ImperialWiki Trekkie

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Ted C
Sith Marauder

ImperialWiki Trekkie

Post by Ted C »

In case anyone is interested, we've had a Trekkie visiting the wiki and modifying articles recently.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/mrwong/wik ... tions/Mike
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Srelex
Jedi Master

Re: ImperialWiki Trekkie

Post by Srelex »

What sort of stuff is he adding? Flicking through some of his contribs, they seem pretty minor.
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Srelex wrote:What sort of stuff is he adding? Flicking through some of his contribs, they seem pretty minor.
Oh, nothing terrible. He's just been posting counter arguments to statements about Treknology, like their lack of planetary shields, limited power generation, the size of starbases (and related production implications), phase cannon firepower, etc.

I generally just tame them down to what can actually be shown by the evidence.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I don't know about the rest, but he is perfectly correct that planetary shielding (or at least theater shielding) exists in Trek. I haven't seen what it was like before you edited it, but I don't see anything outrageous right now.
Boeing 757
Padawan Learner
Location: Εν ενί γαλαξία μένω, ον συ ου δύνασαι ευρείν χωρίς διαστημικού οχήματος.

Post by Boeing 757 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I don't know about the rest, but he is perfectly correct that planetary shielding (or at least theater shielding) exists in Trek. I haven't seen what it was like before you edited it, but I don't see anything outrageous right now.
I can vouch that at least one Delta Quadrant species (the Kraylor) had a planetary shield erected over their homeworld, but have we ever ONCE seen the Federation or any other Alpha/Beta Quadrant faction with them?

In all instances where the Klingons, Federation etc could have immensely benefited from them, we never see or hear about planetary shields. I find it hard to swallow that the UFP could build a planetary shield over a penal world like Elba II but not over founding members like Earth and Vulcan.
Omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium.

Kritisches Denken schützt vor Illusionen.

Παν μέτρον άριστον τῷ κρατίστῳ.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Boeing 757 wrote:I can vouch that at least one Delta Quadrant species (the Kraylor) had a planetary shield erected over their homeworld, but have we ever ONCE seen the Federation or any other Alpha/Beta Quadrant faction with them?

In all instances where the Klingons, Federation etc could have immensely benefited from them, we never see or hear about planetary shields. I find it hard to swallow that the UFP could build a planetary shield over a penal world like Elba II but not over founding members like Earth and Vulcan.
The Elba II shield was capable of surviving a rather limited attack from a single starship. We've yet to see any Federation shield that could resist a determined attack from one ship, let alone a fleet. For instance, if Scotty hadn't been worried about rupturing the habitat on Elba II and killing Kirk and Spock, he could have subjected the planet to a sustained assault that would likely have succeeded.

Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I don't know about the rest, but he is perfectly correct that planetary shielding (or at least theater shielding) exists in Trek. I haven't seen what it was like before you edited it, but I don't see anything outrageous right now.
You can always look at the page history for previous versions.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Ted C wrote: You can always look at the page history for previous versions.
Meh, doesn't look too different to me. Nothing jumps out as absurd. If this is a Trekkie, its a pretty moderate one.
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

He's been editing the SFJ entry with the usual nonsense.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Ryan Thunder wrote:He's been editing the SFJ entry with the usual nonsense.
That was over a year ago.

Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

My bad, I thought the (diff) was comparing to the current version of the page.
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Another Trek planetary shield I can think of was a S1 TNG episode (I forgot the name) where a group of sterile people kidnap children from the Enterprise. Their "custodian" erected a shield around the planet to prevent the crew from getting them back, but Picard and Co. found a gap in the shields and beamed through to rescue the kids.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

Darth Lucifer wrote:Another Trek planetary shield I can think of was a S1 TNG episode (I forgot the name) where a group of sterile people kidnap children from the Enterprise. Their "custodian" erected a shield around the planet to prevent the crew from getting them back, but Picard and Co. found a gap in the shields and beamed through to rescue the kids.
That's the planet Aldea, which is mentioned in the article.

Boeing 757
Padawan Learner
Location: Εν ενί γαλαξία μένω, ον συ ου δύνασαι ευρείν χωρίς διαστημικού οχήματος.

Post by Boeing 757 »

Ted C wrote:
Boeing 757 wrote:I can vouch that at least one Delta Quadrant species (the Kraylor) had a planetary shield erected over their homeworld, but have we ever ONCE seen the Federation or any other Alpha/Beta Quadrant faction with them?

The Elba II shield was capable of surviving a rather limited attack from a single starship. We've yet to see any Federation shield that could resist a determined attack from one ship, let alone a fleet. For instance, if Scotty hadn't been worried about rupturing the habitat on Elba II and killing Kirk and Spock, he could have subjected the planet to a sustained assault that would likely have succeeded.
Indeed. I watched the episode, which perchance is uploaded onto YouTube. It turned out exactly as stated.
Omnia praesumuntur legitime facta donec probetur in contrarium.

Kritisches Denken schützt vor Illusionen.

Παν μέτρον άριστον τῷ κρατίστῳ.
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Ted C wrote:

That would be consistent with what was shown in the DS9 episode where the Breen attacked Earth, too.