I need some debate help

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

marsh8472
Youngling

Re: I need some debate help

Post by marsh8472 »

hunter5 wrote: So you respect a man who is a proven liar just because you can't stand the fact star wars beats trek.
Actually you can't stand the fact that star trek beats star wars. That's why you came here asking for debate help from me. As you can see, I don't need help from all of you combined.
Thank you for proving my point.
I doubt the darkstar guy is a liar. People can believe what they say while at the same time it does not have to agree with what you believe.
The staff always has their eyes out for potential sock puppets, but until further notice, this guy is clean. I understand that people have seen this kind of thing before and are naturally suspicious, but I have to ask that people stick to dealing with his arguments rather than his identity.
my reputation is well known enough, I'm not darkstar or anyone else you know from this site. That just shows how little you know when you jump to conclusions like this.
Still projecting your homoerotic fantasies onto me, eh? And still evading points and repeating himself like its no one's business, even though no one gives a shit about dialogue by such incompetent assholes as populate the voyager crew when observed phenomena pretty much invalidates every claim you have made up till this point. After all, if the points are against he accuracy of the dialogue don't use fucking dialogue as evidence that the dialogue is accurate! Circular reasoning much? Even your own Dorkstar says "in VS debates take the visuals," and this coming from a man whose dishonesty is legendary. In short, grow some neurons or fuck off.
Dude you don't know shit heh. I didn't use dialog to disprove all of your points. For instance, one of the krenim weapons characteristics from being outside of space-time is that the crew do not age (according to annorax in dialog). We can see that the crew have not aged after 200 years so we know at least that much is true based on visual evidence, not dialog. Here's a quote from Obrist:
OBRIST: Astounding!
PARIS: Not really. I get lucky now and again.
OBRIST: Your end game sequence, it, er, it was the same one favoured by my brother.
PARIS: To quote a long lost friend of mine, it seemed logical. Now what.
OBRIST: I used to honour the day of his birth.
PARIS: Who?
OBRIST: My brother. And my parents, my closest friends. Every year at first. And then one day, I realised a century had passed and for years I had been celebrating birthdays for the dead. Or for people who had never existed.
so we know their race does not naturally live hundreds of years which I'm surprised you guys didn't try to argue before considering your other tactics to disprove star trek canon.

The dialog states that they are ageless because they are protected from space-time. The visuals confirm this. This provides proof of annorax's credibility when it comes to the properties of the weapon. He says he can control the destiny of an entire civilization. We know this is true from the visual evidence of the zaul being erased from their homeworld followed by the zaul that was on voyager being erased as well. Not to mention the erasure of the "once powerful Malkoth race", Alsuran Empire, the Rilnar, and Ram Izad species. Is there some reason you don't want to accept that annorax cannot use his weapon on a molecule? It's not that of an extraordinary claim he's making there. I fail to see how that hurts your position anymore than it already is that he can erase a molecule. I can accept it when he says they are impervious to weapons from this.

If you need more proof here it is: with few exceptions star trek books are not considered canon. The exception to this is various reference guides that were officially released. One star trek guide that is considered star trek canon is the Star Trek Encyclopedia since it's an official reference book and cd-rom release. Here's the article from the Star Trek Encyclopedia regarding the krenim temporal weapon:

The ship operated in a state of temporal flux, outside normal space-time, so that it was immune not only to the effects of its temporal shock waves, but it was also impervious to most forms of attack.
outside normal space-time: fact
immune to attacks: fact
Annorax erased thousands of inhabited worlds and billions of intelligent beings
can possibly erase not only lifeforms on the planets but the planets themselves! thousands of them!!

It's an official canon source. Look it up yourself if you don't believe me. It cannot be argued with by your desperate nonsense regarding the visual effects anymore. As canon policy it must just be accepted as true. Frankly, this is the nail in the coffin guys.

You now have to go back to your previous arguments:
maybe when they erase ships, others will take their place :o
maybe since it can only go warp 6, it won't reach every strategic target :o
maybe the crew will mutiny and deactivate the temporal core in star wars space :o

:D uhh yeah maybe I'll win the lottery too :lol:
Darth Hoth
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Hoth »

And your evidence that the reference books are canon would be . . . ?
"But there's no story past Episode VI, there's just no story. It's a certain story about Anakin Skywalker and once Anakin Skywalker dies, that's kind of the end of the story. There is no story about Luke Skywalker, I mean apart from the books."

-George "Evil" Lucas
Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

Quit with the dishonesty, marsh8472:
Memory Alpha wrote:The Star Trek canon is generally defined as all live-action television series and feature films released by Paramount Pictures. With the release of Star Trek: The Animated Series on DVD, the tudio appears to have changed its stance, and is now listing the cartoon series (aired 1973–1974), as a part of established canon. The various "official" references (such as the Star Trek Encyclopedia or the Star Trek Chronology) may be used as a guide to canon information, but are not canon in and of themselves.
From here: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Canon (my emphasis in quote)

Note that unlike your attempts to pass off Memory Alpha's policy as Paramount's, this refers to the actual Paramount policy.
marsh8472
Youngling

Post by marsh8472 »

From here: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Canon (my emphasis in quote)
If you consider memory-alpha reliable then you can consider this reliable too

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Krenim_weapon_ship
The ship obtained its power to affect time from its temporal core. When in operation, the core also kept the ship, and everything and everyone on it, outside of normal space-time. This rendered the ship immune to all conventional weapons and protected the crew from the flow of time, effectively rendering them immortal. Perhaps because of this, the ship's conventional defenses were rather limited. Furthermore, the vessel's great mass prevented it from exceeding warp 6. (VOY: "Year of Hell", "Year of Hell, Part II")
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

You are, of course, aware that your own source says that it was both from an alternate timeline AND erased from the timeline!
So yeah, it does not exist anymore.

Furthermore, you still have to show that it was more than just an deliberate escape pod that pushes you into an alternate timeline - thus abandoning all the people you were supposed to fight for.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

Lol, if you honestly think that "logic" works... sheesh.
Kristoff
Youngling

Post by Kristoff »

[off-topic] marsh8472 - aren't you creationist or ID-er by any chance? I'm just curious...
English is my second language - please help me by pointing out my errors (preferably politely) so I can continue to improve.
marsh8472
Youngling

Post by marsh8472 »

Serafina wrote:You are, of course, aware that your own source says that it was both from an alternate timeline AND erased from the timeline!
So yeah, it does not exist anymore.

Furthermore, you still have to show that it was more than just an deliberate escape pod that pushes you into an alternate timeline - thus abandoning all the people you were supposed to fight for.
It says its from an alternate timeline because that timeline no longer exists as soon as history was restored. The ship was erased from time but the designer was working toward making another. The primary timeline is the one that currently exists in the episode after each incursion, all previous timelines are the alternate universe.

the Star Trek Encyclopedia is never explicitly sited as being non-canon by paramount.
Reference books

A special case is made for "non-fiction" reference books such as The Star Trek Encyclopedia, Star Trek Chronology, TNG Technical Manual and DS9 Technical Manual. Unlike the novels and novelizations, these reference manuals have never been explicitly named as non-canon, and the fact that they were officially sanctioned by Paramount and given to episode writers as guides serves to give them an aura of credibility. Roddenberry himself considered it part of the "background" of Star Trek.[15] Meanwhile, Michael Okuda and Rick Sternbach, two art and technical consultants since Star Trek: The Next Generation and the authors of several of these reference books, considered their work "pretty official".
An alternative viewpoint was presented in early 2005 by Harry Lang, Senior Director at Viacom Consumer Products in the Interactive division. Lang, working at the time with the creators of the Star Trek Online game, stated that the technical manuals and Star Trek Encyclopedia were canon on the grounds that they were (a) written by Trek production staff and (b) reporting on the contents of the canon (though, in the case of the technical manuals, the tech manual set "expands a little").
Even as considered as a guide, the star trek encyclopedia, sources such as memory alpha, and even startrek.com all say that the krenim temporal weapon is outside of space time and would be considered invulnerable to weapons on star wars ships.

Your method of refuting this is by criticisms of the visuals based on your expectations of what would qualify as outside of normal space-time. Basically you apply the lack of imagination fallacy.
The argument from ignorance, also known as argumentum ad ignorantium or argument by lack of imagination, is the assertion that because something is currently inexplicable, it did not happen, or that because one cannot conceive of something, it cannot exist.

The common version of the argument from personal incredulity are:

* "I can't believe this is possible, so it can't be true." (The person is asserting that a proposition must be wrong because he or she is incapable of accepting that it may be true.)
So we're left with a choice of accepting numerous quotes from star trek episodes, descriptions of the krenim vessel from websites siting canon information, and undisputed visual evidence of some of the krenim ship's properties against your criticisms of the visuals of the ship based on fallacious logic.
marsh8472
Youngling

Post by marsh8472 »

Kristoff wrote:[off-topic] marsh8472 - aren't you creationist or ID-er by any chance? I'm just curious...
na I'm a pretty hard-core atheist. You'd find me on a few atheists sites. I argue with creationists.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

I see that you are still evading the question:

What makes you think that this ships ignores established time-travel rules and does not just create alternate universes?

Besides, an object can, BY DEFINITION, not be outside of space-time and still be able to interact with it.
To put it simply: If it can interact with the universe, the universe can interact with it.

Bein immune to Federation-weapons is hardly a stupendous feat.

But let me use your debate tactics:
Disprove all of the following statements or you loose:
-The ship is not immune to the force, so a Sith/Jedi can manipulate the crew to shut down the "temporal core" or just self-destruct the ship
-The ship is not immune to tractor beams, since it still has mass. Therefore, SW-ships can just shove it into a black hole.
-Likewise, two tractor beams could be used to destroy the ships with shear-forces
-Since it is limited to Warp 6, the crew will starve to death before getting anywhere. Since they are still alive, they still need food.
-A Hyperdrive could tachyons to bombard the ship. Since they easily outpower the ship by orders of magnitudes, they will vaporize it or overload their "temporal core", since tachyons are not affected by normal space-time.
-A ships relativistic shielding makes it immune to the ships weapon, leading to the crew killing itself due to frustration.
-Since the universe is infinite and eternal, the ship will run out of power at some point. Then it will slowly errode until it is no more. At this point, all it has done will be undone.
-Again, an eternal universe produces a chance of 1 that at some point, someone will destroy the ship, negating all it's effects.
-Since the ship is outside of space-time, it is unable to interact with it. Therefore, it never did anything and the crew is just travelling trough an infinite number of alternate realities.
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Big Phil
BANNED

Post by Big Phil »

Ain't this wonderful... marsh has moved from introducing a few unique, albeit ridiculous and far-fetched, arguments to arguing about canon; the last refuge of the inept.
In Brazil they say that Pele was the best, but Garrincha was better
marsh8472
Youngling

Post by marsh8472 »

What makes you think that this ships ignores established time-travel rules and does not just create alternate universes?
You have no idea what you're talking about. Alternate timeline does not mean alternate universe. As you probably were trying to conclude with your statement.

I tackled your question head on, you should feel honored. First off there are no set time-travel rules. They wouldn't be trying to hard to fix the timeline if there was nothing wrong with it. The ship's weapon erases things from history but if they are in an alternate universe then there's nothing in their history that was erased. The temporal shock wave travels through one universe. Voyager is able to see the shockwave as it approaches. If the shock-wave was a separation of universes and an illusion of one universe then you wouldn't expect voyager to follow the krenim ship into the alternate universe.

I'll explain this example again since it isn't in your head yet. In the episode "yesterday's enterprise", the enterprise C goes into the future and meets the enterprise D and all of history is changed where the klingons are at war with the federation. Then the enterprise C goes back in time with tasha yar and history is back to normal. Tasha yar has daughter who grows up and meets captain picard in the future. If these were alternate universes then they wouldn't be able to connect like this.

