Trekkie Wall of Text

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

noncredible
Padawan Learner

Trekkie Wall of Text

Post by noncredible »

On RuneScape, I recently set up a Star Wars vs Star Trek thread. Heres the first Trekkie wall of text I got. It took three posts to rip it apart:

ok lets get the facts right the death star means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING not only did they have their own death star in star trek enterprise 200 years before next gen and 100 years before TOS theres also the genesis device which is superior in every single way not only does it create planets (perhaps entire solar systems) it alters atoms at the subatomic level leaving nothing on whichever it is fired at alive and its about 5ft tall also there are only ever two sith at one time therefore two sith in the entire galactic empire also dont overestimate the armour of the empire they may have armour and loads of training and ground artillery but they were defeated by the *woks seriously ewoks creatures about 2ft tall who mistoke an android (whom data would have pwned into another dimension) and while they mave have a huge number of starships remember this the galactic empire couldnt hold down a small rebel movement its as if the maquis took over the cardassian union also the empires sensors are nonexistent while in wars you have to steal a starship/bases plans to find its weaknesses in star trek the computer can get your whole ships layout in a few seconds so that massive gaping hole in the deathstar (the vent the rebels used to blow it up) would have been found immediatly as in the words of kirk the enterprise could find a match lit on a planet also let us consider the MASSIVE inconsistencies on both sides warp factor is not a defined increase of speed there is no apparent consistent speed for anything from warp1 - warp13 or for transwarp speed a perfect example is that while voyager would take 70 years to get from the delta to alpha quadrent wheareas the enterprise has visited the galactic barrier several times and has been to the centre of the galaxy and while star wars ships can move across the galaxy in seconds there is more practical evidence this isnt true so dont go making massively wrong assumptions so theres my rant for the day
"Everything in this room is edible. Even I'm edible. But, that would be called cannibalism. It is looked down upon in most societies."
— Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

"And, if you should come upon this spot, please do not hurry on. Wait for a time, exactly under the star. Then, if a little man appears who laughs, who has golden hair and who refuses to answer questions, you will know who he is. If this should happen, please comfort me. Send me word that he has come back."
— Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
Srelex
Jedi Master

Re: Trekkie Wall of Text

Post by Srelex »

Typical Trekkie bullshit. I hope your shredding was effective?
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

What is this, a circlejerk thread to show how smart you all are? Here's your cookie. Now please stop posting self-congratulatory posts.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
noncredible
Padawan Learner

Post by noncredible »

I'll post it here. On RuneScape you cant use quotes and I dont feel like converting it, so it's just in "":

"ok lets get the facts right the death star means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING"

Except for the fact that it shows how good the Empire's industrial power is. The second Death Star got to be the way it was in ROTJ in FOUR YEARS.

"not only did they have their own death star in star trek enterprise 200 years before next gen and 100 years before TOS"

Can you please provide me the link to that on Memory Alpha or somewhere? I didnt know that.

"theres also the genesis device which is superior in every single way"

According to you.

"not only does it create planets"

Wasnt the planet already there? I always thought the Genesis device just modified it.

"(perhaps entire solar systems)"

Define 'perhaps'. Was it said in the movie, or did you just assume that?

"it alters atoms at the subatomic level leaving nothing on whichever it is fired at alive"

Particle shields.

"and its about 5ft tall"

The Sun Crusher is 'the size of a starfighter' and it carries 11 torpedoes that can each cause a star to supernova. The torpedoes are probably that size or smaller.

"also there are only ever two sith at one time therefore two sith in the entire galactic empire"

Actually, there were the Emperor's Hands and the Inquisitors, and they were all Force-sensitive.

"also dont overestimate the armour of the empire they may have armour"

It can survive hits from blunt objects (such as bullets) and maybe even blaster shots reflected from somewhere, though Im not sure about that.

"and loads of training"

Yep.

"and ground artillery"

Yep.

"but they were defeated by the *woks seriously ewoks creatures about 2ft tall"

There were more of them then there were stormtroopers, the stormtroopers were taken by surpirse, and lots of Ewoks died.

"who mistoke an android"

They had never seen a golden guy before.

"(whom data would have pwned into another dimension)"

Lets see Data pwn the Magnaguard, IG-88, Droidekas, etc.

"and while they mave have a huge number of starships"

Millions of capital ships.

"remember this the galactic empire couldnt hold down a small rebel movement"

The rebels only killed the Emperor and a small amount of troops. The only problem with the Empire was that there was no designated leader, so all of the Grand Admirals started fighting amongst eachother.

"its as if the maquis took over the cardassian union"

I dont watch Voyager, but I can tell you that the Rebels never actually completely took over.

"also the empires sensors are nonexistent"

For example,...?

"while in wars you have to steal a starship/bases plans to find its weaknesses"

Yep.

"in star trek the computer can get your whole ships layout in a few seconds"

Meh, Ill give you the benefit of the doubt on that one.

"so that massive gaping hole in the deathstar (the vent the rebels used to blow it up)"

Two meters across, to be exact.

"would have been found immediately"

Shields, heavy jamming, stress from being targeted by thousands of turrets, each one with enough power to take your shields down...

