Any SW era on par with ST?

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Stargazer
Youngling

Any SW era on par with ST?

Post by Stargazer »

I know movie-era Star Wars is well above Star Trek in terms of industrial capacity, ship firepower, etc. Is there any era of SW that ST Alpha Quadrant factions would stand a chance against? The immediate idea that comes to mind is the Knights of the Old Republic era, ~4000 years BBY, but I could be wrong.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Re: Any SW era on par with ST?

Post by Serafina »

Stargazer wrote:I know movie-era Star Wars is well above Star Trek in terms of industrial capacity, ship firepower, etc. Is there any era of SW that ST Alpha Quadrant factions would stand a chance against? The immediate idea that comes to mind is the Knights of the Old Republic era, ~4000 years BBY, but I could be wrong.
You are.
While the Old Republic Era is less technologically advanced than the "modern" (movies) era, they sill encompass the entire galaxy, have only marginally slower hyperdrive and while they lack the super-ships like the Eclipse- and Executor-class SSDs, their ships are still larger than Trek-ships, with superior shielding and firepower.

If you go even further back, you will meet various precussor races that were actually more powerfull than the modern era (being able to create/move black holes and various other stunts).
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
SapphireFox
Padawan Learner

Post by SapphireFox »

The closest you are likely to find is the Post Infinite Empire - Pre Xim the Despot era there are few large civilisations, no modern hyperdrive, and the best technology available is Rakata castoffs
You will see the tears of time.
Stargazer
Youngling

Post by Stargazer »

Serafina wrote: You are.
While the Old Republic Era is less technologically advanced than the "modern" (movies) era, they sill encompass the entire galaxy, have only marginally slower hyperdrive and while they lack the super-ships like the Eclipse- and Executor-class SSDs, their ships are still larger than Trek-ships, with superior shielding and firepower.

If you go even further back, you will meet various precussor races that were actually more powerfull than the modern era (being able to create/move black holes and various other stunts).
Ok, so the Knights of the Old Republic era is still above Trek in terms of FTl and industrial capacity (especially with the Star Forge), but what about combat capabilities? How would the Enterprise-Ehold up against, say, the Leviathan?
SapphireFox
Padawan Learner

Post by SapphireFox »

Considering that slave1 laser cannons are said effective against the enterprise D I think the Leviathan would equal or exceed the enterprise E.

Leviathan technical specifications
Length 600 meters

Armament Quad laser cannons (20)
Tractor beam projector (1)
Turbolaser batteries (4)
Ion cannons (2)

Complement 24 Sith Fighters
Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vehrec »

SapphireFox wrote:Considering that slave1 laser cannons are said effective against the enterprise D I think the Leviathan would equal or exceed the enterprise E.

Leviathan technical specifications
Length 600 meters

Armament Quad laser cannons (20)
Tractor beam projector (1)
Turbolaser batteries (4)
Ion cannons (2)

Complement 24 Sith Fighters
Those specs are worth shit. Seriously, what era is this ship? What's it's power supply? How much energy can it radiate? All those tell us tons more than things like gun counts. If I told you there were two battleships, one with 37 guns, the other with 27 guns, which one do you think is the more powerful and modern of the two?
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
SapphireFox
Padawan Learner

Post by SapphireFox »

Those specs are worth shit. Seriously, what era is this ship? What's it's power supply? How much energy can it radiate? All those tell us tons more than things like gun counts. If I told you there were two battleships, one with 37 guns, the other with 27 guns, which one do you think is the more powerful and modern of the two?
Era:Kotor era Old Republic

Power supply: Unknown presumably the same types seen in later eras

Radiated energy: Unknown participated in BDZ style bombardment of Taris and has enough energy to power a grav-well generator

Seriously I can only give information that is available without the presence of more pertinent data.

SapphireFox
Padawan Learner

Post by SapphireFox »

Assuming that the buildings are at least 100m in diameter and using the handy asteroid destruction calc http://stardestroyer.net/Resources/Calc ... ction.html
assuming that the building structure is permacrete I chose the hard granite calc so the Leviathan`s laser cannons output is at least 3.8 MT of output. If the building material conforms more toward a nickel-iron composition then the output is closer towards 7.5 MT of output. Mind you this force appears to be penetrative in nature not explosive so there is a reduction in blast efficiency toward the buildings.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

SapphireFox wrote:Radiated energy: Unknown participated in BDZ style bombardment of Taris and has enough energy to power a grav-well generator
No it didn't, a BDZ is the systematic atomization of at minimum the crust, vaporization of all water, and hitting the planet with enough energy that it no longer has an atmosphere for anything to breathe at all. This is Taris only three-hundred years later. Obviously not a BDZ since the ruins are still discernable. The Leviathan was active in an orbital bombardment operation, but a Base Delta Zero is a very specific kind of such an operation.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

SapphireFox wrote:Assuming that the buildings are at least 100m in diameter and using the handy asteroid destruction calc http://stardestroyer.net/Resources/Calc ... ction.html
assuming that the building structure is permacrete I chose the hard granite calc so the Leviathan`s laser cannons output is at least 3.8 MT of output. If the building material conforms more toward a nickel-iron composition then the output is closer towards 7.5 MT of output. Mind you this force appears to be penetrative in nature not explosive so there is a reduction in blast efficiency toward the buildings.
Fed. torpedos are typically described as low MT-range. So considering the number of guns on that thing, its laser canons alone would make it a good match for a Fed. ship. Throw in the Turbolasers and Ion canons, and it should outgun any Federation ship easily.

A question about the Leviathan, however, from someone who has never actually played KotOR: was it a fairly average ship for its time, like an ISD, or was it the biggest and most powerful class out there, like an Executor or Eclipse from the Imperial era? Its status as Malak's flagship would suggest the latter, but I don't want to make unfounded assumptions.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

The Romulan Republic wrote:A question about the Leviathan, however, from someone who has never actually played KotOR: was it a fairly average ship for its time, like an ISD, or was it the biggest and most powerful class out there, like an Executor or Eclipse from the Imperial era? Its status as Malak's flagship would suggest the latter, but I don't want to make unfounded assumptions.
The Interdictor-class was pretty average, it made up the majority of the Revan Sith Empire's fleet. They were originally intended to replace older Republic Cruisers, but Revan coopted the majority of them. The Interdictor-class is only about 600 meters long, the Centurion-class is twice as long.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

The Inexpugnable-class command ships of the same era in the KOTOR comics dwarfs both of them.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Inexpugn ... mmand_ship
VT-16
Sith Marauder

Post by VT-16 »

According to the KOTORCG, the Interdictor-class was meant to be an intermediary between the smaller Hammerhead-class and the larger Inexpugnable-class. Later on, the Centurion-class was created, which compacted the power systems of the Inexpugnables (since it's said to match them in firepower) and made improvements on some of their troublesome systems, becoming the command ships of Republic armadas instead.

As luck would have it, I noticed the NEGTVAV mentions the Star Forge producing fleets of ships that match the later Star Destroyers in size and power. Which would make it seem as though the Interdictors had similar firepower on a scale of the Victory/Venator/Imperator/Tector etc. In turn, the rare Inexpugnables and Centurions would therefore have more potential, and I dare say would best an Imperator in one-on-one combat.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

SapphireFox wrote:Assuming that the buildings are at least 100m in diameter and using the handy asteroid destruction calc http://stardestroyer.net/Resources/Calc ... ction.html
I plugged in the 100m value for the diameter, and came up with the figures you specified for vaporization energy. You might want to have your eyes checked because those buildings were clearly blasted apart and not vaporized. Using the fragmentation energy, which gives us 1kt, and is likely lower since the building would be made of mostly air. In addition some of those buildings which suffered direct hits didn't have the tops blasted (0:21, 0:24)) off like others (0:12, 0:15, 0:19) which implies that there was something inside the other buildings which added to the destruction.

Fortunately, video games movies are probably the lowest form of canon.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
SapphireFox
Padawan Learner

Post by SapphireFox »

Thinking about it, you are probably right about the non-vaporization, which would bring it back down to the original estimate off slave1's laser cannons. Same class of weapon same yield, this probably speaks more toward the technological stagnation issue than anything else.

So if the blast is 1kt per barrel then 20 four-barrel cannons is 80kt total throw weight but considering the shape and design of the Leviathan I doubt it can put more than half on any single target witch brings the max throw weight on target to 40kt per throw.

