Podcast on SWvsST

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Srelex
Jedi Master

Re: Podcast on SWvsST

Post by Srelex »

Darth Paxis wrote:
adam_grif wrote:If it was used TNG and beyond, and this is set a considerable time before TNG, I would think that this is something of a non-issue? What were the dates used in ToS?
The issue comes from the fact that the Jellyfish's own computer lists its manufacturing date as stardate 2387, meaning that the "Prime" timeline uses the same stardate system as the Trek XI timeline, a system which is different from the system in TNG era Trek, which would indicate that the "Prime" timeline is different from the original continuity.

As for TOS stardates, AFAIK they would just pick a number that sounded good, with no real structure or consistency.
Isn't it just concievable that by the time the Jellyfish was built they had changed the stardate system?
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Azron_Stoma
Padawan Learner

Post by Azron_Stoma »

If memory serves the Stardate structure in nuTrek is completely different from either TNG or TOS.

nuTrek's "Stardate" system is little more than a variant of the date-stamps given on our posts.

So today would be, by nuTrek's "stardate" system 201005.7 or something
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

Well, I finally got to the Zombie podcast. Some very good choices there, it felt almost like a vs. thread here :mrgreen:
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
Darth Paxis
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Paxis »

Srelex wrote:
Darth Paxis wrote:
adam_grif wrote:If it was used TNG and beyond, and this is set a considerable time before TNG, I would think that this is something of a non-issue? What were the dates used in ToS?
The issue comes from the fact that the Jellyfish's own computer lists its manufacturing date as stardate 2387, meaning that the "Prime" timeline uses the same stardate system as the Trek XI timeline, a system which is different from the system in TNG era Trek, which would indicate that the "Prime" timeline is different from the original continuity.

As for TOS stardates, AFAIK they would just pick a number that sounded good, with no real structure or consistency.
Isn't it just concievable that by the time the Jellyfish was built they had changed the stardate system?
To the same system used by an alternate timeline? Conceivable, but not too likely. Especially since Nemesis took place around 2380.
KAC-WG

aronkerkhof
Padawan Learner

Post by aronkerkhof »

Argosh wrote:Well, I finally got to the Zombie podcast. Some very good choices there, it felt almost like a vs. thread here :mrgreen:
Yeah, I think my team is the winner hands down, regardless of whether or not Batman can grown fucking corn. That's kind of the style we're going for our debate type segments: fun loving brawls.

As far as the timeline debate goes... I'm admittedly a bit rusty on canon evidence and rules of engagement. But isn't the fact that the creators of the new movie have explicitly said this is a new timeline / alternate timeline mean that it is? The fact that the stardates seem to back this up is just gravy on the mashed potatoes, yeah?
Darth Paxis
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Paxis »

aronkerkhof wrote: As far as the timeline debate goes... I'm admittedly a bit rusty on canon evidence and rules of engagement. But isn't the fact that the creators of the new movie have explicitly said this is a new timeline / alternate timeline mean that it is? The fact that the stardates seem to back this up is just gravy on the mashed potatoes, yeah?
We know that everything that takes place in the 23rd century is an alternate timeline/universe. The dispute is in whether or not the 24th century segments are also in an alternate timeline/universe. The stardates seem to support the conclusion that the 24th century segments are part of an continuity independant from mainstream Trek, as the stardate system in the parts of the movie we know to be in an alternate timeline is the same system used by the disputed segments.
KAC-WG

aronkerkhof
Padawan Learner

Post by aronkerkhof »

How could they not be in an alternate timeline? Vulcan exists in the 24th century of the Trek series that we were familiar with Prior to the Abramization. Star dates or not, the fact that the planet got imploded in the one time line and is very much around in the other seems conclusive proof.
Ryushikaze
Jedi Master

Post by Ryushikaze »

Aron, it's not 'Are the 24th century bits the same timeline as the rest of nutrek' but 'Are the 24th century bits a different timeline than all of oldtrek,' which seems to be the case.

Red Matter is still a shitty weapon.
Darth Paxis
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Paxis »

Ryushikaze wrote:Aron, it's not 'Are the 24th century bits the same timeline as the rest of nutrek' but 'Are the 24th century bits a different timeline than all of oldtrek,' which seems to be the case.
This is the point I was attempting to make, though looking back I see how my statements could be misconstrued, and I apologize for any confusion I caused.
KAC-WG

aronkerkhof
Padawan Learner

Post by aronkerkhof »

No worries. I'm a bit thick sometimes. Haha..
aronkerkhof
Padawan Learner

Post by aronkerkhof »

One final link attempt at link-whoring. We released "part two" of the Star Trek vs Star Wars cast today. It is NOT a continuation of the previous debate, instead it is a discussion of "vs" as it pertains to which is subjectively better as far as entertainment goes, Star Wars or Star Trek? I felt like this one was a bit more insightful than the actual Empire vs Fed debate from before.

http://baldmove.com/podcasts/23

Again, this was the second podcast we recorded chronologically. So the audio hovers around "shitty" at times, in contrast to the standard of "crappy" we usually set. :D
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

Definitely, Lord of the Rings. :lol:
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
aronkerkhof
Padawan Learner

Post by aronkerkhof »