I need some debate help

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Vehrec
Jedi Council Member

Re: I need some debate help

Post by Vehrec »

I think they're talking about the omega 'molecule' from voyager, that even the borg couldn't safely used. The one that destroys subspace somehow or something. It's another example of one episode tech.
ImageCommander of the MFS Darwinian Selection Method (sexual)
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Vehrec wrote:I think they're talking about the omega 'molecule' from voyager, that even the borg couldn't safely used. The one that destroys subspace somehow or something. It's another example of one episode tech.
Where they forget that the Borg lost 29 ships and 600,000 drones in the process of creating one :lol:
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

Ugh that marshall kid is persistent :banghead:
SilverWingedSeraph
Jedi Knight

Post by SilverWingedSeraph »

"If it's called a laser then it's a laser, even if it doesn't look or act like a laser."

That's some brilliant logic there. I'm blown away. Honestly, reading the Wars vs Trek arguments there made my brain hurt, so I decided to stop before it gave me a fucking aneurysm or something.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Have you pointed out that the weapons used by the Borg to damage the Enterprise in Q Who were specifically identified as lasers?
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

Someone else did. He counters by uses that trekkie argument about some borg shield draining tech so his point still stands :? .
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

Has he cited the other non-Borg cases where lasers are apprarently a threat? Or maybe they'll just counter by staying that the Enterprise's shields were screwed up by some local technobabbleonic particle... :roll:
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

Okay I was mistaken no one has used the borg cutting laser argument yet.
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

He is now trying to get something called the ICC declared non canon by saying since it uses the word lasers to describe x wing weapons and since they don't act like lasers in the movies the ICC isn't canon there for the 200 gigaton firepower isn't valid :shock: :roll:
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

hunter5 wrote:He is now trying to get something called the ICC declared non canon by saying since it uses the word lasers to describe x wing weapons and since they don't act like lasers in the movies the ICC isn't canon there for the 200 gigaton firepower isn't valid :shock: :roll:
I'll check to see if he's right, but you could say that as photon torpedoes don't travel through water and don't have propellors, they aren't actually torpedoes, so the Enterprise has one less armament. :wink:

Also, if he still remains stubborn about the ICS: use this argument: in TESB, an ISD casually vapes asteroids with its primary weapons. In the TNG episode Genesis, even upgraded photon torpedoes merely shattered smaller asteroids. So, we know that an ISD has superior weapons to a Galaxy-class. Now, the Enterprise has been crippled by the detonation of just one of its torpedoes, and now that we know that turbolasers are superior to photon torpedoes an ISD shouldn't have much trouble with a Galaxy-class. So you see, the ICS isn't necessary to prove SW weapons superiority. 8)
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

Oh I have been using that he dismisses it because the asteroids in TESB are "pebbles" :banghead:
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

I finally used the borg cutting laser to which he replied with the shields were down due to the borg shield draining tractor beam :x
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

Srelex wrote:Has he cited the other non-Borg cases where lasers are apprarently a threat? Or maybe they'll just counter by staying that the Enterprise's shields were screwed up by some local technobabbleonic particle... :roll:
I am not familiar with all the episodes were lasers are a threat. :oops:
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

hunter5 wrote: I am not familiar with all the episodes were lasers are a threat. :oops:
According to the Imperial Wiki, it's the episodes "The Last Outpost", "Loud as a Whisper", "Suddenly Human", "Conundrum".
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

Thanks but I need a short break. Time to get the oil changed in the old car and get that blasted North Carolina inspection.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Srelex wrote:
hunter5 wrote:He is now trying to get something called the ICC declared non canon by saying since it uses the word lasers to describe x wing weapons and since they don't act like lasers in the movies the ICC isn't canon there for the 200 gigaton firepower isn't valid :shock: :roll:
Nice double standard there :D I thought TLs got treated as lasers because of the name despite behaving in no way shape or form like lasers? Or are they ditching the movies too? :P
Also, if he still remains stubborn about the ICS: use this argument: in TESB, an ISD casually vapes asteroids with its primary weapons.
Um no it doesn't. It does so with invisibly tiny tertiary guns. :D
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

Batman wrote:
Srelex wrote:
Nice double standard there :D I thought TLs got treated as lasers because of the name despite behaving in no way shape or form like lasers? Or are they ditching the movies too? :P
No he is just trying to get the ICS thrown out by using the no laser argument against us.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I got that, thanks.Notice the smiley at the end of my post. :wink:
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

Ah no actually i missed that :oops:
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

hunter5 wrote:
Batman wrote:Nice double standard there :D I thought TLs got treated as lasers because of the name despite behaving in no way shape or form like lasers? Or are they ditching the movies too? :P
No he is just trying to get the ICS thrown out by using the no laser argument against us.
So is the Enterprise immune to Proton Torpedoes? Missiles? Ion cannons? Seismic charges? Boarding crews? Ramming tactics?

Of course not, because there is no such thing as no limits "immunity." Use that against them if they keep trying to pull that crap. Especially the point about Ion Cannons and boarding crews; when your control surfaces have all been fried * , your warp core disabled, and stormtroopers armed with heavy blasters and nerve gas are breaching your hull, I'm sure the awesomeness of your ship's shields will be the last thing on your mind as you try and survive the inevitable shooting gallery. It'll be just like the Tantive V over Tatooine. :twisted:

* I wonder what would happen when Trek's patented Exploding ConsolesTM meet the electrifying effects of Ion cannons... :lol:
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

That would work splendidly against sensible people. If he were DEALING with sensible people it also wouldn't be necessary to begin with.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Well, it does have a certain novelty, as I don't think many people (including many people who argue in favor of Star Wars!) often consider that the Empire has plenty of other ship-to-ship weapons besides just turbolasers which would come into play in a VS matchup with Trek (or anyone else for that matter) * . The No Lasers argument particularly seems like an attempt to capitalize on this tendency to simplify things. This has the advantage of short circuiting their assumptions, and plays to Star Wars' often overlooked strengths. Many arguments from Trek's side try and wow people with the novelty and coolness of Trek's technology (regardless of whether this is warranted or relevant) (for example, arguments about Trek's transporters) and it does seem to work on the gullible; Ion Cannons have that "Wow, nifty!" factor, AND they are relevant to the discussion. Same with boarding, since it conjures the awesome imagery of ANH and uses that to your psychological advantage.

* Oh, I forgot one in my list above: tractor beams and gravity well projectors. That's right, there is no escape, Captain Picard.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Man this guy's stubborn, he's pulling so many strawmen it's giving me a headache. From what I gather, he's trying to get the ICS thrown out based on the fact that the Holocron is not controlled by Lucas himself, or something like that :banghead:

And as for weapon ranges, I've pointed out to him that in ST fleet combat, ranges of the kind he's claiming in isolated incidents are never seen on screen, is there something I'm missing?
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:Man this guy's stubborn, he's pulling so many strawmen it's giving me a headache. From what I gather, he's trying to get the ICS thrown out based on the fact that the Holocron is not controlled by Lucas himself, or something like that :banghead:

And as for weapon ranges, I've pointed out to him that in ST fleet combat, ranges of the kind he's claiming in isolated incidents are never seen on screen, is there something I'm missing?
Well, in the TOS long-range battles were certainly implied, I believe, but this was mostly down to SFX limitations. By the time TNG comes about, we get starships practically poking up each other's asses. You should point out that in ROTJ, 'point blank range' is considered dozens of kilometers at best.
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

You said the storm troopers were winning until their own technology was taken and used against them. I assume your post was to make them sound good right? Instead you just exposed another weakness of theirs. At least star trek has command codes that allow them to disable technology when it falls into the hands of an enemy.
This is perhaps the dumbest argument I have ever heard in my life. :lol: