Could the Doomsphere destroy an unmanned ISD?

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

What damage is done?

none
15%
slight shield damage
26%
moderate shield damage
7%
severe shield damage
No votes
shields down, no damage to the ship itself
4%
shields down, slight ship damage
No votes
shields down, moderate ship damage
4%
shields down, ship unsalvageable or destroyed
44%

Total votes: 27

SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Metrion Cascade wrote:
SirNitram wrote:
Metrion Cascade wrote: M/AM reactors may as well be bombs if you hit them badly enough that they lose containment.
Lack of evidence that the planet contained sufficient AM for this reaction noted.
Things don't have to be canon to make logical deductions. Nor do we know the planet's size (assuming anyone actually called it a planet onscreen rather than a moon). It could easily have been the size of Io or Pluto. We know the planet blew up. That is evidence of *something* that could cause an explosion. Antimatter is routinely used by many Trek powers and requires no further explanation. Chain reactions do. Wanna talk parsimony again?
Yea. Parsimony. Unobserved Unknowns like planets full of AM without proof. That you do not understand what Parsimony means does not impact my argument, Metrion.
And (psst)...guess what? It drops S8472 power calcs on their brainbug "bioships" even more if I'm right.
And I care why? Scientific analysis shows it to be a chain reaction with current proof. Since you have no proof otherwise, your concession is accepted.
And there is no circular logic, Metrion, in my showing it's not thermal. The lack of atmospheric fireballs the size of states, melted continental plates, and mantle material in the form of vapour prove my point(Clue for the clueless: The ejecta from beneath the crust we saw was not acting as a gas).
Ever read about how an oil rig works? Most of the pressure that drives the oil upward is actually caused by natural gas production. If the magma in the mantle is partially vaporized, not all of the ejecta will be vapor. The vapor will escape (as we saw) and push up some liquid as well.[/quote]

Except we don't see any superheated vapour. Concession accepted.
To quote you:
Pitiful and desperate. I have shown it can't be DET. You have failed to rebutt any of my shows of proof, instead endlessly driving the conversasion away from the utter lack of the things required to be there for DET and not being there.
All of them are there and you simply ignore them.
Suuuure they are. I've shown they're not there. Or are you now resorting to 'bright bands' a la some of our famous trolls?
Bullshit on toast, dear. In the phaser momentum thread I brought up light momentum. My statement about the Doomsphere's beam was badly worded, but a look at the phaser momentum thread will show that I do know about light momentum. As will the fact that I recognized U/c as light momentum when you didn't say "light momentum."
Nope. You said an energy beam will have no momentum. Sorry.
Nice play at semantics, but you are inarguably lying if you state that I could not have known about light momentum simply because I ignored it on such a macroscopic scale.
Yea, I=~e26 is so unnoticable on macroscopic scales. Have you actually done any of the math associated with planetary-scale destruction, Metrion? It's becoming increasingly clear you're ignorant of the forces involved.
Assumptions underpinning your argument:

1.) ENT physics are the same as Trek physics. As supported by the statement that the E-E interacted with it. False, since a separate canon that starts with a canon timeline (as all fanfics do) is still a separate canon. Also false because the laws of physics are not constant even within Trek or ENT, and certain technologies operating in a given space don't mean all of the laws of physics are the same as the tech's native space. The E-D visited a galaxy where thought became reality and its systems still worked. Voyager visted chaotic space and some systems still worked. ENT entered the Delphic Expanse and its tech worked fine.
Very good, you can cite other regions within the Trek megaverse that supported it's science or didn't. Only, get this.. The Ent-E and the Borg encountered no problems! It was their own past, albeit a divergent one once the Borg arrived. There was no magic change in physics to suddenly disregard all chain reactions.
2.) "Scorpion" was an example of an explosive chain reaction in spite of the fact that there is a DET explanation which works. Irrelevant regardless of whether it's true, because assumption 1 is required for it to be a factor. Fortunately it's false even if assumption 1 is true. Until the actual laws of physics CANNOT explain the event, they are the default explanation. The DET explanation that is superior to your interpretation is that the bioships did not have the firepower (DET, NDF or otherwise) to destroy the entire planet with a single shot, and that after the fact the Borg installations on the planet exploded. This raises the question of Borg industrial capacity, but that can be answered without creating new laws of physics. Both theories raise questions, but yours assumes a chain reaction you refuse to describe because you can't.
And yours requires an unobserved unknown. Mine requires only a funky beam, which is exactly what we saw. Guess which wins under Parsimony? Mine.
Antimatter is an unknown and inexplicable chain reactions aren't? You're funny.
Was it observed there? Nope. You lose, as usual, and refuse to admit it.
3.) The Xindi weapon could not have punched a hole in the crust without evenly heating all of it at once. Patently false, as there are energy beams today that do just that with a variety of materials.
No, idiot. The ramping up to the energy required would produce sufficient waste heat to at least make one continental plate(The one it was hitting) glow. This did not occour. Do not strawman me further, even though I know you can't debate without doing so.
You haven't demonstrated that the increasing energy could not be nearly as focused as the initial beam, or that the beam couldn't have an isolating mechanism (hmm...wonder what those barbs in the beam are).
A magic force field which prevents thermal transfer? That sounds suspiciously like something impossible with normal science. Isn't your entire argument based on the idea that we can't use such(Like chain reactions)? Oh yes! It is! Your blatant hypocrisy reeks, Metrion.
4.) The Xindi weapon could not have increased in power after punching a hole in the crust. This in contradiction to the fact that the second prototype did increase in power as it fired.
Outright lie. I pointed out that such an increase should make the things that are lacking(Atmospheric fireballs, crust superheating, mantle gases) even more pronounced. They are not present either way.
5.) The prototypes were not DET. This supported by the "lack of evidence" that the second prototype was DET. Never mind that DET doesn't bear the burden of proof. What lacked evidence was a chain reaction occuring in the target. There was no glowing of the sort seen in ALL chain reaction weapons in both Trek and ENT, and there was no debris movement that didn't start while the weapon was firing.
Strawman. The first prototype can't be DET because it produced no waste heat, even from the destroyed material(Which should be vapour if it's DET, right? Where's the vapour?).
Why the hell would it have to vaporise anything? That you are using direct energy transfer doesn't therefore mean you are using enough to vaporize the target. Phasers, for example, make rock explode by suddenly heating it. Most of the debris is not vaporized.
Phasers are DET? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Right, that's why people they vanish are turned into superheated vapour that kills everyone around them, with enough recoil to rip Kirk's arm off... Oh wait. That doesn't happen. You're lying, like always.
6.) The same type of NDF worked on the planet in "Scorpion," the target destroyed by the second Xindi prototype, and Earth, in spite of their differing explosions and compositions. The planet in "Scorpion" was solid, as was the moon destroyed by the second Xindi prototype (a target chosen by the weapon's engineer, who would have chosen a target more like Earth if the weapon depended on a chain reaction in a certain type of target material). Earth, on the other hand, is liquid inside.
This will not effect a element-specific reaction like NDF, which depends more on the bonds and less on the phase of the matter. In addition, I did not define the chain reaction as NDF, as neither event is consistant with NDF.
7.) The weapon could not have been putting sufficient energy into the planet to boil its mantle because there was no fireball where it hit. Never mind that there was. And never mind that you haven't shown that the energy couldn't have been delivered at a slow enough rate to prevent such fireballs. And never mind that the beam (which clearly had a structure more complex than a straight line) could have had a mechanism such as a forcefield isolating most of its energy from the atmosphere. Such a mechanism could easily be strong enough to hold back air without being strong enough to hold back magma beyond a certain pressure.
The fireball was not the size of a state, which is the size from a large nuclear weapon, nevermind an energy beam designed to vapourize the mantle as you claim it would be doing. And now you are inventing more unknown unobserved to try and bolster your sick and dying theory against the harsh realities of thermodynamics.
And you intend to show that you have a concrete figure for the fireball's size how? And I'll pretend not to notice you earlier saying there was none at all.
Have you looked at the initial impact shot? There's no fireball at all.

As for the size, I'm being extra-conservative, assuming it'll be identical to a low-kiloton energy release. Hell, the cloud we see isn't even kiloton level(Or are you so ignorant of physics you don't know that any kT level event will produce a mushroom cloud?).
8.) The weapon could not have broken Earth up by heating it because Earth's GB energy is more than that required to vape the whole thing. Never mind that we don't know the GB energy was overcome at all. The planet barely came apart, with the few remaining solids moving at less than a third of a planetary diameter per second.
Wow, you're an idiot. I specifically pointed out, that at the minimum for destruction by overcoming GBE, it would take an Earth sized planet ten minutes to expand a planetary diameter. Moving at the speeds you quote, it more than overcame the requirement.

And yes, the first fact is true. If you were running numbers instead of inventing reasons to attack my position, you would notice this.
Numbers? When do you intend to show some numbers showing what temperature would be required to initiate these fireballs and that nothing could have isolated the beam from the atmosphere and crust down to a certain pressure?
Kiloton level energy releases. Considering that DET planetary destruction requires exatons, I would consider looking for kT level events fairly conservative and in your favour. Yet, still none! Concession accepted.
Nor have you shown that the outward pressure to push a planet apart must magically turn back into heat and vape the planet first.
You haven't shown any signs it was thermal in nature. You need to prove your theories, Metrion, not assume you are right until proven wrong, and ignore all evidence against you. That's called trolling, what you're engaged in now.
Questions raised by my stance:

1.) How the Xindi came up with a weapon that produces that amount of energy. This question is also raised by the chain reaction explanation, since we don't know how much energy would have to be incident to spread the chain reaction through the planet.
Ultimately an unknowable question, but if they have that level of power generation on their hands, why not get better shields?
It's not just a matter of making the power. It's also a matter of applying it in that fashion. Not to mention that the Doomsphere is bigger than any of their ships (presumably to make room for powering itself).
You don't have any clue the scale of power we're talking about here, do you? The effective mass of that amount of energy in a sub-kilometer sphere should make it a massive gravitational anom. If we are doing as you say and removing all non-real world factors like chain reactions and such, the Doomsphere should implode, or drag the sea up towards it. (Plug in 2.1e32J into E=MC^2 for E, and solve for M, then solve for the density. Compare to collapsed matter.)

Another blow to your blatant hypocrisy!
2.) Why the Federation doesn't have planetkilling DET in the 24th century if they beat the Xindi. But by my own admission the Federation didn't beat the Xindi because it never encountered them. And we don't know that Enterprise wound up beating them. The situation may be resolved diplomatically, or somebody else may kill them off.
We do not know the fate of the Xindi and Federation, therefore this is useless fangirl speculation to further your own point and failing to do so.
We do know that if you're right about ENT being canon, then by the 24th century most of the AQ should be a lot farther along than they are technologically. And there should be historical references to these events.
Except that it's a parallel timeline, a point you keep stubbornly refusing to accept because it kills your pathetic excuse for an argument. And yes, parallel timelines are Trek Canon(TNG Episode Parallels).
3.) Why the crust didn't melt faster. Possibly answered by the beam having a mechanism to isolate itself from its surroundings down to a certain magma pressure. Heating the core and mantle enough to expand could push the planet apart before enough heat from the core and mantle made it up to the surface to melt all of the crust.
Unobserved unknown, in addition to the fact we can see ejecta from the mantle, and it's not acting like a gas like your theory requires.
Some of it is. And the rest can stay liquid while being ejected due to gas pressure.
Except you have not shown any gas. Concession accepted.
Questions raised by your stance:

1.) How the Xindi generated enough power to start the explosive NDF. Requires a sense of how much power is needed. Unanswerable.
And thus answered the same way with yours: Praying B&B actually resolve it.
2.) Why the powers of the AQ in the 24th century cannot duplicate what happened in "Twilight" by any means despite one of their powers being able to do it 300 years before. Not with a sphere a kilometer in diameter, not with a fleet of ships. Not by DET, not by NDF, not at all. Unanswerable.
Again, same with yours.
No, it's not the same with mine. My theory assumes they're different canons, so the powers of the AQ never dealt with the Xindi and their tech at all.
You've not 'shown' this, you've declared it true and ignored all evidence against it.
3.) What type of chain reaction could, by any means, cause a variety of materials to explode without heating them enough to vaporize. And what such reactions say about the physics of Trek overall. Unanswerable.
But proven Canon by Scorpion.
4.) How you intend to reconcile all of the continuity errors between ENT and Trek. Unanswerable.
Answered again and again, but you again claim it's unanswered. ENT is the timeline created by Picard's meddling in First Contact.
What canon proof do you have that the sphere in "Regeneration" was the same one Picard shot down? Hint: Picard's actions in First Contact didn't create a new timeline. They restored the TNG timeline (which contradicts ENT). Unless you're saying everything after First Contact stems from a history different than that depicted in TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY. Which would be fucked up, but not too unreasonable.
That is exactly what I am saying. It has been said many times over. Are you going to stop being purposely dense because your pet theory has been conclusively disproven?
5.) When you intend to pull the stick out of your ass. Unanswerable.
Precisely five seconds after you stop acting like a Trektard.
Never mind that I literally cried at how bad "Nemesis" was and want B&B's heads on a platter.
And this proves you aren't acting like another of the endless legions of trolls I've debated before how? Yes, I sympathize with the depths of crap Trek has slumped to. This does not excuse the utter, blatant hypocrisy and ignorance of basic science you've shown here, Metrion.

