The Yuuzhan Vong vs Species 8472

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Re: The Yuuzhan Vong vs Species 8472

Post by Baffalo »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Given that the Borg apparently have absolutely zero imagination for ideas or technology (hence why they assimilate things and people) I don't find it surprising at all they didn't think up such an idea

On a side note, I think you might have Quantum torpedoes wrong. IIRC, its not a quantum singularity but rather a ZPF effect. Or some technobabble to that effect.

Even if they do have such an idea, it would take a lot of time and effort to put the plan into action, certainly a lot more than using Voyager's nanite plan, and the ever-effecient collective will go wit the easier option
While I'm certainly not arguing the fact that the Borg assimilate and adapt, and thus incapable of independent research, the point I was trying to make was that I thought that's what they had the Queen for. Her role was to give guidance and unity to the voices, to put them towards a task and think of solutions that escape the comprehension of the hive mind.

And as far as simply implementing the nanite idea, wouldn't that just prove to the Borg that they need a set of brains independent to think of ideas and come up with unique solutions? Just use the assimilation techniques to make sure they are loyal to the Borg, set them to task, and let them think of ideas and solutions that can then be run by the Borg Queen. It just seems to me that the Borg are no longer threats to anyone but themselves and anyone unfortunate to get in the way of their stupidity.

And I agree with what SFDebris said about technobabble in that it's been so overdone and used to such an extent that it makes science seem like magic, when infact it's the exact opposite. In Star Trek, they take ideas and then abandon them for the simple reason the writers can't get their heads out of their ass. Technology is both their friend and enemy, the deus ex machina of both good and evil. It makes me sick.
"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Re: The Yuuzhan Vong vs Species 8472

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

If you were to trigger a quantum singularity inside fluidic space, what you'd probably get is a quasar, whether that would suck in all of fluidic space depends on just what the fuck "Fluidic space" is made of. Hell, it might even result in a supermassive black hole, though I can't say for sure. Certainly it wouldn't be anything good for the ships inside it though. And if the Vong are bringing their worldships to the party (as opposed to Vong worlds), then species 8472 have to turn their planet-busting weapons on those, which raises the question of how dovin basals and Yorik Coral would interact with the planet-busting beam, bearing in mind it seems to be a chain reaction weapon.