How to destroy all life in the star wars galaxy (easy steps)

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Re: How to destroy all life in the star wars galaxy (easy steps)

Post by Serafina »

Oh, and your entire premise fails on two accounts:
That the empire is doing nothing to stop it, and that it actually works in the first place.

Now, let me deal with the question wether it works at all.
The whole incident could have been an illusion by Q.
While there is no direct evidence to support that, there is no direct evidence for the opposite, either.
But we know that the whole thing fails on many levels:
First, it is logically impossible - the thing should have been there when they arrived, if humanity was wiped out it would not have been there in the first place (classical temporal paradox), it would have been utter overkill and much more. All of this is no problem when it was just an illusion - then it does not have to make sense.

The second question:
Does the Empire (or any other SW-faction, since it would affect all of them) stop it?
First, force precognition could easily detect it, since it would be a cataclysmic event - the force is sensitive to such things.
But even with mundane technology -what makes you think SW has no temporal technology?
Relativistic shields negate time-dilation due to hyperluminal travel. Since this is time-manipulation, it is easily conceivable that further temporal technology exists. Heck, the shield alone could easily be sufficient.
Now, you may say that this is speculation - but that's sufficient to defeat your silver bullet that is also based on speculation (see point one).

Oh, and a possible third problem:
It is a temporal effect. It has a temporal paradox. It involves time travel.
What does you think the thing did not merely create an alternate timeline (or multiple ones)?
Because that always happens in Trek when timetravel is involved.
But that means that the original timeline is not affected - so the original Empire still exists and you merely ran away to another timeline, leaving billions of beings you were supposed to protect behind.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
nightmare
Jedi Council Member

Post by nightmare »

marsh8472 wrote:the federation is nothing in the 24th century. Star wars would be no match for the federation in the 29th century though. Considering the empire had thousands of years to develop their technology and star trek only needs a few hundred years of development thiers to surpass the empires there really isn't any question that the federation is better.
Not only have you not proven jack about your 29th century claim yet, it's an admission of defeat for the 24th century feds. Besides, I'm actually watching Enterprise right now, and the 31st century feds can't even manage the 28nd century future guy by themselves. You know, the one that doesn't even have time travel.
Star Trek vs. Star Wars, Extralife style.
Gramzamber
Jedi Knight

Post by Gramzamber »

Serafina wrote:But that means that the original timeline is not affected - so the original Empire still exists and you merely ran away to another timeline, leaving billions of beings you were supposed to protect behind.
Hell this is a guy who advocated the Federation potentially destroying their current universe and evacuating to another.
I think the consequences or morality of this would be lost on him.
"No it's just Anacrap coming to whine and do nothing." -Mike Nelson on Anakin Skywalker
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

I doubt he's considering morality... he's just desperate to be able to claim "victory" that he doesn't care if it's Pyrrhic or just implausible. I'm curious whether he jerks off with one hand and types with the other while he writes this garbage? I've never been able to master one-handed typing, but Trek-nerds seem highly competent at it.

As others have said before - bringing in time travel, one-episode lost tech, immortal beings, etc. is a tacit admission of defeat. It takes a special kind of idiot to keep grasping at straws in the face of defeat... for chrissakes, even the Japanese eventually recognized the futility of continuing to fight in the face of overwhelming devastation; you'd think Trekkies would eventually figure it out.
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
Darth Paxis
Padawan Learner

Post by Darth Paxis »

Something that occurred to me:
marsh8472 wrote:the federation would no doubt keep the operation classified. The romulans would give the cloaking device in exchange for information about the empire.
First off what information does the Federation have about the Empire at this point, that would be worthwhile to the Romulans. Does the Federation have access to SW-level technology and have the understanding necessary to reverse-engineer it?

Second, assuming that your plan will succeed, why would the Romulans want information about a society that will shortly be destroyed. The only reason that I can think of is that they know that the Federation will fail, and want to have knowledge of the hornet's nest that just got stirred up.

I apologize if this is seen as a dogpile post.
KAC-WG

Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

Holbenilord wrote:People, destroying the Star Wars universe could be done by one person going and buying a star wars ship.
If you're talking about reverse engineering, I should point out that reverse engineering is only easy when you have a firm understanding of the principles involved. If you don't (eg, hyperspace, turbolasers, hypermatter fusion reactors, etc etc etc) it will be considerably harder. Consider a stone age man trying to reverse-engineer a modern car.
Holbenilord wrote:Species 8472, apparently, can wield the same energy output as the deathstar if they put loads of energy and resources together.
I've not seen any evidence for this. We know they can use some sort of planet-buster, but it does not appear to work on the same principles as the Death Star - ie, it is not a brute force weapon. Whilst we don't know the size and extent of 8472's civilisation, the fact that just a few nanobot-filled torpedoes could threaten them enough for them to call off their war with the Borg indicates either a small but (compared to the Borg etc) powerful civilisation, or one that does not handle surprises well.
The only reason they reconfigure space is because they're somewhat allergic to being in our universe.
If they don't like our universe, why stay?
the federation is nothing in the 24th century. Star wars would be no match for the federation in the 29th century though.
This is called moving the goalposts. If you want to argue based on 29th Century Fed technology, start another topic.
but voyager is a match because all it needs to do is collide a small ship about the size of an x-wing into the bridge area to destroy it like it was in return of the jedi.
The Executor's shields were down, remember? It took a nice bit of combined fire from the rest of the Rebel fleet to do that. And as Serafina said, no Death Star to crash into = secondary bridge regains control of the ship = fight continues.
with all the armor that ship has and its size all it would have to do is ram the damn thing.
If a Borg ship rammed an ISD, the likely result would be crewmen on punishment duties being assigned to sweep the debris off the hull. Of course, striking a ship with its shields down is another matter, but you've got to get them down first or somehow surprise the ISD. Transwarp or similar may allow for a surprise attack, but you'll run out of Borg ships before the Empire runs out of Star Destroyers.
They care about themselves and and there's no evidence to suggest that they aren't doing this in every universe and don't care about it.
Ahem. Which universe does Q go to when character growth is necessary? When he wants a child? When he wants to escape the Q Continuum? Find allies for the civil war?
the federation would no doubt keep the operation classified. The romulans would give the cloaking device in exchange for information about the empire.
What information about the Empire? The information the Federation desperately hopes it will be able to acquire if its stealth ship isn't captured, blown up, or whatever? The information they magically have on hand before sending the ship there?
You're kinda right they don't care about the universe but Q has shown that he cares about humanity to some degree. They would care enough to prevent the anomoly from destroying the universe maybe, but I doubt they would care if it destroys the empire.
Erm, the Galactic Empire is full of humans?
They combine 8 beams and fire a main beam just like the deathstar does. If their weapons are chain reaction based then so is the deathstars superbeam.
Right.
8472 weapon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4LR6Ev27FQ 0:31-32 they start firing. 0:47 the planet blows. Explain to me WTF happened in the intervening 15 seconds or so? Where did the 1e30-something joules of energy go?
Death Star: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djZFHTa6TfA - notice the practically instant detonation. The beam's energy goes directly into the planet, and boom. No fifteen seconds wait.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Even if the mission succeeds and any of this works, why do we assume the Empire can't deal with it? It uses time travel as part of its everyday propulsion; there's no reason to believe they couldn't deal with it themselves. The Federation didn't know or believe anything was happening, but even the 29th century Federation could possibly have dealt with this.

Oops.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

On species 8472, don't forget that the Borg weaponry can damage their ships, albeit superficially. If the Borg can do that, the Empire shouldn't find them much harder to hurt than their usual enemies or the Yuuzhan Vong. More dangerous than the Federation, certainly, but not invincible.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

I haven't seen this anti time argument used before, although I had planned to use the anti time trick in my fan fic. :lol: So you can guess my fan fic doesn't actually involve Star Wars.

But any way, the only way this could be pulled off is he if he rigs the conditions very favourable to trek. For example he could specify

1. The worm hole plot device connecting the two universes is located in an obvious (ie well transversed) spot in the Milky Way but is in a really isolated spot in the wars galaxy, so Trek discovers it first.

2. Trek is at a stable period of history, ie post dominion war etc, while Wars isn't, for example the time the Vong invade the galaxy, I don't think both sides will pay too much attention initially to a small spatial anomaly.

3. The worm hole plot device connecting the two universes is easily closed off with technobabble so the UFP could prevent incursions into the Milky Way.

4. The Trek side gets advanced warning - ie they know the Wars side would fuck them over, but the Wars side doesn't even know of the UFP (which kind of defeats the purpose of a vs debate, but whatever).

5. The UFP is willing to contenance such a plan. As someone mentioned earlier its like the Daleks' plan, except the Daleks' plan was even worse as their wank tech would have applied to all time lines while this one only confines itself to the Wars universe.

So he could rig it and say that the powers that be are convinced life would be oh soooo bad once the UFP is subsumed by Wars powers that they do it. Or he could have some Section 31 nutjob do it. However for the UFP aren't the Daleks or the Time Lords, they don't do things like this. Except if its a manipulation by Q. :lol:

6. Its been a long time since I saw that TNG episode, but didn't that inverse tachyon pulse thing work only because it was at a specific area of space where anti time was behind that subspace barrier? So it won't necessarily work on any old area of space. In other words he will have to rig this condition as well.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Gramzamber wrote:So, universal omnicide is it? Well, all hail the Dalek Empire Federation!
I am now getting visions of a Starfleet admiral standing around a bunch of captains shouting

"For the Federation, For victory, for the end of time itself."
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Holbenilord
Redshirt

Post by Holbenilord »

That would be Star Trek.

But if the creators of Star Trek wanted to beat Star Wars, they could have given shuttles supernova pistols as standard issue. They could have allowed cross-universe leaps and shields which survive supermassive black holes, but they chose not to.

8472 would be destroyed by the AI bot things. Their nanobots could be adapted.

But that still leaves Q- does he really count as in the Star Trek fleet?
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

Holbenilord wrote:That would be Star Trek.

But if the creators of Star Trek wanted to beat Star Wars, they could have given shuttles supernova pistols as standard issue. They could have allowed cross-universe leaps and shields which survive supermassive black holes, but they chose not to.

8472 would be destroyed by the AI bot things. Their nanobots could be adapted.

But that still leaves Q- does he really count as in the Star Trek fleet?
No he counts as a God
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Well there is debate here as to just how powerful Q really is. We have seen him talk big, but his best feats (moving a small moon, supernovaes) are up about the level of SW tech, with a few things SW can't do like "freeze time". IMHO against the big boys of sci fi (which doesn't include the Empire) he would get trounced despite the talk of Q fan boys. Now a Q vs empire topic would be a totally different kettle of fish.

Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

Holbenilord wrote:But that still leaves Q- does he really count as in the Star Trek fleet?
The main problem with using Q is that it's not certain that he'd help the Federation. We saw him all-but point the Borg in the direction of the Alpha Quadrant, do the whole anti-time thing, and when he first appeared in TNG he was there to judge humanity.

Probably a Q's best feat is to jump around the universe in space and time with seemingly few limits (beginning of the universe anyone?), and bring stuff with him, which is naturally hard to defend against. At the same time however, there is the issue to just how real it is (illusions make more sense than that nonsensical anti-time for example), and where a Q's power comes from, if other Q and Q weaponry can "disable" them.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Again, there is no evidence that most (or even all) of his time travel feats actually happened - they might as well have been illusions.
Heck, the Federation could do something like that - knock someone out and put them into a holodeck. Or just beam him there without him noticing.
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Teleros wrote:The main problem with using Q is that it's not certain that he'd help the Federation. We saw him all-but point the Borg in the direction of the Alpha Quadrant, do the whole anti-time thing, and when he first appeared in TNG he was there to judge humanity.
See that's what I don't get about their argument, Q if anything has shown that he will do whatever he can within reason to get the Federation to do what he wants, if anything the most probably scenario for it to actually occur would be because Q wants it to happen.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
marsh8472
Youngling