Not exactly stirring but laser cannon are meant for anti-fighter/anti-missile use so this is probably as effective as a lancer frigate.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lancer-class_frigate

Although in the defence of leviathan it is supposed to have 4 turbolaser batteries and 2 ion cannons that we don't see used in this engagement. Unfortunately since we don't see them their effectiveness can not be estimated. From the armaments I would tend to think that like other interdiction craft it would want to hang back from the battlefield and use its special abilities rather than be a front line cruiser.

Would a Feddie ship be able to take a beating from those laser cannons or no?
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

VT-16 wrote:According to the KOTORCG, the Interdictor-class was meant to be an intermediary between the smaller Hammerhead-class and the larger Inexpugnable-class.
If the Interdictor's were comparable to a Victory they would not be hurling <1mt turbolaser bolts.
DrStrangelove
Youngling

Post by DrStrangelove »

Dialogue can be interpreted that the entire planet was depopulated, which would bump up firepower closer to the main eras, since it is mentioned to have killed billions by the time you get to the next planet, which is a bit soon for nuclear winter effects
I'm not interested in preserving the status quo; I want to overthrow it. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli
You don't know the power of the dark side~ Darth Vader
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

DrStrangelove wrote:Dialogue can be interpreted that the entire planet was depopulated, which would bump up firepower closer to the main eras, since it is mentioned to have killed billions by the time you get to the next planet, which is a bit soon for nuclear winter effects
Taris' population is localized in Coruscant like cities. The game describes nothing taller than 3 stroies left standing, billions could have died by being trapped in the km tall collapsing buildings.
Image[
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

General Schatten wrote:
VT-16 wrote:According to the KOTORCG, the Interdictor-class was meant to be an intermediary between the smaller Hammerhead-class and the larger Inexpugnable-class.
If the Interdictor's were comparable to a Victory they would not be hurling <1mt turbolaser bolts.
Wasn't the <1 MT number for the laser canons? Ie, not the turbolasers?
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

The Romulan Republic wrote:
General Schatten wrote:
Wasn't the <1 MT number for the laser canons? Ie, not the turbolasers?
The Interdictor-class has only two types of weapons batteries, medium turbolasers and point-defense laser cannons. Do you want to make the argument that Karath chose not to fire the main weapons when the entire point of the attack was to saturate the planet with enough firepower to ensure their target didn't survive?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Given that the target of the attack was a single woman known to be in a rather narrowly defined geographical location, yes?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
SapphireFox
Padawan Learner

Post by SapphireFox »

Given that laser cannons are used in an anti-fighter/anti-missile role they need good maneuverability and high accuracy, so if your trying to pick off a single small target your first choice is your most precise weapon. If you are trying to hit a finnishing nail you use a standard claw hammer not a sledgehammer.

Note that the purpose of the bombardment was to flush out or kill a single jedi. The fact that they stayed and leveled the planet was after the jedi escaped was most likely plain old sith malevolence and anger at the escape.
D2F
Redshirt

Post by D2F »

SapphireFox wrote:Given that laser cannons are used in an anti-fighter/anti-missile role they need good maneuverability and high accuracy, so if your trying to pick off a single small target your first choice is your most precise weapon. If you are trying to hit a finnishing nail you use a standard claw hammer not a sledgehammer.

Note that the purpose of the bombardment was to flush out or kill a single jedi. The fact that they stayed and leveled the planet was after the jedi escaped was most likely plain old sith malevolence and anger at the escape.
Actually, the goal of the operation was to level the planet to make sure the Jedi did not escape. They did not intent to flush bastilla out. Check the actual game dialogue for proof.
j.eller
Redshirt

Post by j.eller »

Batman wrote:Given that the target of the attack was a single woman known to be in a rather narrowly defined geographical location, yes?
I'm not sure about this one. I mean, if you look at the in-game footage when the Ebon Hawk escapes, it does seem that the Leviathan is targeting a specific area of the surface. That said, the cannons in use in the cutscenes look pretty heavy (and with limited fields of fire) for point defense work, and it is clearly stated that Malak wants Karath to "destroy the entire planet", as well a later dialogue confirming that most of the Tarisian surface has been razed.

Can't help that this is kind of beside the point anyhow. If Slave 1 can kill the Enterprise, then I would think that a capital ship from most any era would have a pretty easy job!
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Nevermind, thought this was a new topic, someone just necroed an old one and I failed to read where I'd already responded. :banghead: