Power of Star Wars weapons, a tad bit exagerated

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Oh and one more thing
The affected ship would be totally unable to hold its course and would more likely be blown clear across the galaxy. Sci-fi ships are powerful, but not that powerful.
Prehaps we should Introduce him to the Culture? :twisted:

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Actually the ICS seems more than official:

1: it is purely movie related. No EU appears.
2: it is a two-way street: the AOTC Slave I is armed as depicted in the ICS of 1998.

Speaking of ICS, hopefully with the DVD release Curtis Saxton will do a new one with-

- the Executor
- the Imperator II Star Destroyer
- the Home One Mon Calamari Cruiser
- Luke's speeder
- the Medical Frigate
- the Death Star II
- the TIE Bomber
- the TIE Interceptor
- Bespin Skyhopper

there's some definite ones that need to be included in that list methinks
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Yuri wrote:Until George Lucas says 200GT lasers are real, you don't have any proof other than that's the way you wish it were, end of story.

WE HAVE OFFICIAL EVIDENCE YOU FUCKING MORON!!!!!!!!
Besides, 200GT is more than enough energy to push any ship off course, yet the Millenium Falcon is never pushed off course, much less blown halfway across the galaxy each time it gets hit. Why is this?

Because there's something called an inertial compensator!

And if you're going to say that the engines are really that powerful, well then shut up and don't bother. I noticed that the whole turbolaser argument on this site is just a a goofy debate over inconsistancies in special effects. (Again, get a life, Mike Wong).

No you pathetic excuse for a single celled organism, it's not about "inconsistancies in special effects" it's about seeing the firepower of SW.

And Mike HAS A LIFE.
By the way, I like Star Wars, believe it or not, but not enough to pull absured numbers out of my ass and be a prick about it when anyone questions them.

Really? I thought we pulled these numbers OUT OF AN OFFICIAL BOOK.
I have this radical new idea that I can watch both SW and ST and ignore the inconsistanceis in them and enjoy the story without the need to go buy technical manuals for technologies that don't even exist. Guess you all are such nerds that this idea is beyond you, so we'll just have to start a flamewar, I guess.

So can I. But if you DEBATE IT YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT THE TECH!
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Yuri wrote:Nah, I'd rather just say you've all collectively lost it. I'm not talking about ICS am I? I'm talking about the what we see in the movies, which is not 200GT, unless you want to put up some ridiculous argument about "everything" being that powerful.

IT DOESN'T HAVE TO BE IN THE MOVIE TO BE OFFICIAL!
No numerical data is actually needed to understand what a ridiculous idea it is. Think about it, 200GT energy weapon hits ship. All energy from the shot is transferred into the sheilds or the hull of the ship. The idea of shields being able to withstand that much energy is just as absurd, by the way. The affected ship would be totally unable to hold its course and would more likely be blown clear across the galaxy. Sci-fi ships are powerful, but not that powerful. Or have you arbitrarily redefined a gigaton as a very small unit of measurement? Oh, and I take banning as a compliment. Please ban me. It will make me feel so much better.

Are you stupid? There are COUNTLESS SCI-FI SHIPS THAT WOULD LAUGH AT 200 GIGATONS!
Bender and God, Futurama
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Yuri wrote:In the interests of being an asshole, I'm now suggesting that Mon Cal ships have 202GT turbolasers on them. I pulled that number out of my ass, so that must be "proof" that it's real.

That's not proof. But if you got it from an OFFICIAL book like we did, it would be.
Bender and God, Futurama
Kazuaki Shimazaki
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kazuaki Shimazaki »

Actually, you can also prove by using a calculation of either a canon or official event, BUT you'll be never hard pressed to lock the number down to three significant digits for that method...
omegaLancer
Jedi Knight

What a good number for you...

Post by omegaLancer »

It Funny that the final agruement come down to what the Pro trekkies feel comfortable with.. Well what number are you comfortable, 20MT, 200MT maybe 2 Gigatons, and will you have Fries with that Turbolaser blast?...

:wink: That what there agruement is base on feelings, When original Turbolaser computation due to Hoth Meteor scene, they could not even agree figure that came out of that, so not even printed word is not good enought.. Maybe they can all go in to a trance and Channel a Figure for us from the Ghost of Star Trek past :idea:
foxinabox
Youngling

Re: Power of Star Wars weapons, a tad bit exagerated

Post by foxinabox »

Praeothmin wrote:All I see, everywhere I look, are warsies happily spouting that Heavy turbolasers are in the gigaton range, and that they are sooo powerful.

But when I watch the movies, I don't see that kind of firepower.
Except for the asteroid scene in EMP, no Imperial has ever demonstrated that level of firepower.

In AotC, the Acclamators are on Geonosis, Firing at the Trade Federation, and all we see when weapons miss is a small puff of sand bleing blown up.

It's the same in ESB, when the Imperial Walkers (AT-AT) fire at the rebels, even with their chin mounted cannons, they make small holes in the ground at the rebels feet.

Blasters make small holes in Stormtrooper armor, and in the walls on Cloud city on Bespin.

Heavy firepower indeed...

And can anyone tell me how a Gigaton level shield (Capital ships light Nebulon-B Medical Frigates, which can resist at least one or two Heavy ISD Turbolaser hit) can be threathened by less than a hundred (In fact, in RotJ, we saw less then a dozen, but lets be fair and say the empire charged with a hundred) Kiloton scale weapons (Tie fighter cannons)?

If you wish to base your power estimates on one incident (in canon SW, that is, the movies), then I will do the same for ST.
In DS9, in the Episode "The Die Is Cast", a fleet of only 10 Romulan Warbirds and 10 Keldon Cardassian ships (Galaxy-class equivalent) attacked a planet.
The Dialogue stated that the crust would be destroyed in less than an hour, and the mantle in less than five.
They effectively destroyed 30% of the crust in the initial volley.
I'm pretty sure their weapons were in the Gigaton range too.

And, although Mr Wong's site is well made, and very interesting to read, and although his scientific knowledge cannot be faulted (at least not by me), I find it interesting that his real-world, modern science arguments, although very pertinent and clear and the ST debunking segment, is sadly not present in his SW side of the site.

We never read how SW science violates any modern principle, or any modern scientific law.

Mr Wong talks about Phaser particles (Nadions = invented) as if he has a hard time believing they could exist, reminding us they aren't real, but foregoes any doubting comments on Tibanna gas, the energy absorbing gas that gives Turbolasers and Blasters their power.

Because, Tibanna gas has an energy absorption of 59% naturally, and 78% once refined, although no gas in real life (as far as my research goes) can absord energy more than 23 or 25%.
Yet mR Wong doesn't critisize it.

Same goes for Warp travel.
Mr Wong says that "If you're willing to believe that Warp travel can exist", or words to that extent (in his comparative trends, more specifically in Warp vs. Hyperspace), yet he willingly accepts Hyperspace and Hypermatter.
What scinetific law states that in Hyperspace, it is normal to encounter "Shadow Mass"?
How can an object in "Realspace" project a Hyperspace "Shadow"?

By the way, any asshole out there thinking of taking this thread as proof that Mr Wong doesn't know anything, Fuck Off.
Mr Wong's scinetific knowledge and expertise are not in question in any way, just his unbiasness vis-a-vis SW and ST.
Waiting for heated responses...now!
I'd just give up and try to go somewhere else. These guys don't take kindly to people who don't agree with them.
The truth is out there but so are lies.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

foxinabox wrote:I'd just give up and try to go somewhere else. These guys don't take kindly to people who don't agree with them.
That's not true. TheDarkling disagrees all the time, and he's still here.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Darkling, Romulan Nemesis, Omega-13 our list of Pro-Treky intellgent debators is most short indeed

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Well this is the literal hornets nest after all, only men of steel can survive here :wink: .
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

foxinabox wrote:
I'd just give up and try to go somewhere else. These guys don't take kindly to people who don't agree with them.

We don't take kindly to morons.
Bender and God, Futurama
The Yosemite Bear
Mostly Harmless Nutcase (Requiescat in Pace)

Post by The Yosemite Bear »

Although nutcases like my self are tolerated.

The scariest folk song lyrics are "My Boy Grew up to be just like me" from cats in the cradle by Harry Chapin
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Post by Eleas »

foxinabox wrote:I'd just give up and try to go somewhere else. These guys don't take kindly to people who don't agree with them.
"Shhh, don't look! It's the Evil Warsie Conspiracy! And they're really, really mean..."
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
BioDroid
Youngling

Post by BioDroid »

All I see, everywhere I look, are warsies happily spouting that Heavy turbolasers are in the gigaton range, and that they are sooo powerful.

Except for the asteroid scene in EMP, no Imperial has ever demonstrated that level of firepower.

In AotC, the Acclamators are on Geonosis, Firing at the Trade Federation, and all we see when weapons miss is a small puff of sand bleing blown up.
I'm sorry, I must have missed something...when did the Acclimators fire?

It's the same in ESB, when the Imperial Walkers (AT-AT) fire at the rebels, even with their chin mounted cannons, they make small holes in the ground at the rebels feet.
Is this moron really trying to say that an AT-AT chin mounted cannon is a heavy turbolaser? Hey, DUNCE! here's a clue... Weapons come in varying sizes and ranges of firepower. A Heavy Turbolaser is a capital ship weapon and an AT-AT cannon is an anti-armor/anti infantry weapon. Just like the main gun on the New Jersey isn't of the equivalent firepower as an M60 tank shell.
Blasters make small holes in Stormtrooper armor, and in the walls on Cloud city on Bespin.
And M-16s make small holes in people. Comparing hand weapons to ship mounted weapons is the absolute HEIGHT of idiocy. Need I really explain why?
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

BioDroid wrote:
All I see, everywhere I look, are warsies happily spouting that Heavy turbolasers are in the gigaton range, and that they are sooo powerful.

I think this moronic fuckhead thinks that the Republic Gunships were Acclamators.
Bender and God, Futurama
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote:I think this moronic fuckhead thinks that the Republic Gunships were Acclamators.
If that was the case, then yes: 200 GT is too high for the "Acclamators". :wink:
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
BioDroid
Youngling

Post by BioDroid »

Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote:
BioDroid wrote:

I think this moronic fuckhead thinks that the Republic Gunships were Acclamators.
I think the moronic fuckhead also confuses the fire-power of cap-ship weapons with the ability of vehicular and personal weapons...
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Mr Bean wrote:Darkling, Romulan Nemesis, Omega-13 our list of Pro-Treky intellgent debators is most short indeed
You left off SCVN.

If you are rational and intellegent, we generally don't have a problem with you. However, if you are ignorant as all gt out, we'll flame you to high hell. And that goes for Wars debators as well.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

BioDroid wrote:I think the moronic fuckhead also confuses the fire-power of cap-ship weapons with the ability of vehicular and personal weapons...
Doesn't DarkStar do that too?
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
noncredible
Padawan Learner

Post by noncredible »

Praeothmin wrote:

The Acclamators never fired moron. Or did you mistake the gunships for Acclamators? Idiot.

And the walkers fired with blaster cannons and laser cannons, not with turbolasers. Turbolasers would be as big as the AT-AT!
"Everything in this room is edible. Even I'm edible. But, that would be called cannibalism. It is looked down upon in most societies."
— Roald Dahl, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

"And, if you should come upon this spot, please do not hurry on. Wait for a time, exactly under the star. Then, if a little man appears who laughs, who has golden hair and who refuses to answer questions, you will know who he is. If this should happen, please comfort me. Send me word that he has come back."
— Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
BLACKSUN2000
Youngling

Post by BLACKSUN2000 »

This new Trektroll TM :mrgreen: is starting to look like this jimmyjones idiot on the Youtube comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFCBwob65Nw

Anyone else notice the similarity?
Even if I go to hell, I will live to the end of this world. And if the world does not come to an end... I will destroy it with my own hands!-Lacan

Yes, we will destroy god. That is our purpose... That is our destiny!-Grahf
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Argghhh, the stupid of that video... anything that references "The Outrageous Okona" has a very special place in hell reserved for it. Granted, though, the power of the Force triumphing is a nice concession. Won't touch the comments because frankly only idiots try and argue through YouTube's comments section.

P.S. Posted: 2002-08-21 08:42pm :roll:
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
DrStrangelove
Youngling

Post by DrStrangelove »

Holy fucking necro, although having debated Praeothmin on another site it's funny to see his broken record hasn't changed in 8 years or so
I'm not interested in preserving the status quo; I want to overthrow it. ~ Niccolo Machiavelli
You don't know the power of the dark side~ Darth Vader
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

You expected that it would? Some walls of ignorance just aren't going to come down.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.