"as in the words of kirk the enterprise could find a match lit on a planet"

That was a figure of speech. And it would be much easier to find something on a planet than on a huge, metal, shielded space station that is jamming your sensors and targeting you with thousands of turrets.

"also let us consider the MASSIVE inconsistencies on both sides"

Ok.

"warp factor is not a defined increase of speed there is no apparent consistent speed for anything from warp1 - warp13"

Actually there is. First it was that the numbers cubed: 1c, 8c, 27c, etc. but they decided that was too slow, so they made a new chart. Remind me to find it and post it here, but I remember that the first three were 1c, 10c, 39c. And Warp 10 was infinite speed, so obviously the part where it showed Riker saying to go to Warp 13, they had rewritten the warp chart.

"or for transwarp speed a perfect example is that while voyager would take 70 years to get from the delta to alpha quadrent wheareas the enterprise has visited the galactic barrier several times and has been to the centre of the galaxy"

If they actually said Galactic Barrier, that could mean anything. And I recall that when they went to the core, there was some special guy aboard?

"and while star wars ships can move across the galaxy in seconds"

Days, not seconds.

"there is more practical evidence this isnt true so dont go making massively wrong assumptions"

Great! Show me the evidence.

"so theres my rant for the day"

Have you, by any chance, ever messaged Mike?
"Everything in this room is edible. Even I'm edible. But, that would be called cannibalism. It is looked down upon in most societies."

"And, if you should come upon this spot, please do not hurry on. Wait for a time, exactly under the star. Then, if a little man appears who laughs, who has golden hair and who refuses to answer questions, you will know who he is. If this should happen, please comfort me. Send me word that he has come back."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Are you illiterate or did you just happen to ignore my post?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
noncredible
Padawan Learner

Post by noncredible »

I didnt notice it. I was copy-pasting this when you posted.

Jake
Padawan Learner

Post by Jake »

ok lets get the facts right the death star means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING not only did they have their own death star in star trek enterprise 200 years before next gen and 100 years before TOS theres
1. This weapon was designed by the sphere builders, a future civilization, not by characters from enterprise.
2. It is most certainly not a deathstar, considering the deathstar could vaporize planets, and this thing could only fracture a small moon
3. To be fair though, the firepower is impressive for trek standards

also the genesis device which is superior in every single way not only does it create planets (perhaps entire solar systems) it alters atoms at the subatomic level leaving nothing on whichever it is fired at alive and its about 5ft tall
How are you going to get it through a planetary shield?
also there are only ever two sith at one time therefore two sith in the entire galactic empire

So what? The sith don't do most of the fighting anyway.
also dont overestimate the armour of the empire they may have armour and loads of training and ground artillery but they were defeated by the *woks seriously ewoks creatures about 2ft tall who mistoke an android (whom data would have pwned into another dimension)
Fighting in a forested environment where they were most likely highly outnumbered by the planet's native species. Also, without chewbacca taking over the ATST, the empire probably would have won that engagement. And C3PO was specialized. He would have pwned data in anything language or ettiquite related.

and while they mave have a huge number of starships remember this the galactic empire couldnt hold down a small rebel movement its as if the maquis took over the cardassian union

The rebels didn't defeat the empire. The empire defeated itself through years of civil war, which is exactly what palpatine designed it to do if he were to die.

also the empires sensors are nonexistent while in wars you have to steal a starship/bases plans to find its weaknesses in star trek the computer can get your whole ships layout in a few seconds so that massive gaping hole in the deathstar (the vent the rebels used to blow it up) would have been found immediatly as in the words of kirk the enterprise could find a match lit on a planet

Or maybe Wars just has really good jamming. Also, the enterprise would have been disintegrated immediately (take a look at my first post on the other wars vs trek thread).

also let us consider the MASSIVE inconsistencies on both sides warp factor is not a defined increase of speed there is no apparent consistent speed for anything from warp1 - warp13 or for transwarp speed a perfect example is that while voyager would take 70 years to get from the delta to alpha quadrent wheareas the enterprise has visited the galactic barrier several times and has been to the centre of the galaxy
I can't explain this as I don't know enough about trek in this regard. I will leave it to someone else.

and while star wars ships can move across the galaxy in seconds there is more practical evidence this isnt true so dont go making massively wrong assumptions so theres my rant for the day

No, they can not move across the galaxy in seconds. They can do it in a matter of hours or days though, which makes trek's war look like shit.
If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you. If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
Chuck Norris' chief export is pain.
They once made a Chuck Norris toilet paper, but it wouldn't take shit from anybody.
Chuck Norris played Russian Roulette with a fully loaded revolver.... and won.
Chuck Norris can slam a revolving door.
Chuck Norris once visited the Virgin Islands. They are now the Islands.
Chuck Norris doesn't sleep, he waits.
Chuck Norris' tears cure cancer. Too bad Chuck Norris has never cried. Ever.
noncredible
Padawan Learner

Post by noncredible »

1. This weapon was designed by the sphere builders, a future civilization, not by characters from enterprise.
2. It is most certainly not a deathstar, considering the deathstar could vaporize planets, and this thing could only fracture a small moon
3. To be fair though, the firepower is impressive for trek standards
So it was a Dyson Sphere he was talking about?
Last edited by noncredible on 2010-07-01 12:50pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jake
Padawan Learner

Post by Jake »

edit: trek's warp
If you can see Chuck Norris, he can see you. If you can't see Chuck Norris, you may be only seconds away from death.
They once made a Chuck Norris toilet paper, but it wouldn't take shit from anybody.
Jake
Padawan Learner

Post by Jake »

No, it was a weapon of considerable power: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHCNha9Xxas and it could destroy a planet, but not as efficiently as the death star and it was made by a future civilization, not the federation.
noncredible
Padawan Learner

Post by noncredible »

Ah, I see.

Heh, right before Earth blows up, the yellow (orange? bright green? sorry, I'm colourblind) cracks kinda make it look like Coruscant. Kinda, but not really.

Also, why does Archer have no shirt? Is this shirt shortage similar to the lightbulb shortage in Nemesis?

Jake
Padawan Learner

Post by Jake »

I don't remember exactly. I'm pretty sure Archer was hit by an anomaly that made him travel through time and that eventually he did something that made it so none of this ever happened, but I don't exactly remember.
Jake
Padawan Learner

Post by Jake »

Ok, I was kind of close, here's what actually happens in the episode:http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Twilight_%28episode%29.
noncredible
Padawan Learner

Post by noncredible »

Oh.

Jake
Padawan Learner

Post by Jake »

Anyway, to shut down this trekkie, go to the Galactic Empire vs. United Federation of Planets thread (two below this one), and copy and paste my first post. Then add that genesis devices will just bounce of the planetary shields if the ship that delivers them is not destroyed first. Tell him that his xindi death star would also most likely be vaporized before getting a chance to fire, considering how long it takes to actually kill a planet. Then obviously add all of your responces to his other concerns and you should be good.
noncredible
Padawan Learner

Post by noncredible »

Ok. By the way, if you want to see the thread, its here: http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/c ... 86,goto,18

Scroll down to the bottom, thats his post. Next page is my three-post shredding.

Jake
Padawan Learner

Post by Jake »

Pretty good argument, but I personally like to use math because it shows the complete hopelessness of trek's cause with numbers :D . By the way, who's mike?
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Mike Wong? I think that name should at least ring a few bells if you've even passing knowledge of this site... :lol:
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

Jake wrote:Pretty good argument, but I personally like to use math because it shows the complete hopelessness of trek's cause with numbers :D . By the way, who's mike?
In real life, an engineer who, as a hobby, mantains this board. In this board, a cross between Galvatron and God.
noncredible
Padawan Learner

Post by noncredible »

Whats a Galvatron?

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

...Wow. And I thought 'I' didn't know beans about Transformers. Galvatron
Mike mostly uses this guy for an avatar when bringing down the administrative hammer on people.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
noncredible
Padawan Learner

Post by noncredible »

Oh. Galvatron is a transformer. I didnt even read the article, as I know NOTHING about transformers. The only difference I see between transformers and Bionicles is that transformers become vehicles. I know nothing about Bionicles too. I should watch transformers sometime.

noncredible
Padawan Learner

Post by noncredible »

I see.

Picard
BANNED

Post by Picard »

fajner1 wrote:
"not only did they have their own death star in star trek enterprise 200 years before next gen and 100 years before TOS"

Can you please provide me the link to that on Memory Alpha or somewhere? I didnt know that.
http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Xindi_weapon

fajner1 wrote:
"not only does it create planets"

Wasnt the planet already there? I always thought the Genesis device just modified it.
No, Genesis device does create planets - it is whole point of device.
fajner1 wrote:"but they were defeated by the *woks seriously ewoks creatures about 2ft tall"

There were more of them then there were stormtroopers, the stormtroopers were taken by surpirse, and lots of Ewoks died.
Some stormtroopers were killed by arrows.
fajner1 wrote:Actually there is. First it was that the numbers cubed: 1c, 8c, 27c, etc. but they decided that was too slow, so they made a new chart. Remind me to find it and post it here, but I remember that the first three were 1c, 10c, 39c. And Warp 10 was infinite speed, so obviously the part where it showed Riker saying to go to Warp 13, they had rewritten the warp chart.
http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Warp_factor
fajner1 wrote:"or for transwarp speed a perfect example is that while voyager would take 70 years to get from the delta to alpha quadrent wheareas the enterprise has visited the galactic barrier several times and has been to the centre of the galaxy"

If they actually said Galactic Barrier, that could mean anything. And I recall that when they went to the core, there was some special guy aboard?
Galactic Barrier is barrier around galactic core and around galaxy itself.
fajner1 wrote:"and while star wars ships can move across the galaxy in seconds"

Days, not seconds.

"there is more practical evidence this isnt true so dont go making massively wrong assumptions"

Great! Show me the evidence.

"so theres my rant for the day"

Have you, by any chance, ever messaged Mike?
Thing is, we have no evidence of star wars speeds at all, except in EU, which is more contradictory than Star Trek.