Post by marsh8472 »

WHERE THE HELL DID I FABRICATE EVIDENCE? And what about you saying the timeship is immune to the second law of thermodynamic and pulling other crap out of your ass. Saying 8472 planet crusher is equal to the death star but with no supporting evidence other than they look the same.
the power of species's 8472 is greater than your standard star trek weapon. They destroy the borg and cripple voyager in single shots. There's no evidence that suggests that their weapons were set at full power when doing this either. If their weapons were chain reaction based they wouldn't require combining the power of so many bioships.
So you make up a capability we have never seen :lol:
Seriously, if we ignore the dialogue (since it is the lowest form of evidence), the Warp 10 drive was even slower than a low-grade hyperdrive. Since infinite speed is logically impossible (since something as speed can by definiton not be infinite), we have to assume that they were wrong (perhaps their theoretical physics were not up to grasp that, or they never actually breached the Warp 10 barrier and just tought they did).
the sensors on the shuttle say they went warp 10. You see tom's shuttle hit some kind of barrior and the power stabalized, you would have to explain away this affect. Since you have no evidence to support what warp 10 would look like you have nothing that contradicts the visuals except with your expectations of what it would look like. We don't HAVE to assume anything of the sort. According to the episode and the plot the warp goes warp 10.
So they can go to any universe they want, but they pick one that kills them?
Hmm - if you could live anywhere in the world, would you choose the antarctic?
What do their intentions have to do with their ability to travel to another universe? That was the whole point.
Um...even 29th century technology is not that impressive.

Either way - your argument is utterly wrong. When you compare 18th-century prussians and russians, would you say "well, the russians will develop nukes in 200 years, so they win?"
being able to walk through matter, time travel along with traveling to any point in space, and being able to make ships that are bigger on the inside than the outside is the technology we see in their episodes. They are impressive compared to star wars.
Read the fucking main site.
First, the Executor was killed by craswhing into the Death Star. If it had not been that close to it or faced into another direction, that would not have happend.
Second, the shields were down. ST has nowhere near the firepower to take them down in the first place - it took the rebel fleets with 3km long starships a good part of an hour to do so. Trek would take YEARS to match that output.
Oh, and if you think those globes were shield generators - nothing in the movie says they were, and all canon sources that said so are either outdated or not canon in the first place (games).
we see the falcon fly through the star destroyer's shields and even asteroids penetrate it. The star destroyer was defeated since it lost control of their vessel and their bridge crew was killed.
Ramming an ship that is more massive and has heavy armor - and shields strong enough to withstand that with utter ease.
We see two SDs ramming into each other at C-cruising speeds. They loose some trench guns, and nothing else happens.
According to http://www.kitsune.addr.com/SF-Conversi ... tor_SD.htm and http://www.st-v-sw.net/weblog/2010/01/s ... nsity.html a star destroyers mass is can range from 25 to 54 million metric tons. A borg cube's mass is 90 million metric tons according to http://www.kitsune.addr.com/SF-Conversi ... tor_SD.htm The borg cube is more massive.

Even if what you say about the collision with the death star were true, this would be used as evidence to suggest that the star destroyer would be destroyed by colliding with something more massive than it, such as a borg cube.
Ah, the good, old no-limits fallacy. Mainstay of trekcrap since the dawn of ages :lol:
Everything has limits. We do not know the limits of their teleporters, but just because we do not see them does not justify your assumption that there are none.
Example:
Transporters are teleporters. Can they be used to beam anywhere in the universe?
Of course not - just because it is teleportation does not mean that it has no limits.
In episode "threshold", going warp 10 allowed them to travel at infinite velocity. If everything had limits then this velocity would be wrong. To use the argument against itself, you're basically saying there's no limit to what has no limits is self defeating.

