Get your fill of sci-fi, science, and mockery of stupid people
* FAQ    * Search   * Login 
Want to support this site? Click

Quote of the Week: "In the United States, the majority undertakes to supply a multitude of ready-made opinions for the use of individuals, who are thus relieved from the necessity of forming opinions of their own." - Alexis de Tocqueville, French writer (1805-1859)


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Author Message
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2007-09-21 12:05am
Offline
Youngling
User avatar

Joined: 2007-07-12 09:11pm
Posts: 138
Location: A Garden on Uranus
I just realized i've gotten sidetracked on my argument
I originally intended to say HOW to deal with the borg, but now im spending weeks trying to explain WHY.

I think the borg are dangerous.

And if you guys don't thing the borg are dangerous, why the fuck do most of you want to destroy them?

And if crossroads post is to be taken at face value, most of the 10yo asstards that would cause the danger in the first place will not be getting their own ships, so the danger is averted anyways.



2.2E32 joules of planet shattering kaboom

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2007-09-21 12:17am
Offline
Miles Dyson
User avatar

Joined: 2007-04-05 09:44pm
Posts: 7585
Location: Isle of Dogs
Alien-Carrot wrote:
And if you guys don't thing the borg are dangerous, why the fuck do most of you want to destroy them?


Because they enslave people on a vast scale in a particularly unpleasant way. And because destroying them is a propaganda coup in both the popularity and fear/respect dimensions.



Image
Image
Windhaven
~ Spirit of Flight ~

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

( Trailer : zeppelins, death rays, wormholes... )
( Opening cutscene / voice acting test )

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2007-09-21 12:23am
Offline
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 2005-04-12 10:01pm
Posts: 651
Location: Meh
Alien-Carrot wrote:
And if you guys don't thing the borg are dangerous, why the fuck do most of you want to destroy them?


They're the biggest kid on the block, and everyone knows it. After we beat the shit out of 'em, everyone will know we're the biggest kids on the block. After that, when we decide to take a system, we (likely) won't have to do anything but jump in, and demand a surrender. It'll cut down on the unnecessary collateral damage when any one of us takes over a system.



Kill one man, you're a murderer. Kill a million, a king. Kill them all, a god. - Anonymous

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2007-09-21 12:30am
Offline
Miles Dyson
User avatar

Joined: 2007-04-05 09:44pm
Posts: 7585
Location: Isle of Dogs
HSRTG wrote:
After that, when we decide to take a system, we (likely) won't have to do anything but jump in, and demand a surrender. It'll cut down on the unnecessary collateral damage when any one of us takes over a system.


Nice theory, but it's hobbled by how much communications in Trek suck; how many races did Voyager (and hell, even the Ent-D) fly past who had no clue what was going on in the galaxy as a whole? We could broadcast it but Trek tech isn't set up to receive hyperwave, so you'd have to send out lots of drones broadcasting over subspace, and if you did that would they be believed (particularly with the sheer number of messages flying about if multiple people try this)? The real news will eventually travel and be verified and believed, but with hundreds of SSDs tearing about at millions of c and invading planets left right and center, most of the action may be over before any of the Trek races have a good idea WTF is going on. I was thinking of using defeating the borg more as a propaganda tool for convincing nations you've already conquered not to resist so fiercely.



Image
Image
Windhaven
~ Spirit of Flight ~

x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x x

( Trailer : zeppelins, death rays, wormholes... )
( Opening cutscene / voice acting test )

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2007-09-21 08:31am
Offline
Village Idiot
User avatar

Joined: 2007-09-16 07:53pm
Posts: 4139
Location: Canada
Hey, here's an idea; how about we consider the same situation in the Star Wars galaxy.

A few thousand star dreadnoughts just appearing over Naboo, say? Could be fun. :D



SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2007-09-21 01:38pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2002-10-10 06:12pm
Posts: 8805
Location: Satellite of Love
Ryan Thunder wrote:
Hey, here's an idea; how about we consider the same situation in the Star Wars galaxy.

A few thousand star dreadnoughts just appearing over Naboo, say? Could be fun. :D

Naboo is toast the moment a few hundred teenagers realize this is their big chance to BDZ Jar-jar.



"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2007-09-21 02:13pm
Offline
Youngling
User avatar

Joined: 2007-07-12 09:11pm
Posts: 138
Location: A Garden on Uranus
Quote:
Naboo is toast the moment a few hundred teenagers realize this is their big chance to BDZ Jar-jar.
Thisa some bad ju-ju.

And you dont have to BDZ naboo just to kill jar-jar. Jut the area around the gungan city.



2.2E32 joules of planet shattering kaboom

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2007-09-21 02:58pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2005-03-20 07:26pm
Posts: 8375
Location: Sparkling with Iceland!
Alien-Carrot wrote:
And if crossroads post is to be taken at face value, most of the 10yo asstards that would cause the danger in the first place will not be getting their own ships, so the danger is averted anyways.


This is actually a valid point.

For much of the thread the contention has been that there will be so many immature younge kids... thousands in fact.. thatthe more mature would simply stay out of things. Now theres a chance of actually getting things organized. A Vast amount of the assumed trouble makers will simply no longer be here.

As for communication in the "slow" speeds of the Trek Galaxy... I recommend using our own ships as a Comm network. We can park a ship in a Powerful system, and relay broadcasts from the otherside of the galaxy to the various important Powers of the Galaxy.

On getting organized, May I recomend we get a volunteer corps set up to defend earth? Since there are bound to be a few nutcases left who will on impulse, want to conquore it.



Image
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Image

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2007-09-21 07:04pm
Offline
Jedi Knight
User avatar

Joined: 2006-05-12 12:19pm
Posts: 981
Location: High orbit
Alien-Carrot wrote:
Quote:
Naboo is toast the moment a few hundred teenagers realize this is their big chance to BDZ Jar-jar.
Thisa some bad ju-ju.

And you dont have to BDZ naboo just to kill jar-jar. Jut the area around the gungan city.

If only the Executor Class existed at the time of TPM :D Then you'd take out Palpatine as well :lol:



It's no use debating an idiot; they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Your claim of using a scientific equation is laughable when all you have done is butcher science to the point it makes 'The Core' look like a fucking documentary.

"As you know science is not fact"- HuskerJay
"The Delta Fyler [sic] isn't even a shuttle craft" -HuskerJay69
"The Dominion War wasn't really all that bad"- Admiral Mercury

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2007-09-21 08:27pm
Offline
Village Idiot
User avatar

Joined: 2007-09-16 07:53pm
Posts: 4139
Location: Canada
EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
Alien-Carrot wrote:
Quote:
Naboo is toast the moment a few hundred teenagers realize this is their big chance to BDZ Jar-jar.
Thisa some bad ju-ju.

And you dont have to BDZ naboo just to kill jar-jar. Jut the area around the gungan city.

If only the Executor Class existed at the time of TPM :D Then you'd take out Palpatine as well :lol:


But... then there wouldn't be an Executor... And Anakin probably never would've joined the Dark Side, so neither would Vader. :wtf:

Where's the fun in that universe?



SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2007-09-22 02:38pm
Offline
_______
User avatar

Joined: 2003-01-05 02:36am
Posts: 12238
Location: Tampa Bay, Florida, USA
Starglider wrote:
Nice theory, but it's hobbled by how much communications in Trek suck; how many races did Voyager (and hell, even the Ent-D) fly past who had no clue what was going on in the galaxy as a whole? We could broadcast it but Trek tech isn't set up to receive hyperwave, so you'd have to send out lots of drones broadcasting over subspace, and if you did that would they be believed (particularly with the sheer number of messages flying about if multiple people try this)? The real news will eventually travel and be verified and believed, but with hundreds of SSDs tearing about at millions of c and invading planets left right and center, most of the action may be over before any of the Trek races have a good idea WTF is going on. I was thinking of using defeating the borg more as a propaganda tool for convincing nations you've already conquered not to resist so fiercely.


What about you just record your own (or your group, as you split apart to get more planets) footage of totally wtfpwning the Borg, then when you come over a planet you broadcast it to them with a message alone the lines of, "This is what we did to the Borg. Imagine what we'll do to you if you don't surrender."



Image
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2007-09-22 03:56pm
Offline
Emperor's Hand
User avatar

Joined: 2005-03-20 07:26pm
Posts: 8375
Location: Sparkling with Iceland!
RogueIce wrote:
What about you just record your own (or your group, as you split apart to get more planets) footage of totally wtfpwning the Borg, then when you come over a planet you broadcast it to them with a message alone the lines of, "This is what we did to the Borg. Imagine what we'll do to you if you don't surrender."


My idea was using our ships as relay pointsto broadcast... but this plan seems much easier.. and More fun!

I still want to get to Earth as quick as posisble... I don't know about you, but theres Terabytes of Music, Videos, and other fun stuff on Earth I;d liek to Download into my SSD.

Really, its safer there :P



Image
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Image

Top
 Profile  
 Post subject:  PostPosted: 2007-09-22 06:25pm
Offline
Village Idiot
User avatar

Joined: 2007-09-16 07:53pm
Posts: 4139
Location: Canada
RogueIce wrote:
Starglider wrote:
Nice theory, but it's hobbled by how much communications in Trek suck; how many races did Voyager (and hell, even the Ent-D) fly past who had no clue what was going on in the galaxy as a whole? We could broadcast it but Trek tech isn't set up to receive hyperwave, so you'd have to send out lots of drones broadcasting over subspace, and if you did that would they be believed (particularly with the sheer number of messages flying about if multiple people try this)? The real news will eventually travel and be verified and believed, but with hundreds of SSDs tearing about at millions of c and invading planets left right and center, most of the action may be over before any of the Trek races have a good idea WTF is going on. I was thinking of using defeating the borg more as a propaganda tool for convincing nations you've already conquered not to resist so fiercely.


What about you just record your own (or your group, as you split apart to get more planets) footage of totally wtfpwning the Borg, then when you come over a planet you broadcast it to them with a message alone the lines of, "This is what we did to the Borg. Imagine what we'll do to you if you don't surrender."


Or even better, just drag a Cube along with you and destroy it in front of them. :lol:



SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum

Top
 Profile  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group