More Trek-tacular fantasies

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Jawawithagun
Jedi Master

Re: More Trek-tacular fantasies

Post by Jawawithagun »

Batman wrote: They're also almost invariably used in an earth-normal presumably sea level atmosphere, so unless the phaser beam was heavier than air it would simply float.
And if they're too light they curve upwards?
"I said two shot to the head, not three." (Anonymous wiretap, Dallas, TX, 11/25/63)

Only one way to make a ferret let go of your nose - stick a fag up its arse!

there is no god - there is no devil - there is no heaven - there is no hell
live with it
- Lazarus Long
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Jawawithagun wrote:
Batman wrote: They're also almost invariably used in an earth-normal presumably sea level atmosphere, so unless the phaser beam was heavier than air it would simply float.
And if they're too light they curve upwards?
Hey, at least crosswinds could finally explain why we see phasers fire off-axis :D
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Jawawithagun
Jedi Master

Post by Jawawithagun »

Batman wrote:Hey, at least crosswinds could finally explain why we see phasers fire off-axis :D
I still prefer to claim incompetent maintenance staff. :mrgreen:
"I said two shot to the head, not three." (Anonymous wiretap, Dallas, TX, 11/25/63)

live with it
- Lazarus Long
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

What I find most entertaining about these traktards is that they always assume the DS would use it's superlaser on the Borg Cube. Seriously, that's just dumb. It's like saying I'll use the Tsar Bomba to get rid of a small but slightly irritating ant.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Well to be fair to them. The Empire does have a habit of using overkill just for the lulz.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

That's true, but this takes overkill to an impossibly new level. I would have thought that ion cannons would have been more effective against the Borg anyhow.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

Imperial sensor jamming would have a pretty devastating effect on the collective. If the DS was faced with a Borg cube, they would probably be scratching their heads for a while wondering what the derelict box was for...
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Jawawithagun
Jedi Master

Post by Jawawithagun »

Dunno. They might not. Trek subspace sensors being based on a totally different principle to sensors in use in SW (or a principle that has fallen out of use) might mean that SW jammers do not work with them.

Think of it like this - everybody in SW uses RADAR and all the jammers are designed to jam RADAR signals. Along comes a Feddie ship, with SONAR sensors - which the RADAR jammers do bugger all about.

Which does not say that ST sensors are actually effective. It might very well be that the SW equivalent principle fell out of use because advances in shipbuilding made them useless or that SW engines put out the ST-sensor-jamming-exotic-particle-of-the-week as a matter of course and so that line was never pursued.

Or that SW ships damaged subspace so much thousands of years ago it is still unusable.

live with it
- Lazarus Long
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Or that there is no subspace in Star Wars at all thus rendering the Fedies sensors usles...

But the fact that they don't seem to be able to sense through thick materials should be a problem either way. That and the fact that the Death Star would put out idiotic levels of emissions. I mean we have so many people, generators, weapons and all sort of stuff radiating outward from the largest battle station ever built. That alone might just overwhelm the Borg sensors.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Jawawithagun
Jedi Master

Post by Jawawithagun »

Purple wrote:Or that there is no subspace in Star Wars at all thus rendering the Fedies sensors usles...
Wasn't there some stuff in one of the novels about them using subspace stuff in pre-Republic times?

live with it
- Lazarus Long
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

According to the EGWT and HTTE if nothing else, they still use subspace for short range FTL communications in the OT an on era, so whether or not they still use it for sensors, subspace (in some form or other) definitely exists in Wars.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

So if they use it for short-range comms, it stands to reason they'd have jammers to fuck up the other side's communications. So they'd be able to use com jammers to stuff the Borg.

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:So if they use it for short-range comms, it stands to reason they'd have jammers to fuck up the other side's communications. So they'd be able to use com jammers to stuff the Borg.
No need for 'stands to reason', comm jammers are explicitly mentioned in the EGWT :D
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Wonderful. So we have a cannon thing here saying that SW has subspace jammers. Sweet.

Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

Wow, thanks for sourcing that! I knew I'd heard about it somewhere.

Can you imagine what blanketing all subspace transmission frequencies (besides the Imperial channel) with static would do to the Collective? :twisted:

The very idea of it stops Borgwankers in their tracks! Scares 'em silly!
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I believe their, and the Borg's response would be something like "Does Not Compute" :D

Jawawithagun
Jedi Master

Post by Jawawithagun »

Could be fun though. They come out near the denser populated areas of the SW galaxy and are hit with the sheer amount of subspace noise generated by billions upon billions of beings communicating.

live with it
- Lazarus Long
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

SD Captain: What is that box, Lieutenant?
Lieutenant: I've no idea, sir. It appears to be derelict.
SD Captain: (scratches head) :wtf: Send a boarding party, I suppose. Tell them to be cautious anyway.

Stormtroopers board the cube, find Borg drones on the floor spasming and writhing in pain...

Ryag Han
Youngling

Post by Ryag Han »

here's an interesting about SW jammers: they, when used in massive numbers like with the DS, actually disturb space around it. what would that do to a trek subspace scanner? they would almost totally blind if they get to close.
95% of people laugh at other people because they are different. Copy this into your profile if you are a part of the 5% that laughs at the other 95% because they're all the same

RAT-FLAIR
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Wait, don't they also need subspace for Warp drive? In that case won't the jamming also mess up that?

Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Purple wrote:Wait, don't they also need subspace for Warp drive? In that case won't the jamming also mess up that?
Um-not necessarily?
1. Radar jammers are a given in any modern day battlefield. Guess what-visible light still manages to function the way we're used to. Wars subspace comm jammers need not have any effect on any part of subspace other than the select portion used for short range FTL communications.
2. There was no mention I recall of the the DS's jamming until the Rebel snubfighters got rather close to the DS. At which point one suspects the Borg would have slowed to impulse anyway, what with a)that being their standard procedure far as we can tell and b) NOT doing so essentially means overshooting the target by a couple million kilometres.
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

Heard a funny one today, Borg related of course, involving 7 of 9 "getting the drop" on an Imperial Boarding party after the ship surrenders and Assimilating them, then Assimilating the Entire ISD, sure enough he used Han and Luke's "Infiltration" of the DS1 as "Proof" that it would work.

When I went on for pretty much an entire page worth on reasons why that wouldn't work, he brought up "Amanda Rogers" as if that was somehow an instant win.
Jawawithagun
Jedi Master

Post by Jawawithagun »

Azron_Stoma wrote:When I went on for pretty much an entire page worth on reasons why that wouldn't work, he brought up "Amanda Rogers" as if that was somehow an instant win.
The Borg have already assimilated the Q Continuum while I wasn't looking?

live with it
- Lazarus Long
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

Nah, more as a "Amanda Rogers would save the day" kind of thing, figuring that since "Amanda Rogers" is basically a translation of "Mary Sue" that it was somehow valid.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Why Amanda? Involving any of the Trek quasiomnipotents is effectively an admission the Borg can't hack it anyway, I'm just wondering why they picked her.