Star Trek: Prodigy (New Series)

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Evilchumlee
Youngling

Re: Star Trek: Prodigy (New Series)

Post by Evilchumlee »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2023-07-05 01:35pm That's just looping back to it's appeal solely being that it's a TNG cast reunion, however you describe it. Yes it's nice to have them back, no it's not inherently meaningful or interesting because of it or even new. Plenty of shows have done reunions over the years.
Fair enough, but I would counter with I don't really think all media needs to be "new".

We got a fun story with a reunion of characters we are invested in to go on an adventure one more time, while also serving as a potential (hopeful) passing of the torch.

It may not be some crazy innovative story, but it was... good.
And I would much rather than hired competent writers who worked with continuity rather than ditching anything.
I don't disagree. I wish we had that when they decided to make Discovery.

It's certainly not impossible to do a Voyager reunion while keeping Prodigy intact. At the same point, I don't think losing Prodigy is a great blow. I feel like Prodigy was always kind of throwaway, in it's very nature as a kids show.

I don't have any empirical data here, this is a "hunch", but I don't think Prodigy did what it was supposed to do... get children interested in Star Trek. I think it got adult viewers who were nostalgic for Voyager to watch because, Janeway. Not gonna lie... that's why I watched it at all. I would have not bothered with a kids a show, but they got me with Janeway.

If the show had an amount of success due to the Voyager references... well... wouldn't it make more sense to just go ahead and do... Voyager?

It's clearly the same thing that happened with PIC.
Season 1
Paramount: "This is NOT a TNG reunion!"
Fans: "NO WAY RIKER AND TROI CAME BACK! YOOOOO!

Season 2
Paramount: "Ok, this still isn't a TNG reunion. But like. Here's some references."
Fans: "NO WAY GUINAN AND Q! THAT'S AWESOME!"

Season 3
Paramount: "Ok, ok, we fucking get it. Here's a TNG reunion."
...to the most well-received entry into Star Trek since Discovery relaunched it.

I'm happy to send Prodigy to the same purgatory as TAS... it's there. It exists. Consider it if you want to.