Galactic Federation / United Empire of Planets

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Tom_Kalbfus
Mewling Crybaby

Galactic Federation / United Empire of Planets

Post by Tom_Kalbfus »

Suppose Star Trek and Star Wars switched technologies with Star Wars Retaining the Force.

Captain James T Kirk is now the Captain of a Star Destroyer for the Galactic Federation. What would a typical Star Trek Episode look like in this setting?

"A Long Time Ago in the Spiral Arm of a Galaxy Far Far Away..." Darth Vader in a Imperial Class Heavy Cruser chases down a Diplomatic Ship, and there is an exchange of photon torpedos and phaser fire. Leave the Droids with this Star Wars Universe as they are an essential part of the plot. Though Droids could exist in the altered Star Trek Universe as well.

What do you think, anyone want to take a stab at this?
DatBurnTho11
Youngling

Re: Galactic Federation / United Empire of Planets

Post by DatBurnTho11 »

That is really hard to grasp... Especially because this doesn't really address the industrial disparity between the two of them... And because the political structure in the ST and SW universes are so different. Maybe you should define your scenario a little bit more?
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

If that happens, the GE would instantly fracture - without hyperdrive and holonet, there is no way to maintain a galaxy-spanning government.
The Federation would perhaps conquer the whole AQ or even galaxy and could launch raids into the former GE at will - but only if they are as peaceful as they always claim (which might well be not the case).

In other words:
Everything changes, you just created two completely different sides.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
DatBurnTho11
Youngling

Post by DatBurnTho11 »

Maybe a more interesting scenario would be one in which the Empire's technology and structure is all the same, but is just now being run by the Federation and vice versa. I guess the difference would be political or social. I don't mean to hijack this thread, but is that you were thinking of?

Because then we would basically have Darth Vader as captain of the Enterprise, part of the Federation with warp drive, phasers, subspace, etc. just a different social/political/governmental structure. Additionally, we would have Kirk to be captain of an Imperial Star Destroyer with turbolasers, hyperdrive, etc., but upholding Federation ideals and law.

Otherwise, if it's just a tech switch, I definitely agree with Serafina. I would say that it wouldn't be as interesting a cross-over as it would just fall apart immediately on both sides.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Hang on, Star Trek tech with Imperial values? That sounds like the Mirror Universe to me
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Tom_Kalbfus
Mewling Crybaby

Post by Tom_Kalbfus »

I think Sulu could easily be pictured flying an X-Wing fighter, or fighting off the bad guys with a light saber. I think the Galactic Federation would immediately run up against the Borg with Star War technology if the same Galactic Real Estate is used. The Borg and the Federation would be more equal however, they'll each control their own ends of the galaxy, then there are the Changelings from the Gamma Quadrant etc.

The Empire would of course be much smaller with only Star Trek technology, it would be much like a human version of the Romulan Star Empire, it will have its own space that it controls and it will of course have its neighbors. The Star Wars planets would of course have to be much closer together. The Death Star could still be built of course, but it would have warp engines and be fueled by antimatter.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

You are essentially creating a fanfic - which is fine, tough it think it's a bit too messed up.
Either way, there is not that much we can say about it - there is literary no way to determine what would happen in this case, mostly because there are no rules for it.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Tom_Kalbfus
Mewling Crybaby

Post by Tom_Kalbfus »

Serafina wrote:You are essentially creating a fanfic - which is fine, tough it think it's a bit too messed up.
Either way, there is not that much we can say about it - there is literary no way to determine what would happen in this case, mostly because there are no rules for it.
Use your imagination, its as simple as that.

What would Captain James T. Kirk do as a Star Destroyer Captain?
Lets assume it is your standard Classic Era Star Wars Star Destroyer, not the Super-Star Destroyer. Captain Kirk is on a mission to seek out new life and new civilization in his Star Destroyer, he has the familiar crew on the bridge of the Star Destroyer plus many extras because this bridge is quite a bit larger than the old Enterprise Bridge. Pavel Chekov disengages the hyperdrive and throttles the massive ion engines of the Star Destroyer to bring it into a standard orbit around the planet to be investigated. It is a primitive planet, well the fourth moon of Endor, and Captain Kirk does not want to violate the Prime Directive, so he organizes a landing party and dresses them up as Ewoks, lacking children to fill the role, he dresses them as very tall Ewoks, the step into the bridge elevator and report to the landing bay and board the Lamda Shuttle dressed as a party of tall Ewoks with laser rifles disguised as spears just in case there is any trouble with the natives. The Lamda Shuttle then takes off from the landing bay, passing through the force field which holds in the landing bay atmosphere and enters space unfolding its wings.

The Lamda Shuttle lands in a natural clearing in the woods, folding back its wings as it does so. Five tall "ewoks" descend the ramp from the shuttle. Uhura complains, "I can't see a thing in this 'bear suit'," A golden droid then steps out of the Shuttle also dressed in an ewok costume. Kirk in his ewok costume motions to the golden protocol droid in the ewok costume, "Come over here 'Universal Translator', and stick close, we need to blend it with the natives and not reveal we come from an advanced civilization." Dr. McCoy pulls out his medical kit disguised as a small portable log. A bunch of security personnel file out of the shuttle with ewok costumes covering their white armor, "this is ridicuous," one of them voices from behind his mask.
Uncluttered
Padawan Learner

Post by Uncluttered »

You've now given me horrible horrible nightmare visions.

HR Giger has competition.
I salute you sir.
This is my signature. Soon a fan-boy will use it for an ad hominem.