No doubt you'll find a way to dismiss this or criticize it somehow but it is a reasonable answer to your question so i'm not evading your question.
Besides, an object can, BY DEFINITION, not be outside of space-time and still be able to interact with it.
To put it simply: If it can interact with the universe, the universe can interact with it.
that a fact. Obviously your definition is wrong. Maybe you can tell me what the definition is of whatever it is you're defining, where you got the definition, and what makes you think the definition holds up in star trek where they have advancements in temporal science. Definitions in star trek outrank definitions out of star trek. The ship BY DEFINITION is outside of space time and invulnerable to weapons. This isn't even some made up definition by me, it comes directly from star trek canon proof. You guys have no proof that the ship has to be invisible to be outside of normal space-time except your lack of imagination fallacy argument.
But let me use your debate tactics:
Disprove all of the following statements or you loose:
-The ship is not immune to the force, so a Sith/Jedi can manipulate the crew to shut down the "temporal core" or just self-destruct the ship
-The ship is not immune to tractor beams, since it still has mass. Therefore, SW-ships can just shove it into a black hole.
-Likewise, two tractor beams could be used to destroy the ships with shear-forces
-Since it is limited to Warp 6, the crew will starve to death before getting anywhere. Since they are still alive, they still need food.
-A Hyperdrive could tachyons to bombard the ship. Since they easily outpower the ship by orders of magnitudes, they will vaporize it or overload their "temporal core", since tachyons are not affected by normal space-time.
-A ships relativistic shielding makes it immune to the ships weapon, leading to the crew killing itself due to frustration.
-Since the universe is infinite and eternal, the ship will run out of power at some point. Then it will slowly errode until it is no more. At this point, all it has done will be undone.
-Again, an eternal universe produces a chance of 1 that at some point, someone will destroy the ship, negating all it's effects.
-Since the ship is outside of space-time, it is unable to interact with it. Therefore, it never did anything and the crew is just travelling trough an infinite number of alternate realities.
It's immune to most forms of attack. The only known way to defeat them is from within by one of the crew members deactivating the temporal core. There's no reason to assume that the allegedly stronger weapons on star wars will make any difference than star trek weapons. Similarly there's no recorded event on star wars where a ship is outside of space-time and they were still able to damage it. A lack of evidence both ways. This should eliminate all of your technology/weapon arguments. Plus the krenim are not weak minded anyway. Using the force as a weapon was a counter-argument that I created and gave you as a gift so you're welcome.
Since it is limited to Warp 6, the crew will starve to death before getting anywhere. Since they are still alive, they still need food.
We're not in star wars land. They have replicators. Plus even though annorax chose to sit down at a meal with them, that doesn't mean they need food to survive while protected from space-time just like they don't age. Annorax was making a point about the food being from races that no longer exist. Plus they went 200 years and haven't ran out of energy yet. I suspect that while protected from space-time the laws of thermodynamics do not apply.
Once they complete their mission they dismantle their weapon and then this won't happen.
Since the ship is outside of space-time, it is unable to interact with it. Therefore, it never did anything and the crew is just travelling trough an infinite number of alternate realities.
this is just a repeat to your alternate universe question that I already answered.
marsh8472
Youngling

Post by marsh8472 »

Hey this would be more fun for me if I saw some more creativity now. Let's go back to the original premise that the ship is invulnerable to weapons as stated in the intro of the video
marsh8472
Youngling

Post by marsh8472 »

^I like the part where luke dies by the way
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

No doubt you'll find a way to dismiss this or criticize it somehow but it is a reasonable answer to your question so i'm not evading your question.
No, it's not - because you did NOT explain why this disproves my argument, other than a pathetic try at semantics-whoring.

See, just because i am a nice girl, i am going to explain it to you:
You travel back in time and kill your own father (or grandfather, or whatever). So you are never born. But then you can't go back in time and kill him, so you are born again and...see where the problem is?
Now there are three solutions to this:
-You can't travel back in time
-You can't alter the timeline enough to create paradoxes
-You are not travelling to your universe at all, so your birth is not affected.
One and two are straight out, because we see that it happens in Trek.
So we are stuck with three.
Thing is, that means that the original timeline is completely unaltered.

Let's take an example: The First Contact
The Borg are beaten in Universe 1, so they travel back in time and the Enterprise follows them.
Of course, they are altering the timeline, so they land in Universe 2. Our Universe 1 is doubled at the point where the Borg enter the past.
Now, in the past, the Borg are defeated and so on - and then the Enterprise travels back to their time.
Now it is entierly possible that they land in Universe 1 again, since the past of Universe 1 has never been altered.
They also might land in their time in Universe 2, which might be similar to their own (however, this is unlikely, since it has been altered significantly).

Thing is: Universe 1 has NEVER BEEN ALTERED. They could have went back right from the start, and the Borg actually just fled to a more pleasant place.
Now say you are at war with the Empire. Say you have a family at home that has just been killed, and more people that you have sworn to protect.
You travel from Universe 1 to the past in Universe two and eredicate the Empire somehow.
Now you have two options: Go back to Universe 1 - but that one has not changed at all, so you really have accomplished nothing.
Or you could go to the future of Universe 2, where the Empire never invaded, so all is still OK.
Of course, that also means that you will abandon the people you have sworn to protect and that your family won't come back to live.
So in effect, you just run away and that's it.

