Can Star Trek stand up to LotR?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Like a frat boy at a binge-drinking contest.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Having just seen TTT, "Nemesis" doesn't even deserve to make five million this weekend. It's completely out of its league.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

I'd really like to know how much TTT made today.

:mrgreen:
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

Given that, for the first time since I came to West Virginia and saw the local multiplex, it was sold out of all showings of TTT, and the lines for into the theatre started an hour before(And were halfdown to the lobby at that time), and there wasn't a peep or beep from the Nemesis pit, I think it may be over, with Nemesis' bloody corpse being somewhere among the Uruk's.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
CNS Sarajevo
Youngling

Post by CNS Sarajevo »

I saw Nemesis last night because I figured the lines would be short and I could get a good seat. The theater was a ghost town because it was between shows of TTT. The theater I was in had somewhere around two dozen people, total. On the way out, it was a mob scene, because the next shows of TTT were going in. I've never seen anything like it.
I love the smell of BDZ in the morning.

"If the battle cannot be won without me, then I will be brought on deck."
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

The TTT gross figures are up on the-numbers.com. TTT's opening day outstripped STX's entire run to date by almost six million US dollars.

STX = dead on arrival.
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
C.S.Strowbridge
Sore Loser

Post by C.S.Strowbridge »

Enlightenment wrote:The TTT gross figures are up on the-numbers.com. TTT's opening day outstripped STX's entire run to date by almost six million US dollars.

STX = dead on arrival.
And those number are 45% better than the first one. Looks like it will be worst than I thought.
SirNitram
Rest in Peace, Black Mage

Post by SirNitram »

C.S.Strowbridge wrote:
Enlightenment wrote:The TTT gross figures are up on the-numbers.com. TTT's opening day outstripped STX's entire run to date by almost six million US dollars.

STX = dead on arrival.
And those number are 45% better than the first one. Looks like it will be worst than I thought.
Repeat business for TTT will now be called 'Bayonetting the survivors'.
Manic Progressive: A liberal who violently swings from anger at politicos to despondency over them.

Out Of Context theatre: Ron Paul has repeatedly said he's not a racist. - Destructinator XIII on why Ron Paul isn't racist.

Shadowy Overlord - BMs/Black Mage Monkey - BOTM/Jetfire - Cybertron's Finest/General Miscreant/ASVS/Supermoderator Emeritus

Debator Classification: Trollhunter
Andrew J.
Sith Marauder

Post by Andrew J. »

SirNitram wrote:
C.S.Strowbridge wrote:

STX = dead on arrival.
Repeat business for TTT will now be called 'Bayonetting the survivors'.
No, more like bayonetting them, shooting them in the head, and then dropping a 30-kiloton nuclear bomb on them. :lol:
Don't hate; appreciate!

RIP Eddie.
Next of Kin
Rabid Monkey

Post by Next of Kin »

Star Trek could learn a few things from LoTR. How to make an entertaining movie would be one of them.
Enlightenment
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Enlightenment »

Meanwhile....

http://the-numbers.com/charts/weekly/2002/20021220.html

Nemesis: "I'm melltinnng..."
It's not my place in life to make people happy. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to watch me slaughter cows you hold sacred. Don't talk to me unless you're prepared to have your basic assumptions challenged. If you want bunnies in light, talk to someone else.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

I saw The Two Towers at a midnight showing on Tuesday with ym cousin and friend. It was showing at midnight in five or more theatres at the local AMC 30. After the film was over, it took about a half hour to get out of the parking lot.

I'm fairly certain that Nemesis started screaming for its mama that night.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Admiral Griffith
Youngling

Post by Admiral Griffith »

aerius wrote:
neoolong wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:It all depends on repeat-viewers. Modern film box-office grosses are heavily dependent on teenagers seeing a movie 10 times. This is something that James Cameron demonstrated quite clearly to the world with Titanic; make a mediocre movie that teenagers will see 30 times apiece for whatever reason (dating, in the case of Titanic), and you will make zillions of dollars. Make a great movie that people only see once (eg- "The Usual Suspects"), and you will make modest money. And all points in between.
But in the age of DVD and large flat screen tvs, how likely is someone to watch a movie in the theater THAT many times?
Never underestimate the power of the lifeless teeny-bopper!! Ever wonder what happens when those kiddies have way too much time and money to burn? Wonder no more, they'll watch the movie over and over and over until they know every single line. It's sick I tell you, sick!
I don't think it's sick, but hey, i'm a teenager myself. saw AOTC in the theaters about, oh, 13 times.
It is not well for one to trifle in the affairs of the ancient Chinese generals, for they have a tendency to send armies of tens of thousands of warriors after those who challenge them.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Enlightenment wrote:Meanwhile....

Yeesh. This is too much to be a nail in the coffin. This is a freakin I-beam.
JADAFETWA
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

What scares me about that link is how much money the fucking Santa Clause 2 made. Like god .... even if it's been on for some 52 days, it still boggles the mind at how many ppl would watch that shit.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Vympel wrote:What scares me about that link is how much money the fucking Santa Clause 2 made. Like god .... even if it's been on for some 52 days, it still boggles the mind at how many ppl would watch that shit.
Never underestime the power of the whiny child.
JADAFETWA
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Enlightenment wrote:Meanwhile....

A 76% dropoff in the boxoffice take in just one week. That is very bad news by any standard. This movie's sinking fast.

What a way for a franchise to die.
Sir Nitram wrote:Repeat business for TTT will now be called 'Bayonetting the survivors'.
In the movie Dillinger (1971 —starring Warren Oats) Pretty Boy Floyd (Harry Dean Stanton) is stranded in a rural town, where Federal agents, county deputies, and ordinary townspeople are waiting to trap the gangster. Hit in the resulting shootout, Pretty Boy finds himself surrounded by the posse —all standing over him with their rifles, shotguns, pistols, and tommyguns— and asks for a doctor. Camera pulls back to a long-distance view as the entire posse opens up on Pretty Boy Floyd, blasting him to pieces.

That's the metaphor for what TTT is doing to STN. :twisted:
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

It will vanish from the theaters quickly.
And then, with it's vhs/dvd relase it will descend into the pit of the forgotten movies. Forever.
Supermod
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Sokar wrote:Can Nemesis stand up to TTT ?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAAHHHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats a good one..........Are you serious ? (I know your not :wink: )
Nemesis is going to be a dust fart in a hurricane next to TTT, I really think English lacks an adjective powerful enough to describe the beatdown level were talking here......
I think they may have had one during the roman invasion. :D

It may have been along the lines of

OH FUCK TIMES A BILLION!
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Admiral Griffith wrote:
aerius wrote:
neoolong wrote: But in the age of DVD and large flat screen tvs, how likely is someone to watch a movie in the theater THAT many times?
Never underestimate the power of the lifeless teeny-bopper!! Ever wonder what happens when those kiddies have way too much time and money to burn? Wonder no more, they'll watch the movie over and over and over until they know every single line. It's sick I tell you, sick!
I don't think it's sick, but hey, i'm a teenager myself. saw AOTC in the theaters about, oh, 13 times.
I saw LotR:TFotR about four or five times. I only paid once however :twisted:
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Cpt_Frank
Official SD.Net Evil Warsie Asshole

Post by Cpt_Frank »

NecronLord wrote: I saw LotR:TFotR about four or five times. I only paid once however :twisted:
Hid in the theater?
Supermod
Soulman
Padawan Learner

Post by Soulman »

As well as being far better TTT also appeals to a helluva lot more people. I went to see TTT on saturday and there was even a bunch of young laides there! Where as Nemesis will only appeal to relativly few.

They had at leats 1 year notice that TTT was going to be release in December, WHY THE HELL RELEASE A COMPETING FILM!!! Are they morons or something!
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Cpt_Frank wrote:
NecronLord wrote: I saw LotR:TFotR about four or five times. I only paid once however :twisted:
Hid in the theater?
LoL
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Sensibly, Nemesis isn't even being released in the UK for another fortnight, waiting until the initial rush for TTT has died off, and the people who would naturally watch it can fit it in between watching TTT again.

When it comes to totals, TTT had made $100,000,000 in the US by Sunday (and will probably have made at least $150,000,000 elsewhere)

It looks well set to follow the first one right up the all time charts.

Nemesis is not competition for it, Chamber of Secrets might be. (already the 17th highest grossing film in the world ever)