WTF? Where were the quantum torpedoes?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Captain Kruger
Padawan Learner
Location: REALITY: Las Vegas FANTASY: riding the Beast, guarding the Bucket's ass

WTF? Where were the quantum torpedoes?

Post by Captain Kruger »

Did anyone else think it odd that the E-E was using PHOTON torpedoes? There was no explanation whatsoever offered for them reverting back to the old torpedo tech. It was as if the film never acknowledged the quantums existing in the first place.

To be fair, I suppose I could see a reason for this. Aside from the USS Lakota, no older ships were seen to be refitted with quantum torpedoes throughout the entire Dominion War. They seemed to be the exclusive property of the Defiant and Sovereign classes. Maybe they were extremely expensive, which made it impractical to refit the entire fleet? Who the hell knows.

Maybe the high cost of manufacture left a very limited supply, which could explain why even the flagship could be stuck with photons for a while. Whatever the explanation might be, I expected to hear at least SOMETHING. If you want to believe the DS9 tech manual, quantums are supposed to have about twice the yield of equivalent-sized photons. This could have made a major difference in the battle with the Scimitar. The sudden lack of weapons that appeared to be standard armament for the E-E in her two previous outings deserved a damned explanation!

Ah, fuck...why even dwell on it? We're talking about the franchise that shows complete disregard for this little thing called continuity.
Take life by the balls!

The Universal Constants: death, taxes, and Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones sucking ass.

Mad
Jedi Council Member

Post by Mad »

Quantum torpedoes were there. The Enterprise fired quantum torpedoes (blue torps) from its forward launchers, and photon torpedoes (red/orange torps) from the rear launchers.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

It's entirely possible that they have a limited complement of quantum torpedoes that merely serves to augment their photon torpedos.

They also launched photon torpedoes from the front.

Also, given their atrocious accuracy with torpedoes, it's a good thing they saved their quantum torpedoes for the sure shots.
Captain Kruger
Padawan Learner
Location: REALITY: Las Vegas FANTASY: riding the Beast, guarding the Bucket's ass

Post by Captain Kruger »

Yeah, they loosed the quantums when they were on top of the thing and disabled the cloak...good point.
Take life by the balls!

The Universal Constants: death, taxes, and Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones sucking ass.

ViciousMink
Youngling

Post by ViciousMink »

The q-torps were fired from a launcher beneath the saucer portion. The photorps were fired from two locations: one just above the hangar bay, and one at the BOTTOM of the engineering hull, and both emplacements appeared to be double launchers -- possibly triple, since the salvos fired to the stern each appeared to be made up of three torps.
The Jedi asked, "What is balance for me as a servant of the Light?" The Master replied,"Balance is not what you seek. For you it is accepting that destruction is a part of the universe."
-- from Koans of the Silver Master
Founder, the Cult of Wilhelm. "Praise be to Wilhelm. AAAAIIIIUH!"
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Nope the photorp tubes on the front and rear are clearly double launchers.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller »

They definately fired two salvos of three torps each at one point, I am not sure if it was the forward or rear launcher.
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

That doesn't mean three tubes- the Enterprise-D was clearly capable of firing multiple salvos from its single tube, and the Enterprise-E can fire five-round bursts of quantums from its forward dish launcher.

It was just

tube1: fire
tube 2: fire
tube 1: fire

probably
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Uraniun235 wrote:
Also, given their atrocious accuracy with torpedoes, it's a good thing they saved their quantum torpedoes for the sure shots.
I'm thinking the Reman cloak was the reason behind the atrocious accuracy.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Someone should do a study in comparison with

TNG photorp accuracy
DS9 photorp accuracy

Insurrection has the E-E missing two photon torpedo shots against the Son'a ships chasing it IIRC.

It's probably ECM of some sort.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Vympel wrote:Someone should do a study in comparison with

TNG photorp accuracy
DS9 photorp accuracy

Insurrection has the E-E missing two photon torpedo shots against the Son'a ships chasing it IIRC.

