I need some debate help

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Srelex
Jedi Master

Re: I need some debate help

Post by Srelex »

hunter5 wrote:
You said the storm troopers were winning until their own technology was taken and used against them. I assume your post was to make them sound good right? Instead you just exposed another weakness of theirs. At least star trek has command codes that allow them to disable technology when it falls into the hands of an enemy.
This is perhaps the dumbest argument I have ever heard in my life. :lol:
What did you say to that? :lol:
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

First I told him ok so you concede that trek ground forces can't win on their own and will have to resort to stealing Imperial equipment to win. And I also listed a bunch of times when the star trek command codes just didn't exists.
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

Oh he brings up a semi good point about the Krenim time-ship from Voyager. I have no idea how Wars would counter that one.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

You don't have to. Its a one episode wonder that erased itself from the timeline by the end of the two part episode it showed up in. Its completely unreasonable to expect it to ever show up again, let alone to expect Starfleet to just up and make one on a moments notice. For that matter, how do they know that the krenim time weapon would even work on the Empire? If those morons had even watched "Year of Hell" they would know that the Krenim found it extraordinarily difficult to use effectively, as they could never predict what it would actually do to the timeline. The damn thing destroyed its own creators homeworld and made their enemies even stronger, for satans sake! The entirety of the villain's motive was to repair the damage to his own civilization caused by using the thing. Starfleet wouldn't touch that with thirty mile pole even if they could.

No matter what they do, the Empire has thousands of years of technological development on their side. The krenim weapon can't change that. Basically that argument has all the same issues as any other time-travel argument. How does causality work? Why don't they use the sun-slingshot trick more often? Maybe its because they can't. Of course, this never occurs to this kind of moron.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

hunter5 wrote:
You said the storm troopers were winning until their own technology was taken and used against them. I assume your post was to make them sound good right? Instead you just exposed another weakness of theirs. At least star trek has command codes that allow them to disable technology when it falls into the hands of an enemy.
In TWOK, the command code was a simple 5 digit number.

In TNG Peak Performance, Worf manages to crack the computer of a Ferengi vessel without knowing their codes (like they did the Ent-D) and fool their sensors into scanning Federation Starships.

They have voice command codes, but in Voyager's time it's shown that the lockout doesn't include voice recognition, which is evidenced by Neelix using someone else's password to break into someone's computer in their personal quarters. (I forget the episode)

I can't cite other examples off the top of my head, but computer security in Star Trek seems pretty weak.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

This is not in the same thread (it's in a thread called 100 Breen vs 100 STormtroopers) but this gem from Marshall8472 could not be ignored. My reply:
Marshall8472 wrote:Remember what luke said? "I can't see a thing in this helmet" there's another storm trooper weakness you can add to the list. How can it be comfortable to not be able to see a thing in the helmet during battle?
You do realize that the helmet Luke was referrring to was STOLEN, right? And Leia even said "You look a little short for a Stormtrooper." Ever consider Luke could have a small head and the helmet might not have fit properly?

This guy is a fucking idiot. :roll:
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Darth Lucifer wrote:
hunter5 wrote:
In TWOK, the command code was a simple 5 digit number.

In TNG Peak Performance, Worf manages to crack the computer of a Ferengi vessel without knowing their codes (like they did the Ent-D) and fool their sensors into scanning Federation Starships.

They have voice command codes, but in Voyager's time it's shown that the lockout doesn't include voice recognition, which is evidenced by Neelix using someone else's password to break into someone's computer in their personal quarters. (I forget the episode)

I can't cite other examples off the top of my head, but computer security in Star Trek seems pretty weak.
And in "Basics" Pt II Seska was able to disable all Starfleet voice access by simply telling the computer to, she didn't even need to supply any codes herself.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Darth Lucifer wrote:This is not in the same thread (it's in a thread called 100 Breen vs 100 STormtroopers) but this gem from Marshall8472 could not be ignored. My reply:
Marshall8472 wrote:Remember what luke said? "I can't see a thing in this helmet" there's another storm trooper weakness you can add to the list. How can it be comfortable to not be able to see a thing in the helmet during battle?
You do realize that the helmet Luke was referrring to was STOLEN, right? And Leia even said "You look a little short for a Stormtrooper." Ever consider Luke could have a small head and the helmet might not have fit properly?

When I pushed him on the issue of no Starfleet personnel wearing body armour in the Dominion war, he said that armour might be incorporated into their uniforms as they "seemed kinda thick" :lol:
Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
Darth Lucifer wrote:This is not in the same thread (it's in a thread called 100 Breen vs 100 STormtroopers) but this gem from Marshall8472 could not be ignored. My reply:

When I pushed him on the issue of no Starfleet personnel wearing body armour in the Dominion war, he said that armour might be incorporated into their uniforms as they "seemed kinda thick" :lol:
Then that must mean that if the uniforms are that thick, then Starfleet personnel are extremely underfed, indicating that the UFP can't even feed it's own military! :lol:
"No, no, no, no! Light speed's too slow! Yes, we're gonna have to go right to... Ludicrous speed!"
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Actually the Dominion War Era uniforms ARE kinda thick-compared to the PJs that preceded them. Not that I see why that would make them qualify as 'armour' given that all that does is POSSIBLY make them actually qualify as a field uniform for the first time in TNG.
Especially as I don't recall them being any more resistant to damage-thermal, kinetic, or technobabble-than the old PJs were.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

There not but you can tell that Trekkies get stupid when they make their crates out of weapon proof material and ignore their own bodies.
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

I am about to give up he is just on a circular tract. :banghead:
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Vee. THAT certainly comes as a shock. :P Welcome to the Vs debate. :D
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

It was fun when they kept bring up new points then it just got stupid.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

For a rather narrow definition of 'new', anyway :wink:
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Given they won't let go of the Krenim ship despite the fact that it's been erased, as well as its absurd premise, that shows you how desperate they are.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Which, once more, shouldn't come as as anything of a surprise.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Have they started blind ad hominims yet? That's when you know they're truly desperate.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

Oh they have been doing that for a while. Nothing really bad mostly off hand remarks about us being kids.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

hunter5 wrote:Oh they have been doing that for a while. Nothing really bad mostly off hand remarks about us being kids.
An insult does not an ad hominim make. Them calling you kids is just par for the course.

When they start dismissing you for no other reason than you "just being kids" then they've started playing the ad hominim game.
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

Srelex
Jedi Master

Post by Srelex »

hunter5 wrote:http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSW-WeaponRange ... olenceTCW1 Dark star has updated his website.
What's his point? That's still pretty damn marksman like compared to Star Trek, and he seems to be forgetting the concepts of ECM and jamming.
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

Srelex wrote:
hunter5 wrote:http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSW-WeaponRange ... olenceTCW1 Dark star has updated his website.
What's his point? That's still pretty damn marksman like compared to Star Trek, and he seems to be forgetting the concepts of ECM and jamming.
More like ignoring it because it damages his point.
marsh8472
Youngling

Post by marsh8472 »

^star wars vs star trek

hey you guys should have mentioned you argued my points here too. I would have gladly came.
hogie1
Redshirt

Post by hogie1 »

wouldn't the fact that the ship affects time, mean that it could only affect things in its own time line and there fore be worthless in a fight against other things from other time lines
all i have to say Arthur is this... SPOON