Why SW over ST

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Why SW over ST

Post by thecreech »

SW and ST fans can argue all day about who would win in a battle (Cough Starwars Cough) :twisted:.But honestly, i can't see why anyone would really like ST anymore. What is there to like? Can any Trekkie really give me a good reason to watch any of the new series? Im serious, what is there to like anymore? Can anyone explain it?
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Time Travel?
The Anti Gravity Effects of 7 of 9?

Nothing else to do?

They hope for a return to the days of TOS?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

We can hope that maybe, just maybe, B'n'B have just been fucking with us so far, and that someday they're gonna do something that's just brilliant, and we're gonna look at it and say "Holy shit! They're fucking geniuses!" and it will tie all kinds of stuff together and suddenly make Voyager great. Sadly, that will remain just a dream.
「かかっ―」
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

Mr Bean wrote:Time Travel?

Nothing else to do?

Antigravity? But doesn't she attract men? :D
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Grand Admiral Thrawn wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:Time Travel?

Nothing else to do?

Antigravity? But doesn't she attract men? :D
Her boobs man!
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

I like her in Bostin Public more, I'm not into the whole controlative nazi bitch thing.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

well 7 of 9 is the only reason I would watch trek at all these days, but since I can catch her on boston public, what's the point.
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
RedImperator
Roosevelt Republican

Post by RedImperator »

Star Trek desperately needs to be put down for another 20 year nap. It's clearly run out of energy. B&B seem to be recycling the same five plots over and over again, Enterprise is falling right into the old pattern Voyager fell into after 7 of 9 was introduced with most of the "ensemble" cast standing around scratching their asses while Archer, Trip, and the Vulcan with the big tits get all the screen time, and the technobabble has gone from bad to worse to self-pardoy. Nemesis is shaping up to be a mindless action flick, all pretty explosions and empty heads, a pathetic imitation of the great ST action flicks, II and VI.

I don't know whose fault it is that Trek is in the shape that it is. B&B probably deserve most of the blame, but honorable mention must go to the current writing crew. Atrocious writing absolutely destroyed Voyager, almost from the first episode. Forget their scientific ignorance, cracks in black holes and the like. These bozos consitently wrote themselves into a corner, only to use some nonsensical technobabble to climb the wall. How many different times does the Goddamned deflector dish need to be remodulated, five minutes before the end of the episode? Do it once, you look clever. Do it EVERY EPISODE, you just look like an idiot. BASIC WRITING SKILLS here, folks. Trek's writers are clever enough to get their characters into a situation, but not clever enough to get them out.

Star Trek is vapid, pointless, dull, idiotic, a crumbling, fading, lifeless franchise, riding the ghosts of faded glory into oblivion. Let it die. Unless they move Enterprise to HBO and Joline Blaylock gets a weekly nude lesbian makeout scene, I'm not watching anymore.
Any city gets what it admires, will pay for, and, ultimately, deserves…We want and deserve tin-can architecture in a tinhorn culture. And we will probably be judged not by the monuments we build but by those we have destroyed.--Ada Louise Huxtable, "Farewell to Penn Station", New York Times editorial, 30 October 1963
X-Ray Blues
thecreech
Smasher/Devourer
Location: New Mexico... and yes it is a state , Go look at a fucking map of the USA

Post by thecreech »

I guess the only reason is 7 of 9 and i won't even watch it for that
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Re: Why SW over ST

Post by Alyeska »

theheap wrote:SW and ST fans can argue all day about who would win in a battle (Cough Starwars Cough) :twisted:.But honestly, i can't see why anyone would really like ST anymore. What is there to like? Can any Trekkie really give me a good reason to watch any of the new series? Im serious, what is there to like anymore? Can anyone explain it?
Saying Trek is bad because of recent additions would be like calling Wars bad because of bad novels and TPM. I myself have seen little of Voyager and none of Enterprise. I enjoy watching the TOS/TNG movies and TNG/DS9 episode whenever I can find them on TV. Just because some of the new stuff is crap doesn't mean thats all we can watch. A great many trekkies simply continue to watch what was once good. If we could only go by what is new, then that would mean the Warsies would have to abandon the first 3 movies and many of the novels. No, even as time goes by, the older episode, movies, and novels are still there to be watched, enjoyed, and remembered.

There are still plenty of reasons to enjoy Star Trek, just as there are plenty of reasons to enjoy Star Wars (I consider myself a fan of both).
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

They may hate the recent shows/movies but they are still devoted to their feeble ST.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Proud Member of the local 404 Professional Cynics Union.

"Every Revolution carries within it the seeds of its own destruction."-Dune
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Incidentally, didn't Enterprise say that they were gonna get some hot chicks to replace 7? Where are they? Why is everyone on their show so stereotypical and/or unattractive? Why didn't they just go out and invest in some of the girls from almost any other TV show. Then it would at least give them a couple episodes' worth of viewing from me. As it is, I can't even watch ten minutes of their show without shaking my head in disgust.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Mr. B wrote:They may hate the recent shows/movies but they are still devoted to their feeble ST.
Feeble? Because of lack of firepower? That didn't make Space Above and Beyond a bad show. Feeble because YOU don't like it? Then that is opinion, and your opinion about hating the series is useless when this is a thread about people who still ENJOY the series.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

HEy I liked DS9 and TNG. I only consider it feeble compared to SW. Otherwise I liked some of it. And I even watched some Voyager, mostly the episodes involving the Borg.

And I loved TOS. And most of the movies.
"I got so high last night I figured out how clouds work." - the miracle of marijuana

Legalize It!

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Mr. B wrote:HEy I liked DS9 and TNG. I only consider it feeble compared to SW. Otherwise I liked some of it. And I even watched some Voyager, mostly the episodes involving the Borg.

And I loved TOS. And most of the movies.
And what qualified as "feeble"? Firepower? That should not even come into consideration and you should never have mentioned it. This is not a military ST vs SW. This is a thread explaining why Star Trek is still good to watch.

Mr. B
Jedi Knight

Post by Mr. B »

Alyeska wrote:
And what qualified as "feeble"? Firepower? That should not even come into consideration and you should never have mentioned it. This is not a military ST vs SW. This is a thread explaining why Star Trek is still good to watch.
Why are you going farther than you should on this thread. Feeble was just a passing mention of ST. It had nothing to do with how the shows are.

Legalize It!

Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

Well I sure as hell don't know why anyone would watch it anymore.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

Master of Ossus wrote:Incidentally, didn't Enterprise say that they were gonna get some hot chicks to replace 7
Maybe its just me, but I think T'Pol is more attractive than 7 of 9....
Vertigo1
Defender of the Night

Post by Vertigo1 »

Trek was something decent until B&B came along and turned it into one big titty and technobabble fest to appease the immature pre-pubecent 12 year olds.

Gimme TNG & DS9 anyday over that pile of dren known as Voyager and Enterprise. Hell, I'd rather watch Farscape as its actually original and entertaining at the same time. :)
"I once asked Rebecca to sing Happy Birthday to me during sex. That was funny, especially since I timed my thrusts to sync up with the words. And yes, it was my birthday." - Darth Wong

Leader of the SD.Net Gargoyle Clan | Spacebattles Firstone | Twitter
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

I liked TOS. I also liked a good bit of TNG. I liked about half of DS9 (the Dominion War episodes were good, but the "filler" episodes were absolute crap). I liked about 5 episodes of Voyager.

The really painful thing is that, whenever I watch bad Star Trek, I can EASILY figure out, on the spot, how to make it good. That's what really pisses me off.... when someone has an idea that can work REALLY well, but botches it up due to incompetence and/or laziness.
The Great and Malignant
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Voyager and Enterprise suck ass. TOS is of course the best Trek, and the TOS movies were for the most part awesome- the TNG movies suck serious ass- even the even-numbered First Contact (plot holes you could drive a bus through, a pathetic space battle sequence that lasts for several seconds- SECONDS. Finally we get to see the Feds and Borg duke it out and they DONT FUCKING SHOW IT). I did watch TNG, but I haven't watched much DS9. Would like to though.

Alekysa is right however. We warsies aren't much different. The Phantom Menace sucked serious ass. Many of the books are awful; Kevin J Anderson sucking the most ass- I myself only read Timothy Zahn SW novels, nothing else.

Attack of the Clones was much better- but the romance SCREWED up the entire middle of the movie. It did hearken back to the SW of old in a way; but Anakin was like a whiny little bitch and only Obi-Wan saved the middle of the movie from being downright intolerable. The end redeemed the movie partially IMO.

Episode III however is the only episode that really matters IMO- this is what everyone wants to see- it will be pretty hard to screw up, GL has said again and again it will be extremely dark.

- At least two major saber battles, the latter of which will be the best, longest lightsaber battle of all time (Anakin vs Count Dooku and Obi-Wan vs Anakin)
- A big long space battle between the forces of the late Old Republic/ early Empire and the Seperatists- I think this is a certainty; as the prequel trilogy has been space battle free so far; it will most likely take place in the first 40 or so minutes.
- The end of the Jedi Order
- A new Imperial March variation that we will hum for the rest of our lives
- The Episode III ICS, written by Curtis Saxton :)
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

The worst SW books are not KJA books, but Approaching Storm, BFC, and Rogue Planet. I have been over this before.

AotC was the best symbollic movie of all time, with the possible exception of Bladerunner. I have established that. To attack its failings as a straight movie is like attacking Lord of the Flies for its occasional lack of realism in terms of scale. Intelligent book critics simply ignore it, forgiving it these minor faults because the rest of the book is so far beyond nearly every other book that has ever been written. AotC and its cold reception really just prove that movie critics are far stupider than book critics. If a book critic were to fail to see symbolism in LotF, he would be fired. The fact that EVERY movie critic appeared to completely miss the symbolism of AotC indicates that they are all too stupid to be telling me what to spend my money on.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Alekysa is right however. We warsies aren't much different. The Phantom Menace sucked serious ass. Many of the books are awful; Kevin J Anderson sucking the most ass- I myself only read Timothy Zahn SW novels, nothing else.
I dunno. Just as the more rational Trekkies lament the day B&B were born, all but the most insane Warsies will grit their teeth and rend their garments upon reading some of the really bad SW books (like The Crystal Star or Children of the Jedi).
The Great and Malignant
septesix
Padawan Learner

Post by septesix »

I'm no trekkie, but am I the only one who think that Enterprise is actually pretty good to watch? :roll:
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

I'm not going to say anything about Enterprise, as I haven't watched it. Not that I had any objection to it, mind you.... I just don't watch much TV at all these days.
The Great and Malignant