See DarkStar get his asteroid calculations kicked.

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

See DarkStar get his asteroid calculations kicked.

Post by Master of Ossus »

Okay, people, Darkling told me to go after DarkStar, and since I cannot imagine that he is any good at a debate (based on past incidents) I decided that I would go after this one page. I think that it is pretty representative of his site. I actually consider it to be one of his strongest pages. It is fairly honest and straight forward. Unlike some of his other pages, this one can be chalked up to a mistake, instead of stupidity or incompetence or dishonesty. But let's go. The page can be found here:

http://ocean.otr.usm.edu/~randers2/STSWrise.html

Basically, what DarkStar says is that in the VOY episode "Rise," Voyager targets an asteroid with a torpedo. The shot does very little damage to the asteroid, but everyone is surprised that it does not do vastly more. Chakotay is surprised that the asteroid is not vaporized, but Harry Kim says that they should not be seeing any fragments larger than a centimeter. Basically, DarkStar then goes through it and does some scaling with the torpedo that actually hit the asteroid and then moves on to determine limits based on the asteroids size. He tries to find out how much energy it would take to vaporize that asteroid (he says that he is generous, in that he leaves out some factors to account for Harry Kim's comment, but watch). His figures come up with about 150 MT (remember that he does not accept any "EU crap," like ICS, so he says that that's far in excess of SW weapons), give or take, as the lower realistic limit for Voyager's firepower. He can say that I am misrepresenting him, but I am confident that I have put together the general gist of what he did. If anyone wants to check, you can see everything he did at the link that I provided.

Now, DarkStar says a couple of interesting things about the asteroid. First off, he admits that it is a bit darker than would be expected. The quote is here:
The extremely dark and mottled coloring of the asteroid is a bit odd, but not unreasonably so. From what we know of the asteroid, it should fall within the parameters of an M-type . . . S-type if the olivine was common throughout....
I found this a bit strange, as he repeatedly told us that an asteroid's composition cannot be determined from video footage of ESB (he said that its behavior, texture, and color cannot be judged from the video, IIRC). But in any case, I'll give him that because he also had a quote that said that the asteroid was simple iron-nickel.

Now, he also takes a look at his asteroid the way "Rabid Warsies" look at the asteroids in ESB. That is kind of odd, from my perspective, because I would have thought that the asteroids would appear to be different. This is also fairly consistent with the way he does business. Remember how he acted in "Wong Collisions Calcs," when he repeatedly asserted that because Wong made a mis-estimation of a Jem Hadar ship, he could use that to his advantage (Wong didn't actually give a damn about how big the thing was, because it was totally irrelevent to his calcs. DS used it because it was incredibly generous and because his calcs were based off Volume and Density). I'll give him that as well, though, because it won't matter once I'm through here.

Finally, (and this is what a lot of people picked up on) DarkStar says that that is far greater than SW firepower and references some "maximum" figures from a few SW sites. They all have slightly different estimates based on the same incident, but the range is 250 to about 2900 terajoules. Those are LTL's, but seeing as how EVERYONE knows he isn't going to allow for the possibility of higher power TL's based on EU evidence (or whatever else), so I will grudgingly give him that point, as well.

Here's the problem. Chakotay and Torres gather up the fragments of the asteroid (in an effort to learn why it wasn't destroyed more fully) and get a fragment that I would describe as being about the size of a beach-ball. You can see a picture of it on DumbShit's site, if you want, and scale it roughly with the hands that are holding it in the picture there. Now, Chakotay cracks the thing open with a pick, or, as DarkStar describes it:
Torres: "I've completed the mineralogical scans. The rock is composed of trioxine, olivine, . . . waitaminute. I'm reading a concentration of triatium."
Ambassador: "Triatium? Isn't that an alloy?"
Torres: "Yes."
Chakotay: "B'Elanna, give me a hand with this."
(Chakotay has used a pick to crack the outer layer. He and Torres now pull the two pieces apart, revealing the rock's technology-innards.)
Torres: "This doesn't look like any asteroid I've ever seen, but I'll bet it's the source of our triatium."
Now we can see the problem with the whole thing. If Chakotay was able to crack a beachball sized hunk of the thing open with a pick, how is it possible that Voyager did so little damage to it if Voyager's weapons were anywhere near what DarkStar is claiming? Note that the crack through the asteroid is evidently not the result of repeated chiselling, or any kind of cutting laser (or similar). If it was a cutting laser, we would have expected the asteroid's edges to be smooth, with a single cut going straight through the rock. If it was from repeated chiselling, we would see evidence of that (tool marks, rock shavings, etc.). Instead we see evidence of a fairly clean fracture, like the ones that most kids would get from cracking open a golf ball sized geode with a hammer. It was likely the result of only a few, strong blows, if that. This represents an EXTRAORDINARILY low strength for the rock.

So how can Voyager have done so little damage to rock that was that fragile if it had the firepower that DarkStar was claiming? The answer is, of course, that it is impossible. Voyager's torpedoes are likely reasonably powerful, but this incident shows a pathetically weak firepower for what is probably Voyager's most powerful weapon. DarkStar, in this case, was mistaken.

Not that I find that surprising.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

I hate to be the bearer of bad news MoO but we could said chunk of asteroid could have been structurally weakened by the blast to where a chisel could crak it open,remeber that chunk was exposed to high tempratures and large amounts of energy.
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Typhonis 1 wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad news MoO but we could said chunk of asteroid could have been structurally weakened by the blast to where a chisel could crak it open,remeber that chunk was exposed to high tempratures and large amounts of energy.
Oh come now. That is a terrible argument. And it does not explain the sheer weakness of the asteroid. Remember that the asteroid is made stronger by a metal alloy within it. Metal alloys do not suddenly lose strength when subjected to heat that is too low to melt them, or when subjected to one time stress factors like the torpedo impact. Note also that the asteroid is more or less hollow, so the thing could not have melted partially, along the way.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Actually what is surprsing is that they had anything left to collect you would think that the remains would be scattering out in a globe with the same momentum as imparted by the explosion yes the heavier pieces would be going slower but still they wouldnt be hanging around .and concession accepted :lol: when I`m sleepy and tired I must think like Darkstar.
Black Mage,

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Typhonis 1 wrote: .and concession accepted
Concession accepted with regards to what?

Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist

Post by Typhonis 1 »

I mean I surender the point to you MoM my mistake .
Black Mage,

Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Typhonis 1 wrote:I mean I surender the point to you MoM my mistake .
Somebody get the tranquilizer gun.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Sorry I meant MoO and Crazy 9000 I have Borg style KE shields yes I do*dart hits him*But but the worked in ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Black Mage,

TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Two points (im not going to debate this Im going to see his response) first his absolute low end is 44 MT his reasonable low end is 100 MT and his warsies low end was 150 MT.

Just clearing that up.

Secondly how would you reconcile the facts?
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

one point:

The ROTJ bolt intensity scaling provies canon evidence proving HTLS and their power, which is about 125x that of LTLs (based on intensity, spmethng we see is directly coonected to power in ESB when Veers fires on the reactor)
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Ender: Going off the calcs that were posted that still wouldnt put HTL's into the gigaton range and since thats canon well I guess it over rules the ICS - what a shame :twisted: .

Yes the above was meant as a joke but mainly because I would never try to backup such a line of reasoning, to do that it would take someone made of flame retardant flesh and an iron will plus a natural stuborness of at least 12 mules (so Darkstar you up for the task :) if true then you really should include it on your site since you dont have any HTL references).

PS: Ender do you disgree with the ICS then or subscribe to one of the power lessening theories on it (range depletion since I cant believe anyone buys the laser does the damage argument).
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

TheDarkling wrote:Ender: Going off the calcs that were posted that still wouldnt put HTL's into the gigaton range and since thats canon well I guess it over rules the ICS - what a shame :twisted: .
Actually, using the 125x rule people have gotten TT HTLs before. They were just always ignored as it was deemed "too big".

Yes the above was meant as a joke but mainly because I would never try to backup such a line of reasoning, to do that it would take someone made of flame retardant flesh and an iron will plus a natural stuborness of at least 12 mules (so Darkstar you up for the task :) if true then you really should include it on your site since you dont have any HTL references).
I provided it for precisely that reason. Of course, from DarkStars's POV, since it doesn't weaken SW what is the point?
PS: Ender do you disgree with the ICS then or subscribe to one of the power lessening theories on it (range depletion since I cant believe anyone buys the laser does the damage argument).
I do not disagree with the ICS outside the fact that I find it difficult to believe that the HTLs on a Carrack are going to be as powerful as those on a SD. But that is more of an interpretation issue then anything else. I use the canon based scaling of a MTL and a HTL being 4x and 125x stronger (respectively) in my own ICS based scaling. It is much more accurate then WEG based stuff.

The only area I really have problems with is the way WOTC responded to ICS by retroactiveky adding PD cannons to ships and by declaring normal, not PD laser cannons to be PD,
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Ender wrote:
TheDarkling wrote:Ender: Going off the calcs that were posted that still wouldnt put HTL's into the gigaton range and since thats canon well I guess it over rules the ICS - what a shame :twisted: .
Actually, using the 125x rule people have gotten TT HTLs before. They were just always ignored as it was deemed "too big"
I guess that depends on your calcs for LTLs thats why I stated the ones Darkstar cited because even if he used that rule to up the power it still wouldnt be very powerfull.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

TheDarkling wrote:Two points (im not going to debate this Im going to see his response) first his absolute low end is 44 MT his reasonable low end is 100 MT and his warsies low end was 150 MT.

Just clearing that up.

Secondly how would you reconcile the facts?
Yes, those are his low end figures (44 MT), but he concludes the page with this:
100 megatons (420,000 terajoules) would appear to be an extreme but fair low-end figure for this scene's photon torpedo yield. It can't really be any lower, and is much more likely to be higher.
To say that his low end is 100 MT would be reasonably fair, and he seems to promote the interpretation that the incident shows evidence of 150 MT torpedoes. You are correct, however, he did mention 44 MT once.

I have no idea how to reconcile everything here. I really don't see how they can possibly be explained away. My initial reaction was to think that the torpedo was a dud, but there was definitely an explosion when it hit the asteroid, and M/AM weapons really CAN'T be duds when they hit something like that. Plus, Voyager should have been able to detect it if their torpedo had failed to detonate. If anybody can come up with any reconciliation of everything, please post it, as I think I'm stumped.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I have one

Half Lifes

Do ST Torp weapons degrade over time? As I remeber this was resonably far into the series plus it had already been on patrol. Meaning prehaps if that AM decays over time they just used an old torp

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Rise was the 60th Episode of Voyager. It was about two thirds of the way through their third season, and no stardate was given.

TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Mr Bean: Dont you think they would have accounted for that (they must also build new torps at some point since they use 3 times the amount they had I believe).
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

TheDarkling wrote:Mr Bean: Dont you think they would have accounted for that (they must also build new torps at some point since they use 3 times the amount they had I believe).
Let's see. This is the group which had one Tri-Cobalt device, and used it the first instant they could. Who keep spelling their own doom. Who give the Borg a way to fight the one thing that could take them down.

Yes, I don't think they would have accounted for that.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

SirNitram: They had to use the device then didnt they?

Anywayall thta explanation does is keep Darkstars calcs intact yet explain the rock (Im not sure I agree I will have to investigate further) breaking.

Hmm seems Darkstars calcs stand (Bad Bean Bad) :twisted: .

Now to apply this to the peagus calcs...... (evil cackling is heard as TheDarkling returns to his lab).
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

TheDarkling wrote:SirNitram: They had to use the device then didnt they?

Anywayall thta explanation does is keep Darkstars calcs intact yet explain the rock (Im not sure I agree I will have to investigate further) breaking.

Hmm seems Darkstars calcs stand (Bad Bean Bad) :twisted: .

Now to apply this to the peagus calcs...... (evil cackling is heard as TheDarkling returns to his lab).
Hey kid, enjoy it while it lasts. I'll apply this to the Naboo Transport shield rating later and shatter your hopes all over the floor.

I am a such a cad.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

TheDarkling wrote: Hmm seems Darkstars calcs stand (Bad Bean Bad) :twisted:
What? The fact that Chakotay was able to crack that rock open with a chisel indicates a phenomenally low strength stone. The fact that Voyager's torpedo did jack to that rock indicates that Voyager's firepower is weak as a kitten's.

DarkStar
Village Idiot

Re: See DarkStar get his asteroid calculations kicked.

Post by DarkStar »

Master of Ossus wrote:He can say that I am misrepresenting him, but I am confident that I have put together the general gist of what he did.
Ossus, if I have found it necessary to tell you multiple times to go back and re-read something when you have blatantly misread or horrendously misinterpreted it, would it not stand to reason that your confidence is misplaced?

Example 1:
I found this a bit strange, as he repeatedly told us that an asteroid's composition cannot be determined from video footage of ESB
No, I have said that Warsies are incapable of deciding one way or the other what an asteroid's composition should be. Some have declared that the asteroids were reddish, and therefore high in iron. Some have declared that they are gray, and therefore high in iron. Some have said that they are dark, and therefore high in iron. Some have said that they are bright, and therefore high in iron.

That does not mean I am suggesting that the composition of any asteroid cannot be determined through visual means. It simply means that I want you guys to find an argument and stick with it.
Now, he also takes a look at his asteroid the way "Rabid Warsies" look at the asteroids in ESB.
Which, as stated in the text, is for the purposes of getting a higher-end limit, since I had already found an absolute lower limit. As also stated, it requires a bumping up of the density from a common 3,000 kg/m^3 to an uncommon 7,000 kg/m^3, and a 30% increase in the iron percentage of the asteroid (which, due to the increase in density, gives a total iron mass increase of around 350%).
Finally, (and this is what a lot of people picked up on) DarkStar says that that is far greater than SW firepower and references some "maximum" figures from a few SW sites. They all have slightly different estimates based on the same incident, but the range is 250 to about 2900 terajoules. Those are LTL's, but seeing as how EVERYONE knows he isn't going to allow for the possibility of higher power TL's based on EU evidence (or whatever else), so I will grudgingly give him that point, as well.
As stated, those are the highest canon estimates of observed Star Destroyer firepower.
Now we can see the problem with the whole thing. If Chakotay was able to crack a beachball sized hunk of the thing open with a pick, how is it possible that Voyager did so little damage to it if Voyager's weapons were anywhere near what DarkStar is claiming?
:lol: :lol:

Ossus, Ossus, Ossus.

Olivine and the unknown trioxine are referred to as being constituents of the fragment that Voyager had beamed aboard. We don't know jack about trioxine, but let's look at olivine, and some basic ideas about what you could expect in general:

Mineralogical cleavage and fracture explained:
http://www.ge-at.iastate.edu/courses/Ge ... avage.html

Olivine is referred to as having good mineralogical cleavage, and brittle fracture into conchoidal fragments (fragments with curved surfaces . . . glass does this, too):
http://www.webmineral.com/data/Olivine.shtml

Cleavage descriptions:
http://www.webmineral.com/help/Cleavage.shtml
Fracture descriptions:
http://www.webmineral.com/help/Fracture.shtml

The entire point of the episode is that they expected to vaporize an iron-nickel asteroid of 390 x 210 x 210 meters. I, for one, find it odd that olivine was one of the primary constituents of the fragment they beamed aboard (olivine has more magnesium and silicon then it does iron), but perhaps they were beaming aboard some of the oddball pieces.

In any case, being able to crack something open with a pick is a far cry from being able to vaporize a large amount of it with a photon torpedo.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

So explain to me why the torpedo did not fracture the asteroid more completely. Explain to me how a 100MT torpedo does not fracture something like that if a pick is more than sufficient to. Explain to me why a metal alloy that is capable of holding the asteroid together when it would ordinarily be vaporized is incapable of holding the asteroid together when it is hit by a chisel.

I know that you stated all of that information in the text of your website and I gave you all of those points. I also know why you chose those calculations for the firepower of an ISD. I completely disagree with your reasoning, but I also gave you that point.

TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Master of Ossus wrote:
TheDarkling wrote: Hmm seems Darkstars calcs stand (Bad Bean Bad) :twisted:
What? The fact that Chakotay was able to crack that rock open with a chisel indicates a phenomenally low strength stone. The fact that Voyager's torpedo did jack to that rock indicates that Voyager's firepower is weak as a kitten's.
They expected to destroy the asteriod thats where the fire power calcs come form so his ability to smash an asteriod than was different than what they thought it was has no real bearing if the weakness was due to lower powe rthan expected.

However I think Darkstar may have put forth a better explanation of the incident - I will take a look at his links now I guess.
Robert Walper
Dishonest Resident Borg Fan-Whore

Post by Robert Walper »

Master of Ossus wrote:So explain to me why the torpedo did not fracture the asteroid more completely. Explain to me how a 100MT torpedo does not fracture something like that if a pick is more than sufficient to. Explain to me why a metal alloy that is capable of holding the asteroid together when it would ordinarily be vaporized is incapable of holding the asteroid together when it is hit by a chisel.

I know that you stated all of that information in the text of your website and I gave you all of those points. I also know why you chose those calculations for the firepower of an ISD. I completely disagree with your reasoning, but I also gave you that point.
Master of Osuus, I would like to point out that in one episode of TOS, I believe called "Neutral Zone", the Enterprise takes aboard debris if a target hit by a Romulan plasma torpedo. Spock is able to crush metallic material in his hand like it was cardboard.

To me, this proves there are ST weaponry that affect material strength after being hit by ST weaponry. This is an old incident, and a Romulan plasma torpedo, but Federation torpedoes apparently have advanced and may have similar characterisitics to old Romulan plasma torpedoes.

Just a thought...