Hypermatter and the 'Omega Molecule'

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Michael Garrity
Youngling

Hypermatter and the 'Omega Molecule'

Post by Michael Garrity »

Whic of these has the greater energy density? In a certain episode of ST: VOY, CPT Janeway quotes that one omega molecule has more energy than a warp core

Mike Garrity
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

What was the O-M observed to actually DO?
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

How can you figure this out without even knowing what the mass of said molecule is? At least you could guestimate the energy output of a UFP starship, assuming of course the dialogue is even correct.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

So what's the power of 'a' Warp core in this scenario and by how much is the Omega molecule superior to this?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gullible Jones
Jedi Knight

Post by Gullible Jones »

If it's actually a (reasonably) stable molecule in canon, I don't think there's any way it could be massive enough to contain that kind of energy. I would assume the molecule is some kind of hideously wanky nanotech construct that sucks in energy from a parallel universe, or something.
Morilore
Jedi Master

Post by Morilore »

Gullible Jones wrote:If it's actually a (reasonably) stable molecule in canon, I don't think there's any way it could be massive enough to contain that kind of energy. I would assume the molecule is some kind of hideously wanky nanotech construct that sucks in energy from a parallel universe, or something.
It's hideously unstable, and that's the whole point of that episode: it's dangerous to use because it's so difficult to hold on to. But it's also made-up subspace bullshit physics: in real life, if you're getting energy from a molecule it's because you are destroying that molecule and transforming its constituent atoms into more stable states, so there is no way "one molecule" can supply the power output of a warp core for more than a tiny fraction of a second. Also, its decomposition "destroys subspace" or some shit.
"Guys, don't do that"
Gullible Jones
Jedi Knight

Post by Gullible Jones »

Ye gods. And it's a molecule? Please tell me it's at least made up of very exotic atoms in Trek canon... :lol:
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

For what I know, it's defined only Omega PARTICLE, so it can be SMALLER than an atom...
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

Whatever it's energy density Omega molecule would be quite useful to the Empire. Using Omega bombs they could cripple every Trek power without a single engagement. Furthermore they could detonate the bomb around their own systems to preemptively neutralize any ST attack and various subspace weapons.
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Maybe its something similar to the exotic particles they were getting when the SG Atlantis team were getting when they tried to create their own ZPM.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Ummm...yeah. Locking. This is akin to asking if an ISD can break the event horizon.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete