One person, One ship, One galaxy. Challenge

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

SapphireFox
Padawan Learner

Re: One person, One ship, One galaxy. Challenge

Post by SapphireFox »

takemeout_totheblack wrote:Well, don't turbolasers and blasters work on a 'hypermatter reaction/something producing lots of energy -> powers laser -> laser excites tibanna gas -> gas absorbs and redirects the huge amount of energy and emits it as some sort of exotic high-mass high-energy particles which are then weaponized by the turbolaser/blaster mechanism' sort of thing? I was thinking in lieu of tibanna gas they could use some kind of Trek universe substitute to form a less effective but still grossly overpowered weapon (by Trek standards, anyway). Or they could just adjust an existing starship to accommodate a low-power hypermatter reactor and boost the existing weapon yield several fold.
You are mostly right however IIRC the difference between a standard laser cannon and a turbolaser is a second stage beyond the laser cannon which fires a laser/blaster bolt INTO a chamber of blaster gas exciting and amplifying the bolt like an afterburner on a jet fighter. This extra step what separates turbolasers from standard laser/blaster weapons. As for needing hypermatter I don't think you need that level of power generation for the weapons alone but I may be wrong where the heavy turbolasers are concerned however hypermatter is not part of or used by the weapon itself. As for the type of blaster gas I think there is more than just tibanna gas so you may not necessarily need a substitute.

Your second idea of instead equipping strikes me as having even more merit then the first as giving them a better power generator allows your allies to have/use stronger weapons and shields without giving them potentially critical weapons designs also it could be used to conceal your involvement with your allies until it is too late for you enemies to do anything about it. (for example an enemy analyzing the debris from a battle would only detect strong weapons of types they are familiar with) Giving them better generators than weapons also allows access to a necessary refueling network or would allow you the ability to leach resources from the project to start your own fuel producing plant.
This of course is all working under the assumption that the captain of the V-Star Destroyer has a working knowledge of Hypermatter, its production, and its application or at the very least has a comprehensive databank on the stuff. Considering how widespread and conventional this technology is in the Star Wars universe this assumption isn't too outlandish.
I already confirmed that the databanks of the Victory and the engineer droids are fairly comprehensive where basicSW technology is concerned. You already have access to enough data to hash together the technology IF you have enough resources.
You will see the tears of time.
Night_stalker
Retarded Spambot

Post by Night_stalker »

I would just park the SD in orbit over some random but empty world, and send out probe droids, with orders to find a ideal base with plenty of nearby metals. There, I establish a base and establish contact with the Marquis, offering lucrative tech in exchange for acting as miners and backup while I build up my forces. Then I begin arming a fleet, and begin wide-scale manufacture of SBD2s and tougher B1s, along with some Destroyers and some vehicles. I simultainously launch raids aimed at key targets within the Federation, like Starfleet HQ, Section 31, and even . Once crippled, I weep in, take over, and begin using their manufacturing facilities to build up my forces, and repeat.
If Dr. Gatling was a nerd, then his most famous invention is the fucking Revenge of the Nerd, writ large...

"Lawful stupid is the paladin that charges into hell because he knows there's evil there."
—anonymous

"Although you may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, the Empire will always strike back."
takemeout_totheblack
Padawan Learner
Location: Knowing where you are is no fun! Back to adventure!

Post by takemeout_totheblack »

But then you've probably ticked off the Cardassians. While they may not be able scratch the Star Destroyer, they'd be more than able to harass your mining operations and terrorist allies to death! This is why you should probably ally yourself with a power that's at least capable of fending off the powers you're bound to piss off by itself.

So maybe you could secretly appeal to the Cardassian Union, they'd love an opportunity to take the Alpha Quadrant for themselves so negotiations would be simple. However, their naturally duplicitous nature would mean you'd probably have to be shrewd with what tech you hand out, maybe only give them the ability to make hypermatter, but withhold the science needed to efficiently apply it; even operating at minimal capacity a hypermatter reactor ought to power weapons and shields an order of magnitude stronger than other AQ powers.

