Nemesis tie-ins with other ST movies.

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Nemesis tie-ins with other ST movies.

Post by Uraniun235 »

Note that this is other Star Trek movies... if you want to push grand theories of a conspiracy to rip off Star Wars, make your own thread.

Here's what I noticed:

ST:TMP - The Enterprise-E is in drydock over Earth being refitted... familiar music plays and it is like ST:TMP, where the E-nil is in drydock over Earth.

ST:TSFS - The toast for Data: "Absent friends"... same as in Kirk's apartment in Star Trek 3.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Janeway talking about Picard facing the Sona and the Borg.

Please don't burn me for mentioning her.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

FaxModem1 wrote:Janeway talking about Picard facing the Sona and the Borg.

Hey now. Janeway was a desk jockey. Best possible solution to keep her out of the captains chair.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
AdmiralKanos
Lex Animata
Lex Animata

Post by AdmiralKanos »

Alyeska wrote:Hey now. Janeway was a desk jockey. Best possible solution to keep her out of the captains chair.
Yes, she can do much more damage at the higher levels.
For a time, I considered sparing your wretched little planet Cybertron.
But now, you shall witnesss ... its dismemberment!

"This is what happens when you use trivia napkins for research material"- Sea Skimmer on "Pearl Harbour".
"Do you work out? Your hands are so strong! Especially the right one!"- spoken to Bud Bundy
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

AdmiralKanos wrote:
Alyeska wrote:Hey now. Janeway was a desk jockey. Best possible solution to keep her out of the captains chair.
Yes, she can do much more damage at the higher levels.
Not exactly. You can put someone at a desk job and simply have them relaying orders. There is an old saying that the best way to get rid of a bad captain is to promote them to admiral. Gets them out of the captains chair and into an unimportant position. Janeway is only a 1-star admiral. She has no ranking authority and is so low on the structure she wouldn't even be given command of a task force in time of war.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Alyeska wrote:

Hey now. Janeway was a desk jockey. Best possible solution to keep her out of the captains chair.
Is to place her in charge of the most important negotiations in SF history since Khitomer?

I suppose she could have been ordered to order Picard to go do it, and that she might not have even been in charge of the thing, but I do think that part of the movie a shameless attempt to appease both of the Voyager fans.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Master of Ossus wrote:
Alyeska wrote:

Is to place her in charge of the most important negotiations in SF history since Khitomer?

I suppose she could have been ordered to order Picard to go do it, and that she might not have even been in charge of the thing, but I do think that part of the movie a shameless attempt to appease both of the Voyager fans.
Better to have used the Doctor or Seven in the movie instead. Actually Seven would have been the best. She draw's sales for her sex appeal and her character is actually one of the only two good characters from Voyager.

Anarchist Bunny
Foul, Cruel, and Bad-Tempered Rodent

Post by Anarchist Bunny »

I never liked Seven. Infact I really didn't like any of the characters from Voyager. My mom loved the series so I watched it with her to get her off my back. I never really cared if any of the characters died. Ofcourse I know that would never happen, they'd just decide to lose or something wussy like that, but still.
//This Line Blank as of 7/15/07\\
Ornithology Subdirector: SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences
Wiilite
Moff Jerjerrod
Redshirt

About Starfleet promotions..

Post by Moff Jerjerrod »

lol, Master of Ossus, regarding your "both Voyager fans" comment. Perhaps someone can explain to me why Janeway is an admiral (I stopped watching Voyager the split second after the immortal phrase "Can I have an animal guide too, Chakotay?" was uttered) considering all she did was get her crew stranded on the far side of the universe, while Picard is still a captain, despite having saved Earth/ the Federation eleventy billion times over.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

In Season 1 Picard is offered the position of the head of Starfleet Academy IIRC, a most prestigious position.

I don't know if it's ever been said in an episode, but I thought that Picard had rejected offers for promotion numerous times.

Or maybe his diplomatic mamby-pambiness just doesn't work on the strategic level at which Admirals operate.

A cool tie-in would've been Starfleet sending one of its new Galaxy-class refits to help the E-E. By Galaxy-class refit I mean of course the uber-galaxy we see in All Good Things.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
KrauserKrauser
Sith Devotee

Answer

Post by KrauserKrauser »

There can only be one reason:

Affirmative Action

(Sadly enough I said this during the movie itself and the crowd all had a chuckle. Sad when even my witty comments can amuse the audience more than the movie.)
VRWC : Justice League : SDN Weight Watchers : BOTM : Former AYVB

Resident Magic the Gathering Guru : Recovering MMORPG Addict
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Answer

Post by Patrick Degan »

KrauserKrauser wrote:There can only be one reason:

Affirmative Action
More like the Old Boy Net. Her daddy was an admiral, remember?

It's always never what you know, but how well you're connected.
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

Look on the bright side, at least Janeway didn't strip for us.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.