SD.net Starships

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Starglider wrote:
havokeff wrote:And the best looking is?
The Yamato class Federation battleship. I don't care if it's not canon damnit.

>snip<
Not only is it not canon, my first reaction was "Who ripped off the White Star?"
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The Original Enterprise is the best looking ship. Hands down. :D
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

General Zod wrote:Not only is it not canon, my first reaction was "Who ripped off the White Star?"
What? How does this;

look anything like this;

havokeff wrote:The Original Enterprise is the best looking ship. Hands down.
Come now, the refit constitution is clearly superior. Disco warp nacelles != win.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Starglider wrote:
General Zod wrote:Not only is it not canon, my first reaction was "Who ripped off the White Star?"
What? How does this; *snip Babylon 5 ship #1* look anything like this; *snip Babylon 5 ship #2*
Dude, seriously. Some designer totally took the White Star and "made it" a Star Trek design. Just pretend like the White Star's "head" is the docking point for the saucer section.
Starglider wrote:
havokeff wrote:The Original Enterprise is the best looking ship. Hands down.
Come now, the refit constitution is clearly superior. Disco warp nacelles != win.
Uh... The original had the disco nacelles, not the refit.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

havokeff wrote:Dude, seriously. Some designer totally took the White Star and "made it" a Star Trek design.
No, the only thing they have in common is lots of pylons. The Trek design those catamaran-inspired engineering hulls with most of the weight, and four chunky nacelles. The White Star has only two nacelles and it's all delicate and fluted, no really chunky bits to it.
havokeff wrote:
Starglider wrote:Come now, the refit constitution is clearly superior. Disco warp nacelles != win.
Uh... The original had the disco nacelles, not the refit.
'!=' is 'not equals' i.e. 'disco nacelles are not good'. I suppose you could've read it as a typo. Maybe I spend too much time chatting to programmers.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Starglider wrote:
What? How does this;

>snip<
That picture looks nothing like the one you originally posted.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

I always loved the assault phasers on the Yamato. Klingon Academy ruled. It was just unfortunate all the Romulan ships looked like cancer ridden pigeons.

Just out of interest was there any reason why a ship would need two navigational deflectors?
Or have it go terribly, terribly awry, crash on an uninhabited planet, and make up a society on a world that thousands of years later would be called Coruscant.
Hey that sounds like a great idea for a fanfic :lol:
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

General Zod wrote:
Starglider wrote:
What? How does this;

>snip<
That picture looks nothing like the one you originally posted.
Are you talking about the Yamato or the time ship?
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

havokeff wrote:
Are you talking about the Yamato or the time ship?
Bleh, I'm being an idiot it looks like. Using Firefox half-sized does not lend well to comparing images, so it seems I was quoting the wrong post. :?
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

General Zod wrote:That picture looks nothing like the one you originally posted.
It's a different angle of the same model. Here are some large images:

For a Starfleet ship that's a remarkably good looking design.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

OK in those pictures it doesn't look like a White Star at all.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Invictus ChiKen
Jedi Council Member

Post by Invictus ChiKen »

My Borgification plan would be simple. Somehow I gotta sneak drones onto Tattoine and assimilate a few locals. Then fit them with assimilation tools of some sort and have them assimilate others.

Keep repeating slowly till the Tattoines three main settlements are taken over. (possibly starting the the small outlaying farms)

One this is done we from time to time assimilate people passing through and give them the tools to assimilate others. (Here I'm thinking some sort of dart launcher loaded with nanites.)

The program would always be keep it low key and assimilate when the chance presents itself.

High priorities for assimilating doctors, good looking females, children, merchants and anyone deemed to have useful knowledge.

It would be especially useful if we could get a doctor assimilated. Open a private practice and assimilate the patients with "just a small shot".

Working from the small sparsely inhabited planets to begin with then moving on to more and more densly populated worlds, starting with the poorest areas and moving on up.

This should lead to being able to take the battle to major powers after the events of RotJ.
"The real ideological schism in America is not Republican vs Democrat; it is North vs South, Urban vs Rural, and it has been since the 19th century."
-Mike Wong
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

My Borgification plan would be simple. Somehow I gotta sneak drones onto Tattoine and assimilate a few locals. Then fit them with assimilation tools of some sort and have them assimilate others.

Keep repeating slowly till the Tattoines three main settlements are taken over. (possibly starting the the small outlaying farms)
That's assuming that nobody will ever learn of the Borg and their invasion. If they can fight off Tuskans, they can fight off Borg.

High priorities for assimilating doctors, good looking females, children, merchants and anyone deemed to have useful knowledge.
They don't look so good after Borgification, though.
Invictus ChiKen
Jedi Council Member

Post by Invictus ChiKen »

Obviously the Borgification needs to by altered. After all the idea is for them NOT to know we are in the area.
"The real ideological schism in America is not Republican vs Democrat; it is North vs South, Urban vs Rural, and it has been since the 19th century."
-Mike Wong
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

havokeff wrote:OK in those pictures it doesn't look like a White Star at all.
The other ship he mentioned (the Wells, which I didn't think was canon at all) does look kinda White Star-y.

The Yamato looks like a fannish kitbash (which it is) but it looks way better than the Missouri, or the Supah Oberth. :D I think the best feature of the Yamato design is increased width and symmetry. They glued-on nacelles, not so much.

Starglider, what's the most modern game featuring the SFB ships?
drachefly
Jedi Master

Post by drachefly »

... and I finally have time.

I'm amused by those who would bring Borg. Maybe they'd be decent fleet security, in that we don't want to be wiped out by a passing pirate, but they'd be useless for anything else. Keep quiet, folks!

My idea was kind of along the idea of Crossroads' - we could get good-looking peacetime fed ships such as the galaxy, refit them as best we can as luxury liners and holo-amusement parks, go to a reasonably law-abiding world, and make a decent living that way -- the SW-verse versions of these technologies do not seem to be so generally available. Pay our taxes, keep our noses clean.

Well before tESB, we should have enough money to afford a ship of some kind, that could make it to Hoth.

But the question does arise, do we want to change the timeline? Would messing around and potentially preventing Vader from meeting Luke and having their nice father-son chat, later prevent the events at Endor?
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

drachefly wrote:... and I finally have time.

I'm amused by those who would bring Borg. Maybe they'd be decent fleet security, in that we don't want to be wiped out by a passing pirate, but they'd be useless for anything else. Keep quiet, folks!
Exactly how would a civilization with a godawful amount of processing power, self-replicating construction machines, and an effectively unlimited amount of manual labor be useless?
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Stark wrote:The other ship he mentioned (the Wells, which I didn't think was canon at all) does look kinda White Star-y.
The Wells class is canon - the U.S.S. Relativity (which appeared in the Voyager episode of the same name) was identified as a 'Wells class timeship' by the dedication plaque on the brige.
The Yamato looks like a fannish kitbash (which it is)
Not really; all the pieces are original geometry, not taken from any other class. Even the secondary hulls, which look Excelsior-ish, differ in their proportions and detailing.
but it looks way better than the Missouri, or the Supah Oberth. :D
God that thing is an ugly pice of crap.
I think the best feature of the Yamato design is increased width and symmetry.
That's cool, but I also like the fact that the secondary-primary hull connection looks really solid, and the nacelles look solidly braced with that truss-like pylon arrangement. The two warp cores (one in each engineering hull) are sensible for a fighting ship, given the ease with which Federation warp cores get knocked out. The assault phasers are perhaps a little wankish but make sense for a battleship that's supposed to be a dedicated capship/starbase killer; the Klingons, Cardassians and Cardies all realised that a heavy forward energy weapon made sense.
They glued-on nacelles, not so much.
I like the arrangement but the nacelles themselves do suck. Scaled up Excelsior ones would actually be better - or Ambassador class ones (which get no love) would be cool. The saucer is also a bit too thin and fragile looking. I like the over-and-under photon torpedo launchers though, good firing arcs and since TWoK it always struck me as sensible to keep your antimatter bomb launchers well away from the main hull.
Starglider, what's the most modern game featuring the SFB ships?
AFAIK, Klingon Academy, though there are fan patches to put the originals or high-res versions into Bridge Commander and Starfleet Armada II.
drachefly
Jedi Master

Post by drachefly »

Ender wrote:Exactly how would a civilization with a godawful amount of processing power, self-replicating construction machines, and an effectively unlimited amount of manual labor be useless?
Because all of those things are possessed in even greater quantity in the galactic civilization in which we are immersed. We'd do better bringing something said civilization doesn't seem to have already.

Anyway, unless what you want is more borg, I'm not sure how good borg are at making it. It seems to be their specialty. I'm open to being corrected here, of course. I missed a lot of Voyager.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

drachefly wrote:Anyway, unless what you want is more borg, I'm not sure how good borg are at making it. It seems to be their specialty.
They should have all the knowledge of manufacturing techniques and specifications from all the beings/races they've assimilated. I'm pretty sure they could build any of it if they wanted to, they just don't have any motive to, as they believe their own design idiom is optimal.
Alien-Carrot
Youngling

Post by Alien-Carrot »

Ok, ANY individual spacefaring vessle I want?

Then I pick, THE DYSON SPHERE. :wanker:

I dont care what ships, bases, or super weapons they have, nothing short of the :wanker: Sun Crusher :wanker: is gonna win against that thing.

The only problem is it moves uber slow, and has no exterior weapons.

But then, uber slow to something 2AU wide is still pretty fast.

And there always ramming as a weapon. While not canon, the book Sphere showed its hull to be able to withstand a planetary impact.

And I'm talking an earthsized planet with a comparable [SP] moon.
2.2E32 joules of planet shattering kaboom
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Alien-Carrot wrote:I dont care what ships, bases, or super weapons they have, nothing short of the :wanker: Sun Crusher :wanker: is gonna win against that thing.
On the contrary, a few superlaser shots will probably destroy its structural integrity and cause it to tear itself apart. Plus you could always try firing a genesis device at it, the results can't be good.
The only problem is it moves uber slow, and has no exterior weapons.
Does it move at all? I thought it only had stablisation thrusters. That's insignificant for interstellar travel. It's not like the Ringworld, with its stellar-powered uber photon drive.
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

Voth city ship. Cruise around at Transwarp speeds, and when I'm bored, transport and power-down random passing freighters or pirates into my hangar bay and fuck around. You know, take their stuff, send them off-course, start a battle royale scenario between the crew, whatever. And whenever someone gets pissed, I just turn on the biggest cloak in the galaxy and zip away.
Alien-Carrot
Youngling

Post by Alien-Carrot »

In the above mentioned book, the star that porers the sphere actually crashed THROUGH the outer hull, and the sphere didnt lose integrity at all.

So how the hell can a few planet sized holes cause a problem?

Assume that a superlaser blast destroys 2x earth standard mass.

Thats about 1/10 billionth of the sphere's mass.

Thats like poking a hollow watermellon with a needle.

Scale that up 100 times, and its just a bigger needle

Just a question though. How many deathstar hyperdrives would it take to move that thing at a class 4 speed? Hell, even a class 10 speed would be acceptable for something that big.
2.2E32 joules of planet shattering kaboom
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Alien-Carrot wrote:Assume that a superlaser blast destroys 2x earth standard mass. Thats about 1/10 billionth of the sphere's mass.
Thats like poking a hollow watermellon with a needle.
The sphere is only 2km thick. I don't know its density, but I assume it can't be ridiculously dense or the ship that crash landed on it would've been crushed flat after it lost power. A competent commander would not fire the superlaser directly through the sphere. They would fire it at a grazing angle almost parallel to the surface. This will vaporise a massive trench hundreds of thousands of kilometres long, without even counting secondary damage from the immense mechanical shockwave, thermal conduction and relativistic shrapnel. At worst it will take a hundred or so shots (i.e. a month at most for the DSII) to fatally weaken the sphere, which is under immense stress supporting itself against the central star's gravity.
Just a question though. How many deathstar hyperdrives would it take to move that thing at a class 4 speed? Hell, even a class 10 speed would be acceptable for something that big.
I'll tell you if you tell me its density.