Any SW-rivalling power in ST books, games, etc?

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Srelex
Jedi Master

Any SW-rivalling power in ST books, games, etc?

Post by Srelex »

We all know that all non-televised ST media is non-canon, but I was curious as to whether there are any examples of impressive Trek power in any such material. For example, in this intro to Star Trek Armada, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZwfLbw1 ... re=related we see Borg Cubes and a Dominion vessel displaying some rather eyebrow-raising firepower at least in terms of orbital bombardment. I have seen such examples being used in arguments on other sites were canon policies are generally ignored, so I want to know what calcs the Star Trek 'EU', so to speak, has to offer.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Any SW-rivalling power in ST books, games, etc?

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Was the Dominion ship was the one that fried about half a planet with one shot?

As for exact calcs I have no idea, but I was struck by the superficial similarity to the stated capabilities of an Eclipse Class Star Dreadnought's supelaser. Sorry I can't provide any more solid information right now.
Srelex
Jedi Master

Re: Any SW-rivalling power in ST books, games, etc?

Post by Srelex »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Was the Dominion ship was the one that fried about half a planet with one shot?
Yes, it was. I'm also not sure what to make of the bombardment initiated by the Borg ships in that video--they produced conflagrations at least hundreds of kilometers in width that lasted for about seconds, followed by the weird blue shockwave thingy.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"