Would ion cannons affect ST ships?

SWvST: the subject of the main site.

Moderator: Vympel

Trekdestroyer
Racist Donkey-Raping Son of a Whore

Would ion cannons affect ST ships?

Post by Trekdestroyer »

I have always considered what would happen should a st ship be shot with an ion cannon. I have heard all kinds of claims about what might happen so thus I will hear some opinions first.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Seeing what Ion storms do to Trek ships I think that an ion cannon would "Do really bad things" to a Trek ship.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Re: Would ion cannons affect ST ships?

Post by Praxis »

Trekdestroyer wrote:I have always considered what would happen should a st ship be shot with an ion cannon. I have heard all kinds of claims about what might happen so thus I will hear some opinions first.
It'd probably destroy it.

1) Ions generally wreack havoc with ST ships, either knocking them about like leaves or peircing the shields easily or causing malfunctions or setting off cloaking devices or things like that.
2) Ion cannons are supposed to unleash blasts that overwhelm ever Star Wars shields and electronics. Don't even think about what it'd to to Trek.
3) Star Wars ships can loose all power and hold together. If a Star Trek ship loses power to the warp core, the containment field fails and it explodes.

From these 3 points, I'd say a few ion cannon blasts would disable the ship and if ONE SHOT got through to engineering past the shields, the whole ship would go up when the core breaches.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Re: Would ion cannons affect ST ships?

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Praxis wrote:3) Star Wars ships can loose all power and hold together. If a Star Trek ship loses power to the warp core, the containment field fails and it explodes.
For some Federation vessels. I think the E-E has held up nicely in what is normally warp-core exploding instances. Then again, we are talking about an near-instantaneous loss of power.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Warp cores aren't nearly as fragile as is commonly believed. For starters Voyager crash landed on an ice planet and remained without power and with the lower decks crushed for more then a decade and yet there was no warp core breach.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Alyeska wrote:Warp cores aren't nearly as fragile as is commonly believed. For starters Voyager crash landed on an ice planet and remained without power and with the lower decks crushed for more then a decade and yet there was no warp core breach.
Could the crew- or safties- have transferred the antimatter to the storage tanks?

It wasn't an immediate sudden power loss, correct?
The Silence and I
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Silence and I »

The Defiant has lost power on more than one occasion IIRC without core breach too. The magnetic fields are supposedly based on superconducting coils, and do not degrade. A simple loss of power should not be a problem, although other conditions may cause the fields to degrade for no good RL reason.

As to the topic at hand, I forsee bad things. Very bad things resulting from an ion weapon. It may downright disable the shields, overload the computer core and go from there.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

An E-d Run of the Galaxy Class would likely explode. Most other ships, might likely have other problems. Its shown in Star Trek IV that TOS era ships can stay togather under sudden power losses. Trek ships do tend to have nasty things happen to them when ions hit them, as in Ion storms ect, so the ship might have large hole shot in it by the ion beam.

It the Ion cannon was to make a direct hit on the Warp core almost any Federation ship would be in a lot of trouble not from the loss of power but in the loss of vitale parts of the Warp core.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

Alyeska wrote:Warp cores aren't nearly as fragile as is commonly believed. For starters Voyager crash landed on an ice planet and remained without power and with the lower decks crushed for more then a decade and yet there was no warp core breach.
Wouldn't an ion cannon cause the containment fields to fail?
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

It isn't a matter of 'Warp core bashing'. It's a matter of catastrophic failure of systems like containment. Antimatter does not work and play well with others. There's no real escaping that fact.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Sharp-kun wrote:
Wouldn't an ion cannon cause the containment fields to fail?
Well they based magnetics and ion cannons have at least seconary EMP effects. So if not outright fail, the containment interfared by a ion cannon hit.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

The Silence and I wrote: A simple loss of power should not be a problem, although other conditions may cause the fields to degrade for no good RL reason.
Such as a massive ion bombardment and energy overload?
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Well, the bridge crew of the Trek vessel would be killed due to exploding consoles, as well as many members of the crew in the corridors because of the computer interface exploding. The ship would be totally knocked out of commission, and it's quite possible that ion blasts would lead to warp core breach as the containment field would shut down due to power loss and erratic computers.
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

let's not forget Ion Radiation poisoning
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Gustav32Vasa
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Gustav32Vasa »

Solauren wrote:let's not forget Ion Radiation poisoning
:wtf:
The Silence and I
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Silence and I »

Praxis wrote:
The Silence and I wrote: A simple loss of power should not be a problem, although other conditions may cause the fields to degrade for no good RL reason.
Such as a massive ion bombardment and energy overload?
Potentially...but unlikely. Ion storms are considered dangerous, but the reason IIRC has more to do with computer systems and structual integreity. Ion storms are like the pen-ultimate thunderstorm; the "winds" knock starships about like leaves and shake them apart...at least, that is what I've inferred, as I do not believe we have seen anyone try to navigate one. This strays into writer's intent, but basically the writers wanted something that would sound dangerous, so they called it a storm and threw in "ion" to make it futuristic.
The original Galaxy run, on the other hand, is very easily destroyed by power surges/overload.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

The only problem with the Ion storms in Star Trek was how often they got caught in one. I mean if you see an Ion storm coming why not just go to warp and get away from it or go around it. After all most of the Ion storms in the series and books were usally smaller than a solar system.
Except I do rember one episode of TOS where the storm was light years across.

At least the small storms had little affect on the ships on the bigger intense storms did. Unless of course you were in a shuttle craft that couldn't outrun a 33000 kph storm.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

The Silence and I wrote:The Defiant has lost power on more than one occasion IIRC without core breach too. The magnetic fields are supposedly based on superconducting coils, and do not degrade. A simple loss of power should not be a problem, although other conditions may cause the fields to degrade for no good RL reason.
Wouldn't help. The coils may be superconducting, but the cooling system to keep their temperature low enough to maintain superconductivity still needs power. They probably use batteries to maintain the containment. StarTrek can store energy at high densities for large periods of time, it seems. A large bank of batteries could keep the fields on the antimatter storage and warp core working.

However, none of that matters if the batteries themselves get their shit ruined by the Ion Cannon blast. Then they are dicked.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

If hit by ion cannon fire a first generation Galaxy class starship would suffer a warp core breach and blow up. Other ships probobly wont blow up since they have demonstrated they maintain antimatter containment even when all systems are shut down (Voyger surviving under a glacier). The main problem that trek ships hit by ion cannon fire will be losing power to all systems. A ship could be disabled.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

An Ion cannon blast has enough raw power to overwhelm the shields of a SD, then the charged plasma causes the EMP as a tertiary effect. That's gonna destroy the ship long before AM containment becomes an issue.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
nasor
Youngling

Post by nasor »

Whaaa?
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

nasor wrote:
Whaaa?
Alpha and beta radiation (or if your perfer contamination). Bad juju my friend.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
nasor
Youngling

Post by nasor »

Ender wrote:
nasor wrote:
Whaaa?
Alpha and beta radiation (or if your perfer contamination). Bad juju my friend.
Those are both the result of nuclear processes that don't really have anything to do with ionization, so I’m not sure why either would be called ‘ion radiation poisoning’.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

nasor wrote:Those are both the result of nuclear processes that don't really have anything to do with ionization, so I’m not sure why either would be called ‘ion radiation poisoning’.
well Alfa radiation is electrons and Beta is ionized helium(without the electrons) . Gamma is the only one that wouldn't be a byproduct of inionzation, since it EM radiation.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

The Shadow wrote:Other ships probobly wont blow up since they have demonstrated they maintain antimatter containment even when all systems are shut down (Voyger surviving under a glacier).
As said, those systems are likely dependent on things like batteries to prevent core breaches. An ion blast would fuck them up Containment needs some form of powered system to work.