How much time has passed?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

How much time has passed?

Post by FaxModem1 »

How much time has passed between the VOY episode "Endgame" and Nemesis, because I'm wondering why the ships don't have Batmobile armor yet, that and transphasic torpedos.
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

Might be too expensive to deploy fleet wide.
Typhonis 1
Rabid Monkey Scientist
Location: deep within a secret cloning lab hidden in the brotherhood of the monkey thread

Post by Typhonis 1 »

Or they did try the Transphasic torps out and found they do jack to other ships.Als the armor may have gone before a commitiee to discuss its merits
Brotherhood of the Bear Monkey Clonemaster , Anti Care Bears League,
Bureaucrat and BOFH of the HAB,
Skunk Works director of the Mecha Maniacs,
Black Mage,

I AM BACK! let the SCIENCE commence!
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

I think it's more likely that they can't yet build it on a large scale. It's several decades more advanced and it's quite possible that the manufacturing technology isn't there yet to mass produce them.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Stormbringer wrote:I think it's more likely that they can't yet build it on a large scale. It's several decades more advanced and it's quite possible that the manufacturing technology isn't there yet to mass produce them.
Personally I think B&B just screwed up. We saw Voyager fire more torpedoes then the future Janeway could have brought back with her.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Alyeska wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:I think it's more likely that they can't yet build it on a large scale. It's several decades more advanced and it's quite possible that the manufacturing technology isn't there yet to mass produce them.
Personally I think B&B just screwed up. We saw Voyager fire more torpedoes then the future Janeway could have brought back with her.
I think that's the real reason.

The In-universe reason is most likely a production bottleneck. And you have to remember that old Janeway was still around to help and have the tech to do it. It's most likely they can't manufacture them.
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

I don't think that the "too expensive" thing is very accurate. Voyager and her crew, without the benefit of a space dock, rapidly outfitted the ship with batmobile armor and TPT's. The UFP should have been able to arm its most advanced warships with such weapons and equipment, earlier than they did.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

The most logical thing is that someone in the future let Voyager get home with this technology then promptly took away the technology shortly after Voyager returned home. The "present" day Starfleet would most certainly want the technology and it would have been seen in Nemesis had it existed. Its pretty damned clear they lost the technology. Well, its obvious that B&B fucked up, but this is the most logical explination really.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

The best explanation, I think, is that SF decided that to use the future weapons and armor would be to further pollute the timeline. Cough, cough.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Master of Ossus wrote:The best explanation, I think, is that SF decided that to use the future weapons and armor would be to further pollute the timeline. Cough, cough.

Except the current Federation has shown they don't really care much about the future, only the past. They would not be polluting anything. The only people who really care are those in the future. They removed the weapons from Voyager.

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Alyeska wrote:
Master of Ossus wrote:The best explanation, I think, is that SF decided that to use the future weapons and armor would be to further pollute the timeline. Cough, cough.

Except the current Federation has shown they don't really care much about the future, only the past. They would not be polluting anything. The only people who really care are those in the future. They removed the weapons from Voyager.
Oh, that's true. They do only care about violations of the past timeline. I have no idea why they would not implement these advancements.

Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Master of Ossus wrote:Oh, that's true. They do only care about violations of the past timeline. I have no idea why they would not implement these advancements.
Probably because there is some advanced tech they weren't provided that they need. Sure it's all well and good to have these cool new weapons but they have none of the supporting tech. It's probable that they just can't manufacture them on a large scale.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Stormbringer wrote:
Master of Ossus wrote:Oh, that's true. They do only care about violations of the past timeline. I have no idea why they would not implement these advancements.
Probably because there is some advanced tech they weren't provided that they need. Sure it's all well and good to have these cool new weapons but they have none of the supporting tech. It's probable that they just can't manufacture them on a large scale.
Except that Voyager with NO resources was able to produce them. The ONLY possible explination along your line of reasoning is that a small, but critical piece of technology was carried by the future Janeway and that Voyager used up most of it.

Stormbringer
King of Democracy

Post by Stormbringer »

Alyeska wrote:
Stormbringer wrote:
Except that Voyager with NO resources was able to produce them. The ONLY possible explination along your line of reasoning is that a small, but critical piece of technology was carried by the future Janeway and that Voyager used up most of it.
It's plausible that she did bring some key resources with her. I very much doubt she just brought the schematics and the crew built them out of nothing.