SD.net SSD

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

as far as I know HAB hates Mechas with passion...
Yeah, i remembered that, hence my ghetto edit.

There IS a usergroup for Mecha fans called 'Mecha Maniacs.'
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Frankly, I would just team up with or at least do the bidding of the most organized of whatever subgroups form out of our little 3,000. Which judging from the past few pages, would be the Mess apparently.

Incidentally, is there a list of similarly themed threads involved the SDN denizens being dumped into a fictional/not universe of choice? I vaguely remember a LOTR one way back when I was lurking around.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

This may sound silly, but does anyone know the range of the sensors and communications on an Executor-class ship? If the ships are scattered throughout the galaxy fairly evenly, this would be a key factor in determining whose ships are where and how long this would take.

Of course, with the ships being equal, as soon as your ship detects them they will detect you, making a surprise ambush difficult at best if they turn out to be hostile, or even a 'neutral' 0 poster.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Quick question, why do people want to blow up Risa, of all planets, the others I might understand for one reason or another, but why Risa? That's like nuking the Caribbean, why, because their economy is dedicated to leisure?
The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Post by The_Saint »

One thought I had the other day... if we have any form of advanced warning before we're all hauled off to our SSD's is to try and get a sock puppet account started up. As I understand it the crew of each SSD is loyal only to their "captain", now although I assume this can be circumvented by stating to the crew that certain other SSD's are to be considered allies this does present a problem with all the inactive accounts. Even if the captain isn't in attendance the crew would probably still fight on.
Sooo getting back to where I started... two accounts means two SSD's and even more importantly two crews. So that's ~560,000 personnel if you please... skeleton crew one ship to defend a planet where the multitude of unnecessary crew can start a new empire and use the other for sorties.

Ignoring the hypothetical nature of all that... I'd give the next highest ranking person onboard a field commission to Captain, turn over all military command duties to them (due to my lack of any Star Wars capitol ship command experience). Suggest we keep away from anyone acting a bit power mad, find someone from the mess and subordinate myself to them (they seem to have their shit sorted) and otherwise generally try and stay alive, settle down somewhere and bitch about lack of Tasmanian beer and my girlfriend.
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

Cruise Husnock space with the people who would follow me (part of GALE, part of the Sisterhood, Shep, Big Steve, Phong, a couple others, probably), while rigging cloning tanks and droid production so we can create crews for the probable thousands of high-end Husnock ships which are apparently just drifting around after that super-being exterminated their species. We can maintain and repair them in the fleet drydocks in our Executors (looking at at least a dozen SSDs) and use them for patrol (they'd be sort of like coast guard cutters compared to the SSD--and that's what they'd be used for, as 12 SSDs and their hyper-capable fighters can't be everywhere. Probably put TIEs on them and basically use them as Jeep Carriers with droid/clone crews (and some stormtroopers from our onboard compliments), which is about all they'd be in firepower terms. See if their shielding could be upgraded and a few bolt-on self contained weapons mounts added.) with hyperspace tugs attached to provide strategic mobility. Then we just leave and look into colonizing the Magellenic clouds and establishing an Empire there and gradually expanding outward. Probably first raid whomever has settled down over the Ba'ku, force them to join us or annihilate them, and proceed to harvest the metaphasic particles to double our lifspans. Combined with Star Wars technology which already offers a lifespan of up to around 280 years for humans, that gives me the prospect of living to be 660+, which is more than enough time to set up a major state of an Imperial character; and of course the SSDs will keep running for at least 3,000 years and possibly long since the Invincible-class heavy cruisers of the CSA were that old and still in service, so no need to worry about losing the ships.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Lonestar wrote:pff.

You seem to be missing the point.

I don't think I would associate myself or my asset with anyone other than a "Mess" organization. It's almost inevitable that everyone else will breakdown into a massive clusterfuck, while we can sit tight and follow orders and come out on top :)
Additionally, its worth nothing that the Mess is also home to two of the people here who have done a god awful amount of research into the GFFA - me and Publis. You guys will be pouring through tech manuals while I'm instructing everyone on how to balance their fuel loads and Publis is organizing our logistics train.

I do suggest that we expand slightly beyond just the Mess however, and snag Mike, Connor, Brian, Sean, Ted, and Nyath the Nearly Wise for added expertise.

We could flush our current April Fools 08 plans though - this would offer much better oppertunities.
:twisted:
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Ender wrote:
Lonestar wrote:pff.

You seem to be missing the point.

I don't think I would associate myself or my asset with anyone other than a "Mess" organization. It's almost inevitable that everyone else will breakdown into a massive clusterfuck, while we can sit tight and follow orders and come out on top :)
Additionally, its worth nothing that the Mess is also home to two of the people here who have done a god awful amount of research into the GFFA - me and Publis. You guys will be pouring through tech manuals while I'm instructing everyone on how to balance their fuel loads and Publis is organizing our logistics train.

I do suggest that we expand slightly beyond just the Mess however, and snag Mike, Connor, Brian, Sean, Ted, and Nyath the Nearly Wise for added expertise.

We could flush our current April Fools 08 plans though - this would offer much better oppertunities.
:twisted:
It isn't that hard to recognize your own limitations and implement the Eisenhower plan of authority delegation; choose people based on character and their own capabilities and allow them essentially autonomous authority over their particular areas of expertise. I recognize that in this situation I would fundamentally just be signing "I approve" on the report files of the ship's department heads for quite some time.
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote: It isn't that hard to recognize your own limitations
You are kidding, right? It isn't that hard for mature people to do this which is why the first few weeks are going to be a xenocidal nightmare of detestation and incompetence as the jackass ego laden kiddies here go on a rampage and wipe themselves and most of the sapient biomass out.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

You guys are seriously underestimating the authoritative, stern voice saying "DO NOT do THAT."
I use it all the time at work and even adults still fall in line to it. I think most of the younger "lets see what this sucker can do" crowd can be kept in line that way. :wink:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Ender wrote:
The Duchess of Zeon wrote: It isn't that hard to recognize your own limitations
You are kidding, right? It isn't that hard for mature people to do this which is why the first few weeks are going to be a xenocidal nightmare of detestation and incompetence as the jackass ego laden kiddies here go on a rampage and wipe themselves and most of the sapient biomass out.
Well, they're not going to be cooperating with each other, couldn't we operate in concert for a while to sweep them up, at least? We could probably get 300 or so very reliable commanders, and picking off the dumbshits 300 to 1 isn't exactly going to be hard.

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

By the same token everyone not a member of the Mess will probably see them as a major threat, and if anyone with a brain can organise the idiots they might cause problems.
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Stark wrote:By the same token everyone not a member of the Mess will probably see them as a major threat, and if anyone with a brain can organise the idiots they might cause problems.
Well, I have nothing to worry about, since Rob Wilson is a good friend of mine, and I have nothing against the Mess, so I'd be pleased to lead my forces in conjunction with them.

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Unless one of these lynch mobs of terrified nooblets finds you first and destroys you in an uncontrollable frenzy of paranoia? :lol:
KlavoHunter
Jedi Master

Post by KlavoHunter »

Stark wrote:By the same token everyone not a member of the Mess will probably see them as a major threat, and if anyone with a brain can organise the idiots they might cause problems.
"No captain can do wrong if he puts his ship alongside the nearest enemy."

This most unfortunately works in the favor of the 'idiots', who, while lacking the coordination of the more organized Mess fellows, can still start trading broadsides with the Mess SSDs.

Even given Thrawn-like genius on the Mess' part (Which is improbable, nobody has experience in Star Destroyer warfare), this is still going to end up with a lot of damaged and destroyed Mess SSDs. Or worse, depending on the numbers of idiots and Mess.

As for my own actions? Tool around and eventually hook up with Shep, Steve, or Marina, whoever I run across first and feel the safest about.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I wouldnt' describe those three as people who would make *me* 'feel safe'. :lol:

Groups like the Mess have pre-existing loyalties, so they can just broadcast signals to quickly organise and concentrate, and then random groups of idiots won't be able to attack them directly.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

300? These are Star Dredanughts... Shoot, 15 to one is enough to take one out. I would imagine it would be easy to find enough to coordinate a clean up crew and slowly take out or take over miscriants.

Shoot, withen the first month I'm willing to bet HALF of everyone will loose ship due to just to Hyperspace Errors resualting in crashing into star/planet/etc
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Crossroads Inc. wrote:300? These are Star Dredanughts... Shoot, 15 to one is enough to take one out. I would imagine it would be easy to find enough to coordinate a clean up crew and slowly take out or take over miscriants.

Shoot, withen the first month I'm willing to bet HALF of everyone will loose ship due to just to Hyperspace Errors resualting in crashing into star/planet/etc
Why? The OP says you get a full crew. Are they retarded or something. It's not like the captains have to make the calculations themselves.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Stark wrote:Unless one of these lynch mobs of terrified nooblets finds you first and destroys you in an uncontrollable frenzy of paranoia? :lol:

Nobody has an interdictor field, my friend, so I can disengage at will until I form or fall in with a large enough body of ships.

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote: Nobody has an interdictor field, my friend, so I can disengage at will until I form or fall in with a large enough body of ships.
That's a damn good point. I guess I'm sufficiently a) paranoid and b) outside existing power structures that I'm eager to avoid any contact with the insane nerd contingent at all. :)
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

I'd probably would end up being part of somebody's battleline. i don't have any military experience but i do know i follow orders a lot better than give them. this also fits my skill set, I'm fairly good with small unit tactics but am not much good with strategy.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Coriolis
Padawan Learner

Post by Coriolis »

havokeff wrote:
Crossroads Inc. wrote:300? These are Star Dredanughts... Shoot, 15 to one is enough to take one out. I would imagine it would be easy to find enough to coordinate a clean up crew and slowly take out or take over miscriants.

Why? The OP says you get a full crew. Are they retarded or something. It's not like the captains have to make the calculations themselves.
Well, with all the anomalies and shit that Trek deals with, you'd be hard-pressed to find a safe route. Also, as you're new to the neighborhood, you wouldn't have a complete map of the galaxy to go by.
PRFYNAFBTFC - Verendo Iugula
Commander, Halifax-Class Frigate
MFS Doom Panda
Paradox244
Youngling

Post by Paradox244 »

You could probably buy one from the Ferengi.
Admiral Valdemar wrote:Ooh, I'm quaking in my boots. What's he going to do? Rhetoric us to death?
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Coriolis wrote:Well, with all the anomalies and shit that Trek deals with, you'd be hard-pressed to find a safe route. Also, as you're new to the neighborhood, you wouldn't have a complete map of the galaxy to go by.
Assuming one anomaly per episode (and thats being generous), thats about 500 in the Alpha and Delta (Voyager is between 1/5 and 1/4 of those episodes) quads. Do I even need to do calcs to show how SPARSE that would be in an area the size of half a galaxy?
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Darth Servo wrote:
Coriolis wrote:Well, with all the anomalies and shit that Trek deals with, you'd be hard-pressed to find a safe route. Also, as you're new to the neighborhood, you wouldn't have a complete map of the galaxy to go by.
Assuming one anomaly per episode (and thats being generous), thats about 500 in the Alpha and Delta (Voyager is between 1/5 and 1/4 of those episodes) quads. Do I even need to do calcs to show how SPARSE that would be in an area the size of half a galaxy?
It does seem that Starfleet ships seem to go out of their way to explore every anomaly they find, Voyager springs to mind, yet the area of space they explored would still be very small compared to that which they didn't. Unless they happened to travel through a particularly anomaly dense route, the number of undiscovered anomalies could be far greater than that of discovered ones. Of course, calculating the number of them would require a lot of assumptions.