If you want me to bring it back down to earth and just focus on what we see in the episodes. The star ship relativity was able to go back in time to the date and place the captain commanded them to go. We see the timeship ayon go from the delta quadrent to the alpha quadrant and vis versa.
You know, i just think you are to stupid to grasp the difference between a chain reaction and DET (thats direct energy transfer for you).
Sure there's a difference but I just think you're too stupid enough to admit it probably is direct energy transfer.
Now, look at the Death Star: Aldeeran exploded, violently.
Now look at the Species-beam: The planet is hit and we see a buidlup of energy, THEN it explodes.

Now, the problem is:
If they put enough energy into the planet to bust it - what does it wait for? If the energy is there, it should explode immedeately. It doesn't.
Therefore, something has to happen there - a chain reaction.
The only other possiblity is that they deliberately delay the reaction, which would take even more energy and would be utterly stupid.
The beam never disengages, we see the planet begin exploding while the planet is still being hit with the weapon. Watch for yourself you moron lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4LR6Ev27FQ
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

marsh8472 wrote:
WHERE THE HELL DID I FABRICATE EVIDENCE? And what about you saying the timeship is immune to the second law of thermodynamic and pulling other crap out of your ass. Saying 8472 planet crusher is equal to the death star but with no supporting evidence other than they look the same.
the power of species's 8472 is greater than your standard star trek weapon. They destroy the borg and cripple voyager in single shots. There's no evidence that suggests that their weapons were set at full power when doing this either. If their weapons were chain reaction based they wouldn't require combining the power of so many bioships.
Can you come up with a serious reason why they would not use full-power weapon fire against Voyager or the borg or a planet?
the sensors on the shuttle say they went warp 10. You see tom's shuttle hit some kind of barrior and the power stabalized, you would have to explain away this affect. Since you have no evidence to support what warp 10 would look like you have nothing that contradicts the visuals except with your expectations of what it would look like. We don't HAVE to assume anything of the sort. According to the episode and the plot the warp goes warp 10.
It also makes warp 10 practically useless, as no Federation pilot would be able to survive it....and it is still far slower than hyperdrive. Seriously, unless Tom managed to get to earth within the matter of minutes (which he did not), it is still far slower.
So they can go to any universe they want, but they pick one that kills them?
Hmm - if you could live anywhere in the world, would you choose the antarctic?
What do their intentions have to do with their ability to travel to another universe? That was the whole point.
You are evading.
we see the falcon fly through the star destroyer's shields and even asteroids penetrate it.
RTFMS. Shields in Star wars are hull hugging. One is perfectly able to fly near or even through parts of the structure, that does not mean one can just pierce the shields.
The star destroyer was defeated since it lost control of their vessel and their bridge crew was killed.
Clearly, you are unfamiliar with the invention of something called a secondary bridge. I hear even the Enterprise has it.
Ramming an ship that is more massive and has heavy armor - and shields strong enough to withstand that with utter ease.
We see two SDs ramming into each other at C-cruising speeds. They loose some trench guns, and nothing else happens.
According to http://www.kitsune.addr.com/SF-Conversi ... tor_SD.htm and http://www.st-v-sw.net/weblog/2010/01/s ... nsity.html a star destroyers mass is can range from 25 to 54 million metric tons. A borg cube's mass is 90 million metric tons according to http://www.kitsune.addr.com/SF-Conversi ... tor_SD.htm The borg cube is more massive.

Even if what you say about the collision with the death star were true, this would be used as evidence to suggest that the star destroyer would be destroyed by colliding with something more massive than it, such as a borg cube.
And we have evidence that shields are strong enough to withstand that. Mass is not the only thing that matters when it comes to kinetic energy, speed is also important. The executor for example withstood three ISDs slamming into it at near C. Nothing happened to it.

In episode "threshold", going warp 10 allowed them to travel at infinite velocity. If everything had limits then this velocity would be wrong. To use the argument against itself, you're basically saying there's no limit to what has no limits is self defeating.
Treshold is self-contradicting, if they were travelling at infinite velocity, how did they measure where they were or that they were travelling at it?

The beam never disengages, we see the planet begin exploding while the planet is still being hit with the weapon. Watch for yourself you moron lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4LR6Ev27FQ
And it still is not DET. Please summarize to me how DET works so that I know you understand it, then show how 8472 is still comparable to the DS DET.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
nightmare
Jedi Council Member

Post by nightmare »

mr friendly guy wrote:Well there is debate here as to just how powerful Q really is. We have seen him talk big, but his best feats (moving a small moon, supernovaes) are up about the level of SW tech, with a few things SW can't do like "freeze time".
Stasis fields is basic tech. WP claims only Jedi could use it, but that's bullcrap. Field medics use stasis to transport patients. It's also a medical skill in SWG.
Star Trek vs. Star Wars, Extralife style.
marsh8472
Youngling

Post by marsh8472 »

Can you come up with a serious reason why they would not use full-power weapon fire against Voyager or the borg or a planet?
scientific research. Voyager found a bioship that was docked with a damaged cube in their first encounter with them. Species 8472 piled up dead corpses of borg and killed other borg on the ship. If it was their intention to simply kill the rest of them it could have done it from the ship instead of hand to hand combat.
It also makes warp 10 practically useless, as no Federation pilot would be able to survive it....and it is still far slower than hyperdrive. Seriously, unless Tom managed to get to earth within the matter of minutes (which he did not), it is still far slower.
data and the holographic doctor could survive it.
You are evading.
nope. The sphere builders invade other universes by transforming other universes to make it habitable for their species. They conquer, that's what they do. They have the ability to travel to other universe's. That was the whole reason I brought them up.
RTFMS. Shields in Star wars are hull hugging. One is perfectly able to fly near or even through parts of the structure, that does not mean one can just pierce the shields.
maybe their particle shields are but particle shields are pretty weak.
Clearly, you are unfamiliar with the invention of something called a secondary bridge. I hear even the Enterprise has it.
I see no mention of a secondary bridge in the cross sections. If they had one then the star destroyer wouldn't have lost control the way it did.
And we have evidence that shields are strong enough to withstand that. Mass is not the only thing that matters when it comes to kinetic energy, speed is also important. The executor for example withstood three ISDs slamming into it at near C. Nothing happened to it.
how about a collision in a star destroyer at warp 9.9.
Treshold is self-contradicting, if they were travelling at infinite velocity, how did they measure where they were or that they were travelling at it?
with their sensors. If you want an explanation about how their technology sensors works then you would have to wait about 362 years when humans have the knowledge to make it.
And it still is not DET. Please summarize to me how DET works so that I know you understand it, then show how 8472 is still comparable to the DS DET.
direct energy weapons blow up targets under their own power, chain reaction weapons use the target to do most of the work for blowing it up. Chain reactions tend to be slower. In planetary terms 15 seconds is not that slow. And we see explosions all over the planet just after 1 second of firing the weapon.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

marsh8472 wrote:
scientific research. Voyager found a bioship that was docked with a damaged cube in their first encounter with them. Species 8472 piled up dead corpses of borg and killed other borg on the ship. If it was their intention to simply kill the rest of them it could have done it from the ship instead of hand to hand combat.
That might apply to Voyager, note that I say might. What about the cube or the planet?
So we have got one, maybe two confirmed pilots. And they could do what exactly with it? You do not win a war with two shuttles.

And it is still far slower than the oldest, most miserable garbage hulk in the entire SW galaxy.
You are evading.
nope. The sphere builders invade other universes by transforming other universes to make it habitable for their species. They conquer, that's what they do. They have the ability to travel to other universe's. That was the whole reason I brought them up.
You are still evading - what makes them as powerful as the empire or even allies of the federation?
Evidence for that?
I see no mention of a secondary bridge in the cross sections. If they had one then the star destroyer wouldn't have lost control the way it did.
They had less than a minute to stabilize the ship. That is nearly impossible to do. And we see secondary bridges mentioned in several novels, so they do have them.
Once you show me how much energy that would produce, I will gladly tell you if an ISD could withsstand it.
with their sensors. If you want an explanation about how their technology sensors works then you would have to wait about 362 years when humans have the knowledge to make it.
In other words, when there is a contradiction, I am supposed to handwave it away. Not good enough.
direct energy weapons blow up targets under their own power, chain reaction weapons use the target to do most of the work for blowing it up. Chain reactions tend to be slower. In planetary terms 15 seconds is not that slow. And we see explosions all over the planet just after 1 second of firing the weapon.
It is freaking slow compared to the Death Star, for that takes only percentages of a second. Finally, the numbers of 8472 are inconsistent. It must have been a chain reaction because otherwise 8472 could have destroyed all borg space in a matter of days and would have been nearly untouchable by return fire.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

So they are stupid - they have an enemy that can threaten them and they still go for research :lol:
But then again, they are generally neither smart nor courageous.
And since Data can be rebuilt by the thousands and SF-ships are regulary piloted only be holograms, this is totally usefull :roll:
It's still stupid to pick an universe that is toxic to them and where the inhabitants can defend themself.
Since there should be a shitload of universes to choose from, why pick this one?
As evidenced by...what?
By the way, the only bubble-shields we see are ground-based shields - every ship has completely hull-hugging shields.
(except the Death Stars, but they are nearly planets on their own anyway).
Hm...i see no crew quarters neither, does that mean they do not have them?
Just because it's not displayed on a small partial diagram that does not mean it is not there.
Warp does not work that way.
If you fold (or warp) the space around a ship, only the apparent velocity changes - the actual velocity remains the same, and thus the kinetic energy.
And since we never see ST-ships go at high sublight speeds without a warp-field, they are not capably of high-c-collisions.
with their sensors.
So their sensors can scan the entire friggin universe??. wow, that's awesome, why do they never use that??
Besides, an object being at every point in the universe has a speed of ZERO - it literary does not move, since there is nowhere where it could move TO - it already IS THERE.
If you want an explanation about how their technology sensors works then you would have to wait about 362 years when humans have the knowledge to make it.
Wait - you ACTUALLY BELIEVE that Trek-tech IS FEASIBLE AND WILL BE ACHIEVED ACCORDING TO TREK-TIMELINE??
Wow...that's what i like to call DELUDED - propably because your knowledge is so diluted from all that janeway-porn.
(or is it Archer-porn? Hmm, i just think that may be :lol:)
Seriouly - do you actually think that we will have such technology 362 years from now? :wanker:
Or ever, for that matter, since it is fucking stupid.

marsh8472
Youngling

Post by marsh8472 »

So they are stupid - they have an enemy that can threaten them and they still go for research :lol:
But then again, they are generally neither smart nor courageous.
the borg never threatened species 8472. Even if the borg did threaten them wouldn't that be more reason to study them? This argument if flawed either way you look at it.

If they weren't smart they wouldn't have superior technology and if they weren't courageous they wouldn't have had plans to purge an entire galaxy and go after the borg in hand to hand combat.
It's still stupid to pick an universe that is toxic to them and where the inhabitants can defend themself.
Since there should be a shitload of universes to choose from, why pick this one?
What makes you think they aren't doing this to other universes too?

