Power of Star Wars weapons, a tad bit exagerated

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

ROTFLMAO! Sorry, everyone, I just got back from vacation and I read the opening post for this thread. This guy is so stupid it's unbelievable.

1. "Except for ESB," he is admitting that there is canon evidence to support the firepowers in ICS.

2. AT-AT weapons are certainly not HTLs.

3. When did we see Acclamators opening up with their HTLs? When did we see them missing? Is he seriously confused about what an Acclamator is? Is this one so much of an idiot that he does not realize that the Acclamators are slightly bigger than those little drop-ships in AotC, or did he think that their little starfighter-scale, helicopter-analogue atmospheric craft were Acclamators?

4. Does he even realize that stormtroopers do not carry HTLs? Or how strong stormtrooper armor actually is?

5. He does not appear to recognize that starfighters can threaten picket ships given enough time and numbers, or that he is an idiot for not seeing that weapons fire can have a cumulative effect on ships if more than one shot is fired?

6. We already talked about TDiC on another thread. We SLAUGHTERED the trekkies on that thread. If he wants to talk about TDiC, he must first realize that dialogue must be rationalized before it can be used as evidence. And, BTW, the operation in TDiC was done by twenty ships, and was of more limited scale than a BDZ performed by ONE ISD.

7. Wong believes in suspension of disbelief. The effects of blasters have been observed and quantified. I find it laughable that this moron is now saying that blasters could not work because we know that their mechanism is wrong, when they have repeatedly been observed working properly.

8. At least he realized that he would come under attack for this moronic excuse of a post. That seems his only redeeming quality.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

3. When did we see Acclamators opening up with their HTLs? When did we see them missing? Is he seriously confused about what an Acclamator is? Is this one so much of an idiot that he does not realize that the Acclamators are slightly bigger than those little drop-ships in AotC, or did he think that their little starfighter-scale, helicopter-analogue atmospheric craft were Acclamators?
But of course! Now it makes sense! He mistook the Gunships for the Acclamators! GAWD he's stupid!
Supermod
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Aren't the Acclamators the VSD looking things the clones were boarding as the Imperial March played at the end?
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Yes
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Darth Yoshi wrote:Aren't the Acclamators the VSD looking things the clones were boarding as the Imperial March played at the end?
Yes they are, but I think he thought that the gunships we saw shooting up battle droids were Acclamators. That would explain why he thought that they chucked dirt up when they missed. This guy is seriously better than User099. His arguments are some of the funniest, stupidest ones I've ever read. This guy is AWESOME!
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

Actually, according to string theory, the added dimensions, 6 total, are described as being 'curled up' and about the size of the Planck lenght (~1E-43 meters).
Well, some version of String Theory, anyways. I'm not sure what a Planck length is, but hyperspace could be a "shrunken" dimensional version of the universe.
consequences
Homicidal Maniac

Post by consequences »

Did this guy just skip all of the previous debates on this subject or what?
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Re: Power of Star Wars weapons, a tad bit exagerated

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Praeothmin wrote:All I see, everywhere I look, are warsies happily spouting that Heavy turbolasers are in the gigaton range, and that they are sooo powerful.
Episode II: Incredible Cross-Sections -- Completely official. Suck it.
Praeothmin wrote: But when I watch the movies, I don't see that kind of firepower.
Except for the asteroid scene in EMP, no Imperial has ever demonstrated that level of firepower.