Strengthen your hand a little by parking over Cardassia Prime with a few turbolaser batteries aimed at their cities, Cardies would admire that sort of diplomacy. You could then use their advanced industry to fuel your operations, and if they refuse you can just arrange an 'accidental' turbolaser discharge that levels a mountain range a few hundred clicks from a major city, remind them that your ship may be prone to more such accidents if you're not allowed to open a 'repair shop'...a repair shop designed to build bigger and better ships.
There should be an official metric in regard to stupidity, so we can insult the imbeciles, morons, and RSAs out there the civilized way.
Any ideas for units of measure?

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali fought a 80-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire earth was destroyed.
~George Foreman, February 27th 3000 C.E.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

The problem is that a VSD simply doesn't have the capability to produce new weapons in any significant capacity. Presumably SW tech involves exotic alloys of some form or another that requires specialized infrastructure and industry. Even if the VSD has a fab-shop on board, that'll only last until they use up their stores of material. Without a way to quickly start up SW-level infrastructure from scratch, this scenario is impossible.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
takemeout_totheblack
Padawan Learner

Darth Yoshi wrote:The problem is that a VSD simply doesn't have the capability to produce new weapons in any significant capacity. Presumably SW tech involves exotic alloys of some form or another that requires specialized infrastructure and industry. Even if the VSD has a fab-shop on board, that'll only last until they use up their stores of material. Without a way to quickly start up SW-level infrastructure from scratch, this scenario is impossible.
See, that's why you buddy up with an AQ power and use their already established industry to create such materials. The idea in this scenario is that the captain has a working knowledge of SW tech like the creation of durasteel and hypermatter and gives the AQ power some key pointers on their production in. This gives them a massive edge over other Alpha Quadrant powers while giving the SD captain the tech and resources he needs to establish a ship yard.

C'mon, this was covered before, read the other posts next time before posting.
There should be an official metric in regard to stupidity, so we can insult the imbeciles, morons, and RSAs out there the civilized way.

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali fought a 80-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire earth was destroyed.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

takemeout_totheblack wrote:
Darth Yoshi wrote:The problem is that a VSD simply doesn't have the capability to produce new weapons in any significant capacity. Presumably SW tech involves exotic alloys of some form or another that requires specialized infrastructure and industry. Even if the VSD has a fab-shop on board, that'll only last until they use up their stores of material. Without a way to quickly start up SW-level infrastructure from scratch, this scenario is impossible.
See, that's why you buddy up with an AQ power and use their already established industry to create such materials. The idea in this scenario is that the captain has a working knowledge of SW tech like the creation of durasteel and hypermatter and gives the AQ power some key pointers on their production in. This gives them a massive edge over other Alpha Quadrant powers while giving the SD captain the tech and resources he needs to establish a ship yard.

C'mon, this was covered before, read the other posts next time before posting.
Totally ignoring that even if you know how to build the machines to rearm your ship you may lack the materials to get that started. The locals will also lack the training and skill to even have their Imperial masters help them start building new things.
School requires more work than I remember it taking...
takemeout_totheblack
Padawan Learner

You speak like the AQ is full of braindead troglodytes! Despite the tech disparity we're still talking about relatively advanced space faring cultures with established infrastructure and a respectable level of knowledge in fields such as metallurgy, physics, and other such sciences. Of course they don't have the 'training' or 'skill' to replicate the tech otherwise they'd have it already; but that's what the comprehensive database is for, to walk them through the advanced technology step by step, to TEACH them. The intellect is there, but not the expertise.

Even if they can't replicate the tech perfectly right away, they'd still be able to glean enough innovations from it to conquer neighboring factions, and with the VSD being far and away the most powerful ship in the galaxy it wouldn't be too hard to strong arm your way into leadership, therefore the goal of conquering the AQ is fulfilled and you can then dedicate R&D to bringing your tech up to snuff. You needn't replicate SW tech perfectly to flatten the AQ, so the recreation of the GE in the AQ tech-wise would have to take place AFTER the AQ is under your yoke, but it is possible given enough time.

Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

takemeout_totheblack wrote:You speak like the AQ is full of braindead troglodytes! Despite the tech disparity we're still talking about relatively advanced space faring cultures with established infrastructure and a respectable level of knowledge in fields such as metallurgy, physics, and other such sciences. Of course they don't have the 'training' or 'skill' to replicate the tech otherwise they'd have it already; but that's what the comprehensive database is for, to walk them through the advanced technology step by step, to TEACH them. The intellect is there, but not the expertise.
How long would it take to get an 1800's society building modern ships and aircraft even with the knowledge of how to build them? Do you have knowledge of each step up the ladder? How about the time and resources to get them there?

This is the tech gap we're talking about, many orders of magnitude and an even longer gap in time.
Even if they can't replicate the tech perfectly right away, they'd still be able to glean enough innovations from it to conquer neighboring factions, and with the VSD being far and away the most powerful ship in the galaxy it wouldn't be too hard to strong arm your way into leadership, therefore the goal of conquering the AQ is fulfilled and you can then dedicate R&D to bringing your tech up to snuff. You needn't replicate SW tech perfectly to flatten the AQ, so the recreation of the GE in the AQ tech-wise would have to take place AFTER the AQ is under your yoke, but it is possible given enough time.
Given enough time yet, but your one ship is only enough to get into power. You'd still know little enough about trek tech, and them little enough about Wars tech to make anything really work simply because you likely wouldn't have the resources and intermediate knowledge to make it work. At best you'd get Trek level allies and eventually your ship would run out of weapons and power and you'd be done.
Perseid
Padawan Learner

Post by Perseid »

My to-do list for trying to pull this off:
  • 1. Obtain star map information by any means available, i.e. probe droids, trade, capture any vessels I might come across
    2. Form an alliance with one of the major powers, probably the more hard line members of the UFP and pull off a coup.
    3. Take all information on the fancy tech that Voyager brought back; i.e. ablative armour, Transphasic Torpedos, Slipstream drive, etc. and implement them into a new fleet since a slipstream ship needs a different design.
    4. Send the new fleet out into the galaxy and, hopefully, everything will fall into place from there.
Trektech isn't bad, it's just managed badly. For instance if you can build a 64MT or 128 MT warhead, with a casing about 1m by 0.5m (not sure how big torps are) then why not build larger launchers for larger torps...it's just common sense (need more GUN).

However the conquest of the Trek galaxy, even with a World Devastator, would be far to great a challenge for someone to pull off in one life time. My reasoning, I don't think you could mobilise the resources needed to build, crew and maintain the neccessary fleet and army numbers to pull it off. You couldn't just build an ISD because you couldn't crew it, not reliably, and you've given your supposed allies the means to hurt you.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Mr CorSec wrote:My to-do list for trying to pull this off:
  • 1. Obtain star map information by any means available, i.e. probe droids, trade, capture any vessels I might come across
    2. Form an alliance with one of the major powers, probably the more hard line members of the UFP and pull off a coup.
    3. Take all information on the fancy tech that Voyager brought back; i.e. ablative armour, Transphasic Torpedos, Slipstream drive, etc. and implement them into a new fleet since a slipstream ship needs a different design.
    4. Send the new fleet out into the galaxy and, hopefully, everything will fall into place from there.
Trektech isn't bad, it's just managed badly. For instance if you can build a 64MT or 128 MT warhead, with a casing about 1m by 0.5m (not sure how big torps are) then why not build larger launchers for larger torps...it's just common sense (need more GUN).

However the conquest of the Trek galaxy, even with a World Devastator, would be far to great a challenge for someone to pull off in one life time. My reasoning, I don't think you could mobilise the resources needed to build, crew and maintain the neccessary fleet and army numbers to pull it off. You couldn't just build an ISD because you couldn't crew it, not reliably, and you've given your supposed allies the means to hurt you.
Your too do list is miles better than takemeout_totheblack's retarded idea, but you still need time to build a new fleet based on Voyager's new tech. Your enemies could attack and you'd need to stay chained to your manufacturing base to ensure your fleet gets made. The fact that you have the baddest ship around means that any race you don't side with will likely form an anti-you alliance and crush your ally while you have to guard a system or two. Leaving for even a while could be enough time for a well coordinated raid to undo much of your work.

As for the tech, 64MT torpedoes aren't cannon and most calcs done from the series show them far weaker. Their tech is also prone to unreliability and terrible design. Flaws that will take far too long to fix. In the end for these reason and more the scenario is impossible.
bz249
Padawan Learner

Post by bz249 »

Okay, first and foremost get away as far as you can from the Federation. They are the most dangerous group, since they are humans, thus they pose the greatest threat of cultural assimilation. And one ship against an interstellar civilization, well in two generations everyone would be Feddie. So stay away the Milky Way humans (though abducting childs might be a good idea for later).

