Cap ships in Star Trek

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Incidentally, I stil can't really tell why maneuverability would be so important for the larger ST ships, since they seem to sit in walls and trade blows with each other while at point blank range.

I also cannot conceive of any reason why their maneuverability would be a significant factor in any conflict between SW vs. ST. They may be more maneuverable than an ISD, but there is really no reason I can see for that to be particularly important.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Swatting flies

Post by Patrick Degan »

DarkStar wrote:. . . and, therefore, starships which will outmaneuver Star Wars vessels quite comfortably
Federation ships were "outmanoeuvering" the Borg cubeship at Wolf 359. That didn't amount to anything at all, and the final score at Wolf ended up: Borg 39, Federation 0.

Clay pigeons are faster than the people shooting at them. But it's always the clay pigeons that lose.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Re: Swatting flies

Patrick Degan wrote: Clay pigeons are faster than the people shooting at them. But it's always the clay pigeons that lose.
Funny how that works.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Lord_Vader
Youngling

Post by Lord_Vader »

Heh yeah...being faster only amounts to something if you can put a significant sting into your attack on the lesser agile foe.
"Join me and I will complete your training"
"You dont know the power of the Dark Side"
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

TNG and after ships may be more maneuverable than an ISD, but if LTLs can track and hit the insanely maneuverable, 10 meter long A-wings from the side (ref. ROTJ [canon]), it doesn't matter.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Darth Yoshi wrote:TNG and after ships may be more maneuverable than an ISD, but if LTLs can track and hit the insanely maneuverable, 10 meter long A-wings from the side (ref. ROTJ [canon]), it doesn't matter.
It was actually an X-Wing, and it was 15 meters long, but who really cares? The slight advantage that most Trek ships appear to have over SW in maneuverability is essentially irrelevent.

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Master of Ossus wrote:The invisible, damage inducing portion of a TL propogates at the speed of light and does considerable damage by itself.
It does all the damage really, the visible part is just like a ripple travelling along the beam.
Like waves in the sea.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
His Divine Shadow

Master of Ossus wrote:The invisible, damage inducing portion of a TL propogates at the speed of light and does considerable damage by itself.
It does all the damage really, the visible part is just like a ripple travelling along the beam.
Like waves in the sea.
His Divine Shadow

uuuuh? Postcount ++?
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

A better way of putting it HDS is its a Tracer

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
His Divine Shadow

Mr Bean wrote:A better way of putting it HDS is its a Tracer
Not on purpose though, because it's so horribly inadequate as a tracer.
DarkStar
Village Idiot

Post by DarkStar »

RayCav of ASVS wrote: I recommend you watch TESB again...it seems as if even a full blown ISD can run circles around the Enterprise-D
As demonstrated when two Star Destroyers sideswiped each other, huh? :roll:
His Divine Shadow

DarkStar wrote:As demonstrated when two Star Destroyers sideswiped each other, huh? :roll:
Thats rather irrelevant isn't it as it was primarly an issue of human reaction speed rather than the ability of the ship itself, but he was speaking to people with a brain, you may sit back down again.
DarkStar
Village Idiot

Post by DarkStar »

starfury wrote: the ST ship however has the much harder job of trying to dodge all that weapon fire which can hit 10 meter targets quite easily. :P
Given the numerous misses by a TF battleship against Amidala's Royal Yacht in TPM at a range of about 60km, the numerous misses by an ISD against the Millenium Falcon in the asteroid chase scene at point-blank range (http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/given/by/bigblt1.jpg, http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/given/by/flcpass2.gif), et cetera, I wouldn't say they can hit 10m things easily at all.. If anything, these examples of ships moving almost directly toward and almost directly away from one another suggest horrendous accuracy. There's also the ANH:SE scene with one of the Death Star's turrets wildly missing two slow-moving X-Wings that are flying right toward it.

For non-capship examples, the various wide misses by TIE fighters in ANH versus the X-Wings come to mind. And, I trust I need not even mention Slave I versus the Jedi Fighter in AoTC, where Jango's shooting was so bad Boba actually sounded surprised when hits were made ("You got him!?!"). Then there's the scene which Poe describes as the Falcon chasing down TIEs, where the Falcon actually hits the friendly ship more than it hits the TIEs: http://h4h.com/louis/falconti.mov

And, of course, there's that pesky effective range limit on the MF: http://ocean.otr.usm.edu/~randers2/STSWwarsrange.html
DarkStar
Village Idiot

Post by DarkStar »

Unfortunately, this is usually never observed in the canon visuals, except for the scene of a blaster vs. Luke's hand and an ISD vs. an asteroid. All other examples I am aware of point to bolt=damage.
DarkStar
Village Idiot

Post by DarkStar »

His Divine Shadow wrote:
DarkStar wrote:As demonstrated when two Star Destroyers sideswiped each other, huh? :roll:
Thats rather irrelevant isn't it as it was primarly an issue of human reaction speed rather than the ability of the ship itself,
You mean no one noticed that they were on a collision course, despite those big bridge windows? http://h4h.com/louis/imp2.jpg
DarkStar
Village Idiot

Post by DarkStar »

Evil Jerk wrote:I really don't see ST ships maneuvering that well though.
They certainly TRY to maneuver like fighters, but they don't really pull it off convincingly, most of the time I only see some lethargic turns.
Might I suggest the "What You Leave Behind" collection?

http://stardock.hispeed.com/movies/movies.shtml
Lord of the Farce
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord of the Farce »

DarkStar wrote: Given the numerous misses by a TF battleship against Amidala's Royal Yacht in TPM at a range of about 60km, the numerous misses by an ISD against the Millenium Falcon in the asteroid chase scene at point-blank range, et cetera, I wouldn't say they can hit 10m things easily at all..
Funny you give those two as examples, seeing as in both they were trying to capture, not kill.
If anything, these examples of ships moving almost directly toward and almost directly away from one another suggest horrendous accuracy. There's also the ANH:SE scene with one of the Death Star's turrets wildly missing two slow-moving X-Wings that are flying right toward it.
Jamming and low target profile (while a X-Wing might be 10 to 15 meters long and roughly that wide, the exposed surface area from all axis is very small).
And, I trust I need not even mention Slave I versus the Jedi Fighter in AoTC, where Jango's shooting was so bad Boba actually sounded surprised when hits were made ("You got him!?!").
Jango's shooting was "so bad"? You must have been watching a different version of AOTC from me, because I can quite vividly recall that no shot went past the Jedi Fighter on any side by about a couple of meters at most. And it was more like Boba exclaimed out loud when one of the shots punched through the Jedi Fighter's shields.
Then there's the scene which Poe describes as the Falcon chasing down TIEs, where the Falcon actually hits the friendly ship more than it hits the TIEs
Ever tried to shoot a gun while holding it out to the side? We don't know who was manning the turrets of the Falcon (if there was anyone), but we do know that jamming was in effect.
And, of course, there's that pesky effective range limit on the MF: http://ocean.otr.usm.edu/~randers2/STSWwarsrange.html
So a smuggler's freighter is suppose to be your all damning evidence of SW ships' weapon range? :lol:
"Intelligent Design" Not Accepted by Most Scientists
Lord of the Farce
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord of the Farce »

DarkStar wrote:
Evil Jerk wrote:I really don't see ST ships maneuvering that well though.
They certainly TRY to maneuver like fighters, but they don't really pull it off convincingly, most of the time I only see some lethargic turns.
Might I suggest the "What You Leave Behind" collection?

http://stardock.hispeed.com/movies/movies.shtml
Can't be bothered checking out the link, but from memory, there was something in the DS9 finale with the Defiant pulling a loop... and taking a little over five seconds to do it, despite the fact that it was moving at low speed (you can tell because the others ships that were in front to start off with remain almost exactly the same size, where if everyone had been moving at high speeds the Defiant would have fallen at least a bit behind).
"Intelligent Design" Not Accepted by Most Scientists
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Hhahahah the Trade Federation battleship incident is an example of SW inaccuracy?!

Where they were aiming to capture- and did the following:

- took out the shield generator instead of blowing the whole ship to smithereens
- blasted off every astromech droid attempting to repair the shield generator- consistently; except for R2 of course who managed to get the shields back on in time before the trade fed gunners blew him off too.

Good one Darkstar :twisted:

And of course- I'd love to see a 600m ship dodge a HTL- because they're so small and hard to hit, don't you know- I can see the trekkie logic now:

15m long X-Wing hard to hit with turrets designed for destroying capital ships

ergo

600m long Enterprise-E hard to hit with turrets designed for destroying capital ships

Riiiiiiggghhhhht.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
starfury
Jedi Master

Post by starfury »

another beliver in that one must have rambo like accuary to be able to shoot well, idiot :lol:
"a single death is a tragedy, a million deaths are a statistic"-Joseph Stalin

"No plan survives contact with the enemy"-Helmuth Von Moltke

"Women prefer stories about one person dying slowly. Men prefer stories of many people dying quickly."-Niles from Frasier.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

DarkStar wrote:
Unfortunately, this is usually never observed in the canon visuals, except for the scene of a blaster vs. Luke's hand and an ISD vs. an asteroid. All other examples I am aware of point to bolt=damage.
Ummm.... If you watch RotJ, there are other shots that do damage before the bolt reaches the target. The scene in which the Nebulon B frigate (since you don't accept non-canon stuff, the Medical frigate) is engaging the Star Destroyer, there are two shots with explosions before the bolt hits. In TPM, I know of two other incidents in which this is observed. One is when the Naboo forces in Theed open fire on the Battle Droids there, and one is in the Gungan battle. If you watch closely, you will see evidence of damage before the bolt actually hits. I also like how, when you acknowledge that we have seen this in canon visuals, you ignore it because we have only seen it in a few.

His Divine Shadow

DarkStar wrote:You mean no one noticed that they were on a collision course, despite those big bridge windows? http://h4h.com/louis/imp2.jpg
It would have involved the operator notifying the captain, who then had to order evasive action, wich it did, and wich was what happened.
DarkStar
Village Idiot

Post by DarkStar »

Lord of the Farce wrote:
DarkStar wrote: Given the numerous misses by a TF battleship against Amidala's Royal Yacht in TPM at a range of about 60km, the numerous misses by an ISD against the Millenium Falcon in the asteroid chase scene at point-blank range, et cetera, I wouldn't say they can hit 10m things easily at all..
Funny you give those two as examples, seeing as in both they were trying to capture, not kill.
They did want to hit the ship, did they not?
Jamming and low target profile (while a X-Wing might be 10 to 15 meters long and roughly that wide, the exposed surface area from all axis is very small).
No, you don't understand. They missed wide. Not even the same ballpark.
And, I trust I need not even mention Slave I versus the Jedi Fighter in AoTC, where Jango's shooting was so bad Boba actually sounded surprised when hits were made ("You got him!?!").
Jango's shooting was "so bad"?
There I go giving people too much credit again . . .
You must have been watching a different version of AOTC from me, because I can quite vividly recall that no shot went past the Jedi Fighter on any side by about a couple of meters at most.
Whatever, dude.
http://ocean.otr.usm.edu/~randers2/STSWasterosmack.html
And it was more like Boba exclaimed out loud when one of the shots punched through the Jedi Fighter's shields.
It was the first time shots had been fired that could hope to hit the hull.
Then there's the scene which Poe describes as the Falcon chasing down TIEs, where the Falcon actually hits the friendly ship more than it hits the TIEs
Ever tried to shoot a gun while holding it out to the side? We don't know who was manning the turrets of the Falcon (if there was anyone), but we do know that jamming was in effect.
Aim the guns dead-forward, put a crosshair on the cockpit window, and don't shoot when there's a friendly behind the target. Was this concept lost over the 25,000 years of galactic civilization?
So a smuggler's freighter is suppose to be your all damning evidence of SW ships' weapon range? :lol:
Nope. It's a first example. I'm just getting started. Hence that big fat "More to Come . . . " sitting at the bottom of the page. :roll:
DarkStar
Village Idiot

Post by DarkStar »

Lord of the Farce wrote: Can't be bothered checking out the link,
Well, then . . . 'scuuuse me.
but from memory, there was something in the DS9 finale with the Defiant pulling a loop... and taking a little over five seconds to do it, despite the fact that it was moving at low speed
Low speed? Ten seconds before that she was moving at 1km/sec or better, while chasing a Breen ship. The loop was an effort to take care of some JH ships on their tail. The loop obviously does not represent their maximum turning ability, since the ship turned about 90 degrees up and a bit to the side in about half a second in the 3rd part of the clip that you can't be bothered to look at.
(you can tell because the others ships that were in front to start off with remain almost exactly the same size, where if everyone had been moving at high speeds the Defiant would have fallen at least a bit behind).
That makes absolutely no sense. Those are enemy ships, and we do not know their velocity. Indeed, from the clips I have, I can't even tell the direction of travel.