In AotC, the Acclamators are on Geonosis, Firing at the Trade Federation, and all we see when weapons miss is a small puff of sand bleing blown up.
Never saw an Acclamator fire. What we saw are the Republic's landing craft firing. A 200 GT hit would leave a 10 mile wide crater. The arena, the manufacturing plant, the TradeFed ships, would be molten impact ejecta. No way you could rescue any Jedi survivors then!
Praeothmin wrote: It's the same in ESB, when the Imperial Walkers (AT-AT) fire at the rebels, even with their chin mounted cannons, they make small holes in the ground at the rebels feet.
Hits from AT-ATs blew up the Rebel shield generator. And when firing at infantry, it's a trememdous waste of firepower to use say the 105 mm main gun on a tank rather than the 50 cal. machine-gun mounted on the cupola.
Praeothmin wrote: Blasters make small holes in Stormtrooper armor, and in the walls on Cloud city on Bespin.
Did you sleep through ANH? Did you miss the big holes gouged from the walls by Han's little hand-pistol?
Praeothmin wrote: And can anyone tell me how a Gigaton level shield (Capital ships light Nebulon-B Medical Frigates, which can resist at least one or two Heavy ISD Turbolaser hit) can be threathened by less than a hundred (In fact, in RotJ, we saw less then a dozen, but lets be fair and say the empire charged with a hundred) Kiloton scale weapons (Tie fighter cannons)?
I think we've ass-raped you enough on this point.
Praeothmin wrote: If you wish to base your power estimates on one incident (in canon SW, that is, the movies), then I will do the same for ST.
In DS9, in the Episode "The Die Is Cast", a fleet of only 10 Romulan Warbirds and 10 Keldon Cardassian ships (Galaxy-class equivalent) attacked a planet.
Nitpick mode . . . Graham Kennedy, the ultimate Trekkie masturbator doesn't place the Keldon anywhere near the Galaxy in terms of firepower. In fact, the Keldon seems to be rather inferior to the Galor.
Praeothmin wrote: The Dialogue stated that the crust would be destroyed in less than an hour, and the mantle in less than five.
They effectively destroyed 30% of the crust in the initial volley.
I'm pretty sure their weapons were in the Gigaton range too.
Hmmm, and I think you've been thoroughly ass-raped here too.
Praeothmin wrote: We never read how SW science violates any modern principle, or any modern scientific law.

Mr Wong talks about Phaser particles (Nadions = invented) as if he has a hard time believing they could exist, reminding us they aren't real, but foregoes any doubting comments on Tibanna gas, the energy absorbing gas that gives Turbolasers and Blasters their power.
Blasters are much, much more likely than phasers. With enough time, money, and materials, you could build a blaster right now. Granted, you'd have to hump one of those big capacitors used by the power company, the whole thing would be as big as a bazooka, weigh 100 pounds, and the blaster bolt wouldn't travel any farther than 10 yards, but it can be done. We, being actual humans, could probably have Star Wars style personal blasters in 300-500 years. Would we ever be able to build a phaser? Hell no. The underlying principles of a blaster are sound engineering. The underlying principles of a phaser are the cum stains of Trek writers.

And you've been raped with a jackhammer on Warp and Hyperspace as well. Here's a chair stuffed with ice. You probably need it.
Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi
What Kind of Username is That?

Post by Asst. Asst. Lt. Cmdr. Smi »

Do you know where the 40m length for the MF came from? In order to get the forward hold centered like it is in the movies, it has to have a length of >35 meters. The exterior can not fit the interior seen in the movies. Who are you anyway? User099's Mini-Me?
BotM: Just another monkey|HAB
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Amusing, to say the least

Post by Patrick Degan »

The most amusing statement of Mr. Praeothmin's opening post has to be this one:

Except for the asteroid scene in EMP, no Imperial has ever demonstrated that level of firepower.

This is akin to arguing that, because we have seen atomic weapons destroy only two cities in history, no other nuclear weapon has demonstrated the ability to destroy any other city were it to be used. Simply because two bombs worked, that is no reason to assume that any other bombs will work. Death Star I blasted Alderaan apart in a tenth of a second, but that is no reason to assume that it could have blasted the moon Yavin-D apart as well. Stardestroyer weapons could vapourise asteroids only on the ships which were cruising in the Hoth system's asteroid field and nowhere/nowhen else.

Amusing, to say the least...
Doomriser
Padawan Learner

Post by Doomriser »

LOL! I pegged this guy for 2-3 of Wong's "Trekkie Templates"

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Misc/Templates.html

We really need to make this more public, to educate Trekkies beforehand.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

I know. A sticky with a link to the Templates page. Possibly in the same thread as the defeated topics thread suggested.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Secularism—since AD 80
Yuri
Village Idiot

Post by Yuri »

200 GT Turbolasers are bullshit. By Wong's own argument, they can't really be that powerful. In Wong's unintelligent and unecissarily harsh criticization of Star Trek Insurrection, he claimed that the part where the Enterprise used the gas from the nebula to destroy the Son'a ships was impossible because no gas could possibly be volitile enough to produce an explosion of that power. Um hello... this is the same argument I used against turbolasers firing a beam through Tibanna gas and magically ending up with 200 GT per shot. That's impossible. Come up with a reasonable number and let me know when you do.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Yuri wrote:200 GT Turbolasers are bullshit. By Wong's own argument, they can't really be that powerful. In Wong's unintelligent and unecissarily harsh criticization of Star Trek Insurrection, he claimed that the part where the Enterprise used the gas from the nebula to destroy the Son'a ships was impossible because no gas could possibly be volitile enough to produce an explosion of that power. Um hello... this is the same argument I used against turbolasers firing a beam through Tibanna gas and magically ending up with 200 GT per shot. That's impossible. Come up with a reasonable number and let me know when you do.
Hey look, another trektard who doesn't understand jack shit of what's being discussed, let alone thinking we truly know all the components of a turbolaser. Fuck off, Trekkie. Or at least learn how to be coherent.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Yuri
Village Idiot