As evidenced by...what?
By the way, the only bubble-shields we see are ground-based shields - every ship has completely hull-hugging shields.
(except the Death Stars, but they are nearly planets on their own anyway).
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Talk:Particle_shield
As for strength it primarly seems to be designed to stop micro meteors and explosions.
now you can provide evidence that other forms of shielding are hull hugging
Hm...i see no crew quarters neither, does that mean they do not have them?
Just because it's not displayed on a small partial diagram that does not mean it is not there.
you'll need more evidence that it exists besides that it suits you that it does.
Warp does not work that way.
If you fold (or warp) the space around a ship, only the apparent velocity changes - the actual velocity remains the same, and thus the kinetic energy.
And since we never see ST-ships go at high sublight speeds without a warp-field, they are not capably of high-c-collisions.
Well technically we do see st-ships go at high suplight speeds without a warp-field such as by use of a Solaton Wave. No doubt you will criticize this method of propulsion next but technically it does disprove your statement about stships never going to sublight speeds without a warp-field.

As for not being capable of high c-collisions maybe you explain why riker gave the order to go to warp here:
RIKER: Mister Crusher, ready a collision course with the Borg ship. You heard me. A collision course.
WESLEY: Yes, sir.
RIKER: Mister La Forge, prepare to go to warp power.
LAFORGE [OC]: Aye, sir.
So their sensors can scan the entire friggin universe??. wow, that's awesome, why do they never use that??
Besides, an object being at every point in the universe has a speed of ZERO - it literary does not move, since there is nowhere where it could move TO - it already IS THERE.
their sensors can tell them if they are traveling at warp 10. We see this in countless episodes.

Saying something has a speed of zero just because it exists everywhere shows a lack of basic knowledge of how velocity works. To calculate velocity you need to have two points of reference and determine how much time it takes to get from one point to another. In this case the time to get to any two points is 0. Division by 0 or infinity.
Wait - you ACTUALLY BELIEVE that Trek-tech IS FEASIBLE AND WILL BE ACHIEVED ACCORDING TO TREK-TIMELINE??
Wow...that's what i like to call DELUDED - propably because your knowledge is so diluted from all that janeway-porn.
(or is it Archer-porn? Hmm, i just think that may be :lol:)
Seriouly - do you actually think that we will have such technology 362 years from now? :wanker:
Or ever, for that matter, since it is fucking stupid.
I doubt they'll have this technology in the future but this is a fictional show and if you find something that violates reality but not the show then it's considered proof that the star trek universe is fictional not that the technology is impossible in a fictional universe. You must be too caught up in jacking off to yoda sucking you off to see that. :D
Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

marsh8472 wrote:Here's how the federation can destroy all life in the star wars galaxy using federation technology.

This is assuming that the federation have a means to travel to the star wars galaxy.

Here are the easy steps

1) Take a federation starship to the star wars galaxy. Preferably toward the center of their galaxy but anywhere in their galaxy should be fine.

2) Make it clear to any aliens that you are on a mission of peaceful exploration that way they don't consider you a threat and attack your ship.

3) Modify the vessels main deflector to emit an inverse tachyon pulse (a form of technology used to scan for temporal disturbances and to scan beyond subspace barriers) and then emit the tachyon pulse.

4) go back to federation space and wait about 6 years

5) repeat steps 1 to 3 and fire another inverse tachyon pulse at the same coordinates

6) go back to federation space and wait about 25 years

7) repeat steps 1 to 3 and fire another inverse tachyon pulse at the same coordinates

Ok now you're done. Initiating a tachyon pulse at the same coordinates in these 3 time periods should rupture the subspace barrier and create an anomaly or more specifically an anti-time reaction. The anti-time eruption will travel backward in time and grow in size until it covers their entire galaxy which then stops all life from ever forming in their galaxy.

It's possible that the waiting times in steps 4 and 6 don't need to be as long as I made them but just to be on the safe side I used the same length of time between attempts which was done on star trek.

Enjoy defeating star wars if you ever get bored and want to do this. 8)
If Star Trek can use this process over several decades, what's to stop the Empire from utilizing the same process on the Federation in a matter of days or weeks?
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
marsh8472
Youngling

Post by marsh8472 »

If Star Trek can use this process over several decades, what's to stop the Empire from utilizing the same process on the Federation in a matter of days or weeks?
their inability to make an inverse tachyon pulse along with not knowing that an inverse tachyon pulse can do this.