Let's Plan the invasion of the ST Galaxy by the Empire!

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Eleas
Jaina Dax

Re: Let's Plan the invasion of the ST Galaxy by the Empire!

Post by Eleas »

The Romulan Republic wrote:If I understand what you're saying, how would launching terror attacks set off local wars between factions, as opposed to inciting retalliatory attacks against us? We would have to ensure that blame for the attacks could not be traced back to us.
I guess I did make some logical jumps there; I didn't intend to imply regular style military strikes in the AQ, but strikes intend to resemble the acts of rival governments. The example was a random one - any arena with multiple bordering powers and military tensions between them would do. Not only would a conflict weaken the participants, but might even net the Empire some bonus points if they, for instance, provide humanitarian aid and the like.
The Romulan Republic wrote:What about threatening/bribing/persuading a few local factions to join us, giving them some outdated/obsolete Star Wars tech, and using them as proxies against other, hostile powers?
That, too, is a good idea. Basically, after demonstrating the capability to destroy the two greatest boogiemen the galaxy has seen, use diplomacy and divisive tactics, coupled with judicious use of force. Play your cards right, and the rest of the galaxy will only know that the Empire can take on anyone and emerge undefeated. That reputation is, as Tarkin recognized, a huge asset, even moreso when it is all that people know about you.
A thought occurs. Would it be appropriate or worthwhile to consider the possibility of outside intervention? If the Empire is capable of actually invading another galaxy, then it is possible that similarly powerful civilizations in other galaxies will become aware of this. They may consider trans-Galactic expansion on the part of the Empire to be a potential threat to their own interests and security.

Can this possiblity be safely discounted?
It can't be discounted, but if that is truly the case, it can't be planned for, either. The only chance to negate that possibility would be to stay within one's own galaxy, and (in the view of the Empire, at least) that would only worsen our position when the (they would argue) inevitable expansionist multi-galaxy empire comes along later on.

So no, I wouldn't call speculation along those lines productive. We might as well plan for what we'd do in the event of the Q spontaneously turning each planet we manage to capture into Cornflakes.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

So no, I wouldn't call speculation along those lines productive. We might as well plan for what we'd do in the event of the Q spontaneously turning each planet we manage to capture into Cornflakes.
Go into the cereal business and flood the intergalactic childrens market with suggay goodness.
It can't be discounted, but if that is truly the case, it can't be planned for, either. The only chance to negate that possibility would be to stay within one's own galaxy, and (in the view of the Empire, at least) that would only worsen our position when the (they would argue) inevitable expansionist multi-galaxy empire comes along later on.
If we have a wormhole this is less of a problem as there isn't any immediate sign we ae outsiders. That and we have shorter supply lines than any hypothetical enemy.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Samuel wrote:Go into the cereal business and flood the intergalactic childrens market with suggay goodness.
...I literally don't know how to debate that, and so must reluctantly concede the point.
:(
If we have a wormhole this is less of a problem as there isn't any immediate sign we ae outsiders. That and we have shorter supply lines than any hypothetical enemy.
The vagueness of that part of the scenario makes it difficult to strategize. If there's intergalactic commute, as it were, between the MW and the SW galaxy, then yes, it might theoretically be found out by more advanced societies. However, the technology necessary to spot something so comparatively small from faraway galaxies within a meaningful timeframe is, I should think, enough to qualify for a textbook Outside Context Problem regardless.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Eleas wrote:That, too, is a good idea. Basically, after demonstrating the capability to destroy the two greatest boogiemen the galaxy has seen, use diplomacy and divisive tactics, coupled with judicious use of force. Play your cards right, and the rest of the galaxy will only know that the Empire can take on anyone and emerge undefeated. That reputation is, as Tarkin recognized, a huge asset, even moreso when it is all that people know about you.
The problem with the Tarkin Doctrine (aside from being utterly immoral, though that would not likely concern most top Imperial officials), is that it relies completely on fear. It ensures that your subjects will probably not have much affection for you (to put it mildly), so the only thing maintaining your power and security is the threat of prompt and massive retaliation for even the slightest resistance. Perhaps I exaggerate or simplify somewhat, but I consider it a very limiting policy, and one that cannot even pretend to work unless their is a garuntee of massive retaliation. So, unless you could make sure that we had the capacity to put a ship with turbolaser-grade firepower in any rebellious system at will, the willingness to destroy any rebellious world, and that the locals knew this and believed you would follow through on the threat, then following the Tarkin Doctrine is simply inviting disaster. And doing this might well require or at least benefit from having a regular, visible military presence in every major system, which would be a massive drain on resources as you yourself observed, and might very well prove simply impossible.

What is more effective is a mix of intimidation and incentives, encouraging the idea that your's is a system others should want to live under. Of course, this means providing the occupied with some of the benefits of Imperial rule, which in turn means conceding some of your tech superiority. But the end goal should be to fully integrate and absorb the Milky Way into Imperial society, since I simply do not believe the Empire has the resources to spare to fully control a hostile galaxy purely through the use of the Tarkin Doctrine.

Perhaps this extends somewhat beyond the scope of this thread, however. This would be a question for the long-term occupation, not the invasion, and is perhaps more of a domestic political/diplomatic than a military matter.
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Eleas wrote:That, too, is a good idea. Basically, after demonstrating the capability to destroy the two greatest boogiemen the galaxy has seen, use diplomacy and divisive tactics, coupled with judicious use of force. Play your cards right, and the rest of the galaxy will only know that the Empire can take on anyone and emerge undefeated. That reputation is, as Tarkin recognized, a huge asset, even moreso when it is all that people know about you.
The problem with the Tarkin Doctrine (aside from being utterly immoral, though that would not likely concern most top Imperial officials), is that it relies completely on fear. It ensures that your subjects will probably not have much affection for you (to put it mildly), so the only thing maintaining your power and security is the threat of prompt and massive retaliation for even the slightest resistance. Perhaps I exaggerate or simplify somewhat, but I consider it a very limiting policy, and one that cannot even pretend to work unless their is a garuntee of massive retaliation. So, unless you could make sure that we had the capacity to put a ship with turbolaser-grade firepower in any rebellious system at will, the willingness to destroy any rebellious world, and that the locals knew this and believed you would follow through on the threat, then following the Tarkin Doctrine is simply inviting disaster. And doing this might well require or at least benefit from having a regular, visible military presence in every major system, which would be a massive drain on resources as you yourself observed, and might very well prove simply impossible.
Quite right; as you may notice, I was not alluding to the effectiveness of the Tarkin Doctrine in its entirety, but the (in my view correctly made) observation that giving the impression of invincible might would be a powerful asset.
What is more effective is a mix of intimidation and incentives, encouraging the idea that your's is a system others should want to live under. Of course, this means providing the occupied with some of the benefits of Imperial rule, which in turn means conceding some of your tech superiority. But the end goal should be to fully integrate and absorb the Milky Way into Imperial society, since I simply do not believe the Empire has the resources to spare to fully control a hostile galaxy purely through the use of the Tarkin Doctrine.
Indeed not. The Tarkin Doctrine in its entirety is a foolish extrapolation, and it's probable that Tarkin's pet theories just happened to dovetail with the Emperor's love of rule by fear. But that does not invalidate his observation that fear of a weapon can be far more effective than the weapon itself ever could be.

As an aside, this use of fear is not unique or special. Many real-life empires have done this - punishing enemies harshly and generously rewarding friends can, if done carefully and with apparent dispassion, be very motivating. Allowing some neutral parties to retain neutrality (or actually the appearance of neutrality, since you will be using that opportunity to close some trade deals and just generally act the part of a responsible neighbor who comes in for tea every once in a week) will sway a lot of said neutral parties into aligning more heavily with you, given time. Then you can simply make it harder and harder for them to extricate themselves.
Perhaps this extends somewhat beyond the scope of this thread, however. This would be a question for the long-term occupation, not the invasion, and is perhaps more of a domestic political/diplomatic than a military matter.
Indeed. Of course, I'm of the opinion that an immediate invasion would be idiotic in the long term, and that it would be better to establish a foothold and let diplomacy, fear, and most importantly the overwhelming power of beneficial trade arrangements win the day within a decade or two. Nobody would be surprised upon finding a dozen crushed empires banding together to avenge their worlds. But if all those empires weren't crushed, and instead just happen to be trade partners, the rebels will at best be disgruntled revolutionaries fighting to avenge the freedoms most of their citizens would gleefully trade away for a little more material comfort and security.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Stark wrote:He probably means 'goods', products of all kinds. SW can trivially out-produce ST in anything they consider valuable or trade in, which arguably makes military conquest unnecessary.
The problem is, you need to pick the right stuff to flood ST with; since due to the replicator and cheap energy, they can produce a lot of what the average person needs fairly easy.

Yes; I know the replicators are mass/energy intensive; but it makes resupply easier; just pipe over M/AM or fusion fuel plus replicator feedstock, and you're done. No need to physically transfer pallets of food; break them down, etc between a resupply ship and a UFP ship.

Cheap droids or weapons would be a nice trade. Low enough in technology to not significantly endanger us; yet high enough in technology for the ST galaxy to want them.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Here's an evil idea: how about versions of all those medical compounds that the Feds and others can't synthesize with their vaunted replicators? Even worse, give them away for free (well, in return for services rendered at a later date). Combine it with some political maneuvering, and it could be a fine way to begin the swift erosion of UFP legitimacy.

EDIT: I realize there's a lot of "ifs" in this, but it struck me as such a deliciously hypocritical tactic.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Don't forget the biggest weapon the Empire has in the modern style of imperialism: finance. Go for the classic strategy of sending in economists to justify to local powers the necessity for massive developmental loans, that will boost local economies massively and bring their people into the modern trans-galactic economy.

Of course, the economic predictions end up being just a tad rosier than reality, and now the Klingons, say, are stuck with gargantuan loans they have no hope of repaying.

Then it comes time for Palpatine to put his hands around their testicles and start squeezing, while keeping a straight face: "Oh, well, I suppose we can forgive your debt... so long as the Empire gets basing rights here, here, and here - or maybe you'll have to institute some new economic reforms, to make sure that your economy doesn't get into this situation again - here's a list of things you should do (don't mind that it will allow Imperial corporations to move and take over your economy, ruining your industry, and making you completely dependent on the Empire, you - personally - will do very well in all this)."

And presto, another target subjugated without the death of so much as a single stormtrooper.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Do we have World Devastators in this scenario? One might really come in handy for producing building materials to start a base somewhere.

MKSheppard wrote:
Stark wrote:He probably means 'goods', products of all kinds. SW can trivially out-produce ST in anything they consider valuable or trade in, which arguably makes military conquest unnecessary.
The problem is, you need to pick the right stuff to flood ST with; since due to the replicator and cheap energy, they can produce a lot of what the average person needs fairly easy.
Two things.
1: Bacta. It cures everything!!! Ok maybe not everything, but it does seem to be a standard treatment for everything from minor cuts and burns to amputated limbs.

2: Hypermatter generators. They're more powerful and safer than most Trek power systems. Also once they start becoming standard you can jack up the price of the hypermatter itself :twisted:

Both of these things would probably be fairly popular commodities without actually giving the MW a serious leg up to wars tech.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Not with the reduction in firepower disparity, no. If Fed cap ships can threaten corvettes now, its stands to reason that Borg ships (and a few others out their) can threaten our light capital ships in conventional combat.
I'd like to quantify my earlier statement.

1A. Federation Capital Ships Capabilities vary very widely -- I mean, we have seen the UFP consider even Mirandas or Excelsiors to be viable battleline units right up to Deep Space Nine -- and there's a huge leap in capability between an Excelsior and a Galaxy Class, much less a Sovereign.

1B. We've never really seen sufficient evidence of large quantities of the high-end Federation ships floating around -- for example, we never saw that many Galaxies floating around during the Dominion War Arc; and during the First Contact battle; while the overwhelming majority of the ships were new-build types, there was still a great disparity between their power and that of the Enterprise-E.

2. If we ranked the navies of the ST Galaxy by their Analogs on today's Earth, with the UFP being the US Navy, they'd come out as:

2A. The Romulans occupy the spot of the Soviet Fleet. They have a large fleet of modern and big ships -- all they seemed to use in the Dominion war were D'Didrex Warbirds, and those are bigger than the Galaxy Class.

2B. The Klingons are sort of like a low-rent budget version of how the Soviet Fleet would've looked if Stalin had built his Stalingrad battlecruiser swarm in the 50s, followed by modern missile ships in the 70s. While their forces are much more modern than teh Federation's (Look at how many Vor'chas are around versus the old D7 clones/upgrades); they have very limited heavy capital units -- we only saw one Negh'var; and that was the Chancellor's Flagship during DS9.

2C. The Cardassians are basically the Star Trek Universe's equivalent of the Royal Navy or French Navy. While they have a significant number of fairly modern ships (Galors); they seem to lack any real "heavy" battleline units that can go toe to toe with other nation's heavy ships.

2D. The Dominion. They seem to be basically the incarnation of the FAC swarm -- with all of their ships basically being very modern, very fast missile boats with a special weapon which was quickly nullified by the other powers. We can just allocate Lancer Frigates to Imperial Task Forces operating in the Gamma Quadrant to deal with the FAC Suicide Swarm (TM).

3. I imagine that only the most modern, most powerful units like Sovereigns, Negh'vars, and whatever the Romulans use for that role, can offer a decent fight to a middle-weight class Imperial Ship -- A single Corellian Corvette or Nebulon B should be able to convert crap like Mirandas or Excelsiors into rapidly expanding clouds of debris with little damage to itself other than scratching the paint on the hull and a fair amount of depletion of it's shield accumulator banks.

The problem comes when the ST powers gang up their ships into the huge walls of death that they like; and back up the crap with some fairly modern units.

But remember, unless it's pirate patrol, Imperial Doctrine calls for small ships to operate in cohesive groups (lines, squadrons, etc). So instead of three Sovereigns ganging up on a single Strike Cruiser, it's the other way around.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

MKSheppard wrote: I'd like to quantify my earlier statement.

1A. Federation Capital Ships Capabilities vary very widely -- I mean, we have seen the UFP consider even Mirandas or Excelsiors to be viable battleline units right up to Deep Space Nine -- and there's a huge leap in capability between an Excelsior and a Galaxy Class, much less a Sovereign.

1B. We've never really seen sufficient evidence of large quantities of the high-end Federation ships floating around -- for example, we never saw that many Galaxies floating around during the Dominion War Arc; and during the First Contact battle; while the overwhelming majority of the ships were new-build types, there was still a great disparity between their power and that of the Enterprise-E.

2. If we ranked the navies of the ST Galaxy by their Analogs on today's Earth, with the UFP being the US Navy, they'd come out as:

2A. The Romulans occupy the spot of the Soviet Fleet. They have a large fleet of modern and big ships -- all they seemed to use in the Dominion war were D'Didrex Warbirds, and those are bigger than the Galaxy Class.

2B. The Klingons are sort of like a low-rent budget version of how the Soviet Fleet would've looked if Stalin had built his Stalingrad battlecruiser swarm in the 50s, followed by modern missile ships in the 70s. While their forces are much more modern than teh Federation's (Look at how many Vor'chas are around versus the old D7 clones/upgrades); they have very limited heavy capital units -- we only saw one Negh'var; and that was the Chancellor's Flagship during DS9.

2C. The Cardassians are basically the Star Trek Universe's equivalent of the Royal Navy or French Navy. While they have a significant number of fairly modern ships (Galors); they seem to lack any real "heavy" battleline units that can go toe to toe with other nation's heavy ships.

2D. The Dominion. They seem to be basically the incarnation of the FAC swarm -- with all of their ships basically being very modern, very fast missile boats with a special weapon which was quickly nullified by the other powers. We can just allocate Lancer Frigates to Imperial Task Forces operating in the Gamma Quadrant to deal with the FAC Suicide Swarm (TM).

3. I imagine that only the most modern, most powerful units like Sovereigns, Negh'vars, and whatever the Romulans use for that role, can offer a decent fight to a middle-weight class Imperial Ship -- A single Corellian Corvette or Nebulon B should be able to convert crap like Mirandas or Excelsiors into rapidly expanding clouds of debris with little damage to itself other than scratching the paint on the hull and a fair amount of depletion of it's shield accumulator banks.