Post by Yuri »

Hey look, another trektard who doesn't understand jack shit of what's being discussed, let alone thinking we truly know all the components of a turbolaser. Fuck off, Trekkie. Or at least learn how to be coherent.
Oh, so aside from your half-ass and pathetic attempt to flame me, you're saying it is magic, yes?
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Yuri wrote:
Oh, so aside from your half-ass and pathetic attempt to flame me, you're saying it is magic, yes?
No, I'm saying it's not fully understood. It might be plasma, but plasma does not have an invisible portion of itself which travels at lightspeed. Nor does plasma behave as if it was massless. Also note(Because you're a fucking dumbass, and don't realize these thing on your own), that chemical explosions are not plasma. Otherwise the surface of the sun couldn't be as hot as it is.

But you're a moron, and understand none of this, and won't concede any argument.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Actually, he's saying that we don't know how TLs use the tibanna gas to get 200GT shots, thus you can't refute it.
Secularism—since AD 80
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Darth Yoshi wrote:Actually, he's saying that we don't know how TLs use the tibanna gas to get 200GT shots, thus you can't refute it.
He's trying to shift burden of proof. He must first prove that SW ships do not have 200GT turbolasers.

Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Given that ICS states that an Acclimator has 200gt turbolasers ,and thats measuring the impact energy of the shot, and that said statement isnt contradictory to whats been shown onscreen,IE Hoth asteroid field,it can be taken as fact now then as to HOW they do it Arthur C Clarke did state it best "any sufficienmtly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

Naw, Yuri's just uninformed. In the Emperor Tiberius I vs. Thrawn thread, he started quoting The Outrageous Okana and other such stereotypical comments as proof that an ISD couldn't harm a Federation ship. Next is attacking the 200 GT figures. Now he's only 4 months behind the rest of the Trek community. ;)
LMSx
Jedi Knight

Post by LMSx »

Naw, Yuri's just uninformed. In the Emperor Tiberius I vs. Thrawn thread, he started quoting The Outrageous Okana and other such stereotypical comments as proof that an ISD couldn't harm a Federation ship. Next is attacking the 200 GT figures. Now he's only 4 months behind the rest of the Trek community. ;)
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Ahh this old Threat

Sure its fine to say the Phase Cloacks or Subspace Transporters are super uber weapons but then there is little Cannon Information on them(No Hard Numbers)

But when a Cannon Source Says 200GT its 200GT unless Contradicted by the Movies(The Highest of Cannon) which its not
Possible idiot arugments in Advance

ANH
All Space Fighting in ANH was either trying to take Prisoners or VS Small Fighters and if you notice where thirty or So Fighters fly in, and Four return...
And only a few Die to Ties the rest had to be killed by somthing

TESB
Trying to Take Prisoners through-out this movie and Cannon EU tells us alot of Transports where shot down by ISDs the One the Ion Cannon managed to knock out for abit was back fighting later that day

ROTJ
Up untill the last part of the Movie no real Space Battling but when they get to Endor boy howdoy do they wip out those Big Guns, You can even see them when they strike Shield Surfaces when Luke watchs from the Emperors obsevration Room, they sure as heck where not ships blowing up considering the number we see and the amount of ships Present(17 or so for the Rebels and a sharp 30 for the Empire(They could have brough more but they just needed enough to make sure they would not escape, Also if you saw a Half-done DS and a 20 to 1 Enemy advanatage would you not say screw it and run like a little boy screaming in the other direction?)

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Personally I would have brought a few 100 ships to the battle and a couple of interdictors so the rebels had no hope of escape but then im not a decaying old mad man.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

TheDarkling wrote:and a couple of interdictors so the rebels had no hope of escape .
According to the Essential Chronology, Interdictors were present.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Personally I would have brought a few 100 ships to the battle and a couple of interdictors so the rebels had no hope of escape but then im not a decaying old mad man.
You don't know where they are coming from? What if they send Scouts ahead (like two minutes) and if there are not twenty Interducters and two hundred ISDs waiting then you jump in?

What if they came out right next to the DS then you might hit your own ships?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton