More Trektardism

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Connor MacLeod wrote:So basically instead of the Fivers continuing to insist the First Ones and everyone else were "holding back" - its the rabid trekkies insisting that everyone else in trek is"holding back".
To be fair, at least the fivers that claim the First Ones were 'holding back' have things that give them a vague justification for it (I say this thinking of the current B5 RPG, which is probably non canonical, but still, and its actually rather cool Vorlon & Shadow sourcebook). Of course, they ignore that the Vorlons really wouldn't be personally on board those starships if they were the deathtraps and toys they like to claim they are. The Vorlons may indeed have billions of warships from long ago stashed, but those warships are still not individually that formidable, and they don't have the crew to operate all of them at short notice.

The idea that the Federation has crack marines hidden somewhere is far more ludicrous. In fact, the only thing I can think of suggesting even a regular ground force is Colonel West in ST6...
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

NecronLord wrote: To be fair, at least the fivers that claim the First Ones were 'holding back' have things that give them a vague justification for it (I say this thinking of the current B5 RPG, which is probably non canonical, but still, and its actually rather cool Vorlon & Shadow sourcebook).
Only in the sense that it applied to the younger races, and only in certain ways. THey neglected, for example, that there was signficant evidence that the Planet Killers were the upper limit tier of B5 firepower (both Shadow and Vorlon PKs) for example.
Of course, they ignore that the Vorlons really wouldn't be personally on board those starships if they were the deathtraps and toys they like to claim they are. The Vorlons may indeed have billions of warships from long ago stashed, but those warships are still not individually that formidable, and they don't have the crew to operate all of them at short notice.
As I recall most of the "holding back" WRT to power of their starships applied mainly to the Shadows, who were using "weaker but more quickly built" organiwank warships as tools of forced evolution (IE the way they were in the Show.) THe Vorlons weren't doing that - if anything their older ships were less advanced than the newer ones (that I recall.) The only real way they "held back" was in the number of ships and territory they might have had (which is alot for some powers, but nothing near they claimed.)

These are the people that claimed they had effortless energy-to-matter conversion and thus needed no resourecs because they could create matter easily, could disintegrate ships at will (Even Culture ships). The rabid Fivers believed the FOs WERE culture level, if not higher (IE TRiad wanking.)

There may have been minor justifications, but the basic point is they blew it out of proportion and used it dishonestly. Much like the SFJ trekkies do (and they also claim they can take on the Culture, or 40K...)
The idea that the Federation has crack marines hidden somewhere is far more ludicrous. In fact, the only thing I can think of suggesting even a regular ground force is Colonel West in ST6...
Some of the more rabid Fivers insisted that the Shadows had armies of technomages that could resist multi-GT detonations and destroy enemy starships with "Spells of Destruction" hidden away to. Hell they tended to insist that the Shadows could field massed armies of technomages as mere grunts. (Won't even bother with the Machine People type wanking..)
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Connor MacLeod wrote:Only in the sense that it applied to the younger races, and only in certain ways. THey neglected, for example, that there was signficant evidence that the Planet Killers were the upper limit tier of B5 firepower (both Shadow and Vorlon PKs) for example.
Mmm. AFAIK, that RPG didn't claim anything more powerful existed. Just lots of (occasionally self-replicating) stuff.
As I recall most of the "holding back" WRT to power of their starships applied mainly to the Shadows, who were using "weaker but more quickly built" organiwank warships as tools of forced evolution (IE the way they were in the Show.) THe Vorlons weren't doing that - if anything their older ships were less advanced than the newer ones (that I recall.) The only real way they "held back" was in the number of ships and territory they might have had (which is alot for some powers, but nothing near they claimed.)
I always loved these claims about shadow invulnerability. They're remarkably puny for the creators of armies of super-uber-hyper-technomages. I guess those SMGs the Centauri palace guard had must have had some spectacular power...
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
skies
Youngling

Post by skies »

Connor MacLeod wrote:Some of the more rabid Fivers insisted that the Shadows had armies of technomages that could resist multi-GT detonations and destroy enemy starships with "Spells of Destruction" hidden away to. Hell they tended to insist that the Shadows could field massed armies of technomages as mere grunts. (Won't even bother with the Machine People type wanking..)
Are you serious? One basic plot point of the B5 series was that the shadows were forced to take a more covert role because they didn't have the forces to invade directly. The Babalon Squared episode specifically states that the shadows lost most of their forces in the last great war, and didn't even have enough pilots for the ships the did have. That's why they were kidnapping human telepaths, even though they were said to hate telepaths and be vulnerable to them.

OT, I always though the technomage concept was stupid. Basically a cyberpunk wankjob.
Ted C
Sith Marauder

Post by Ted C »

skies wrote:That's why they were kidnapping human telepaths, even though they were said to hate telepaths and be vulnerable to them.
I think the reason the Shadows were kidnapping telepaths for use as pilots was that telepaths were the Achilles' heel of their ships. Telepathic pilots would be able to resist hostile telepathic scans, making their ships more resilient.
"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Teleros
Jedi Council Member

Post by Teleros »

Ted C wrote:I think the reason the Shadows were kidnapping telepaths for use as pilots was that telepaths were the Achilles' heel of their ships. Telepathic pilots would be able to resist hostile telepathic scans, making their ships more resilient.
Pretty much, although I think it was a case of attack rather than scan ;) . Normal human pilots etc were vulnerable to telepaths disrupting their ability to control the ships, hence the Shadows' plan.
Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

Oh boy. Looks like the SFJ crowd actually believes Worf could beat a Jedi.
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

Coiler wrote:Oh boy. Looks like the SFJ crowd actually believes Worf could beat a Jedi.
They think he can beat a pansy Space Marine in his battle armor that takes more damage than phaser array can put out. Of course they'd wank him against a telepathic demi-god who can throw people around rooms, shoot lightning from his hands, and is armed with a weapon that can burn straight through a bat'leth without stopping.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Aaron
Blackpowder Man

Post by Aaron »

There just wet because Worf is ribbed for "your" pleasure and they want to ride him like a donkey.

That aside, look at the other threads in that forum: Worf versus a SM, Worf vs The Doctor etc, most of them pick the Trek side automatically. There's even dipshits on there that think the UFP could beat the Dalaks. This is nothing more than another version of their insanity.
M1891/30: A bad day on the range is better then a good day at work.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Worf can't even beat DATA. How's he going to beat someone he can't touch with a weapon that can't be parried?
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Worf can't even beat DATA. How's he going to beat someone he can't touch with a weapon that can't be parried?
The power of trekkie fan wank is unstoppable.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

Peptuck wrote: They think he can beat a pansy Space Marine in his battle armor that takes more damage than phaser array can put out. Of course they'd wank him against a telepathic demi-god who can throw people around rooms, shoot lightning from his hands, and is armed with a weapon that can burn straight through a bat'leth without stopping.
Nitpick: The Jedi did not have a lightsaber in the scenario. Still, the scenario was a bar fight, and those have plenty of stuff to fling around with the Force.
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Coiler wrote:Nitpick: The Jedi did not have a lightsaber in the scenario. Still, the scenario was a bar fight, and those have plenty of stuff to fling around with the Force.
Ah, another scenario where they need to delibrately handicap the non-Trek side to even have a prayer of victory. And they wonder why no one takes them seriously. :roll:
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

ghetto edit: even out in the middle of nowhere, where there is NOTHING to throw around, the Jedi still kicks Worf's ass throwing Worf around, & force-choking him at will.

Are they proposing yet ANOTHER trektard scenario where the Jedi just sits there doing nothing while Worf swings his bat'leth into the Jedi's head with one hand and stabs him in the chest with a d'k tagh with the other?

Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

Well, at least some of the people on there have some reason still in them, Narsil and Opencoiler come to mind.

Secondly, on ST look at what SSFPhoenix posted.

I don't feel like arguing about accurate that number is
this was in reference to the SW firepower numbers he posted, all of them in the kiloton range :D
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."
- Sean Hannity Forums user Avi

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
-Mazen707 informing me about the facts on carbon-based life.
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Darth Ruinus wrote:Well, at least some of the people on there have some reason still in them, Narsil and Opencoiler come to mind.
"Opencoiler" is the guy who posted just above my last two posts in this thread.

Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

I honestly don't know how long I can keep debating on SFJ. It's like wandering into a huge mass of trektardism, and you can't see the point of debating to convince any neutral observers-since neutral observers are practically nonexistent and those that are becoming smothered up and muffled by the giant trektard mass.

Anyway, after watching ROTJ again earlier today, I can't see how anyone could make the claim that it took the fleet several hours to get to Endor. Very soon after Leia says "Han, hurry, the fleet will be here any minute", the fleet shows up.

It doesn't get any simpler than that, and yet they're still denying it.
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Coiler wrote:Anyway, after watching ROTJ again earlier today, I can't see how anyone could make the claim that it took the fleet several hours to get to Endor. Very soon after Leia says "Han, hurry, the fleet will be here any minute", the fleet shows up.
Have you read Darkstar's bullshit on that?

+http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWendorday.html

Premise 1: the Death Star is ALWAYS above the shield generator/same time zone.

With that premise in mind, Darkstar insists this picture is indicative of either a "morning or afternoon landing" even though the Death Star is right over the terminator. And it just goes downhill from there.

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

Most all of his issues with the Ewok traps taking hours/days to build are irrelevant. The Ewoks have a natural, bipedal predator which is larger than an AT-ST and was likely the intended target of such traps. If the Ewok society ranges over a large area, it is likely that there are many such traps spread throughout, and that they have ready-made traps and heavy weapons in mobile/accessible positions.
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Peptuck
Is Not A Moderator

Post by Peptuck »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:Most all of his issues with the Ewok traps taking hours/days to build are irrelevant. The Ewoks have a natural, bipedal predator which is larger than an AT-ST and was likely the intended target of such traps. If the Ewok society ranges over a large area, it is likely that there are many such traps spread throughout, and that they have ready-made traps and heavy weapons in mobile/accessible positions.
That and they knew the previous night that they would be attacking the Imperial installation, and the Rebels are surprised when the Ewoks spring their ambush, indicating they had no idea the Ewoks were prepared. I wouldn't have been surprised if the Ewoks were already prepared to fight the Empire and had all those traps set up beforehand, or were ready to move them into place.
X-COM: Defending Earth by blasting the shit out of it.

Writers are people, and people are stupid. So, a large chunk of them have the IQ of beach pebbles. ~fgalkin

You're complaining that the story isn't the kind you like. That's like me bitching about the lack of ninjas in Robin Hood. ~CaptainChewbacca
Kane Starkiller
Jedi Council Member

Post by Kane Starkiller »

Cpl Kendall wrote:That aside, look at the other threads in that forum: Worf versus a SM, Worf vs The Doctor etc, most of them pick the Trek side automatically.
I find this the by far the most baffling aspect about Trekkies. It's not their wanking of Trek technology that gets me as much as their wanking of Trek characters. Here we have Worf, who is basically just a big guy with a menacing scowl, versus Jedi or freaking Space Marines.
But it doesn't end there. Remember Graham Kennedy's portal and how he had Troi fooling Emperor with a "look behind you" trick and then knocking him out? Trek heroes are all so smart and strong and cunning and..*fap fap fap fap fap*.
But if the forces of evil should rise again, to cast a shadow on the heart of the city.
Call me. -Batman
Aratech
Jedi Knight

Post by Aratech »

Kane Starkiller wrote:
Cpl Kendall wrote:That aside, look at the other threads in that forum: Worf versus a SM, Worf vs The Doctor etc, most of them pick the Trek side automatically.
I find this the by far the most baffling aspect about Trekkies. It's not their wanking of Trek technology that gets me as much as their wanking of Trek characters. Here we have Worf, who is basically just a big guy with a menacing scowl, versus Jedi or freaking Space Marines.
But it doesn't end there. Remember Graham Kennedy's portal and how he had Troi fooling Emperor with a "look behind you" trick and then knocking him out? Trek heroes are all so smart and strong and cunning and..*fap fap fap fap fap*.
Sweet mother of God. *shakes head*

In regards to the Worf/SM thread, I know the feeling. T'was not online, but in person, where I had to convince someone that Worf had about as much a chance beating Spartan 117 in a barfight as a blind quadrapoligic had of taking down Mohammad Ali.
"Impossible! Lasers can't even harm out deflector dish! Clearly these foes are masters of illusion!' 'But sir, my console says we-' 'MASTERS OF ILLUSION! - General Schatten
Coiler
Jedi Knight

Post by Coiler »

Taking the time to do a little analysis on SFJ demographics:

Number of total members: 96
Number of members with 0-10 posts: 51
Number of members with 10-100 posts: 24
Number of members with 100+ posts: 21

What does that say about them? :lol:
Darth Ruinus
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Ruinus »

Guys guys guys, you have it all wrong, sure the Jedi COULD simply Force Push him into a wall all day or untill he breaks something, sure the Jedi COULD shot objects at Worf all day too, and yes, the Jedi COULD probably beat Wof senseless with fist to fist combat but you are all forgetting something.

Worf is a Klingon, and we all know how badass Klingons are.
"I don't believe in man made global warming because God promised to never again destroy the earth with water. He sent the rainbow as a sign."
- Sean Hannity Forums user Avi

"And BTW the concept of carbon based life is only a hypothesis based on the abiogensis theory, and there is no clear evidence for it."
-Mazen707 informing me about the facts on carbon-based life.
skies
Youngling

Post by skies »

Darth Servo wrote:
Coiler wrote:Anyway, after watching ROTJ again earlier today, I can't see how anyone could make the claim that it took the fleet several hours to get to Endor. Very soon after Leia says "Han, hurry, the fleet will be here any minute", the fleet shows up.
Have you read Darkstar's bullshit on that?

+http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWendorday.html
OMG... just WOW... It just goes on and on; one long string of tortured logic based upon bizarre assumptions ans assertion. My favorite part was where he elevates HIS time-line to Canon status because the visuals he uses are from the film (and therefore canon).

Two observations that blow the entire argument apart:

1. He states that the time between the exit from hyperspace to the DS2 took 8 hours. This is ridiculous since doing so would give the Emperor (the MAIN target of the assault) hours to escape, and we see from the flow of events (Bridge scene with Akbar and Cockpit scene with Lando) show that it took just a few minutes, plus we see Endor and the DS2 expand rapidly in just a few seconds. We can also assume that the Rebels would not exit so far that it would take more than a few minutes to reach the target, since that would be tactically stupid.

2. By his time-line the Imps took DAYS to move Han, Leah, et. al. to the clearing. Why would they bother? Once you capture prisoners, especially high value ones like Han and Leah, you send them off to confinement and interrogation, you don't march them off for parade days after capture (in front of nobody other than the troops there to capture them no less). Why were they not taken to the Emperor so he could use them as extra leverage against Luke (who apparently was trying to bang the Imperial receptionist all this time)?

After reading through that link, I had to go for a quick walk. Seriously, I think I lost some IQ points.