Whats next, or would be next

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Whats next, or would be next

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Since this was the "final adventure" for the TNG crew what Trek movie would or could go next? Not that anyone is looking forward to having one soon but say Enterprise gets cancelled tomorrow, B&B die in a tragic car accident when Berman tries to use technobabble to fix the brakes before tumbling over a cliff (which won't work when sabotaged by a rabid trekkie).

5-10, maybe 20 years later Paramount wants to do a new film, what about?
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

A snuff film with B&B as the stars?
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

I can't imagine what it'd be about.

DS9? B&B hate Avery Brooks
Voyager? They got home, what else are you gonna do?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

20 years from now, it will be even worse. Paramount will NOT have the sense to hire GOOD writers and producers, and the "new" ST will be total, complete shit. It fails horribly, convincing Paramount that ST is dead and we never hear of ST ever again.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Yeah, that does sound shitty, maybe they'll run it so far into the ground that they'll decide to throw it away. Then Lucasarts can buy the rights and make a good Crossover movie.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
BenRG
Padawan Learner

Door A or B

Post by BenRG »

There are two options for Trek XII.

The first one is an 'Enterprise' film. It seems more and more probable that ENT is going to get canned. I'm sure that the Doltish Duo have a folder full of story ideas for the full seven seasons. Get their best cross-season cliffhanger idea and turn it into a 2-hour movie. Ever since 'First Contact', I've got the feeling that the movies have basically been sweeps-2-hour-special-episodes moved to the big screen.

The second option is to drive the entire current writing team out onto the street with whips and scourges. After finding some decent writers (check any number of LA McDonalds or Pizza Hut franchises, you'll find them eventually... cooking or behind the counter :D ). Then put together a completely new series from which you can ultimately draw the crew for a future feature film.

The big question in writing a new series is: Should it be post-Endgame, pre-TOS or AU?
BenRG - Liking Star Trek doesn't mean you have to think the Federation stands a chance!

~*~*~*~

Waiting for the New Republic to attack the Federation
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Post by Raoul Duke, Jr. »

Uraniun235 wrote:20 years from now, it will be even worse. Paramount will NOT have the sense to hire GOOD writers and producers, and the "new" ST will be total, complete shit. It fails horribly, convincing Paramount that ST is dead and we never hear of ST ever again.
'Scuse me, pal. but have you missed every TNG film, Voy and Enterprise? It's already happened.
Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

Re: Door A or B

BenRG wrote:There are two options for Trek XII.

The first one is an 'Enterprise' film. It seems more and more probable that ENT is going to get canned. I'm sure that the Doltish Duo have a folder full of story ideas for the full seven seasons. Get their best cross-season cliffhanger idea and turn it into a 2-hour movie. Ever since 'First Contact', I've got the feeling that the movies have basically been sweeps-2-hour-special-episodes moved to the big screen.

The second option is to drive the entire current writing team out onto the street with whips and scourges. After finding some decent writers (check any number of LA McDonalds or Pizza Hut franchises, you'll find them eventually... cooking or behind the counter :D ). Then put together a completely new series from which you can ultimately draw the crew for a future feature film.

The big question in writing a new series is: Should it be post-Endgame, pre-TOS or AU?
Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing a series made of Riker's ship, the Titan. Presuming, of course, that Bollocks and Buttocks get the size nine leather enema they deserve and some decent writing talent can be acquired, Star Trek: Titan could be a good deal.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

New Frontier, just make that series and you are golden (as long as B&B has some sort of restrainnig order on then and Paramount are willing to not play it safe).

It would have everything - Main series story arc like DS9 but much better, a crew with less humans than aliens, the crew themselves have conflict between them, old style TOS action with a captain willing to take the sword of his ready room wall and go bust some heads, battles that rely on tactics instead of technobabble (another thing similiar to TOS) in fact then entire series of books reminds me of TOS but with a longer arc added in (for both the stories and characters).

You then make the film about that after having the show going for 7 seasons, shame it will never happen :( .
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

I read the first 4 books of new frontier are they any good after the fourth? Might check em out.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Yeah the first four are just short stories really (I actually read them in the big combined edition) after that they take on normal lenght of trek books (about 300 pages) although I remember at least one hardback.

I would rate the series as very good indeed and is well worth reading but then again I am a fan of Peter Davids work (in both trek and B5).
Crazy_Vasey
Jedi Council Member

Post by Crazy_Vasey »

I'll check em out in local library then (Trek stuff is about the only sci-fi they have but they have LOTS of it)
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Why does a new ST show have to even involve the Federation now that I think about it, Maybe you get a ship that operates kinda like the Millenium Falcon or the Firefly or even the Bebop and have it running around making a mockery of military types. Characters too dumb to come up with technobabble yet smart enough to know how to operate illegal weapons.

A human preferably one with frowned upon genetic/cybernetic enhancements, a vulcan scarred by emotional trauma with a tendency towards violence, one alien of a rare and reculsive species (Breen), no Klingons!, and the great great great grandaughter of Mr Scott who isn't one of those model/actress types with huge tits but yest still so fuckin cute you wanna cover her in frosting and.... oh my

Star Trek: Untamed Space, has a ring to it, maybe even story possibilities

Baron Mordo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baron Mordo »

I'd like to see a Star Trek series with a captain that's NOT an American. In fact I'd like to see the exact opposite. I want a Libyan captain. You know, to show how well people of different races can work together. That is the message they're trying to put across in Trek, right? Infinite Diversity and all that hokum? There has never, EVER been a character of middle eastern nationality or descent in Star Trek. Just once, I'd like to see a non-alpha-white-male/token-black-man/gravelly-smoker-voiced-schoolmarm in the captain's chair.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Isn't Bashir of Middle Eastern descent? and Picard isn't American, he's french but sounds British(don't know how that happened)
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Picard is indeed french but Patrick Stewart has non curable british accent tho

TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

While I couldn't swear to it I think Bashir is also British (mainly his fathers accent).
Also his accent is British sounding aswell (although not as much) not surprising since the actor who played him grew up in England.

And what happened is that after WW3 Britain just got so ticked off at France for surrending in the first five minutes (again) that we went over there and imposed some imperial rule upon them and using a long process of selective breeding and indoctrination we were able to instill some back bone into the frogs :D .
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

maybe the united states before 1900, nowadays there are too many liberals in the government. Nowadays we go out of our way to be nice, almost too much, we wont bomb enemies during the holidays while they wouldn't hesitate to nuke Rockefeller Center while they lit up the tree.

My theory is that English just became the standard language on Earth. Even though French and Spanish are the most widely spoken languages, English is considered the international business language and in many countires worldwide English is required learning for all students, Especially in Europe and Far East Asia. That, and since English speaking explorers were the first to make it into space and contact the Vulcans Earth probably had to decide on one language or another.

Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

FaxModem1 wrote:Picard isn't American, he's french but sounds British(don't know how that happened)
Mostly likely WW3 began with a French rout and surrender like always and the British didn't give it back to them this time.
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

FaxModem1 wrote:Isn't Bashir of Middle Eastern descent?
AFIAK Bashir's ethnic ancestry hasn't been addressed but the actor is of Sudanese-British extraction and in the absense of information to the contrary it's reasonable to guess that Bashir comes from the same general ethnic mix.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

Assuming that our enemy would be an entire race or culture I guess you're right. But the US wasn't out to kill each and every last Japanese they were out to defeat the Japanese military and government, so it wouldn't have been Genocide in the truest sense but I still concede the point.

Raoul Duke, Jr.
BANNED

TheDarkling wrote:While I couldn't swear to it I think Bashir is also British (mainly his fathers accent).
Also his accent is British sounding aswell (although not as much) not surprising since the actor who played him grew up in England.

And what happened is that after WW3 Britain just got so ticked off at France for surrending in the first five minutes (again) that we went over there and imposed some imperial rule upon them and using a long process of selective breeding and indoctrination we were able to instill some back bone into the frogs :D .
Unless I'm very much mistaken, Alexander Siddig is Sudanese; probably Bashir is as well, since there's nothing to contradict it.
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Raoul Duke, Jr. wrote:
TheDarkling wrote:While I couldn't swear to it I think Bashir is also British (mainly his fathers accent).

Unless I'm very much mistaken, Alexander Siddig is Sudanese; probably Bashir is as well, since there's nothing to contradict it.
Except for the reasons I mentioned.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Wasn't Bashir's father in DS9 a Scouser?