Moderator: Vympel

marsh8472
Youngling

Re: I need some debate help

Post by marsh8472 »

As evidenced by-what, exactly?

From voyager episode "rise"
Chakotay: "That asteroid should have been vaporized. What happened?"
Kim: "I'm not sure. Sensors showed a simple nickel-iron composition. We shouldn't be seeing fragments more than a centimeter in diameter.
Plus kim was under the impression that this asteroid was nickel/iron. People have used this to calculate to yield of photons in the megaton range.

http://www.statemaster.com/encyclopedia/Photon-torpedo says a torpedo has a yield of about 17 megatons which would mean a warp core breach would have more yield than 680 megatons assuming a compliment of 40 torpedo. Plus their self-destruct destroyed that huge Vidiian ship that was docked with them so you know that explosion probably had quite a kick to it too.
(200GT per battery, possibly per barrel. That's 400,000 to 1,600,000 photon torpedoes per shot (happily ignoring that unlike turbolasers, photorps usually waste most of their yield on empty space) for a SINGLE battery.)
Those quad turbo laser 200 gigaton figures shown in ICS clone wars huh? Too bad we never see those lasers fired and those were known to have heating problems and were slow to turn so they were useless against x-wings. The only reason people say 200 gigatons all the time is because its the highest yield figure shown in that ICS book. Everything else is substantially lower. Plus those figures were for the republic assault ships. There is no mention of quad heavy lasers on the star destroyer in the ICS books.

What do you suppose the verteron ray on mars yield is? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptAhLh_3D00 you see the verteron ray fire at 7:21 into the video
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

Actually, we see fighters being hit from the side in ANH by turbolasers.
Granted, those were not heavy turbolasers, but they are still well within the high-MT range - exceeding any non-superweapon in Trek.
And since Trek-ships are way bigger than fighters (hundreds of meters as compared to ~12 meters), hitting them is not excatly that difficult.

Oh, and where do you get the heating problems from?
(I pressume you mean overheating problems - but then again, that's given credit to someone who was "educated" by Trek).
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
marsh8472
Youngling

Post by marsh8472 »

Serafina wrote:Actually, we see fighters being hit from the side in ANH by turbolasers.
Granted, those were not heavy turbolasers, but they are still well within the high-MT range - exceeding any non-superweapon in Trek.
And since Trek-ships are way bigger than fighters (hundreds of meters as compared to ~12 meters), hitting them is not excatly that difficult.

Oh, and where do you get the heating problems from?
(I pressume you mean overheating problems - but then again, that's given credit to someone who was "educated" by Trek).
heating problems come from what's in the ICS about them plus I think I read the same thing on wiki. It takes a while to aim that weapon.
Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

What do you suppose the verteron ray on mars yield is?
It didn't seem too impressive - just a big cloud of ejecta mostly. Of course, I doubt a nuclear fireball would be visible on an airless moon, and that ejecta likely covered up any superheated rock. Which reminds me, I didn't really see anything in the way of vaporised rock at all. Off-hand I would say it's more powerful than any ship-based Starfleet weapon due to the big old shockwave it makes (including photorps), but the explosion is certainly puzzling.
Too bad we never see those lasers fired and those were known to have heating problems and were slow to turn so they were useless against x-wings.
Dunno where those problems come from, but they were designed for use against capital ships anyway, not piddly little fighters.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

This too, enough.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/