What universe would you rather live in??

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Re: What universe would you rather live in??

Post by Junghalli »

BLACKSUN2000 wrote:Yeah nevermind the fact that the alien of the week is somtimes fucking with/destroying (insert random colony or outpost)
Yeah, but that kind of thing mostly seems to happen to podunk border colonies with relatively tiny populations. There have been a rather worrying number of incidents where Earth was threatened, but the only incident I can remember offhand involving a Federation core world that might actually have killed substantial numbers of (non-Starfleet) people was the Dominion invasion of Betazed.

Personally I'd feel pretty safe if I was dumped sometime during Kirk's era and given assurance my presence wouldn't effect the timeline, less so if I was dumped into TNG when something like a third, more successful Borg attack could plausibly happen in the near future.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

BLACKSUN2000 wrote:
The odds that you as a random Federation citizen will have to worry about getting killed or dicked with by random aliens of the week are probably much lower.
Yeah nevermind the fact that the alien of the week is somtimes fucking with/destroying (insert random colony or outpost)
Yeah, nevermind the fact this doesn't happen all that often and it also happens in Star Wars (though less 'random anomaly' and more 'oh shit extragalactic invaders/sith army/stormtroopers/whatever')
The colony at Rana destroyed by the husnock in the "survivors", the colony destroyed by the giant space snowflake, the outpost slaughtered in the arena....I could go on there are tons of examples that show they aren't isolated inccidents. They don't have to be R/G shirts, they can be average schmoes too.
I wonder how many average schmoes were killed when the Yuzhan Vong invaded Coruscant. I am pretty sure that one example completely outweighs any of the above examples from Trek, where those planets had anywhere from a couple dozen people to a couple thousand, while Coruscant had a trillion if not more people living there until the Vong came and fucked it up.

Whatever weird space thing seems to cause trouble in the Federation, Starfleet usually finds a way to deal with it.
Like I said the whole random entity fucking with you is only a small part of why I wouldn't want to live in the federation. The biggest reason is that it's easier to get your own personal ship and actually make money(and not get looked at in contempt) in SW.
Yeah, it's not like I said all the way back on page one that there are plenty of examples of freelancers in Trek who own their own ships and make their own way through the galaxy.
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

Stofsk wrote: Yeah, it's not like I said all the way back on page one that there are plenty of examples of freelancers in Trek who own their own ships and make their own way through the galaxy.
Its not that they don't exist it is more that it is easier to do so in the Star Wars family almost like buying a boat in modern times. And the one Star Trek episode where I saw a privately owned star ship the crew of the Enterprise treated the guy like a freak.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

hunter5 wrote:
Stofsk wrote: Yeah, it's not like I said all the way back on page one that there are plenty of examples of freelancers in Trek who own their own ships and make their own way through the galaxy.
Its not that they don't exist it is more that it is easier to do so in the Star Wars family almost like buying a boat in modern times. And the one Star Trek episode where I saw a privately owned star ship the crew of the Enterprise treated the guy like a freak.
Define 'easier'. We don't know how cheap/easy it is to get a personal starship in Trek, although even Quark managed to get a warp-capable shuttle one time in DS9.

As for the crew of the Enterprise treating a guy like a freak, red herring. It has nothing to do with my point. In any event, so what? Who cares whether the Enterprise crew dislike them? Mudd flew into an unstable asteroid field and stupidly got his ship destroyed, while the pursuing Enterprise was damaged; I'd be pissed off at him myself if I was in Kirk's shoes. Similarly, Cyrano Jones' antics with the tribbles was annoying, and yet Jones wasn't treated like a freak but merely given a bit of poetic justice. He wasn't even thrown in prison, he was just given the task of picking up every tribble on Deep Space Station K7. Cassidy Yates wasn't treated like a freak either, but formed a relationship with Sisko.

The point is if you want a personal starship to do business with, you can do it in Star Trek just as readily as you can in Star Wars. People in this thread are acting like it's somehow impossible to get your own ship in Star Trek which is nonsense. We've seen independent traders and merchantmen, freighter captains, there was one guy in 'Operation: Annhilate' who flew his own ship into the Deneva's sun, we've seen mercenaries and rebels who have their own ships as well.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Stofsk wrote:
The colony at Rana destroyed by the husnock in the "survivors", the colony destroyed by the giant space snowflake, the outpost slaughtered in the arena....I could go on there are tons of examples that show they aren't isolated inccidents. They don't have to be R/G shirts, they can be average schmoes too.
I wonder how many average schmoes were killed when the Yuzhan Vong invaded Coruscant. I am pretty sure that one example completely outweighs any of the above examples from Trek, where those planets had anywhere from a couple dozen people to a couple thousand, while Coruscant had a trillion if not more people living there until the Vong came and fucked it up.

Whatever weird space thing seems to cause trouble in the Federation, Starfleet usually finds a way to deal with it
This is hardly equivalent in scale comparing Coruscant to low populated colonies (rather than Earth) as it is the capital of the galaxy full of highly populated worlds.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

Stofsk wrote:
hunter5 wrote:
Define 'easier'. We don't know how cheap/easy it is to get a personal starship in Trek, although even Quark managed to get a warp-capable shuttle one time in DS9.

As for the crew of the Enterprise treating a guy like a freak, red herring. It has nothing to do with my point. In any event, so what? Who cares whether the Enterprise crew dislike them? Mudd flew into an unstable asteroid field and stupidly got his ship destroyed, while the pursuing Enterprise was damaged; I'd be pissed off at him myself if I was in Kirk's shoes. Similarly, Cyrano Jones' antics with the tribbles was annoying, and yet Jones wasn't treated like a freak but merely given a bit of poetic justice. He wasn't even thrown in prison, he was just given the task of picking up every tribble on Deep Space Station K7. Cassidy Yates wasn't treated like a freak either, but formed a relationship with Sisko.

The point is if you want a personal starship to do business with, you can do it in Star Trek just as readily as you can in Star Wars. People in this thread are acting like it's somehow impossible to get your own ship in Star Trek which is nonsense. We've seen independent traders and merchantmen, freighter captains, there was one guy in 'Operation: Annhilate' who flew his own ship into the Deneva's sun, we've seen mercenaries and rebels who have their own ships as well.
This is true we do not really see how most of the other races live there could be loads of civilian craft in other areas besides the Federation. Based on what I have seen in the show it is rare for a person to own a private ship to the point that most people find it distasteful or down right weird at least in Federation space.
RowanE
Redshirt

Post by RowanE »

Soontir C'boath wrote:
I wasn't "assuming" it, it was a hypothesis. A possibility.
Do not play semantic bullshit. A hypothesis is an assumption that is to be tested of its validity. What you did was made the wrong assumption of Padme's non-ability with the force. There is no possibility because we know she isn't. Jesus fucking Christ on a bike.
Before I knew she wasn't, I considered it a possibility. Is that so wrong?
Soontir C'boath wrote:
Unlike the Sith and the Jedi, the Organians are mainly on one planet, and don't intefere much with outside affairs. That said, there's an assload of various Q-like beings in the trek galaxy. but they're not humans.
Interfering and stopping dead cold Klingon and Federation affairs, two major powers in their side of the galaxy, is more than "not much".

How is not being human make them less threatening when in fact it should make it more? Especially when Q can appear upon you, play with you, or take you away at his whim. How is this not more frightening since the ability to defend yourselves from them is zilch. The Federation was lucky Q had an interest in them. At least you can kill a Jedi with enough blaster bolts.
Soontir C'boath wrote:
In the wars universe, there's a number of people who are quantifiably (midichlorian count) better than you, some can kill you with a whim. They're luckier than you, even. If you're not born that way, you will never have that power. These superior human beings live in your civilization, and you will never even compete with them at what they put their minds to. Isn't that a terrifying thought?
No, because people now are already born into a better life or do things better than others. Should I be afraid of Hawkins because of his superior intellect or Derek Jeter for being a much better athletic player than I can ever be?
Soontir C'boath wrote:They may attribute things that happen in their life because of luck, brain power, physical prowess, etc.
Not only would these people be better athletes than you, but you can tell that with a blood test. Your neighbour has a child with a high midichlorian count, and you don't? Guess which one's going to harvard. Doesn't matter if your kid studies harder, either, the other kid is luckier than yours too. Oh, and he can kill you with his mind with a bit of practice. That's not like successfil people in the real world, these guys are more like some kind of aryan supermen.
Soontir C'boath wrote:
I was thinking more in general. Besides shooting at it, what interaction does the imp navy have with civilian vessels?
Defending them. I can't believe you even had to ask that question. You actually have in your head civilian ships cleared to take off from the spaceport being shot down by Imperial vessels?

Are you thinking this because of the Millennium Falcon's escape from Tatooine? :lol:
What Imperial vessels do to civilian ships that are cleared to take off from the spaceport do is fuck all. A federation ship doing fuck-all to you and an imperial vessel doing fuck-all to you is exactly the same.

[quote="Soontir C'boath]
But, thinking about it, the deadliness of ships is relative anyway. The more relevant issue in question here is, can a star trek ship kill another star trek ship as easily as a similar matchup of star wars ships? And I can tell that's too vague a question to easily answer definitively, so is it best to just say it's about the same?
No. Why do you insist on making unquantified assumptions and then making a conclusion from them?

A Star Wars troop transport has turbolaser batteries rated at a firepower of 200 gigatons per shot. The Federation has photon torpedoes rated at about 60 megatons. The former will crush the Federation like nothing. [/quote]

Thinking on that statement I made earlier, it doesn't really make sense. But you've missed my point completely anyway.
The 200 gigatons the SW transport has doesn't affect ST at all. What it affects is other SW ships, and they have comparable firepower. They also have comparable defenses.
There's not much that a star trek ship and a star wars ship will both have to kill that's in any way equivalent, so it doesn't matter if star wars ships are deadlier, because they fight ships that are much tougher and deadlier anyway, so it balances out. The only exceptions i can think of are asteroids and asteroid fields that can be avoided, and undefended, unshielded ships and planets. And so deadlier ships in SW is only a plus if i want to butcher civilians, hm?
Soontir C'boath
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

RowanE wrote:
Soontir C'boath wrote:
I wasn't "assuming" it, it was a hypothesis. A possibility.
Do not play semantic bullshit. A hypothesis is an assumption that is to be tested of its validity. What you did was made the wrong assumption of Padme's non-ability with the force. There is no possibility because we know she isn't. Jesus fucking Christ on a bike.
Before I knew she wasn't, I considered it a possibility. Is that so wrong?
Yes, because you are making an argument under ignorance and you could have looked it up.
Not only would these people be better athletes than you, but you can tell that with a blood test. Your neighbour has a child with a high midichlorian count, and you don't? Guess which one's going to harvard. Doesn't matter if your kid studies harder, either, the other kid is luckier than yours too.
Being able to identify them does not change the fact that they are still better than you and there are people now who are more fortunate and/or affluent than others. A person in an African shithole will always have crappier luck and opportunities than someone in a first world nation. Or if you want a fairer comparison, a person living in a ghetto has less chance than someone living in a good suburban family.
Oh, and he can kill you with his mind with a bit of practice. That's not like successfil people in the real world, these guys are more like some kind of aryan supermen.
I like how you ignored that beings like the Q can do just as if not far worse and are nigh-invulnerable. If you want a humanoid example in ST, you can look no further then Charlie. He wields mental powers and used them dangerously. Now stop pussyfooting.
What Imperial vessels do to civilian ships that are cleared to take off from the spaceport do is fuck all. A federation ship doing fuck-all to you and an imperial vessel doing fuck-all to you is exactly the same.
What argument are you even trying to convey here? :wtf:
Thinking on that statement I made earlier, it doesn't really make sense. But you've missed my point completely anyway.
The 200 gigatons the SW transport has doesn't affect ST at all. What it affects is other SW ships, and they have comparable firepower. They also have comparable defenses.
There's not much that a star trek ship and a star wars ship will both have to kill that's in any way equivalent, so it doesn't matter if star wars ships are deadlier, because they fight ships that are much tougher and deadlier anyway, so it balances out. The only exceptions i can think of are asteroids and asteroid fields that can be avoided, and undefended, unshielded ships and planets. And so deadlier ships in SW is only a plus if i want to butcher civilians, hm?
Huh? Gigatons worth of energy in the Star Wars world will still deal gigatons worth of energy in the Star Trek world. :lol: Energy does not magically change to a different number between universes. You are unbelievably stupid.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Soontir C'boath

Oh, and he can kill you with his mind with a bit of practice. That's not like successfil people in the real world, these guys are more like some kind of aryan supermen.
I should respond further that they may not even be proficient enough to even do such a thing. As you have so ignored already, Luke is considered as powerful if not more so than his father and Yoda was fine not training him and letting him roam the universe. He thought the universe would still be fine if Anakin wasn't trained as well.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Soontir C'boath wrote:
Stofsk wrote:

Whatever weird space thing seems to cause trouble in the Federation, Starfleet usually finds a way to deal with it
This is hardly equivalent in scale comparing Coruscant to low populated colonies (rather than Earth) as it is the capital of the galaxy full of highly populated worlds.
Excuse me, but the argument Blacksun was making is that Trek is a lot more dangerous due to unforeseen or unexpected alien aggression. If Trek gets hit hard for shit like 'outpost of a couple dozen men get killed by space lizardmen no one knew about' it's just as relevant as saying in Star Wars, you could be in the centre of the galaxy in the galactic capital and still get fucked due to the Vong invading it.
Jake
Padawan Learner

Post by Jake »

I assume you would test him for midi-chlorians which may still prove nothing. Palpatine can still feigned ignorance and act surprised that he turns out to be force-sensitive.

Heck how would your scenario start off anyway? There were far and few of anything stating his training under the Sith. So how can you possibly know except shear stroke of luck?
Palpatine, being tried on the suspicion of being a Sith, in the Senate Chambers:
Senator A: Senator Palpatine, we have received the results of your medichlorian tests and found that your medichlorian is extremely high, perhaps the highest of any force user....

Palpatine: "Really? What an unexpected surprise...."

Senator A: "Also, upon an extensive search of your apartment suite, we found a sith lightsaber hidden in one of your statues."

Palpatine: "Well, it was obviously planted there by the Jedi, they're plotting to take over the Republic you know..."

Senafor A: "Right, by framing a no name senator from a no name outer rim world.... We also have in our custody a young Zabrak who has identified himself as your sith apprentice."

Palpatine: "Uhhh...."

Yoda: "Think fast you must!" Proceeds to force throw his lightsaber at Palpatine

As for how they would discover Palpatine's alter ego, the OP asked which universe you would like to be in and I said Star Wars, around 10 years before the battle of Naboo so I could be a Jedi and expose Palpatine.
If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you. If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
Chuck Norris' chief export is pain.
They once made a Chuck Norris toilet paper, but it wouldn't take shit from anybody.
Chuck Norris played Russian Roulette with a fully loaded revolver.... and won.
Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.
Chuck Norris once visited the Virgin Islands. They are now the Islands.
Chuck Norris doesn't sleep, he waits.
Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad Chuck Norris has never cried. Ever.
RowanE
Redshirt

Post by RowanE »

Soontir C'boath wrote:Yes, because you are making an argument under ignorance and you could have looked it up.
Okay, so i'm lazy. Meh.
Soontir C'boath wrote:
Not only would these people be better athletes than you, but you can tell that with a blood test. Your neighbour has a child with a high midichlorian count, and you don't? Guess which one's going to harvard. Doesn't matter if your kid studies harder, either, the other kid is luckier than yours too.
Being able to identify them does not change the fact that they are still better than you and there are people now who are more fortunate and/or affluent than others. A person in an African shithole will always have crappier luck and opportunities than someone in a first world nation. Or if you want a fairer comparison, a person living in a ghetto has less chance than someone living in a good suburban family.
Okay, so the existance of force-sensitives isn't that strong a point against it. But it's not a positive, either.
I like how you ignored that beings like the Q can do just as if not far worse and are nigh-invulnerable. If you want a humanoid example in ST, you can look no further then Charlie. He wields mental powers and used them dangerously. Now stop pussyfooting.

The Q, the thasians that gave charlie X his powers, they keep to themselves more than the jedi and sith. But there's still not a lot of powerful force-sensitives anyway so i guess it doesn't matter.
What argument are you even trying to convey here? :wtf:

You implied I thought they were going to shoot at these ships, because I said the main interaction the imperial navy will have with you is shooting at you, if anything. What I'm trying to convey here is the point that if they're not shooting at you, they do fuck-all.
Huh? Gigatons worth of energy in the Star Wars world will still deal gigatons worth of energy in the Star Trek world. :lol: Energy does not magically change to a different number between universes. You are unbelievably stupid.[/quote]

My point is they're not IN the star trek universe :banghead: The advantage of having a deadlier ship is that it's deadlier relative to the ships you fight, so you win those fights. Having ships that are good at killing ships in some other universe is worth fuckall to you. So "deadlier ships" doesn't make life in the SW universe better, unless you're shootng at things that's equally (not)tough, and equally (not)dangerous, in the ST universe. Which means unshielded civilian ships and planets, and random asteroids. Anything else you want to shoot up will be proportionally difficult in each universe, except for maybe different tactical considerations...
Soontir C'boath

Jake wrote:As for how they would discover Palpatine's alter ego, the OP asked which universe you would like to be in and I said Star Wars, around 10 years before the battle of Naboo so I could be a Jedi and expose Palpatine.
That doesn't explain anything. Yoda's a fucking Jedi and he didn't know shit about him being a Sith then. What makes you so special? As I said before, there were barely anything that documented him being a Sith so how do you come across such a discovery? I'm all for taking down Palpatine but you're just wanking.
RowanE wrote:
Soontir C'boath wrote:Yes, because you are making an argument under ignorance and you could have looked it up.
Okay, so i'm lazy. Meh.
Read the rules, retard. If you are going to make an assertion, you have to back it up.
Okay, so the existance of force-sensitives isn't that strong a point against it. But it's not a positive, either.
Explain yourself.
You implied I thought they were going to shoot at these ships, because I said the main interaction the imperial navy will have with you is shooting at you, if anything. What I'm trying to convey here is the point that if they're not shooting at you, they do fuck-all.
You have no concept of what an actual navy does do you?
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

I thought of replying to this earlier, meh, I guess since the OP is about which one we'd rather live in personal preferences are on-topic.
BLACKSUN2000 wrote:Like I said the whole random entity fucking with you is only a small part of why I wouldn't want to live in the federation. The biggest reason is that it's easier to get your own personal ship and actually make money(and not get looked at in contempt) in SW.
Meh, personally I've never cared much for money; as long as Federation society is such that I'd have a comfortable lifestyle in it and be able to write and have an audience that reads and appreciates my work I'd be happy. As for getting my own ship, I'd be very happy just to be able to travel around a Federation of hundreds of worlds and all the diversity and interesting stuff that logically implies, without considering whether I'd get to own a ship or it's more like the real world where most people just book flights. I don't really see why the slower speed of ST FTL would really be a big deal if you want to see stuff; a Federation of over 150 member worlds and 1000 colonies (if I remember the figures brought up at various points right) should really have enough interesting stuff that you could travel around for a lifetime without getting bored, and the Han Solo lifestyle doesn't really appeal very much to me.

Personally I think some of the people who complain about the slow speeds of warp as a factor might be forgetting just how big and diverse a single planet like Earth is, let alone a universe that seems to include hundreds or thousands of such worlds within feasible travel time. I kind of blame pop SF including Star Trek and Star Wars where planets often seem to be portrayed like small countries with only one or two kinds of climate, landscape, and culture. That's pretty ridiculous though so I'd be inclined to write it up to lazy writing and the inherent limitations of only being able to include so much exposition rather than things actually being like that in Trek and Wars in-universe.
Jake
Padawan Learner

Post by Jake »

That doesn't explain anything. Yoda's a fucking Jedi and he didn't know shit about him being a Sith then. What makes you so special? As I said before, there were barely anything that documented him being a Sith so how do you come across such a discovery? I'm all for taking down Palpatine but you're just wanking.
I've seen the movies and read a lot of the books, so I'd be going there with a pretty decent knowledge of future events including (obviously) Palpatine's identity as a Sith.
If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you. If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
Chuck Norris' chief export is pain.
They once made a Chuck Norris toilet paper, but it wouldn't take shit from anybody.
Chuck Norris played Russian Roulette with a fully loaded revolver.... and won.
Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.
Chuck Norris once visited the Virgin Islands. They are now the Islands.
Chuck Norris doesn't sleep, he waits.
Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad Chuck Norris has never cried. Ever.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Junghalli wrote:I thought of replying to this earlier, meh, I guess since the OP is about which one we'd rather live in personal preferences are on-topic.
BLACKSUN2000 wrote:Like I said the whole random entity fucking with you is only a small part of why I wouldn't want to live in the federation. The biggest reason is that it's easier to get your own personal ship and actually make money(and not get looked at in contempt) in SW.
Meh, personally I've never cared much for money; as long as Federation society is such that I'd have a comfortable lifestyle in it and be able to write and have an audience that reads and appreciates my work I'd be happy. As for getting my own ship, I'd be very happy just to be able to travel around a Federation of hundreds of worlds and all the diversity and interesting stuff that logically implies, without considering whether I'd get to own a ship or it's more like the real world where most people just book flights. I don't really see why the slower speed of ST FTL would really be a big deal if you want to see stuff; a Federation of over 150 member worlds and 1000 colonies (if I remember the figures brought up at various points right) should really have enough interesting stuff that you could travel around for a lifetime without getting bored, and the Han Solo lifestyle doesn't really appeal very much to me.
Yeah. I mean, it would be great to own your own ship and go from star to star, but Han Solo tends to get shot at fairly regularly, which would conflict with my chosen lifestyle of staying alive. :)
Personally I think some of the people who complain about the slow speeds of warp as a factor might be forgetting just how big and diverse a single planet like Earth is, let alone a universe that seems to include hundreds or thousands of such worlds within feasible travel time. I kind of blame pop SF including Star Trek and Star Wars where planets often seem to be portrayed like small countries with only one or two kinds of climate, landscape, and culture. That's pretty ridiculous though so I'd be inclined to write it up to lazy writing and the inherent limitations of only being able to include so much exposition rather than things actually being like that in Trek and Wars in-universe.
Lazy writing sure, although it's also due to production limitations. Especially with Star Trek, where every week they have to wrap up the story and warp away to another part of the galaxy, leaving behind the planet we've just gotten through exploring. It's also why aliens start to look exactly the same except for a Michael Westmore-style facial prosthetic, like forehead bumps or nose ridges. You could potentially do several sequential episodes where exploring a particular planet or system could take place. But that would represent a different approach to writing television episodes than what Trek is used to.
Last edited by Stofsk on 2010-07-24 05:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Stofsk wrote:
Junghalli wrote:I thought of replying to this earlier, meh, I guess since the OP is about which one we'd rather live in personal preferences are on-topic.
Yeah. I mean, it would be great to own your own ship and go from star to star, but Han Solo tends to get shot at fairly regularly, which would conflict with my chose lifestyle of staying alive. :)
Don't smuggle for Hutts, and don't try to screw a princess. :P

To be honest, both places aren't bad if you have general freedom and are not the target of some fucking space horror/evil overlord/random conquerer. Though the Federation has some odd views of money given that they have it, if for nothing else...how the fuck do they trade with others. I think TNG just conviently brushed it under the table and tried to forget about it.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Ghost Rider wrote:Don't smuggle for Hutts, and don't try to screw a princess. :P
Good advice for anyone. :)
To be honest, both places aren't bad if you have general freedom and are not the target of some fucking space horror/evil overlord/random conquerer. Though the Federation has some odd views of money given that they have it, if for nothing else...how the fuck do they trade with others. I think TNG just conviently brushed it under the table and tried to forget about it.
I think it's more like they're not capitalists, which is different from saying we've eliminated money entirely. They have some currency, I think they're called 'credits', and there is still an economy, it's just that super-rich dickery capitalism has been eliminated. :)

On the whole, I think Trek was trying to portray a post-scarcity society or something like it, where your material needs are taken care of (no one ever starves because replicators provide food for all, and energy is cheap and plentiful, and so on). It also rejects a consumerist cast-away society, where you have your iPod for a whole five minutes before the next one is released by Apple. I don't have a problem with any of that to be honest. It's a little picture perfect I'll grant you, and the whole concept was as you say, quietly left vague and undescribed.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I just remembered something, which I don't think has been touched upon: While yes, in both ST and SW if you serve on a warship there are several things trying to kill you, at least in SW, your family doesn't come with you.

Worst case scenario in SW if you have a relative on a warship is that said relative dies. In ST, worst case scenario is that you, your family, and your relative die. How pleasant it would be to wake up in the morning, look out the window, and see a giant fucking cube made of PVC pipe which is painted gray destroying your home. In SW, you'd be safe from this. Unless your relative joined the rebellion, in which case, excommunicate him/her ASAP, or you'd best look behind you every so often to make sure no one is trailing you.

And that reminds me, at least in SW, the local military is usually capable of putting up a fight. I can remember countless ST episodes where only the great and powerful U.S.S. Enterprise can destroy the giant snowflake/borg cube/space anomaly. But of course, the local ship(s) are completely losing and/or already smashed to bits by the time the Enterprise gets there. Although, to me this seems more prevalent in the TNG era, I would have less of a problem living in the TOS era, where most of the time Captains were Captains and diplomats were diplomats, not the other way around.

And if I remember correctly, TNG only had money so that they could trade with others, although it was more like space-gold than actual currency.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

In all fairness a lot of the time the problem isn't the local forces not being up to the task but there simply NOT BEING any local forces. And given the volume of Federation leave alone Alpha Quadrant space compared to the limits of Warp drive, even if we take TNG NCC numbers at face value, Starfleet ships, leave alone powerful ones are going to be far and few between.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Stofsk wrote:Lazy writing sure, although it's also due to production limitations.
Yes, that too.
Stofsk wrote:On the whole, I think Trek was trying to portray a post-scarcity society or something like it, where your material needs are taken care of (no one ever starves because replicators provide food for all, and energy is cheap and plentiful, and so on). It also rejects a consumerist cast-away society, where you have your iPod for a whole five minutes before the next one is released by Apple. I don't have a problem with any of that to be honest. It's a little picture perfect I'll grant you, and the whole concept was as you say, quietly left vague and undescribed.
Yeah, that's pretty much my impression of what they were going for: a society that had automation advanced enough that most of the grunt work was handled by machines and a small fraction of the population could produce enough surplus to keep the entire population alive in comfort, combined with a change in values toward a more cooperative, less competitive society.

Personally of late I've come to increasingly respect Trek for at least trying to present a vision of a future that's genuinely different from today (however ineptly it may have been executed), as I've come to find the usual "the future will be fundamentally just like the present, but in space, with lasers" deal increasingly tiresome. Which is probably one reason I've come to find the whole "lol commie evil dictatorship Federation" meme increasingly annoying of late. Although really I think that mostly it's just that the horse has been so thoroughly beaten to death by now, at least here.

Personally I kind of wish the TNG Federation society had been thought out better and fleshed out more. It would be nice to have a big-name SF franchise that presents a genuinely alien but workable and non-dystopian future society (what Eliezer Yudkowsky calls a weirdtopia). It'd be a pretty refreshing break from all the space monarchies and space Americas.
Imperial528 wrote:I just remembered something, which I don't think has been touched upon: While yes, in both ST and SW if you serve on a warship there are several things trying to kill you, at least in SW, your family doesn't come with you.
Don't sign up for Starfleet? Don't bring your family with you if you do? Seems like a problem that would probably be pretty easy to avoid to me.
RowanE
Redshirt

Post by RowanE »

Soontir C'boath wrote:
RowanE wrote:
Okay, so i'm lazy. Meh.
Read the rules, retard. If you are going to make an assertion, you have to back it up.
There's a difference between making an assertion, and not bothering to look into canon to check whether a hypothesis is correct.
Soontir C'boath wrote:
Explain yourself.
I was conceding that the overall effect of the existance of force-sensitive people on quality of life in the SW universe relative to trek is marginal, maybe not worth discussing. But it's still a negative, rather than being a reason to live in the SW universe.
You have no concept of what an actual navy does do you?[/quote]

The only good thing it does is protect against pirates. Besides that, they bombard planets, fight rebels and smugglers, land on top of protesters, and generally act like massive douches. There's a reason they're the bad guys.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Junghalli wrote:*snip*
What are you, a mind reader? I've been thinking the exact same thing. :)
Darksun
Redshirt

Post by Darksun »

Star Wars is much more to my liking than that socialist repressive conformist pc nightmare that is Star Trek where every energy effect/dust cloud/nebula/space fart disrupts the engines/shields/weapons/transporters.

With atrocious engineering and safety standards the federation isn't really any safer. There is a good article on that here: http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Ess ... ering.html. In fact I just finished watching the episode 'New Ground' mentioned in the link.
Jake wrote: Here's a hint: considering aliens in Wars are second class citizens, if you pop up as an alien you're already screwed.
There is actually only anecdotal evidence for this in the form of no aliens seen serving the Empire. I am unsure if the novelizations have more info in that regards. It should be noted before the Empire was formed Palpatine did have aliens in his personal staff.

All this stuff about which galaxy is the safer is kind of moot. The real world can be dangerous but do you go around every day thinking about how you can die, informing every decision you make? All's people have done has proved that both galaxies do have their danger as to be expected.
Junghalli wrote:Yeah, that's pretty much my impression of what they were going for: a society that had automation advanced enough that most of the grunt work was handled by machines and a small fraction of the population could produce enough surplus to keep the entire population alive in comfort, combined with a change in values toward a more cooperative, less competitive society.

Personally of late I've come to increasingly respect Trek for at least trying to present a vision of a future that's genuinely different from today (however ineptly it may have been executed), as I've come to find the usual "the future will be fundamentally just like the present, but in space, with lasers" deal increasingly tiresome. Which is probably one reason I've come to find the whole "lol commie evil dictatorship Federation" meme increasingly annoying of late. Although really I think that mostly it's just that the horse has been so thoroughly beaten to death by now, at least here.
I would agree that they have tried to showcase a better future. The idea of a post-scarcity civlization where energy/food/supplies are cheap and plentiful is appealing. However with no money it takes away a lot of your personal choice and freedom. People like to own things and short of the basic necessities and nick-nacks you don't have much of a choice in socialism. Look at the real world examples, Russia survived for barely 80 years with a mostly totalitarian form of communism. China isn't much better and they had to go partialy capitalist to survive. Neither had a benevolent government however.

The damning points with socialism is that it does not take into account human nature. All excess is shared so those who contribute, loose the incentive to exceed when they get no reward, usually in the form of money. People as a rule just ain't that selfless. In fact you can contribute less, and still get the same reward as someone who provides more. Not all jobs are equal but regardless of the job you do you get the same reward. So where is your incentive? (at least that was my cack handed attempt at remembering the points made in my high school history from 11 years ago)

You are right that they screwed it up, that they have glossed over things. Gene Roddenberry was a socalist and his views filtered into the Federation, they just don't work in reality. I do however like you respect their attempt to try and portray a better future.
RowanE wrote:Looking back, that is a bit of a contradiction. In the post I think you're referring to, I was somehow thinking of the bacta thing, and Padme's death, separately rather than as aspects of medicine in star wars. I'll accept that the quality of medicine is at least about as good as that in star trek.
Star Wars medicine is actually pretty impressive. Vader's spine was replaced with an artificial one and Grevious's brain along with his eyes, heart and lungs was transplanted into a droid body. Just two cannon examples.
RowanE wrote: But, thinking about it, the deadliness of ships is relative anyway. The more relevant issue in question here is, can a star trek ship kill another star trek ship as easily as a similar matchup of star wars ships? And I can tell that's too vague a question to easily answer definitively, so is it best to just say it's about the same?
As deadily as Star Wars ships are, the defensive technologies are just as advanced so I would agree with you.
Stofsk wrote:Define 'easier'. We don't know how cheap/easy it is to get a personal starship in Trek, although even Quark managed to get a warp-capable shuttle one time in DS9.

The point is if you want a personal starship to do business with, you can do it in Star Trek just as readily as you can in Star Wars. People in this thread are acting like it's somehow impossible to get your own ship in Star Trek which is nonsense. We've seen independent traders and merchantmen, freighter captains, there was one guy in 'Operation: Annhilate' who flew his own ship into the Deneva's sun, we've seen mercenaries and rebels who have their own ships as well
By Picard's admission, there is no money in the Federation. How are you going to get a ship without money? Oh I agree there are ways and it is possible in Star Trek, likely however is something else.
Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Darksun wrote:The damning points with socialism is that it does not take into account human nature. All excess is shared so those who contribute, loose the incentive to exceed when they get no reward, usually in the form of money. People as a rule just ain't that selfless. In fact you can contribute less, and still get the same reward as someone who provides more. Not all jobs are equal but regardless of the job you do you get the same reward. So where is your incentive?
It's a completely baseless assumption that in the Federation all jobs are rewarded equally. We know almost nothing about how their economy or really their society in general works, except that they apparently don't use money.