Note that Star Trek IV is not affected, since they did not need to change the timeline - all they needed were some whales.
Likewise, you can still do a noble task by helping people in need, even if they are not from your universe.
that a fact. Obviously your definition is wrong. Maybe you can tell me what the definition is of whatever it is you're defining, where you got the definition, and what makes you think the definition holds up in star trek where they have advancements in temporal science. Definitions in star trek outrank definitions out of star trek. The ship BY DEFINITION is outside of space time and invulnerable to weapons. This isn't even some made up definition by me, it comes directly from star trek canon proof. You guys have no proof that the ship has to be invisible to be outside of normal space-time except your lack of imagination fallacy argument.
What definition?
That, if you can interact with something, it can interact with you?
Look, just because dialogue says something, does that mean it has to be true?
Han Solo said that Alderaan could not have possibly been destroyed and that the Death Star could not have been a moon.
The Vulcans said that Time Travel was impossible, so does that mean that all this never happend?
Dialogue is very, very unreliable - and espescially if we are talking about Star Trek.
They are talking about infinite speeds, about cracks in event horizons and whatnot. Those things are not only practically impossible or scientifically impossible, they are logically impossible - like, say, a triangle with four sides or a flat cube.
It's immune to most forms of attack. The only known way to defeat them is from within by one of the crew members deactivating the temporal core. There's no reason to assume that the allegedly stronger weapons on star wars will make any difference than star trek weapons. Similarly there's no recorded event on star wars where a ship is outside of space-time and they were still able to damage it. A lack of evidence both ways. This should eliminate all of your technology/weapon arguments. Plus the krenim are not weak minded anyway. Using the force as a weapon was a counter-argument that I created and gave you as a gift so you're welcome.
Yeah, keep repeating that.
Look, you did not answer A SINGLE POINT. I even granted you immunity to weapons of 200 gigatons or more (that is, by the way, more firepower than the entire Federated Starfleet).
We're not in star wars land. They have replicators. Plus even though annorax chose to sit down at a meal with them, that doesn't mean they need food to survive while protected from space-time just like they don't age. Annorax was making a point about the food being from races that no longer exist. Plus they went 200 years and haven't ran out of energy yet. I suspect that while protected from space-time the 2nd law of thermodynamics does not apply.
Hh, funny, you actually try to answer some points - well, let's see here...
First, replicators still need replicator stocks. Did you miss all these instances where they talked about replicator rations on Voyager?
Second, it is, again, impossible by definiton to be alive and need no food. You can not use up energy without replenishing it somehow.
Oh, and the second law of thermodynamics not applying - go back to school and learn some real science. No second law of Thermodynamics=Infinite energy. With such possiblities, they could literary blow up the universe - why did they even bother with their funky temporal erasor then?
Once they complete their mission they dismantle their weapon and then this won't happen.
As...per you saying so, i guess.

Look, you dumbnut, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO INTERACT WITH SOMETHING without IT interacting with YOU.
You can interfere with that interaction, the object may not be a very strong actor to begin with, but you can not RULE OUT interaction.

marsh8472
Youngling

Post by marsh8472 »

No, it's not - because you did NOT explain why this disproves my argument, other than a pathetic try at semantics-whoring.
Okay you asked me this: "What makes you think that this ships ignores established time-travel rules and does not just create alternate universes" as in what makes ME think that the ship ignores etc... I told you exactly what makes me think that. I'll never be able to disprove non-falsifiable claims, I just made your argument very improbable based on what we're led to believe in the plot of the story.
See, just because i am a nice girl, i am going to explain it to you:
You travel back in time and kill your own father (or grandfather, or whatever). So you are never born. But then you can't go back in time and kill him, so you are born again and...see where the problem is?
Now there are three solutions to this:
-You can't travel back in time
-You can't alter the timeline enough to create paradoxes
-You are not travelling to your universe at all, so your birth is not affected.
I'll offer another explanation since i'm a nice guy too.

I go back in time and kill my father while having a temporal field around me which protects me from changes in the timeline. My dad dies and I'm still okay. No paradox.
Let's take an example: The First Contact
The Borg are beaten in Universe 1, so they travel back in time and the Enterprise follows them.
Of course, they are altering the timeline, so they land in Universe 2. Our Universe 1 is doubled at the point where the Borg enter the past.
Now, in the past, the Borg are defeated and so on - and then the Enterprise travels back to their time.
Now it is entierly possible that they land in Universe 1 again, since the past of Universe 1 has never been altered.
They also might land in their time in Universe 2, which might be similar to their own (however, this is unlikely, since it has been altered significantly).
watch what seven says
SEVEN: A causality loop in which interference to prevent an event actually triggers the same event.
DUCANE: Excellent. Can you give me an example?
SEVEN: The Borg once travelled back in time to stop Zefram Cochrane from breaking the warp barrier. They succeeded, but that in turn led the Starship Enterprise to intervene. They assisted Cochrane with the flight the Borg was trying to prevent. Causal loop complete.
DUCANE: So, in a way, the Federation owes its existence to the Borg.
SEVEN: You're welcome.
she has the borg's memories of what happened then. This implies that the enterprise did not create an alternate timeline.
Note that Star Trek IV is not affected, since they did not need to change the timeline - all they needed were some whales.
Likewise, you can still do a noble task by helping people in need, even if they are not from your universe.
McCoy: You realize that by giving him the formula you're altering the future.
Scotty: Why? How do we know he didn't invent the thing?
their timeline could have been destined to have them steal two whales and Dr. Jillian Taylor from the past in which case the timeline was not altered. Or their timeline was not destined to have them steal two whales and Dr. Jillian Taylor from the past and it just looks like the time line was not altered but it was because two whales and Dr. Jillian Taylor are missing from history that weren't missing before. So which do we believe if both occurrences supposedly look the same? The one the plot leads you to believe. I cannot falsify the claim so I default to what the story leads me to believe, they go back in time to save their earth and not some alternate earth.
What definition?
That, if you can interact with something, it can interact with you?
Look, just because dialogue says something, does that mean it has to be true?
Han Solo said that Alderaan could not have possibly been destroyed and that the Death Star could not have been a moon.
The Vulcans said that Time Travel was impossible, so does that mean that all this never happend?
Dialogue is very, very unreliable - and espescially if we are talking about Star Trek.
They are talking about infinite speeds, about cracks in event horizons and whatnot. Those things are not only practically impossible or scientifically impossible, they are logically impossible - like, say, a triangle with four sides or a flat cube.
The examples you gave have dialog that contradicts other dialog so we can figure it out. There is no direct dialog that says that the krenim ship is not outside of space-time. There's just people's inference of the visual footage and their claim that the ship must basically not exist in order to exist outside of space-time.

Both Annorax and the crew of Voyager come to the same conclusion that the ship is outside of space-time. There is no conspiracy where Annorax fools them. It doesn't matter what's scientifically or logically impossible, if it's stated in star trek then it's true in star trek. We have dialog, we see that the crew does not age, we see weapons don't damage the ship, they want to deactivate the temporal core and then destroy the ship, we see ship descriptions at memory-alpha, star trek encyclopedia, startrek.com library, Daystrom Institute Technical Library, and probably any other site you find all say the same thing.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativity ... Voyager%29 the USS Relativity exists outside of space-time. We can still see them in the visuals. This is not a case of a one incident blooper. This is a case where we must accept that they have technology which allow them to be visible but outside of space-time.

I believe there was a weapon placed on voyager that was phased outside of space-time too on this relativity episode which is why 7 of 9 was not able to remove it but rather had to figure out the time where braxton put it there in the first place in order to stop it.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Relativ ... episode%29
The people she is in contact with tell her to begin a procedure. She attempts to remove it, but cannot because the device is out of phase.
Yeah, keep repeating that.
Look, you did not answer A SINGLE POINT. I even granted you immunity to weapons of 200 gigatons or more (that is, by the way, more firepower than the entire Federated Starfleet).
my answers satisfy me, they just don't satisfy you. I doubt any answer would.
Hh, funny, you actually try to answer some points - well, let's see here...
First, replicators still need replicator stocks. Did you miss all these instances where they talked about replicator rations on Voyager?
Second, it is, again, impossible by definiton to be alive and need no food. You can not use up energy without replenishing it somehow.
Oh, and the second law of thermodynamics not applying - go back to school and learn some real science. No second law of Thermodynamics=Infinite energy. With such possiblities, they could literary blow up the universe - why did they even bother with their funky temporal erasor then?
Well data is arguably alive and he doesn't need food. Annorax says this "Never is a word that has no meaning here. As long as we stay on this vessel, protected from space-time, we have all eternity to accomplish our mission." And we know they've been doing this for a few hundred years. Some how their power supply is not a problem in two hundred years. I suspect that since the laws of thermodynamics apply to the physical universe only, that they don't apply to them. Which allow them to create energy as they need it for their weapon or replicator needs.

An unlimited supply of energy is what they would have. Surely if they can exist outside of space time while interacting with the universe, doing this shouldn't be that much more difficult. If the temporal core protects the ship from aging, why couldn't it protect the ship from aging too?
As...per you saying so, i guess.

Look, you dumbnut, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO INTERACT WITH SOMETHING without IT interacting with YOU.
You can interfere with that interaction, the object may not be a very strong actor to begin with, but you can not RULE OUT interaction.
na you don't know what impossible means then. A human won't last long in 122 degrees F, that's when their hydrogen bonds start to break. Luke skywalker is human, he says so in episode I. Luke skywalker and obi wan fight above lava. Lava's temperature is around 2000 degrees F. It's safe to say that if they are within 3 feet of lava during most of their fight and that the tempurature around them is quite a bit higher than 122. Not only do they not immediately ignite, I'm not sure I even see them break a sweat. Therefore Luke and Obi wan don't exist.
Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

she has the borg's memories of what happened then. This implies that the enterprise did not create an alternate timeline.
Or that the Ent-E remained in Universe 2, where the borg would have memories of it.
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativity ... Voyager%29 the USS Relativity exists outside of space-time. We can still see them in the visuals. This is not a case of a one incident blooper. This is a case where we must accept that they have technology which allow them to be visible but outside of space-time.
Do we see the Relativity in our own universe though? Generic space-fields don't count.
I suspect that since the laws of thermodynamics apply to the physical universe only, that they don't apply to them. Which allow them to create energy as they need it for their weapon or replicator needs.
Think about it for a minute. Why did Annorax create the ship? Not to undo some event, but to defend his people from attack. If he has a literally unlimited supply of energy, what the hell does he need a funky temporal weapon for? At the very least he could just make a fleet of warships with the brute power to laugh at Death Star firepower if he could break physics like that.
Luke skywalker is human, he says so in episode I. Luke skywalker and obi wan fight above lava. Lava's temperature is around 2000 degrees F. It's safe to say that if they are within 3 feet of lava during most of their fight and that the tempurature around them is quite a bit higher than 122. Not only do they not immediately ignite, I'm not sure I even see them break a sweat. Therefore Luke and Obi wan don't exist.
You mean Anakin Skywalker, but the obvious response to that is that they were using the Force to protect themselves.
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

A couple fun pointers because debating this wall is as fun as any other. You do it to pad your post count, not because you think you'll reach this troll.

One, TNG did demonstrate objectively they have multiple timelines. Thus it is the onus of the person claiming otherwise that it is not. So far....he's been dodging that one.

Dialogue is consider skewed evidence if presented from a source that is a knowledgeable one. If Mike went "Physics doesn't work that way!". One could at least contend his education makes him a better arbiter of said facts then Robert Anderson saying it does.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
marsh8472
Youngling

Post by marsh8472 »

Or that the Ent-E remained in Universe 2, where the borg would have memories of it.
Why not have 3 universe's. The original, the one where the borg go back in time and assimilate earth which they see on the view screen, and the one where the enterprise follows them and stops it from happening. non-falsifiable claims. I use Occam's razor. They go back in time, fix their timeline, and go back. It explains why 7 of 9 recalls it, why zephram cochrane mentions the event at the commencement address and we see this is not an altered timeline because we see riker and troy in the last episode of enterprise showing the continuity of the timelines.

Just like in episode "future's end", a timeship goes back in time and crashes on earth, and that causes the computer revolution. No alternate timelines.
Think about it for a minute. Why did Annorax create the ship? Not to undo some event, but to defend his people from attack. If he has a literally unlimited supply of energy, what the hell does he need a funky temporal weapon for? At the very least he could just make a fleet of warships with the brute power to laugh at Death Star firepower if he could break physics like that.
Annorax was ahead of his time for a krenim, he wanted to erase his enemies not destroy him to make his people instantly more prosperous. He may have been able to do the things you say but he got distracted by trying to undo the damage he caused.
You mean Anakin Skywalker, but the obvious response to that is that they were using the Force to protect themselves.
yes anakin. Even if that were true, their clothing would have burned off.
marsh8472
Youngling

Post by marsh8472 »

Ghost Rider wrote:A couple fun pointers because debating this wall is as fun as any other. You do it to pad your post count, not because you think you'll reach this troll.

One, TNG did demonstrate objectively they have multiple timelines. Thus it is the onus of the person claiming otherwise that it is not. So far....he's been dodging that one.

Dialogue is consider skewed evidence if presented from a source that is a knowledgeable one. If Mike went "Physics doesn't work that way!". One could at least contend his education makes him a better arbiter of said facts then Robert Anderson saying it does.
I'm not dodging it. If you mean multiple possible timelines in the same universe they've demonstrated that they do have this. Why would ships from the 29th century go back and repair timelines if only multiple universes are being created? Just like they've demonstrated they have multiple universes too. I cannot disprove a non-falsifiable claim. Theoretically, in a movie like first contact it's possible they went back in time and thought they saved their earth but it was actually all an illusion and not their earth. That's not what the movie leads you to believe though.

According to the episode "parallels" you can check to see if you are in another universe by checking their quantum signatures against everyone else's. Since worf proved this theory true, temporal investigations probably makes this standard procedure when time travel is involved. No mention of alternate realities is made.
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

You know, ST:TFC MIGHT have been a stable time-loop - but that does not disproove the other instances of alternate timelines.
In fact, that would mean that they did not alter the timeline at all - no matter what you do, you can not alter your original timeline. If you somehow manage to get back to it, it is only because nothing has changed.

So yeah, you still loose.
yes anakin. Even if that were true, their clothing would have burned off.
But it obviously did not.

Look, explaining how Anakin and Obi-Wan withstood the heat is hard, but at least it's possible.
Perhaps they simply pumped the heat out of their bodies into the air - we have heat-pumps today (or do you not know what a refrigerator is?) No violations of any physics here.
Perhaps the forcefields we saw keep the heat close to the lavaflow. Again, that simply requires letting the air rise - hardly impossible.

You, however, try to use something that is LOGICALLY IMPOSSIBLE.
Again, not only practically or scientifically impossible, but also logically.
You can not simply handwave timetravel-paradoxes away with a magic "timeshield".

Ok, to get to the juicy point of this - answer these points:

-Proove that the ship did not create alternate timelines.
-Show a logical way for the ship to avoid the grandfather-paradox (undoing what made you do the undoing).
-Show how something can interact with the universe while the universe can not interact with it.
-Show how the ship can violate the Laws of Thermodynamics
-Since it can violate the Laws of Thermodynamics, show why this was not used as a weapon
-Show how it avoids having it's work undone in an infinite universe, since it has no ontological intertia.

YOU made all these claims, so start backing them up.

Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

I didn't use dialog to disprove all of your points.
The dialog states that they are ageless because they are protected from space-time.
Read what you write, fucktard. Contrary to what you said we do not see evidence that Annorax has been doing this for 200 years, that is something he and his crew established in dialogue. Besides, "protected from spacetime therefor you do not age" is non-nonsensical itself. Even if you were "outside of spacetime" this should not stop the process of aging since they clearly are affected by their own time as experienced on the ship. I should state that no matter how you slice it the ship does experience time, since otherwise they would be stuck in a Matrix Effect (as the Nostalgia Critic put it in his Lost in Space review) and not moving around in their ship. This means something else must account for their agelessness, if indeed we can trust that Annorax wasn't bullshitting on this as well. For now I will grant you that he is not since there is no evidence against this statement, but the point stands. The Timeship clearly wasn't outside spacetime, dialogue be damned.
Is there some reason you don't want to accept that annorax cannot use his weapon on a molecule? It's not that of an extraordinary claim he's making there. I fail to see how that hurts your position anymore than it already is that he can erase a molecule.
A single molecule and every molecule surrounding it. What is under dispute is the precision Annorax claims to have which he never demonstrates. Just like he never demonstrates that his ship is impervious to weapons.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
takemeout_totheblack
Padawan Learner
Location: Knowing where you are is no fun! Back to adventure!

Post by takemeout_totheblack »

Someone make a ImperialWiki page on this guy right away, this is too much idiocy to let go to waste! One day we may look back on this and think 'remember when that one guy nearly matched DarkStar in idiocy? Yeah! It's all documented!'

Seriously though, is this guy just a determined troll or could we actually get ZPE from the perfect vacuum between his ears?
There should be an official metric in regard to stupidity, so we can insult the imbeciles, morons, and RSAs out there the civilized way.
Any ideas for units of measure?

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali fought a 80-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire earth was destroyed.
~George Foreman, February 27th 3000 C.E.
Jericho Kross
Padawan Learner

Post by Jericho Kross »

For a guy who says he debates creationists he sure debates like one and defends his points like one
I may be just a redshirt but guess what?
I'am the only one who brought a gun!!

"Wake me, when you need me"
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

I wrote:This means something else must account for their agelessness, if indeed we can trust that Annorax wasn't bullshitting on this as well. For now I will grant you that he is not since there is no evidence against this statement, but the point stands. The Timeship clearly wasn't outside spacetime, dialogue be damned.
Having re-read this, I realize I wasn't very clear. I mean that there is no reason to think that Annorax was bullshitting about the 200 years figure (and indeed his crew behaves like you would expect if they had failed for that long), not the "we're ageless because we're protected from time" statement (which is nonsense).
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.