It's probably ECM of some sort.
Actually in Insurrection the E-E fired two torpedoes, one at each Son'a ship. One hit, one missed.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Lord Poe
Sith Apprentice

Post by Lord Poe »

What about those....transPHASIC torpedoes Trekkies hope Voyager brought home? Looks like all indications concluse they take apart BORG ships like that, as they were designed to do.

"Brian, if I parked a supertanker in Central Park, painted it neon orange, and set it on fire, it would be less obvious than your stupidity." --RedImperator
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Shhh, Darkling might hear you!!

:wink: :P
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Yogi
Jedi Council Member

Post by Yogi »

Lord Poe wrote:What about those....transPHASIC torpedoes Trekkies hope Voyager brought home? Looks like all indications concluse they take apart BORG ships like that, as they were designed to do.
Same thing with the auto-deploying ablative armor. Probably depended on parts from the original shuttle. Currently sitting on a shelf in Starfleet Labs being reverse-engeneered.
Chris OFarrell
Durandal's Bitch

Post by Chris OFarrell »

Yogi wrote:
Lord Poe wrote:What about those....transPHASIC torpedoes Trekkies hope Voyager brought home? Looks like all indications concluse they take apart BORG ships like that, as they were designed to do.
Same thing with the auto-deploying ablative armor. Probably depended on parts from the original shuttle. Currently sitting on a shelf in Starfleet Labs being reverse-engeneered.
:?

Unless you think Admiral Lameways shuttle was a TARDIS, exactly how do you propose she fit anything into it? As far as I saw, she only brought back the plans (which Barcly downloaded into her PADD at the Accademy). Voyager would have had to construct those massive hull mounted armour generators and (assuming they are the same size as Photons and Quantums) the torpedoes as well.

Its probable that the department of temperal investigations jumped all over the Voyager when she got to Earth and stripped all the technology from the ship and put it under lock and key.
Durandal
Bile-Driven Hate Machine

Post by Durandal »

I'm not sure what the big hype over quantum torpedoes is. They don't appear to be any more powerful than photon torpedoes.

By all appearances, transphasic torpedoes were specifically designed to combat the Borg. Or else the flagship of the Federation (which travels alone for some reason) would have them.
Damien Sorresso

"Ever see what them computa bitchez do to numbas? It ain't natural. Numbas ain't supposed to be code, they supposed to quantify shit."
- The Onion
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Durandal wrote:I'm not sure what the big hype over quantum torpedoes is. They don't appear to be any more powerful than photon torpedoes.
No one knows what the big deal is about quantum torpedoes. We speculate, based on "Paradise Lost" [DS9] that the quantum torpedo is a more powerful design than the photon torpedo, but we don't know for sure. It does, however, seem to be much more advanced by all accounts than the standard photon torpedoes.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Silver
Youngling

Post by Silver »

Do quantum torpedoes require a special type of launcher or are they interchangable with regular photon torpedoes?
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Silver wrote:Do quantum torpedoes require a special type of launcher or are they interchangable with regular photon torpedoes?
Unclear. The E-E has only been seen using photon torpedoes from most of its launchers, and quantum torpedoes from one launcher, however in "Paradise Lost," [DS9] the Lakota appeared to have interchangeable weapons.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
TheDarkling
Sith Marauder

Post by TheDarkling »

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Shhh, Darkling might hear you!!

:wink: :P
I had enough fore sight to know they wouldnt be used in the movie and already acounted for that in the discussions revolving around the torps (also no armour which I dont think could be borg effective only), the Torps could have been put under lock and key (because of temporal prime directive or to stop the locals going crazy), the stuff could still be under going R&D or th Ent-D has been refitted yet etc etc.

Since I saw it coming I already had the defense prepared but its good to know the chance of me rising from the depths inspires fear and hushed whispers :D .