Phaser Rifles

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Silver
Youngling

Phaser Rifles

Post by Silver »

Personally I think it's nice that we finally get to see a phaser rifle with a decent rate of fire. The pathetic thing is, Picard's rifle broke in half when he wacked that Reman across the head! Even modern day rifles don't do that! Can you imagine if the Federation had tested that rifle like we do with current rifles (ie. driving over them with trucks, burying them in the mud then firing them, etc.)? That thing would fail horribly! What's some poor Fed soldier supposed to do when he drops for cover and accidentally lands on his rifle and breaking it? Throw the parts at the enemy? I know ALL sci-fi tends to get mocked for stupidity when it comes to military matters/tactics, but this phaser rifle breaking was just... WHO THE HELL COMES UP WITH THESE IDEAS :!: :?:
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

How was it broken?
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Silver
Youngling

Post by Silver »

Picard wacked a Reman across the head, then he holds it up with a look of consternation on his face. The stock has been cracked almost in half and is hanging loosely off the phaser rifle. Because Picard no longer fired any shots from the rifle (he threw it aside) we can probably come to the conclusion that was rendered inoperable by the crack.
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Re: Phaser Rifles

Post by Crayz9000 »

The only explanation is that the Federation utilizes composite casings and metal internal components. For example, suppose the casing was a thin carbon composite sheet formed into the proper shape: it would be strong, but very brittle.

Real military-grade weapons aren't supposed to break like child's toys, which is why the casings are made of metal.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Crayz9000 wrote:The only explanation is that the Federation utilizes composite casings and metal internal components. For example, suppose the casing was a thin carbon composite sheet formed into the proper shape: it would be strong, but very brittle.

Real military-grade weapons aren't supposed to break like child's toys, which is why the casings are made of metal.
Some of the internal components seem to have broken, at the same time. I've heard that some ceramic and titanium parts are being implemented into firearm construction, but those are designed to limit weight while maintaining stability and structural strength, and are only implemented into some of the many parts of firearms. I think that Alyeska's idea of a manufacturing flaw, and Darth Wong's idea of a slip-shod construction phase are the best ones we have, thusfar.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Crayz9000 wrote:The only explanation is that the Federation utilizes composite casings and metal internal components. For example, suppose the casing was a thin carbon composite sheet formed into the proper shape: it would be strong, but very brittle.

Some of the internal components seem to have broken, at the same time. I've heard that some ceramic and titanium parts are being implemented into firearm construction, but those are designed to limit weight while maintaining stability and structural strength, and are only implemented into some of the many parts of firearms. I think that Alyeska's idea of a manufacturing flaw, and Darth Wong's idea of a slip-shod construction phase are the best ones we have, thusfar.
Its the only way to explain the apparent strength of these same rifles in the previous two movies.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Alyeska wrote: Its the only way to explain the apparent strength of these same rifles in the previous two movies.
Exactly.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

So what you guys are basically saying is that Picard got a defective rifle?
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

It would make sense, if it were the same type that was used as a baseball bat in Insurrection.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:So what you guys are basically saying is that Picard got a defective rifle?
That or as Mike Wong pointed out its possible they tried to incorperate cheaper materials into the design and that caused it to fail. This is plausible given the age of the rifle and the apparent attempt to put it into mass production.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Heh, you know, DumbShit would never let us get away with something like that for Star Wars... :wink:
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Heh, you know, DumbShit would never let us get away with something like that for Star Wars... :wink:
DumbShit thinks that the superlaser imparts less than 25 gigatons of energy into a planet, yet totally destroys it with a single shot.

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Heh, you know, DumbShit would never let us get away with something like that for Star Wars... :wink:
DumbShit thinks that the superlaser imparts less than 25 gigatons of energy into a planet, yet totally destroys it with a single shot.
So he thinks that ISDs are capable of planet busting as well? :?: :!:

Sokar
Jedi Master

Post by Sokar »

I just saw it today , and my only explanation for the snapped phaser rifle is that the Federation must buy their guns from Mattel Toys
..... :shock:
BotM
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Alyeska wrote:
Master of Ossus wrote:
So he thinks that ISDs are capable of planet busting as well? :?: :!:
Remember, "NO NON-CANON STUFF except if it helps me."

Exonerate
Sith Marauder

Post by Exonerate »

Sokar wrote:I just saw it today , and my only explanation for the snapped phaser rifle is that the Federation must buy their guns from Mattel Toys
..... :shock:
Just as Godzilla 2000 had plastic figures for the monsters from KBToys?

BoTM, MM, HAB, JL