Now, once again, do you have any proof, anywhere, for any of your shit? Or are we going to continue with you simply deploying a Wall Of Ignorance repeatedly, thinking you're clever for ignoring the plethora of evidence against this?

And for those watching at home but not wanting to do actual math, the energy density of the Doomsphere if it imparts 2.2e31J to Earth(Minimum for planetary destruction via DET, far less than it would be if it blew apart at that speed):

2e31J =MC^2

2e31J/C^2 = M

2e31J/9e12 = ~2e18kg

2e18kg/1e3m^3 = 2e15kg/m^3

Or the sort of densities involved with collapsed matter.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

As much fun as these huge posts showing you know nothing about the level of energy involved(And the forces involved with such large amounts of energy) are, let's skip to the chase. Show proof, Metrion.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Metrion Cascade
Village Idiot

Post by Metrion Cascade »

SirNitram wrote:
And there is no circular logic, Metrion, in my showing it's not thermal. The lack of atmospheric fireballs the size of states, melted continental plates, and mantle material in the form of vapour prove my point(Clue for the clueless: The ejecta from beneath the crust we saw was not acting as a gas).
Ever read about how an oil rig works? Most of the pressure that drives the oil upward is actually caused by natural gas production. If the magma in the mantle is partially vaporized, not all of the ejecta will be vapor. The vapor will escape (as we saw) and push up some liquid as well.
Except we don't see any superheated vapour. Concession accepted.
Yes, we do. Unless you think those red clouds rising from the surface (no, not the magma) were water vapor.
Pitiful and desperate. I have shown it can't be DET. You have failed to rebutt any of my shows of proof, instead endlessly driving the conversasion away from the utter lack of the things required to be there for DET and not being there.
All of them are there and you simply ignore them.
Suuuure they are. I've shown they're not there. Or are you now resorting to 'bright bands' a la some of our famous trolls?
Nope. You said an energy beam will have no momentum. Sorry.
Nice play at semantics, but you are inarguably lying if you state that I could not have known about light momentum simply because I ignored it on such a macroscopic scale.
Yea, I=~e26 is so unnoticable on macroscopic scales. Have you actually done any of the math associated with planetary-scale destruction, Metrion? It's becoming increasingly clear you're ignorant of the forces involved.
Have you actually shown any of it, or that the energy in question has to be applied evenly to every square inch of the planet at once?
Very good, you can cite other regions within the Trek megaverse that supported it's science or didn't. Only, get this.. The Ent-E and the Borg encountered no problems! It was their own past, albeit a divergent one once the Borg arrived. There was no magic change in physics to suddenly disregard all chain reactions.
And yours requires an unobserved unknown. Mine requires only a funky beam, which is exactly what we saw. Guess which wins under Parsimony? Mine.
Antimatter is an unknown and inexplicable chain reactions aren't? You're funny.
Was it observed there? Nope. You lose, as usual, and refuse to admit it.
The explosion was observed. It justifies the simplest explanation that doesn't contradict the rest of the canon or require any new physics not already established in-canon.
No, idiot. The ramping up to the energy required would produce sufficient waste heat to at least make one continental plate(The one it was hitting) glow. This did not occour. Do not strawman me further, even though I know you can't debate without doing so.
You haven't demonstrated that the increasing energy could not be nearly as focused as the initial beam, or that the beam couldn't have an isolating mechanism (hmm...wonder what those barbs in the beam are).
A magic force field which prevents thermal transfer? That sounds suspiciously like something impossible with normal science. Isn't your entire argument based on the idea that we can't use such(Like chain reactions)? Oh yes! It is! Your blatant hypocrisy reeks, Metrion.
I didn't say an explanation has to obey physics. I said normal physics are the default until a phenomenon cannot be obeying them. But we already know that forcefields exist in ENT, so simply saying they're being used here doesn't involve me making up new physics. B&B already did that by using them elsewhere in ENT.
Outright lie. I pointed out that such an increase should make the things that are lacking(Atmospheric fireballs, crust superheating, mantle gases) even more pronounced. They are not present either way.
You already conceded that they are.
Strawman. The first prototype can't be DET because it produced no waste heat, even from the destroyed material(Which should be vapour if it's DET, right? Where's the vapour?).
Why the hell would it have to vaporise anything? That you are using direct energy transfer doesn't therefore mean you are using enough to vaporize the target. Phasers, for example, make rock explode by suddenly heating it. Most of the debris is not vaporized.
Phasers are DET? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Right, that's why people they vanish are turned into superheated vapour that kills everyone around them, with enough recoil to rip Kirk's arm off... Oh wait. That doesn't happen. You're lying, like always.
Nice strawman. Phasers have a DET component. But it is not the sole means by which they do damage, because it doesn't work for everything. And the "disintegration" is not an example of the DET. Phasers use multiple means to destroy a target. There's heat (we've seen "phaser burns" and phasers used to melt metal into tools) and there's the 'phasing' out of matter (in one percentage or another depending on the setting), in the same sense that Geordi and Ro were 'phased' in TNG 'The Next Phase'. The phasing is what makes people disappear. But it doesn't work on rock. Sudden temperature increases do.
This will not effect a element-specific reaction like NDF, which depends more on the bonds and less on the phase of the matter. In addition, I did not define the chain reaction as NDF, as neither event is consistant with NDF. The fireball was not the size of a state, which is the size from a large nuclear weapon, nevermind an energy beam designed to vapourize the mantle as you claim it would be doing. And now you are inventing more unknown unobserved to try and bolster your sick and dying theory against the harsh realities of thermodynamics.
And you intend to show that you have a concrete figure for the fireball's size how? And I'll pretend not to notice you earlier saying there was none at all.
Have you looked at the initial impact shot? There's no fireball at all.
You just conceded that there is.
As for the size, I'm being extra-conservative, assuming it'll be identical to a low-kiloton energy release. Hell, the cloud we see isn't even kiloton level(Or are you so ignorant of physics you don't know that any kT level event will produce a mushroom cloud?).
Wow, you're an idiot. I specifically pointed out, that at the minimum for destruction by overcoming GBE, it would take an Earth sized planet ten minutes to expand a planetary diameter. Moving at the speeds you quote, it more than overcame the requirement.

And yes, the first fact is true. If you were running numbers instead of inventing reasons to attack my position, you would notice this.
Numbers? When do you intend to show some numbers showing what temperature would be required to initiate these fireballs and that nothing could have isolated the beam from the atmosphere and crust down to a certain pressure?
Kiloton level energy releases. Considering that DET planetary destruction requires exatons, I would consider looking for kT level events fairly conservative and in your favour. Yet, still none! Concession accepted.
Nor have you shown that the outward pressure to push a planet apart must magically turn back into heat and vape the planet first.
You haven't shown any signs it was thermal in nature. You need to prove your theories, Metrion, not assume you are right until proven wrong, and ignore all evidence against you. That's called trolling, what you're engaged in now.
Ultimately an unknowable question, but if they have that level of power generation on their hands, why not get better shields?
It's not just a matter of making the power. It's also a matter of applying it in that fashion. Not to mention that the Doomsphere is bigger than any of their ships (presumably to make room for powering itself).
You don't have any clue the scale of power we're talking about here, do you? The effective mass of that amount of energy in a sub-kilometer sphere should make it a massive gravitational anom. If we are doing as you say and removing all non-real world factors like chain reactions and such, the Doomsphere should implode, or drag the sea up towards it. (Plug in 2.1e32J into E=MC^2 for E, and solve for M, then solve for the density. Compare to collapsed matter.)

Another blow to your blatant hypocrisy!
Too bad we know for a fact that Trek ships are mass lightened and in some cases have NO mass relative to normal space.
We do not know the fate of the Xindi and Federation, therefore this is useless fangirl speculation to further your own point and failing to do so.
We do know that if you're right about ENT being canon, then by the 24th century most of the AQ should be a lot farther along than they are technologically. And there should be historical references to these events.
Except that it's a parallel timeline, a point you keep stubbornly refusing to accept because it kills your pathetic excuse for an argument. And yes, parallel timelines are Trek Canon(TNG Episode Parallels).
That doesn't mean identical physics. Physics aren't even uniform within a given timeline.
Unobserved unknown, in addition to the fact we can see ejecta from the mantle, and it's not acting like a gas like your theory requires.
Some of it is. And the rest can stay liquid while being ejected due to gas pressure.
Except you have not shown any gas. Concession accepted.
And thus answered the same way with yours: Praying B&B actually resolve it.
Again, same with yours.
No, it's not the same with mine. My theory assumes they're different canons, so the powers of the AQ never dealt with the Xindi and their tech at all.
You've not 'shown' this, you've declared it true and ignored all evidence against it.
The point being that my stance doesn't raise the question of why later AQ firepower doesn't mesh with ENT, because it says they shouldn't.
But proven Canon by Scorpion.
Answered again and again, but you again claim it's unanswered. ENT is the timeline created by Picard's meddling in First Contact.
What canon proof do you have that the sphere in "Regeneration" was the same one Picard shot down? Hint: Picard's actions in First Contact didn't create a new timeline. They restored the TNG timeline (which contradicts ENT). Unless you're saying everything after First Contact stems from a history different than that depicted in TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY. Which would be fucked up, but not too unreasonable.
That is exactly what I am saying. It has been said many times over. Are you going to stop being purposely dense because your pet theory has been conclusively disproven?
You never said that. But if the above is correct, it means "Scorpion" isn't in the same timeline as ENT. So either way your funky chain reaction in "Scorpion" wouldn't factor in even if true.
Precisely five seconds after you stop acting like a Trektard.
Never mind that I literally cried at how bad "Nemesis" was and want B&B's heads on a platter.
And this proves you aren't acting like another of the endless legions of trolls I've debated before how? Yes, I sympathize with the depths of crap Trek has slumped to. This does not excuse the utter, blatant hypocrisy and ignorance of basic science you've shown here, Metrion.

Now, once again, do you have any proof, anywhere, for any of your shit? Or are we going to continue with you simply deploying a Wall Of Ignorance repeatedly, thinking you're clever for ignoring the plethora of evidence against this?

And for those watching at home but not wanting to do actual math, the energy density of the Doomsphere if it imparts 2.2e31J to Earth(Minimum for planetary destruction via DET, far less than it would be if it blew apart at that speed):

2e31J =MC^2

2e31J/C^2 = M

2e31J/9e12 = ~2e18kg

2e18kg/1e3m^3 = 2e15kg/m^3

Or the sort of densities involved with collapsed matter.
The Xindi have at least the same mass lightening abilities as every other Trek race with impulse engines. Maybe better ones. In other words its gravitational effect on realspace could be nil or close to it. And considering Xindi weapons can override conservation of momentum, the weapon could have fucked with Earth's GB energy, making the DET requirements considerably lower.
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Mass lightening? But that doesn't work in real science, Metrion! Just like Chain Reactions don't! And magic forcefields which prevent thermodynamics!

In other words, you're perfectly willing to accept supertech when it's in your favour, but when it's used to discount your pet theory, it can't be used. Thanks for showing your hypocrisy to the world, Metrion. I'm sure there's more to your sad little post, but you've bored me, little girl.

In closing, let's look for this fireball you claim I 'conceeded' was there in the impact shot.

I expect they're exactly where Darkstar's Bands Of Brightness were.

Kazuaki Shimazaki
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kazuaki Shimazaki »

SirNitram wrote:Mass lightening? But that doesn't work in real science, Metrion! Just like Chain Reactions don't! And magic forcefields which prevent thermodynamics!

In other words, you're perfectly willing to accept supertech when it's in your favour, but when it's used to discount your pet theory, it can't be used. Thanks for showing your hypocrisy to the world, Metrion. I'm sure there's more to your sad little post, but you've bored me, little girl.

In closing, let's look for this fireball you claim I 'conceeded' was there in the impact shot.

Is Metrion conceding in another way that the planetary destruction was not due to the raw power of the bolt? Thus, when it hits a SW shield, it'd probably bounce off because its real energy content was low?
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Kazuaki Shimazaki wrote:Is Metrion conceding in another way that the planetary destruction was not due to the raw power of the bolt? Thus, when it hits a SW shield, it'd probably bounce off because its real energy content was low?
Given that she keeps insisting it must be DET.. I'm guessing not.

Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Has anyone actually scaled the doomsphere against the planet to figure out how big it actually is to verify or shoot down the claim that it should not be visable in the explosion pics?
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Metrion Cascade
Village Idiot

Ender wrote:Has anyone actually scaled the doomsphere against the planet to figure out how big it actually is to verify or shoot down the claim that it should not be visable in the explosion pics?
The only scaling shots are of it next to Xindi reptilian ships. These look close in size to the NX-01.
Metrion Cascade
Village Idiot

SirNitram wrote:Mass lightening? But that doesn't work in real science, Metrion! Just like Chain Reactions don't! And magic forcefields which prevent thermodynamics!
I didn't say all impossible tech couldn't be used. I said that explanations can only make up new physics where no physically possible explanation is possible. And tech that's already been established doesn't require any new physics.
Concession accepted.

And you intend to show that the beam is already hitting the atmosphere in this shot how?
Metrion Cascade
Village Idiot

Kazuaki Shimazaki wrote:

Is Metrion conceding in another way that the planetary destruction was not due to the raw power of the bolt? Thus, when it hits a SW shield, it'd probably bounce off because its real energy content was low?
That wouldn't really be DET, so no. But it does raise the question of whether Alderaan could have been destroyed simply by mass lightening it.
Metrion Cascade
Village Idiot

You know, it's too bad I won't get to see the very fascinating discussion of a planet being destroyed by mass lightening, since I won't be checking this thread again...
SirNitram

Post by SirNitram »

Metrion Cascade wrote:You know, it's too bad I won't get to see the very fascinating discussion of a planet being destroyed by mass lightening, since I won't be checking this thread again...
Your concession is, of course, accepted.

Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Metrion Cascade wrote:
Ender wrote:Has anyone actually scaled the doomsphere against the planet to figure out how big it actually is to verify or shoot down the claim that it should not be visable in the explosion pics?
The only scaling shots are of it next to Xindi reptilian ships. These look close in size to the NX-01.
Bullshit, there is a pic of it against earth on the first page. Scale against the curvature of the earth and use the ability to see cuba to determine orbital height. From there you get size. Not a complicated process.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Kazuaki Shimazaki
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kazuaki Shimazaki »

Metrion Cascade wrote:That wouldn't really be DET, so no. But it does raise the question of whether Alderaan could have been destroyed simply by mass lightening it.
Not really. Unless you think ripping aside base-level scientific laws is the first method to analyze sci-fi scientifically.

You do realize that a GBE theory is BELOW even the chain reaction theory. Chain reaction theories like NDF shred scientific laws down to the Conservation of Baryons and do plenty of other stupid things. GBE cancellation theory is a violation of Conservation of Mass and Energy.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Metrion Cascade wrote:First off, S8472 wouldn't attack planets without some notable Borg presence (hence M/AM reactors and storage in one concentration or another). Second, we have no reason to assume that a planetbuster slightly larger than an ordinary S8472 ship is much harder for them to fly around (especially considering they don't seem to have any trouble entering practically anywhere they want in Borg space). And even a planet with no reactors or storage on it could be destroyed by multiple hits from the weapon in "Scorpion" even if all each shot did was the initial impact damage.
METRION: The Borg planet in 'Scorpion' was not destroyed purely by the S8472 planet killer, but by a chain reaction that started when the bioship set off M/AM reactors on the planet.

KUJA: Except that we know eight other planets were destroyed, and isn't it pretty coincidental that S8472 brought a special bioship to a planet that was chock full of M/AM reactors?

METRION: Maybe all of those planets had large amounts of M/AM reactors. Maybe there were multiple planet killers attacking. Maybe, maybe, maybe.

KUJA: Proof?
JADAFETWA