Timothy Zahn
94%
Kevin J Anderson
6%

Total votes: 35

Needa
Youngling

Post by Needa »

Daala wasn't all that bad. Sure KJA created her, but he even with this curse she managed to unite all the imperial lords (well unite may be not the accurate word, kill should be more appropriate). As Mr Bean said before, she didn't have enough information about the enemy and we should all remind that information is the most important thing in war. She might not be the brightest leader, but atleasth she manage to do something for the Empire when all the other Imperials with some power fought agaisnt each other.
Before you, pitiful trolls, invade this forum take note that:
Mr. Bean will not fear using his irony agaisnt you.
Sir Nitram will burn your idiotic arguments.
Grand Admiral Thrawn will generously dismember your illogical thoughts.
Master of Ossus will bash your stupidity.

And if you are still alive, DARTH WONG WILL CRUSH WHAT'S LEFT. You have been warned.
Moonstone Spider
Youngling

Post by Moonstone Spider »

No reading the actual lines we see that a lot of people believed that, that was the reason she was promoted and were spaced for expressing it! KJA tells us all wonderfull stories about how she came up with wonderfull and brilliant new stratagies in combat, that Tarkin ended up using and employing himself! What we are also told is that she was defeated because Ackbar recognised the tactic when she attacked Moncal, and defeated her. What does this prove, in all her time at the Maw, she couldn't think of a new tactic and when she realises that the Empire is defeated she assumes it was because no-one used her tactic and therefore she could use it safely.
Bah, that was probably just Daala's own mind coming up with that. After all, that scene was her own thoughts which would naturally be colored in her own favor. Her strategies were probably elementary obvious junk and Tarkin "Really Used them" because every commander already used them as a normal routine, like raising shields or launching fighters into battle.
Murphs Rules
1. Never let the enemy choose the battlefield
2. Always know where your enemy is and deny him the same ability to you

Today War is nearly 60% intellgance 30% acutal Strength and 10% Command Skill

Daala did not have the information she need so of course she made boned headed mistakes and blunders.
Frankly that doesn't say much in her favor. Any kind of real admiral would know this, and thus wouldn't attack until gathering some information first and knowing what to strike. Bel Iblis knew his targets because he researched and studied them, not because information on his targets magically apeared in some tea leaves to tell him where to attack. Daala never bothered with intelligence, which speaks ill of her own.
master_yoda
Rabid Monkey

Post by master_yoda »

Anyway,I would say Zahn is Far more better than KJA.
KJa's books are stupid and have crappy characters and characters that were in the movies (eg Ackbar) acted differently and the fleet battles sucked infected donkey balls.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Daala never bothered with intelligence, which speaks ill of her own.
Acutal I think it speaks more Porrley of KJH

Remeber Dark-Saber she was much better of, KJH was held by the Iron Grip of Zahn not to @%@% with Peollon, Then she had a decent writer and we could acutal see her

The problem of course always starts with the writer

Oh and she did bother with Intel, she attacked a few frieghters stole thier information(Not much) but then *Brain bug relyed on her own OLD information when she attacked Mon Cal

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Poorly! Dang no edit

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Stravo
Official SD.Net Teller of Tales

Post by Stravo »

Have to go with Zahn ALL the way! His trilogy made me fall in love with Star Wars all over again!!
Wherever you go, there you are.

Ripped Shirt Monkey - BOTMWriter's Guild Cybertron's Finest Justice League
This updated sig brought to you by JME2
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Zahn all the way. He's one of three authors I'd say have a real handle on the character of the Star Wars universe. His novels are honestly the best ever written for the EU. To even compare him with The Hack Who Will Not be Named is an injustice and crime against literary standards.

Daala was a character with a of potential murdered by a shitty writer. The idea was sound, the execution awful.

Daala's real problem was she was an arm chair admiral. She may have come up with some new and impressive tactics but she never actually used them in battle. She didn't have the experience necessary to make wise strategic decisions. A lot of her mistakes stemmed from poor preperation and intel. In actual combat she was overconfident and when she lost, she couldn't take it. Her plan in Darksaber wasn't too bad, she just made a lot of the same mistakes in actual combat.