Why do people assume that the Empire has better tech?

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Top Cap
Redshirt

Re: Why do people assume that the Empire has better tech?

Post by Top Cap »

Darth Tedious wrote:
Metahive wrote:Seriously, what's the deal with you? Can't even try and leave with a modicum of dignity?
We are talking about an entity that is willing to lie about an episode of Star Trek...
Obvious Troll wrote:Picard turns to Worf after he sees the eruption they are heading into and gives the order "SHIELDS!"
Seriously, it was a question. Note the raised inflection at the end of the word...

"Shields?"

Clearly showing the inflection to be if the shields are available and to have them raised, clearly showing and hearing Worf raise them using tactical and then reply.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Oh this is rich. Another paranoid jackass with the Vast Warsie Conspiracy bug accusing me of trying to suppress his noble argument.

Dickhead, I don't give a fuck about what you were arguing. And I certainly didn't just make shit up on the fly just to "hide" the truth or whatever childish claim you're trying to make. Furthermore, YOU are the one who failed to acknowledge the admin. Get a life, get a grip and grow the fuck up. This is a web board. Now get out.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

What backpedalling!

It was "Shields?"

Not "SHIELDS!!!"

Concession accepted.
Dalton wrote:Another paranoid jackass with the Vast Warsie Conspiracy bug accusing me of trying to suppress his noble argument.
You tyrant! You silenced another one! :lol:
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Beanie wrote:I will tell you what you show me the post between my warning and my ban where i refer to Serafina in a insulting way or in fact at all and i will leave without needing to be banned with a apology and never to return how about that?
OK, he's gone now but on the off chance that he's still watching that would be the part where you referred to Serafina as "he" and then went all pissy and indignant upon being corrected.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Mercenario
Redshirt

Post by Mercenario »

@Destructionator XIII
Interestingly, there are roads in Trek cities wide enough for ground cars, as well as the bridge in san fran, but we never see any traffic. I wonder what they use them for. Is it just historical stuff still maintained?
Not so much. Consider the fact, that teleporters were not around all the time. At the most 150 years open to everyone. (At the most)

"Cars" would not have disappeared in the blink of an eye either.
Then you would always think of needing a backup for transportation.
An other fact is, that some things like bridges are quite famous and a Landmark of the city.
They are probably building back roads, but this takes time and will never be complete.

@Dalton
You know his Ban was unjustified. Trying to insult him for pointing it out is quite weak.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Maybe you should read the rules of this board before you question my authority.
To Absent Friends

Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Sorry, I know this is going to get barrelled, but I couldn't resist.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

So, Mercenario, just exactly how was this ban unjustified? I'm all-err,eyes, as it turns out, this being a visual medium.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Luke Skywalker
Padawan Learner

Post by Luke Skywalker »

Question: Dalton, are you an Amin? Because DW and AK have Amin tags, and they're the same person, but you have a gov tag. Did he appoint you Amin in his absence or something?
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Liberals opposed slavery, supported labor protection laws, supported civil rights, supported Womens' right, opposed the spoils system, supported Scientific advancement and research and support gay marriage. Conservatives did the opposite. Guess which side has the intellectual, forward thinking progressives, and which side has rich fundamentalist anti-gay white slave owners?
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Luke Skywalker wrote:Question: Dalton, are you an Amin? Because DW and AK have Amin tags, and they're the same person, but you have a gov tag. Did he appoint you Amin in his absence or something?
Yes. See The Wookiee. Check the Staff listing thread.
To Absent Friends

Ahriman238
Sith Marauder

Post by Ahriman238 »

Interestingly, there are roads in Trek cities wide enough for ground cars, as well as the bridge in san fran, but we never see any traffic. I wonder what they use them for. Is it just historical stuff still maintained?
I dimly recall that in the first Dixon Hill holodeck episode, where Picard makes personal use of the holodeck for the first time, he was deeply amused by the prescence of cars and was gushing about it to the rest of the command staff. He did have to stop and think about what they were called for a second, though.
"Any plan which requires the direct intervention of any deity to work can be assumed to be a very poor one."- Newbiespud
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Both Kirk and Spock were fascinated by automobiles in 'A Piece of the Action'. When Kirk tried to drive it hilarity ensued.
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

Ahriman238 wrote:
I dimly recall that in the first Dixon Hill holodeck episode, where Picard makes personal use of the holodeck for the first time, he was deeply amused by the prescence of cars and was gushing about it to the rest of the command staff. He did have to stop and think about what they were called for a second, though.
It makes sense that he would know what a car was without straining his brain- most people today are highly unlikely to see a chariot outside of a museum or historical recreation, but we all know what they're called and what they look like.
Batman wrote:So, Mercenario, just exactly how was this ban unjustified? I'm all-err,eyes, as it turns out, this being a visual medium.
I'd be interested in the answer to that, too.
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Note: I sent him a warning to reply to my post. He failed to do so.
To Absent Friends

Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

A good point. I think the main difference would be adults vs children- adults having the advantage of education (history classes and study of literature). Many 6 year-olds probably don't know what a chariot is- yet.

We can only speculate, but I'd lean towards cars having had a decent amount of cultural impact.
Picard does read a bit, and most 20th century literature contains cars...

Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

Top Cap wrote:
Darth Tedious wrote:
Metahive wrote:Seriously, what's the deal with you? Can't even try and leave with a modicum of dignity?
We are talking about an entity that is willing to lie about an episode of Star Trek...
Obvious Troll wrote:Picard turns to Worf after he sees the eruption they are heading into and gives the order "SHIELDS!"
Seriously, it was a question. Note the raised inflection at the end of the word...

"Shields?"

Clearly showing the inflection to be if the shields are available and to have them raised, clearly showing and hearing Worf raise them using tactical and then reply.
We hear him press some buttons, which is far from definitive proof that he was raising the shields, rather than getting some detailed info regarding their status.

Again we have numerous sources against your interpretation and supporting ours.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

I just found out that we have evidence for yottaton level firepower from the ICS... 1,000 km ball of ice melted means about 10 yottatons per barrel with two prow mounted guns.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

Norade wrote:I just found out that we have evidence for yottaton level firepower from the ICS... 1,000 km ball of ice melted means about 10 yottatons per barrel with two prow mounted guns.
Um, how so? Just running the numbers through the on-site asteroid calculator, I get substantially lower firepower - on the order of tens of petatons. Which is also more in line with the typical ICS figures.

Even vaporisation energy is nowhere near yottatons.

EDIT: Just to give some perspective, a yottaton is roughly equivalent to 4e33 joules; in other words, sufficient firepower to mass-scatter an Earth-like planet. This is the kind of firepower a low-end Death Star might mount, but probably not a small frigate.
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Melting 1 gram of ice = 314 joules.
1000km sphere = 5.24E+17 m3
1 cubic meter of ice = 918.7 kilograms
Thus melting the entirety of a sphere of ice would be 1.51E+26 joules, that means you're at around the tens/hundreds of petatons range. I messed up when converting between joules and megatons as 1e26 joules would be a yottajoule, however a yottajoule isn't a yottaton.
Last edited by Norade on 2011-07-03 09:57am, edited 2 times in total.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Darth Hoth wrote:
Norade wrote:I just found out that we have evidence for yottaton level firepower from the ICS... 1,000 km ball of ice melted means about 10 yottatons per barrel with two prow mounted guns.
Um, how so? Just running the numbers through the on-site asteroid calculator, I get substantially lower firepower - on the order of tens of petatons. Which is also more in line with the typical ICS figures.

Even vaporisation energy is nowhere near yottatons.

EDIT: Just to give some perspective, a yottaton is roughly equivalent to 4e33 joules; in other words, sufficient firepower to mass-scatter an Earth-like planet. This is the kind of firepower a low-end Death Star might mount, but probably not a small frigate.
Yeah, I knew the power of a yottaton from articles on the Eclipse and her main gun. I figured that it might be off, but then I thought that a thousand kilometer lump of ice is pretty big. Then it turned out I fucked up when changing between units.
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Norade wrote:Melting 1 gram of ice = 314 joules.
Thus melting the entirety of a sphere of ice would be 1.51E+26 joules, that means you're at around the tens/hundreds of petatons range. I messed up when converting between joules and megatons as 1e26 joules would be a yottajoule, however a yottajoule isn't a yottaton.
Yeah, but the problem is that those guns are huge, fixed axis ones, they have fuckoff huge long recharge rates (something like half an hour IIRC assuming you ramp up to max power) and they can't fire very many times before running out of juice.

Moreover, firing the thing has incredibly brutal recoil which has its own problems.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Connor MacLeod wrote:
Norade wrote:Melting 1 gram of ice = 314 joules.
Yeah, but the problem is that those guns are huge, fixed axis ones, they have fuckoff huge long recharge rates (something like half an hour IIRC assuming you ramp up to max power) and they can't fire very many times before running out of juice.

Moreover, firing the thing has incredibly brutal recoil which has its own problems.
Oh, of course. They're not the second coming or something, but they can trash something very swiftly if they get an ambush off. They actually still pound out more power in a half hour with recharge as an ISD does firing constantly at the projected 2 teratons per second per gun mount. The only way they lose is if that 2 teratons is per barrel which, in light of what we've seen wouldn't be out of line.