The problem comes when the ST powers gang up their ships into the huge walls of death that they like; and back up the crap with some fairly modern units.

But remember, unless it's pirate patrol, Imperial Doctrine calls for small ships to operate in cohesive groups (lines, squadrons, etc). So instead of three Sovereigns ganging up on a single Strike Cruiser, it's the other way around.
I'm not disputing any of this, and if I misunderstood this scenario or exaggerated the difficulty in facing Trek fleets in combat at any point, then I'm sorry and it was unintentional.

However, my point was not so much that we would be unable to deal with Fed fleets (even if Excelsiors could one-shot-kill ISDs, we'd still have a serious raw numbers advantage), as it was that first, this means that the Borg Collective's highly numerous Cube ships will be a real threat (one of those surely outguns any Fed or Klingon ship ever seen), and that simply patrolling/occupying so much territory is going to be a massive logistical task.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

The Romulan Republic wrote:this means that the Borg Collective's highly numerous Cube ships will be a real threat (one of those surely outguns any Fed or Klingon ship ever seen), and that simply patrolling/occupying so much territory is going to be a massive logistical task.
The Borg are going to be the biggest problem we face in our conquest of the ST Galaxy, because they both have the firepower to challenge us AND numbers of heavy capital ships to actually challenge us.

Though, we do have a massive advantage over the other ST races in fighting the Borg; other than just sheer firepower.

If a lone Nebulon B or Strike cruiser stumbles upon a Borg Node consisting of hundreds, perhaps thousands of cubes; it can just hyper away immediately; while a ST task force wouldn't be able to outrun the borg pursuit force.

Firepower Wise; I'd say that incursions into known Borg Space should be restricted to Wedge shaped warships (418 Cruiser, VSD, ISD, or Executor); because of the need to mass firepower along arcs to cut the Borg to pieces.

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Back on Page one, someone brought up language - Klingon was used inthe Mustafar system back in RotS.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

MKSheppard wrote: Firepower Wise; I'd say that incursions into known Borg Space should be restricted to Wedge shaped warships (418 Cruiser, VSD, ISD, or Executor); because of the need to mass firepower along arcs to cut the Borg to pieces.
Do the borg have any particular vulnerability to kinetic as opposed to energy attacks (I have a vague recollection that such is the case, but I'm not sure where I heard it)? If this is true, might ships relying primarily on missiles/torpedos be a good choice for taking them down?

Not that the ISDs and such would be unable to handle it. .
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
MKSheppard wrote: Firepower Wise; I'd say that incursions into known Borg Space should be restricted to Wedge shaped warships (418 Cruiser, VSD, ISD, or Executor); because of the need to mass firepower along arcs to cut the Borg to pieces.
Do the borg have any particular vulnerability to kinetic as opposed to energy attacks (I have a vague recollection that such is the case, but I'm not sure where I heard it)? If this is true, might ships relying primarily on missiles/torpedos be a good choice for taking them down?
Borg drones certainly evidence complete vulnerability to kinetic energy. It seems to simply bypass their shields. First Contact shows Data and Worf both managing to engage drones successfully in hand to hand, and holographic bullets of a tommy-gun (presumably sharing characteristics with real ones) kill drones without trouble. Only Seven of Nine's shield has, to my knowledge, ever activated against a purely physical threat.

Borg vessels are a bit trickier, but if you can get a ballpark distance between the Borg Cubes in Scorpion, part 2 and the Borg Cube, then (making the usual assumption of a 3 km side facing) you can easily use Mike's planetary destruction script to calculate the kinetic energy of the debris of the exploding planet, and from there determine what portion of the energy struck the cube. Said debris was enough to utterly annihilate all comers. There was also something about a Species 8472 vessel having successfully rammed a Borg Cube in Scorpion, part 1, and Worf also ordered ramming speed in First Contact, although that may well be dismissed as the ravings of an idiot berserker.

Regardless, those examples, the destruction of a Borg Cube by solar flare in Descent, and the complete lack of scenes in which the Borg manage to defend against purely kinetic attacks other than photon torpedoes (which usually seem to just vanish upon impact with the shields), imply Borg defenses against KE would be subpar compared to their other abilities.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

Ghetto edit: Sources for this may be pertinent.

The original Scorpion calcs (which I believe were done by Chuck Sonnenburg) seem to have vanished, but there is a relevant thread from 2003 here discussing the incident.
The scene can be watched, unfortunately in substandard quality, here.
Finally, you can use either the planetary destruction calculator, or you could just use Mike's ballpark figure on the S-8472 planet busting, which is a total kinetic energy of 5E16 megatons for the planet's debris, and assumes a planet of Earth-like mass.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

MKSheppard wrote:But remember, unless it's pirate patrol, Imperial Doctrine calls for small ships to operate in cohesive groups (lines, squadrons, etc). So instead of three Sovereigns ganging up on a single Strike Cruiser, it's the other way around.
If we still retain a massive FTL advantage, that will be an effective force multiplier. Especially given the apparently universal penchant of Trek empires for sending their most powerful starships on solitary deep-space patrol missions.
Björn Paulsen

--Chinua Achebe
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Okay, so far, here is what we have to go on;
We know what it takes to run a Star Wars ship/fleet
We have contact with this Star Trek Galaxy via Wormhole or Hypergate or other method
(Hypergate: Think Stargate, but this was made by tentacled aliens that rose and fell before the Republic)
We have captured a Star Trek ship and know the speed of hyperdrive.

That's all the information we have on the Star Trek Galaxy to start.

okay, first, we need more information.

Enemy Territory Information
What kind of data did we get from the Trek ship? Technical Specs? Local Star Charts?
Or did we luck out and capture a Federation ship and we know about all the races the Federation does? (Which would include the Borg and the Dominion, and a few of the more interesting Trek species)

I'm personally for a Federation ship, as that gives us the most initial options to work with.

Technical Information
First; how have we adjusted to deal with the Firepower differences? Are we assuming Star Trek weapons are now 1000 times more powerful, or that Imperial weapons are 1000 times less power, or what?

I'm in favor of 'due to weird ass reason', Trek weapons and shields are 1000 times more powerful on Wars ships (and Wars stuff is 1/1000th as effective vs Trek).

i.e a 200 Gigaton Turbolaser acts like a 200 Megaton shot vs Trek
i.e a 64 Megaton Trek Antimater weapon acts like a 64 Gigaton warhead vs Wars.

If this is the case, I can dig up some of my old 'more leveled' versus work I've done, and we can use that to determine battle information.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Post by Singular Intellect »

MariusRoi wrote:Back on Page one, someone brought up language - Klingon was used inthe Mustafar system back in RotS.
Say what? Was there actually Klingon language thrown into a SW movie?
"Now let us be clear, my friends. The fruits of our science that you receive and the many millions of benefits that justify them, are a gift. Be grateful. Or be silent." -Modified Quote
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

Brief Summary of an idea I had

Reveal exsistence to galaxy, trying to get into interstellar trade. This will let the speed of hyperdrive be known. We'll be using older hyperdrives for this.

Say a x16 or higher number, much slower then standard/modern hyperdrive. Something that would still take months to cross the galaxy, but would be faster then Warp drive (and comparable to transwarp)

In exchange for resources (i.e food, raw materials, star maps, etc), we sell hyperdrives to anyone that wants them. The models given be energy hogs, (and with vulnerabilities we don't mention, if possible) and too complicated for the purchasers to reproduce easily. In other words - little chance of seeing someone else mass produce them. This gives us the market and a lot of bargaining power.

It would also set off an race of sorts between the major powers. I can imagine the UFP doesn't want to see the Romulans being the only locals with hyperdrive, or vice versa. We could get alot of resources handed to us in exchange for enough hyperdrives to upgrade say, the entire Romulan Starfleet.

While this is going on, we locate plants of sufficient development (i.e at the level of the planet depicted in the TNG episode 'First Contact'), that either don't have interstellar relations, or don't want them.

We offer them membership in the Empire (or conquer them), and then maintain 'communications silence' (unless Imperial FTL communication is not detectable by local Trek powers), and use them to build a fleet suppor infrastructure.

We also do the same with any isolated and useful star systems we find (i.e has crystals we can use to make Star Wars Cloaking Devices, sources of Tibanna gas, or is a source of hypermatter, etc), and put in support infrastructure in them.

In short, we sell the locals inferior (to us) FTL technology for resources, and then use those resources to build up a support infrastructure in secret.

While this could take a decade or soe (unless we have access to World Devestators, in that case it might only take months), it would make long term occupation easier, without draining resources from the main Star Wars galaxy.

Once we've gotten to the point were our build up is nearly self-supporting (and maybe even have a few shipyards built and in production), thus making miltiary action in the Milky way easier (and having had time to gather up alot of valuable intelligence, including probably working examples of technology and even major species DNA for weapons research), we start conquering the local powers.

If we have the resources, I'd recommend destroying the Borg as the starting point.
If we have access to Sun Crusher technology (or something like the Galaxy Gun), using that would be best.

So would wide scale use of biological weapons. It's not like Borg worlds would be useful for anything except scrap anyway.

One tactic would be to use Hyperdrive equipped (modern Hyperdrive equipped) Starfighters, like Starwing Assault Gunboats, Skipray Blastboats, Tie Defenders, etc to hyperjump into a star system, unload a Suncrusher warhead into the star, and then hyperjump out. We might be able to catch the Borg off guard.

If we have enough fighters + warheads, we could hit a significant portion of the Borg at once. I can't imagine wiping out 10% or more of the Borg in a few hours would be good for the collective.

If we could build up a local coalition to go after the Borg with us, that would be even better. (i.e the Coalition ships go Borg ship hunting, while we annilate Borg star systems).

If we can find a way to contact Species 8472 and get them working with us against the Borg, so much the better.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

I think World Devastators yes, Sun Crusher no. Here's why

World Devastator: Factory/refinery with engines and a couple guns mounted on it. It's actually a simple concept and the tech to do it is everywhere. It was just never applied that way before.

Sun Crusher: Super special ship with Super special armor and Super special weapons that they only made one of. It wound up in a black hole, and everyone involved in the project was either killed or had their mind wiped IIRC.(I could be wrong, it's been awhile since I read those books)

Species 8472 had that whole "purge the galaxy" thing going on. I say ignore them unless they irritate us. If we run across some in our exploration tel them 'don't start none, won't be none'
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

phred wrote:Species 8472 had that whole "purge the galaxy" thing going on. I say ignore them unless they irritate us. If we run across some in our exploration tel them 'don't start none, won't be none'
Keep in mind that was largely because the Borg ATTACKED FIRST. plus, it wans;'t really a Purge the whoe galaxy, it was mostly, purge the galaxy od borg.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Agreed that 8472 should be left alone as long as they don't cause trouble. They're a needless complication, and invading them arguably doesn't fall within the parameters of the OP either (invade the Trek galaxy), as their territory is mostly confined to another dimension or something.
Jarek Densaku
Redshirt

Post by Jarek Densaku »

You must know......The rebels already learned about your plans. Now you can be sure they'll warn the Federation & the others about it, if it isn't done already.

PS: Hey. I've had to make a first post somewhere. :mrgreen:
"In 1966 Star Trek anticipated the cellphone.
In 2009 it's making placements for Nokia.
Seems like future generations of scientists will look somewhere else for inspiration."
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The issue of Rebel infilteration was raised earlier. How much of a concern it is will depend partly on how we're getting to the Trek galaxy.

If its via a single wormhole, won't be too hard to blockade it and check anyone going through to make sure they aren't spies, I should think. A few might get through eventually, but nothing short of a major attack is going to let Rebels get through in force.

If its some other means of travle, including multiple wormholes or standard hyperdrive, then it would be much more difficult, perhaps impossible, to keep Rebels out.

But they probably won't be able to spare enough of their own men and supplies to fight in the Star Trek Galaxy to enable the Feds to actually win. At worst, there will just be a low-level Rebel Alliance guerilla pressence establishing itself in the Trek Galaxy just as in the Wars one.