94%
Kevin J Anderson
6%

Total votes: 35

Crown
NARF

Timothy Zahn Vs KJA

Post by Crown »

Hello! This is the first thread that I have ever started so, it's also kinda of an introduction thread as well!

Okay here is the scene;

Timothy Zahn and KJA have been given the powers to allow their thought to manifest. What ever one writes down, as in a novel, will be sorta real. They each write on the same book but on different sides. Make sense?
So who wins?

My theory:

Timothy starts off cautious, he takes great pain and care in introducing us to his characters, he makes them interesting, believable and viable. KJA ignores this and starts by introducing high ranking baddies, who we are led to believe are very competent, but gives us no proof. They attack and make a huge succes out of it, regardless of the fact that all they were doing was bombing a stone-age civilisation out of existance. They now are meant to be interpreted as infailable and the CANNOT be beaten.

Back to Tim, his vilians have also launched an attack, although not 100% succesfull, they achieve their major objectives, and the situation looks, grim. The good guys however are on the case and they begind to show some spirit and fight back, it's desperate, it's necessary and it's believable.

KJA meanwhile, his bad guys are nearly victorious, when he suddenly realises he is about to reach his word limit, so he allows the good guys to pull some trump card out of their respective areses and save the day. Thus totally negating your entire effort of reading 600 odd pages of drible just because the ending is stupid.

As a result, Tim's well crafted effort is short changed because he had the audacity to actually make this whole thing realistic.

Well that was a little bit longer than I thought it would be, but it at least shows you my view of who is the best STAR WARS EU author is...
Η ζωή, η ζωή εδω τελειώνει!
"Science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on" - Masuka 'Dexter'
"Angela is not the woman you think she is Gabriel, she's done terrible things"
"So have I, and I'm going to do them all to you." - Sylar to Arthur 'Heroes'
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Post by Grand Admiral Thrawn »

No contest.
"You know, I was God once."
"Yes, I saw. You were doing well, until everyone died."
Bender and God, Futurama
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

Zahn all the way
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Yes I agree, Zahn is truely the better author... But does he have any defence against KJA's pull something out of my arse at the last minute trick?
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

While Zahn is a better author, I still don't think KJA is as bad as most people think. So I'll vote for him out of simpathy.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

With characters like Thrawn...well, i think that's all i really have to say on the subject.
Justice League, Super-Villain Carnage "Carnage Rules!" Cult of the Kitten Mew... The Black Mage with The Knife SD.Net Chronicler of the Past Bun Bun is my hero. The Official Verilonitis Vaccinator
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Zahn ofcourse.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Captain Cyran
Psycho Mini-lop

Post by Captain Cyran »

David wrote:While Zahn is a better author, I still don't think KJA is as bad as most people think. So I'll vote for him out of simpathy.
Stupid sympathy votes....ruined our perfect sweep of KJA.
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

The monkey was feeling generous today.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The monkey voted aginst Thrawn!
It muuuuust diiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Zahn all the way to the Superbowl!

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

That's even funnier with your pic!

I just get a kick out of it.
Zoink
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zoink »

I don't know who either is, so I voted for the underdog :)
David
Moderator Emeritus

Post by David »

Where have you been the last 10 years?
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Ah! You voted against my character's creator!
Bender and God, Futurama
BrianDavion
Redshirt

Post by BrianDavion »

why even bother with this poll. Zhan is a skilled writer, he and Stackpole are IMHO among the best of the SW authors (well Alliston too. the X-wing books where a refreshing change from the overly political EU books of the time) KJA he's basicly just a hack writer. hell he doesn't even WRITE the things himself. he records it into a tape and gets some one to type it for him apparently.
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

And copies. Daala is obviously a poor attempt at Thrawn.
Bender and God, Futurama
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Well acutal no Daala is a halfway decent charater I'll give him that much(And Maw instlation cool Idea, I should get one of my own)
Not a halfway Thrawn. More of a Pelleon who thinks shes a Thrawn :)

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Grand Admiral Thrawn
Ruthless Imperial Tyrant

Mr Bean wrote:Well acutal no Daala is a halfway decent charater I'll give him that much(And Maw instlation cool Idea, I should get one of my own)
Not a halfway Thrawn. More of a Pelleon who thinks shes a Thrawn :)

Halfway decent character?! She is the dumb "EVIL IMPERIAL OFFICER" standard, tries to be a tactical genuis, but kills some pirates, an imcomplete cruiser, a city and some fighters only while losing 3 ISDs and getting the fourth so damaged it was scrapped. Her only skill was in bed
Bender and God, Futurama
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Fighting on ten? Twenty year old information and likley SD MK I ships which had not be repleshed in quite awhile

She is of acdemic Tatics area. IE all those battles she so proud of where all Theoirtical. She was fighting with 100% Green troops and no real useful enemy intellgance to speak off What did you expect?

She did much better in Darksaber but thats after she got clued into how the world works oh and Zahn helped with that Book

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Daala could have been a good character. Should have been. But she was doomed as KJA wrote her.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Originally posted by BrianDavion
why even bother with this poll. Zhan is a skilled writer, he and Stackpole are IMHO among the best of the SW authors (well Alliston too. the X-wing books where a refreshing change from the overly political EU books of the time) KJA he's basicly just a hack writer. hell he doesn't even WRITE the things himself. he records it into a tape and gets some one to type it for him apparently.
Not an attack, but bother with this pole because don't you hate it when hack writters totally undo all the good work that good one's do? And really I think that Zahn is the best, however it saddens me to admit that KJA would probably win because he would use the old pull something ridiculous out of my arse trick at the last moment!
Originally posted by Mr Bean
Well acutal no Daala is a halfway decent charater I'll give him that much
So totally disagree with you there, she was a failure. All she acomplished were defeated vigilanty attacks and managed to piss pretty much everyone off with her stupidity!
Originallly posted by Mr Bean
Fighting on ten? Twenty year old information and likley SD MK I ships which had not be repleshed in quite awhile

She is of acdemic Tatics area. IE all those battles she so proud of where all Theoirtical. She was fighting with 100% Green troops and no real useful enemy intellgance to speak off What did you expect?

She did much better in Darksaber but thats after she got clued into how the world works oh and Zahn helped with that Book
Two things;

First don't you ever link Zahn's good name with trash novels! I would imagine that all Zahn did was tell KJA not to srew up Palleon too much or he would have had to kill him!

Second Garm Bel Iblis seemed to do a lot better with even older technology than she ever could hope to do with the latest! Garm had three Dark Force Dreadnaughts which were totally insignificant to Victory Star Destroyers and yet he managed to hold his own little private war without lossing three quaters of his bloody fleet!

Make sense, what I write does.
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Originally posted by phongn
Daala could have been a good character. Should have been. But she was doomed as KJA wrote her.
In total agreement we are. :)
Moonstone Spider
Youngling

Post by Moonstone Spider »

Well I can't imagine voting for KJA when Zahn's available, but I'd like to mention a couple things in Daala's favor. Yes, she's incompetent but that doesn't really make her a bad character. C3PO isn't particularly good at commanding Star Destroyers either but he's a good character. Reading between the Lines it looks to me like Daala basically got her rank by screwing Tarkin and she's an excellent example of corruption and bad decision making in the ranks ruining things for the military. She's just bad if you want to use her in a Vs. Debate (unless you're pitting Daala in command of a Fleet vs. C3PO in command of a Fleet)
Crown
NARF

Post by Crown »

Originally posted be Moonstone Spider
I'd like to mention a couple things in Daala's favor. Yes, she's incompetent but that doesn't really make her a bad character. C3PO isn't particularly good at commanding Star Destroyers either but he's a good character.
Yes but that is not what C3PO's job is! He droid. She Admiral.
Reading between the Lines it looks to me like Daala basically got her rank by screwing Tarkin and she's an excellent example of corruption and bad decision making in the ranks ruining things for the military.
No reading the actual lines we see that a lot of people believed that, that was the reason she was promoted and were spaced for expressing it! KJA tells us all wonderfull stories about how she came up with wonderfull and brilliant new stratagies in combat, that Tarkin ended up using and employing himself! What we are also told is that she was defeated because Ackbar recognised the tactic when she attacked Moncal, and defeated her. What does this prove, in all her time at the Maw, she couldn't think of a new tactic and when she realises that the Empire is defeated she assumes it was because no-one used her tactic and therefore she could use it safely.

Oh by the way, welcome to the Board! :P
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Second Garm Bel Iblis seemed to do a lot better with even older technology than she ever could hope to do with the latest! Garm had three Dark Force Dreadnaughts which were totally insignificant to Victory Star Destroyers and yet he managed to hold his own little private war without lossing three quaters of his bloody fleet!
But then agian what did Ben Iblis try and do?
Hit and Run Strikes aginst Targets he had loads of information on?

Like it or not thats like comparing a blindfoled man trying to hit some targets at 50 meters VS A normal guy with a Handgun
Sure one has more power but the fact is not enough information

Daala had little information on what she was facing
She attacked Mon Cal for Bob sake with only three Destroyers!
Her plan for attack Courscant acutal had a bit of Mert and would have been intresting to try it however I don't quite think they could have punched through both layers of shileding before she managed it(It was a Bright idea IMO, If you can BDZ somthing how about Kintecticly killing it?)

Face it sure she had better overall ships then Ben did but then agian Ben was not traped in a Black Hole Cluster Leading Green recruits and had no information on the outside world

Murphs Rules
1. Never let the enemy choose the battlefield
2. Always know where your enemy is and deny him the same ability to you

Today War is nearly 60% intellgance 30% acutal Strength and 10% Command Skill

Daala did not have the information she need so of course she made boned headed mistakes and blunders