Question about the Federation

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

master_yoda
Rabid Monkey

Question about the Federation

Post by master_yoda »

In any movies or shows, was there any evidence of organised crime?
Brotherhood of the Monkey
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Not inside the Federation.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

The Ferengi were just Hutts without testicles.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

I think there was some corruption in the Federation that was partly organized crime.

However, there is mention of The Syndicate in DS9. O'Brien went undercover for Starfleet Intelligence to break them up. They seem to be pretty large and have to do with extortion, weapons smuggling, maybe assassination, etc.

I think the full name was The Orion Syndicate.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
Mr Flibble
Psychic Penguin

Post by Mr Flibble »

neoolong wrote:I think there was some corruption in the Federation that was partly organized crime.

However, there is mention of The Syndicate in DS9. O'Brien went undercover for Starfleet Intelligence to break them up. They seem to be pretty large and have to do with extortion, weapons smuggling, maybe assassination, etc.

I think the full name was The Orion Syndicate.
Yeah the Orion Syndicate is an organised crime group, but it seems to be based on New Sydney, which is outside of the federation. It probably operates in Fedeation space though, afterall why else would the federation be so concerned about it. It probably is based at New Sydney because it can operate with less interference than in the Federation. Some federations citizens (example Ezri's family) seem to set up corporations there (Ezri's family has a mining compny). IMO New Sydney could be a break away human colony that did not want to live under Federation communist rule, or it could be a 'special economic zone' klike Shanghai and Hong Kong are within China.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

I myself have always wondered about what goes on outside Starfleet. There have to be more choices for humans than proletariat or the military.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.