Technology advancement is not linear

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Re: Technology advancement is not linear

Post by Captain Seafort »

Batman wrote:If memory serves that's just how they FOUND them. They were running away from some OTHER scenario, and that blind jump (which was ruined by a comet being in the way IIRC) was what put them on top of the Katana fleet.
My recollection is that they ran into an Imperial squadron, jumped out into the Katana fleet, mistook the two Dreadnaughts they jumped in front of for Imperial ships, and jumped again. It was the second jump that caused problems.
And that blind jump ending up badly was INCREDIBLY bad luck. You have to remember just how incredibly EMPTY space is.
True, but even if you've got a mean free path of hundreds or thousands of light years the speed of hyperspace significantly increases the chances of running into something.
BLACKSUN2000
Youngling

Post by BLACKSUN2000 »

Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!-Lacan

Yes, we will destroy god. That is our purpose... That is our destiny!-Grahf
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

Not to mention this excerpt.

When done, however, the battle station would be 160 kilometers in diameter. There would be twenty-four zones, twelve in each hemisphere. Every zone, called a sprawl, would have its own food replicators, hangar bays, hydroponics, detention blocks, medical centers, armories, command centers, and every other facility needed to provide service for any mission deemed necessary. Death Star pg-21
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I did not even know about those. But somehow it figures.

In that case, it seems to me that the only thing missing is Greek Fire. :mrgreen:
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
BLACKSUN2000
Youngling

Post by BLACKSUN2000 »

Yeah I missed a few, I was admittedly in a hurry and strapped for time :P

Either way purple probably didn't know(he does now)and superscaleconstruct was making hasty generalized misconceptions. (which they can't back up, even if their life depended on it)
Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!-Lacan

Star Wars 888
Padawan Learner

Post by Star Wars 888 »

SuperScaleConstruct wrote:In looking at the general consensus here about how superior Star Wars tech is compared to Star Trek tech, there is one major fallacy which everyone seems to buy into. It is this idea that the advancement of civilization and technological progress must be seen as a linear thing. It is not and generally has not been throughout human history.
Technology isn't completely linear, but it does follow a general trend.
for example the Roman Empire had running water and sewer systems which were not duplicated for 1200 years.
Good point on that.
Greek fire allowed naval superiority for ancient Greece and the chemical formulation of it is not understood to this day.
Yet modern day explosives are far more powerful than greek fire by several orders of magnitude.

What would happen if say, an army with Bronze weapons, horses and good hygiene and plenty of supplies went up against an army on foot with no medicine but had Steel weapons and armor? Do you see the point? It is simplistic to declare one thing utterly superior to the other when in reality there could be a 1001 differences which add complications.
That's a faulty analogy. Renaissance and beyond medicinal technology was superior to Classical era technology.
To put this back into a scifi scenario which always strikes me is this comparison of hyperdrive to warp. Hyperdrive is an order of magnitude faster then warp. Ok, thats fine, that is exactly what we see according to the plots in the cannon. But what else do we see that are the differences between them? It is funny how everyone ignores this part because there are other significant differences.

EMERGENCY!
Captain Picard "get us out of here, any heading, warp 9"! maximum 3 seconds for the ship to disappear
Han Solo "Chewie angle the deflectors while I make the calculations for the jump to light speed!" minimum 30 seconds of evasive maneuvers before the ship is prepared to jump

navigation:
"It is generally a good idea fly in a straight line at warp speed to avoid tearing the ship apart" however there are countless examples of course corrections at warp speed due to obstacles. Or even firing weapons and performing tactical maneuvers at warp speed.

Han Solo "These are the coordinates, but isn't here it is totally blown away! We flew right into an asteriod field, Alderran where dat?" every instance while in hyperspace the crew seems totally incommunicado with the outside world.
The advantages of warp over hyperdrive does not come near to making up for the advantages of hyperdrive over warp. It's like comparing a car to a horse (actually, that analogy is toned down; hyperdrive is hundreds of thousands of time faster than warp). A horse may have some advantages over a car, but in a war automobile based transports would give that side a HUGE logistical, strategic and tactical advantage over a side that still uses horses for transportation.
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Honestly personally I think it's usually a little silly to say one fictional universe is more "advanced" than the other because most of the time different authors make totally different assumptions about what is technologically easy/hard. Of course this is an argument from author intent and therefore inadmissable in versus debating, but assuming all fiction works by the same physics is just a convenience to make versus debating easier, and I don't think really needs to be taken as anything more.

Unless they're in the same continuity I generally prefer to simply leave it at "Universe A has greater capabilities in XYZ areas than Universe B."
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

If you look at the original thread by this poster, he makes an extremely similar argument. It is interesting that it was long enough ago that it would most likely be forgotten by most posters. It can be found here: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=129354
BLACKSUN2000
Youngling

Post by BLACKSUN2000 »

Well, looks like he was being a troll even back then, I can't say I'm suprised.