The most important thing is to build a patchwork supply chain. The most important is hypermatter, hopefully the workshops of the ship can produce a crude hypermatter reactor, unless it is game over. So I assume they can, now there is a working energy supply for the equipments which are irreplaceble by the local counterparts. What have to be done, well building up a the whole Imperial military infrastructure, foundries, mining stations, machine shops and so on. The bad thing is the "market" is negligible so no matter what you do production would be very inefficient, most probably manufacturing a large scale hyperdrive or heavy weapons are out of question for quite a long time. That fixes the role of the original ship: use it as a space station, thus reduce the wear and decrease fuel and supply consumption also.

What kind of help the locals could grant. Well their military infrastructure is more or less useless (an Iowa class battleship would not benefit really much from an ancient Greek dockyard) in maintaining the original ship, so their tech level is not really important. For food and other civilian stuff they can be worthwhile however (mostly by saving trained labour force for the SW-type military complex), also their spacefaring capabilities are welcome, since using warp drives for transporting goods saves hypermatter, the exact level is not that interesting however, have the ability to fly that´s enough.

This would give some nice quiet sector in the edge of the Alpha or Beta Quadrant with a moderately advanced planetary civilization as the perfect home base. So search for something like this, drop out of hyperspace, demonstrate the capabilities of the ship and find a "mutually beneficial" agreemnet with the natives. Build up the supporting infrastructure and breed like hell, within a few generations there will be a more or less working SW civilization (though a lower level one, but that´s still more than enough for everything in the MW) with few million potential soldiers/settlers and from that point the expansion could kick on.
SapphireFox
Padawan Learner

Post by SapphireFox »

bz249 wrote:Okay, first and foremost get away as far as you can from the Federation. They are the most dangerous group, since they are humans, thus they pose the greatest threat of cultural assimilation. And one ship against an interstellar civilization, well in two generations everyone would be Feddie. So stay away the Milky Way humans (though abducting childs might be a good idea for later).
Its you and a whole lot of droids, exactly what cultural contamination could possibly occur? As for abducting children :? please explain explain how that is a good idea at any time let alone later.
bz249
Padawan Learner

Post by bz249 »

SapphireFox wrote:
bz249 wrote:Okay, first and foremost get away as far as you can from the Federation. They are the most dangerous group, since they are humans, thus they pose the greatest threat of cultural assimilation. And one ship against an interstellar civilization, well in two generations everyone would be Feddie. So stay away the Milky Way humans (though abducting childs might be a good idea for later).
Its you and a whole lot of droids, exactly what cultural contamination could possibly occur? As for abducting children :? please explain explain how that is a good idea at any time let alone later.
Sorry haven't read the OP. :oops:
Perseid
Padawan Learner

Post by Perseid »

Norade wrote:
Mr CorSec wrote:snip
Your too do list is miles better than takemeout_totheblack's retarded idea, but you still need time to build a new fleet based on Voyager's new tech. Your enemies could attack and you'd need to stay chained to your manufacturing base to ensure your fleet gets made. The fact that you have the baddest ship around means that any race you don't side with will likely form an anti-you alliance and crush your ally while you have to guard a system or two. Leaving for even a while could be enough time for a well coordinated raid to undo much of your work.

As for the tech, 64MT torpedoes aren't cannon and most calcs done from the series show them far weaker. Their tech is also prone to unreliability and terrible design. Flaws that will take far too long to fix. In the end for these reason and more the scenario is impossible.
Just because 64MT torpedoes aren't cannon doesn't mean they can't be made. Besides my point is that the weapons tech could be upgraded with common sense, increase the fire power of one particular race (obviously excluding Voyager future tech) and that race can dominate in any theatre.

As for the building the fleet, yes you may be locked down to one particular area. Taking UFP they would still have their standing fleet (obviously), and should be able to hold the line long enough to get the VSD into position to make a difference.
Sneak attacks aren't too much of a problem, ships at warp are easily detectable and cloaked ships never seem to make it past the neutral zone reliably IIRC
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

As bz249 said the most important is hypermatter.
As such, I am starting from the same assumption he is that the workshops of the ship can produce a crude hypermatter reactor or what ever is used to make the stuff.

Secondly, if I did steal a victory destroyer it is also presumable that I have probably acquired its fighter compliment. And if not, I still have the droids (in my case at least several companies of Droids).

This is important since if I own it I can take it apart and if this page is to be believed (and I am rather sure it is) I could use the weapons and shields of my fighters and droids alone to radically amp up the firepower of any subjugated starships.

Presumably I would attempt to contact one of the already strong but unappreciated sides (like the Romulans for example) and offer to outfit their ships with superior weapons and technology in exchange for them attacking another faction. I would not give them the knowledge to reproduce these weapons and would rig all of the units provided with booby traps in case they try to reverse engineer it.

There is no reason to give them anything more than starfrighter grade weapons and torpedoes since they are quite adequate for the job.

Once that power starts to dominate alpha I would set out to delta where I would do the same with the dominion (naturally not telling them about the Romulans).
I would do all this through protocol droids and would newer appear in person or show the VSD to anyone.

Than, I would set these empires to clash and watch them burn.

In the mean time, I would be using the knowledge I have to mass produce droids and starfighters as opposed to ISDs. The most logical thing would be a Tie-Defender type fighter or something similar.

Once the dust settles and the galaxy is too weakened to oppose me I would... let me think and post later.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Perseid
Padawan Learner

Post by Perseid »

Purple wrote:As bz249 said the most important is hypermatter.
As such, I am starting from the same assumption he is that the workshops of the ship can produce a crude hypermatter reactor or what ever is used to make the stuff.

Secondly, if I did steal a victory destroyer it is also presumable that I have probably acquired its fighter compliment. And if not, I still have the droids (in my case at least several companies of Droids).

This is important since if I own it I can take it apart and if this page is to be believed (and I am rather sure it is) I could use the weapons and shields of my fighters and droids alone to radically amp up the firepower of any subjugated starships.

Presumably I would attempt to contact one of the already strong but unappreciated sides (like the Romulans for example) and offer to outfit their ships with superior weapons and technology in exchange for them attacking another faction. I would not give them the knowledge to reproduce these weapons and would rig all of the units provided with booby traps in case they try to reverse engineer it.

There is no reason to give them anything more than starfrighter grade weapons and torpedoes since they are quite adequate for the job.

Once that power starts to dominate alpha I would set out to delta where I would do the same with the dominion (naturally not telling them about the Romulans).
I would do all this through protocol droids and would newer appear in person or show the VSD to anyone.

Than, I would set these empires to clash and watch them burn.

In the mean time, I would be using the knowledge I have to mass produce droids and starfighters as opposed to ISDs. The most logical thing would be a Tie-Defender type fighter or something similar.

Once the dust settles and the galaxy is too weakened to oppose me I would... let me think and post later.
While your plan could work, it does rely on the VSD having machine shops capable of doing any of this work. There is no evidence, either way, that a VSD can produce a hypermatter reactor...even a crude one. In fact given the role and the logistics base that the VSD was designed to work with there is very little chance that it would have a comprehensive machine shop that can produce anything beyond critical repairs to the ship.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Mr CorSec wrote:While your plan could work, it does rely on the VSD having machine shops capable of doing any of this work. There is no evidence, either way, that a VSD can produce a hypermatter reactor...even a crude one. In fact given the role and the logistics base that the VSD was designed to work with there is very little chance that it would have a comprehensive machine shop that can produce anything beyond critical repairs to the ship.
Well yes, but since nothing in the ST galaxy can even try and produce such a reactor the mission has failed from the onset. Unless I can replicate it...

Also, here is the continuation.

I would aquire the ST technology of transporters and replicators and with them I would mass produce my droid armies. Put one droid into a transporter, dematerialise him, save the paten and materialise as many as I want with the massive energy output from the VD.
(I don't know how transporters work thou but presumably they take a scan of you and than destroy you, later they convert energy into mater based on that scan right?
Also, since they did produce clones of people before and since there is evidence of "transporter pattens" being located after years and rematerialized I would say its not such a stretch.)

Keep in mind that even without replicating droids I could still replicate sufficient thermal detonators and blasters to army a small army of any ally that I chose.

And either way, I would probably not need any more HM than the VD requires to function since I imagine that starfighters can be run on alternate fuel sources and that "acquired" local ships could be jury rigged as carriers. No hyperspace but warp speed ain't half bad for patrolling and force projection later on.

Given that, I would pit the dominion and what ever AQ power I have to battle each other through machinations and once they burn them self out I would invade with a droid army.
But not them, I would attack the Borg.

By goading the Borg into attacking AQ I would by effect be the only power able to stop them and by said effect people would accept me as their Saviour, under my terms.

In the end, a fleet of droid controlled ST ships armed with starfighter grade weapons would dominate both the alpha and the delta quadrant and presumably keep the already weakened (after voyager) Borg at bay. Not the whole galaxy for now but not bad for a few years work.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

The most important thing is to build a patchwork supply chain. The most important is hypermatter, hopefully the workshops of the ship can produce a crude hypermatter reactor, unless it is game over. So I assume they can, now there is a working energy supply for the equipments which are irreplaceble by the local counterparts. What have to be done, well building up a the whole Imperial military infrastructure, foundries, mining stations, machine shops and so on. The bad thing is the "market" is negligible so no matter what you do production would be very inefficient, most probably manufacturing a large scale hyperdrive or heavy weapons are out of question for quite a long time. That fixes the role of the original ship: use it as a space station, thus reduce the wear and decrease fuel and supply consumption also.
Your ship is going to come in and greatly change Federation culture, not the other way around. Besides you have no other humans with you, only droids that will stay as loyal as they are programed to be regardless of culture.

Abducting children won't be worth while as your goal is to conquer the galaxy as quickly as possible, not just take over a small part and set up a colony.

Nothing that I've read says that a VSD has a workshop able to make a hypermatter reactor, so thought it makes victory in the scenario unattainable, you don't have that ability. You would also lack, in all likelihood, the ability to get any major scale manufacturing setup within the time frame.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

As to how I would win, I would pack as many droid fighters and other parasite craft onto the VSD as I can and stock up to the max with the fuel rods they use as well as torpedoes. These will be my power projection as even a few of them could do serious damage to a federation fleet and their torpedoes should be enough to crack even the largest of space stations.

For weapons I would choose a VSD with a capital scale missile system as its primary armament. That way even when I run out of resources I can use local tech to resupply. I would also avoid wasting power where I can and would seek to, very swiftly, replace my sub light drives with local tech that runs off a matter anti-matter reactor. This should save the fuel I have for hyperspace transit.

Then go on diplomatic missions to the major powers, demonstrate the power of my weapons; usually on something like an asteroid so I can use a lower yield and still impress them, also because shooting the people you need to deal with is bad for business. Should this, and the promise of helping the major powers advance their tech no work that leaves me no choice by to use my fighters to lay waste to capital worlds in an attempt to force a quick surrender. Once the major powers are under control I have them start to expand into areas I won't have the time to take myself while I head to the unexplored areas looking for other powerful races to ally with me and expand my sphere.

As I see it this is the only way to win.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

bz249 wrote:Nothing that I've read says that a VSD has a workshop able to make a hypermatter reactor, so thought it makes victory in the scenario unattainable, you don't have that ability.
What about using transporters/replicators in reverse to decompose mater into energy and not the other way around? :mrgreen:
You would also lack, in all likelihood, the ability to get any major scale manufacturing setup within the time frame.
Replicators to make materials and crude tools, droid labor to make better tools, repeat iteratively until you can make more droids. I have no idea how complex replicators can go with creating stuff thou.

And besides, I am quite sure that a VSD and a droid army could chalk up a nice force of slave laborers for me.

Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

Purple wrote:
bz249 wrote:Nothing that I've read says that a VSD has a workshop able to make a hypermatter reactor, so thought it makes victory in the scenario unattainable, you don't have that ability.
What about using transporters/replicators in reverse to decompose mater into energy and not the other way around? :mrgreen:
That could work, have they ever been shown to do that though?
You would also lack, in all likelihood, the ability to get any major scale manufacturing setup within the time frame.
Replicators to make materials and crude tools, droid labor to make better tools, repeat iteratively until you can make more droids. I have no idea how complex replicators can go with creating stuff thou.

And besides, I am quite sure that a VSD and a droid army could chalk up a nice force of slave laborers for me.
Going from basic combat droids and Astromechs, using the strictest possible meaning in the op, will take a long time and slaves would take even longer if you want a working factory. If you have the right tools them build a Von Neumen swarm with Wars level tech.
SapphireFox
Padawan Learner

Post by SapphireFox »

Norade wrote:For weapons I would choose a VSD with a capital scale missile system as its primary armament. That way even when I run out of resources I can use local tech to resupply. I would also avoid wasting power where I can and would seek to, very swiftly, replace my sub light drives with local tech that runs off a matter anti-matter reactor. This should save the fuel I have for hyperspace transit.
The VSD your looking for is the VSD I which has 80 concussion missile tubes and the ability to enter and fight in the atmosphere as opposed to the VSD II which has greater speed and ship to ship ability while loosing the missiles and atmosphere ability.

As for using local torpedos for reloads, I would recommend you think hard about the dimensions of the square pegs (ie photon torpedos) you are trying to cram into the round holes (ie concussion missile tubes). Unless you refit the VSD with photon torpedo tubes replacing the concussion torpedo tubes or are able to "manufacture" a photon torpedo using a constructed shell in the exact dimensions of the concussion missile and somehow cram the local engine, warhead and guidance system into the shell.

The local sublight engines don't need a matter anti-matter reactor to run but are instead powered by fusion reactors tied to the impulse engines. So you don't need have the dangerous easily exploded M/AM reactor on the VSD.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

SapphireFox wrote:
Norade wrote:For weapons I would choose a VSD with a capital scale missile system as its primary armament. That way even when I run out of resources I can use local tech to resupply. I would also avoid wasting power where I can and would seek to, very swiftly, replace my sub light drives with local tech that runs off a matter anti-matter reactor. This should save the fuel I have for hyperspace transit.
The VSD your looking for is the VSD I which has 80 concussion missile tubes and the ability to enter and fight in the atmosphere as opposed to the VSD II which has greater speed and ship to ship ability while loosing the missiles and atmosphere ability.

As for using local torpedos for reloads, I would recommend you think hard about the dimensions of the square pegs (ie photon torpedos) you are trying to cram into the round holes (ie concussion missile tubes). Unless you refit the VSD with photon torpedo tubes replacing the concussion torpedo tubes or are able to "manufacture" a photon torpedo using a constructed shell in the exact dimensions of the concussion missile and somehow cram the local engine, warhead and guidance system into the shell.

The local sublight engines don't need a matter anti-matter reactor to run but are instead powered by fusion reactors tied to the impulse engines. So you don't need have the dangerous easily exploded M/AM reactor on the VSD.
Cool, though some VSD-i's also had guns instead of tubes IIRC.

I'm sure I can build and cram the systems I need into a case that will fit my new launchers. I just get my allies to build in a new size. Retooling may have me waiting a bit, but that's easier than trying to build my own.

Yeah, that works too though A/AM would get my huge ass ship (compared to theirs) moving a bit quicker besides all it can blow up is droids.
SapphireFox
Padawan Learner

Post by SapphireFox »

Norade wrote:
Purple wrote:
That could work, have they ever been shown to do that though?
A transporter dissasebles you into a cloud of disassociated sub-atomic particials if you can turn that into useable energy then yes you can use it as part of a reactor that can function on almost any fuel. (kind of like a tech version of an S2 core from evangelion)
Norade wrote:Cool, though some VSD-i's also had guns instead of tubes IIRC.
The VSD I has both turbolasers and torpedo tubes. It's the VSD II that trades the tubes for more guns and bigger engines.
Norade
Jedi Council Member

Post by Norade »

SapphireFox wrote:A transporter dissasebles you into a cloud of disassociated sub-atomic particials if you can turn that into useable energy then yes you can use it as part of a reactor that can function on almost any fuel. (kind of like a tech version of an S2 core from evangelion)
Yes, but when has it ever been shown using that to power anything? It's one thing to potentially be able to do something, and another entirely to actually do it.
Norade wrote:Cool, though some VSD-i's also had guns instead of tubes IIRC.
The VSD I has both turbolasers and torpedo tubes. It's the VSD II that trades the tubes for more guns and bigger engines.
Given that there are distinct modifications made to VSD and ISD type ships without giving them a new designation it was worth mentioning. Besides I don't need yo to tell me shit I already know with regard to the VSD-II. Even if I didn't know it, there's a wonderful tool called google I sometimes use...