The Federation as a Republic constituency

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Einzige
LOLbertarian Douchebag

The Federation as a Republic constituency

Post by Einzige »

A wormhole linking the Milky Way to the Star Wars galaxy is discovered by a Republic probe a century before the Clone Wars. Seeing an opportunity to open fresh markets to its manufacturers, the Republic sends a small diplomatic flotilla through, which finds itself in the outskirts of the Federation in the year 2267, several months before the events of "Errand of Mercy" and during the height of the Federation-Klingon conflict. Making contact with the Federation Council, the Republic diplomats enter into negotiations with them, which result in the Federation signing a free trade agreement with the Galactic Republic and allowing limited exploitation of its resources by Republic business. In exchange, the Republic offers the Federation a position in the Galactic Senate and limited membership as a protectorate. The Republic regards the Federation as a junior partner and a staging area for expansion; the Federation looks up to the Republic as a far more advanced version of itself and an ideal to emulate.

With the signing of the Treaty of Organia (which occurs exactly as it did in the original time-line), overt hostilities between the Federation and the Klingon Empire cease. But the two superpowers enter into a Cold War just as they did originally. How do events in the Alpha Quadrant play out now that the Federation has the economic - though not necessarily militarily - backing of the Republic? And, in a century - temporally equivalent to the first seasons of The Next Generation - how does the Milky Way look when Palpatine makes his bid for power?

(Note: this isn't a military crossover per se as much as it is an attempt to extrapolate the geo-political position of a Federation under Republic influence over an extended period of time.)
When the histories are written, I'll bet that the Old Right and the New Left are put down as having a lot in common and that the people in the middle will be the enemy.
- Barry Goldwater

Americans see the Establishment center as an empty, decaying void that commands neither their confidence nor their love. It was not the American worker who designed the war or our military machine. It was the establishment wise men, the academicians of the center.
- George McGovern
Temujin
Jedi Master

Re: The Federation as a Republic constituency

Post by Temujin »

Even a rather modest influx of technology from the Republic, which would invariably happen with trade, would result in the Federation's overall position in the Alpha Quadrant being strengthened. The Romulans and Klingons might very keep their mutual defense pact in existence, and possibly even strengthen it; although it probably wouldn't do them any good.

The problem is the obvious changes in the Federation's mindset between TOS and TNG. We don't really have anything more than speculation as to what happened and why, so we don't really know how this change in the time line may play out over the next century.

It is very possible that an influx of smugglers, crime lords and even legitimate traders could introduce enough low level technological improvements as to completely upset the galactic political situation. It would be akin to introducing automatic weapons to stone age tribes.

Then there is the possibility that some of the above may just set up shop in the Alpha Quadrant outside of the Federation. It's not like anyone other than the Republic could stop them.

Within 100 years everything outside of the Federation may look completely different. No Romulans, Klingons, Cardassians etc. aside from a few small displaced groups or those living within a multi-species political entity under the control of some group like those that made up the CIS. Hell, the Federation may end up absorbing many of these refugees as it naturally expands.
Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

"I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe.
If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other." – Frankenstein's Creature on the glacier[/size]
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Minor problem. Why would the Republic give the Federation a seat on the Senate? Those tend to be reserved for 'member planets', planets like Naboo which represent entire sectors (Chommell Sector) of space and thousands of settled planets (forty-thousand in Naboo's case).
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Einzige
LOLbertarian Douchebag

Post by Einzige »

I had considered their Senate seat as being honorary, i.e. non-voting, serving in a merely advisory role.
When the histories are written, I'll bet that the Old Right and the New Left are put down as having a lot in common and that the people in the middle will be the enemy.
- Barry Goldwater

Americans see the Establishment center as an empty, decaying void that commands neither their confidence nor their love. It was not the American worker who designed the war or our military machine. It was the establishment wise men, the academicians of the center.
- George McGovern
skies
Youngling

Post by skies »

The federation would become just another republic sector by the time of TNG and The SW trilogies. Palpatine might find discontent in the Federation after a century as essentially a distant colonial possession useful. The Federation seems to be self-satisfied as the biggest player in TNG. Having instead spent the last century as a irrelevant backwater, inferior technologically, economically, and scientifically, as well as being dictated to politically by the Republic Senate would probably ruffle their feathers. They also wouldn't like having the occasional passing Jedi acting unilaterally, and (from the Fed's point of view) above the law. FInally, there could be a 'brain drain' as the FEd's best and brightest g off to seek their fortunes in Republic service, instead of joining Starfleet. Palpatine might even use the situation, rather than the Trade federation, as a jumping off point for his plot. The only reason blocking this would be the separation from the main SW galaxy.
Temujin
Jedi Master

Post by Temujin »

Does anyone know if the Republic Senate is more like the US Congress or more like the UN?

If like the US Congress, the Federation might be a non-voting members like American Samoa.

If like the UN, the Federation might be like non-member State or even a member like the Polynesian island nation of Tuvalu; or perhaps they would start as a non-member and move to membership status over time.
Mr. Harley: Your impatience is quite understandable.
Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry... I wish it were otherwise.

"I do know that for the sympathy of one living being, I would make peace with all. I have love in me the likes of which you can scarcely imagine and rage the likes of which you would not believe.
If I cannot satisfy the one, I will indulge the other." – Frankenstein's Creature on the glacier[/size]
skies
Youngling

Post by skies »

Temujin wrote:Does anyone know if the Republic Senate is more like the US Congress or more like the UN?

If like the US Congress, the Federation might be a non-voting members like American Samoa.

If like the UN, the Federation might be like non-member State or even a member like the Polynesian island nation of Tuvalu; or perhaps they would start as a non-member and move to membership status over time.

Considering they would be considered lower in status than the outer rim territories, they probably would just get a temporary observer's seat or diplomatic post to make them feel important.