A phaser fired on a SW star Ship shields...

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

A phaser fired on a SW star Ship shields...

Post by Soontir C'boath »

My question is that...since the phaser is a continuos energy *ray* how does the SW Star ship shield reacts.. Because SW shields dispurse or absorb the energy from a bolt...

so what happens if the shield is hit with a phaser that prolly last for three seconds?

Cyaround,
Jason
P.S.- Dumb question it might be...but hey i'm no scientist.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Look over at the [Tech]Turobolasers for more info but basicly it boils down to the fact that Turbolasers already last 2-3 seconds so it does not matter(Instead of one big beam 50 smallers ones, which end up have alot more top firepower as you can fit more in then one BIG weapon which is inefficant and vurnable to attack)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Re: A phaser fired on a SW star Ship shields...

Post by Eleas »

"My question is that...since the phaser is a continuos energy *ray* how does the SW Star ship shield reacts.. Because SW shields dispurse or absorb the energy from a bolt...

so what happens if the shield is hit with a phaser that prolly last for three seconds?"

Well, the longer the beam lasts for the same amount of energy delivered, the less the intensity. Or, in other words, the more the dwell time of the phaser beam, the easier it would be for the shields to disperse it.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
IDMR
Moderator Emeritus

Re: A phaser fired on a SW star Ship shields...

Post by IDMR »

Soontir C'boath wrote:My question is that...since the phaser is a continuos energy *ray* how does the SW Star ship shield reacts.. Because SW shields dispurse or absorb the energy from a bolt...

so what happens if the shield is hit with a phaser that prolly last for three seconds?

Cyaround,
Jason
P.S.- Dumb question it might be...but hey i'm no scientist.
Generally speaking, if two attacks deliver the same amount of energy and assuming parity on energy transfer, the weapon with longer duration is less damaging than the shorter duration counterpart, simpler due to energy dispersion, and in the case of recharging shields the difference would be even more pronounce.
"Intellectual rigor annoys people because it interferes with the pleasure they derive from allowing their wishes to be the fathers of their thoughts." - George F. Will

"If theory and reality diverges, change reality." - Josef Stalin
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Mr Bean wrote:Look over at the [Tech]Turobolasers for more info but basicly it boils down to the fact that Turbolasers already last 2-3 seconds so it does not matter(Instead of one big beam 50 smallers ones, which end up have alot more top firepower as you can fit more in then one BIG weapon which is inefficant and vurnable to attack)
I believe turbolasers only last for fractions of a second, most of the time, TL bolt's are never seen for more than a couple of frames, never more than 24 thats for sure.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.