Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 Review Thread *spoilers*

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 Review Thread *spoilers*

Post by Crazedwraith »

Rather than discussing it under spoiler tags in the news thread, I thought you might like a thread to talk about the new series in.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 Review Thread *spoilers*

Post by bilateralrope »

Discovery season 2. In which we learn that the prominent gay couple from season 1 enjoy watching women commit ritual suicide. And since the prima donna was her entire life for that one performance, I have to question if she was ever in a position to give informed consent.

As for the plot, I'm willing to wait and see where it goes.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Grand Moff Yenchin wrote: 2019-01-18 10:15pmPike's permanent disability happens after "The Cage" in the TOS timeline, so if the show really wants to put him in a wheelchair it'd either be temporary or there'd be some retconning or whatever masssaging on the timeline. Which I'm personally ok with as long as the story is good.
Oh yeah, I forgot. The show has done a decent job aligning with Trek canon, so I could be wrong.
...since the prima donna was her entire life for that one performance, I have to question if she was ever in a position to give informed consent.
They touched on suicide in TNG, namely when Worf had a broken back. I think we got a speech about respecting other cultures or something, so I imagine it would be by choice.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I can see the Federation letting a non-Federation culture raise girls and brainwash them into suicide performances. After all, the Federation is pretty strict on letting others do as they please in their territory.

What I find hard to believe is those performances being popular enough among Starfleet personnel that people openly talk about watching it. What I find worrying is that the Discovery writers chose the two openly gay characters to be the ones who enjoy these snuff shows.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

I think the point would have gotten across if they had said the singer would never again be able to hit that special note as opposed to outright killing themselves. Also, I'd think Dr. Culber as a physician would be opposed to such a thing. At least that's how I would have written that part.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

That would have been better.

One thing that took me a while to realize is that it was one of the ships doctors who promoted the snuff opera to his partner. That makes me worry about the standard of ethics training Starfleet doctors recieve.

It's the little details in Discovery that keep bothering me. Like Pike ordering them to transmit a standard greeting instead of reciting it himself. I wonder which captain was on the recording. A message recorded by Pike on a different ship, or a message from Lorke ?
Lucky there was nobody to recieve it.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

In terms of pike's injuries was it ever say clearly how long has it been since he got those injuries. Pike's unjuries are after all more serious then "is forced to use a wheelchair", the thing in the 2-parter is more like mobile ironlung then the wheelchair.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

In 'The Menagerie Pt 1' Commodore Whatshisname of Starbase 11 says 'there's been subspace chatter about it for months' indicating that while it was a while ago, it was long after Discovery's timeframe. Indeed Kirk had not yet heard about Pike being injured.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Batman wrote: 2019-01-22 04:30pm In 'The Menagerie Pt 1' Commodore Whatshisname of Starbase 11 says 'there's been subspace chatter about it for months' indicating that while it was a while ago, it was long after Discovery's timeframe. Indeed Kirk had not yet heard about Pike being injured.
Yeah that suggests that it was indeed a recent incident (relatively speaking) and not something that happened nearly a decade ago (which it would have to be to happen during DSC era).
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

I just recently discovered that Commander Nhan looks exactly the same as the Barzan lady from TNG "The Price." Memory Alpha also lists her species as Barzan, though I can't find a canon source for this. They may have mentioned this in "After Trek," but I've never seen that show. Pretty cool!

Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

Post by Grand Moff Yenchin »

Darth Lucifer wrote: 2019-01-22 10:55pm I just recently discovered that Commander Nhan looks exactly the same as the Barzan lady from TNG "The Price." Memory Alpha also lists her species as Barzan, though I can't find a canon source for this. They may have mentioned this in "After Trek," but I've never seen that show. Pretty cool!
I guess it's an Easter Egg so it wasn't stated in the episode?

There's unfortunately no After Trek for Season 2, as they switched to Facebook Live for show commentary and I haven't watched it. If they really wanted to break the trope of redshirts they really should've let Commander Nhan do all the "I have this no problem" talking :lol: I also quite liked the way she showed up in the transporter room, standing sideways to the welcome party like in some alert mode.

1st Plt. Comm. of the Warwolves
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

There was a flub with shown on-screen information and spoken information:
In the scene where Stamets comments about the sturdiness of the Constitution class, the background console shows the stats of the Enterprise with a crew complement of 430.
Burnham states moments later that the Enterprise has a full complement going by lifesigns counting 230.

And the CGI for the turbolift scene was atrocious. The one shown in the window above the hallway where Pike goes "Don't covet your neigbours starship" as well.
It implies enormous hollow spaces inside the Discovery and the Turbolift system being closer to a roller coaster which is insane. (No wonder they had to scale the ships up if that's the case)

In Old Trek there were mistakes as well, but at least those were minimal (Nemesis with the Deck 26 error) or could be seen as a gag (ST5 with the turbolift deck numberung during the rocket boos scene).
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

This is more or less of what I thought :lol: :lol: . Though I was thinking in terms of anime giant robo scenes where the characters have to take some small transportation to their vehicles, like Voltron.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ_6LvJ97OQ[/youtube]
Member of Justice League
"People can't see Buddha so they say he doesn't have a body, since his body is formed of atoms, of course you can't see it. Saying he doesn't have a body is correct"- Li HongZhi
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Grand Moff Yenchin wrote: 2019-01-25 12:23am This is more or less of what I thought :lol: :lol: . Though I was thinking in terms of anime giant robo scenes where the characters have to take some small transportation to their vehicles, like Voltron.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJ_6LvJ97OQ[/youtube]
Weren't they in the shuttlebay at the start of that sequence ?

Meaning they didn't go out through the nearest part of the hull.

As for episode two, it's the first Discovery episode that feels like a Trek episode. A mystery to solve, a dilemma where they don't pick the easiest solution. And some possibly godlike beings.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Well that latest episode does give us an upper limit for Discovery-era warp cruising. Pike says it'd take them a hundred and fifty years to reach the beacon light on warp drive, a stated distance of just over fifty thousand light years, so averaging 300c or so, though that probably would include stops for refueling along the way if possible.

And then they have the fucking spore drive do it in one jump. Urgh. The early season one episodes said they were getting jumps up to about a hundred light years, not fifty thousand. I thought the supercharged jump drives from my BSG/SG fanfic were impressive but damn.

And it runs on mushrooms. I think this is another splendid example of Star Trek writers having no sense of scale. Especially since in the previous episode Pike says the seven red bursts are spread out over only thirty thousand light years.

Last weekend I was doing a public talk on the scientific reality of Star Trek (I'm a geek with an audience, sue me) and someone asked me specifically about the spore drive. I just turned and banged my head on a wall. Got a good laugh at least.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

Is there any chance your talk was being video recorded? :D
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Alas no. One of my earlier ones is, but that was a completely different subject (the life cycle of stars, to be precise).
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

The
bilateralrope wrote: 2019-01-26 02:44am Especially since in the previous episode Pike says the seven red bursts are spread out over only thirty thousand light years.
The red burst from "New Eden" is not part of the seven red bursts from "Brother". It's a new one.
The original seven bursts disappeared with only the Hiawatha Burst being traceable.
Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2019-01-26 09:44am Well that latest episode does give us an upper limit for Discovery-era warp cruising. Pike says it'd take them a hundred and fifty years to reach the beacon light on warp drive, a stated distance of just over fifty thousand light years, so averaging 300c or so, though that probably would include stops for refueling along the way if possible.
51.000 ly in 150 years.

That'S 340 c or around Warp 7 with some change on the TOS warp scale.

Considering that the TOS Enterprise is rated for Warp 8 cruising speed, does that imply an engine refit? Or did they skimp on the Discovery Warp drive?
Sadly they never meantioned distance or travel time in "Brother" for Warp 5 to be viable.

So I'd assume the Red Burst they could lock on was close enough to them to not require the Spore drive.
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

I think I missed some dialogue or treknobabble, how come Burnham could hold a piece of the rock sample, while the one on the Discovery weighs in tonnes?
Member of Justice League
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

tezunegari wrote: 2019-01-26 03:01pm The
bilateralrope wrote: 2019-01-26 02:44am Especially since in the previous episode Pike says the seven red bursts are spread out over only thirty thousand light years.
The red burst from "New Eden" is not part of the seven red bursts from "Brother". It's a new one.
The original seven bursts disappeared with only the Hiawatha Burst being traceable.
How did you end up quoting me there ?
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

bilateralrope wrote: 2019-01-26 10:02pm
tezunegari wrote: 2019-01-26 03:01pm The
How did you end up quoting me there ?
HIghlighted the sentence from Eternal's post but accidentally hit the quote button on your post instead.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

I have to say, I have really enjoyed season 2 so far. I liked season 1, but if the first two episodes are any indication, this season will be far superior.

I loved seeing an Earth-like away planet, it gave me vibes of classic Trek - something I feel the series has been missing so far. Frakes' direction really captured the mood of classic Trek.

I know some people miss the Stamets of old but I actually like how he has actually become a more relatable character, as opposed to the intolerable, pedantic asshole he was for most of last season. Just don't take it too far the other way is all I'm sayin'. Tilly has been over the top of couple of times, but there has never been a character in Trek like her...quirky is fine, I don't want to see her go into full-blown cheese mode.

I really loved Detmer's delivery when she said "I had my pilot's license since I was 12!" So gleeful. And Owosekun was pretty cool, plus she didn't die! They're even giving Airiam more lines, I want more of her, dammit! On a side note, I noticed she's being played by a different actress...maybe the combination of sitting in the makeup chair for hours just to be window dressing for all of Season One didn't sit well with the original player. A cynical part of me fears that they're developing the bridge crew more so that we will feel devastated if/when one of them bites it eventually, but in general I appreciate that they are giving everyone more characterization.

I also really love Captain Pike. I know he'll have to return to Enterprise at some point, but I really hope he sticks around as long as possible. I really enjoy him as a character, and I think the chemistry he has with Burnham is the best that she's gotten on the series. They've even given Pike a bit of Kirk-like swagger and charm... and frankly, none of the season 1 characters had an abundance of charm.

I'm glad that Jacob was actually a reasonable and realistic character. I kept thinking “please don't pull a gun on the landing party”, and was so relieved when he didn't do the obvious, stupid TV reaction. I'm tired of shows like The Walking Dead, where every stranger, without fail, turns out to be a hidden, evil psychopath. Another interesting thing, and I don't think this was coincidental, is that the man in village with issues of faith had the same name as the man in the book of Genesis who wrestled with God (Gen 32:24-28).

Season 1 was hit and miss for me, but I am really loving season 2 so far. If the writers keep the show heading in this direction, Discovery will become some truly awesome science fiction, worthy of being part of the Star Trek family.
Grand Moff Yenchin
Sith Devotee

I kind of liked the Klingon Court drama. The Sarek family drama was a bit meh. And Section 31 is so over the top and interesting with all that advanced technology.

However I kind of felt it difficult to accept that Tilly, despite at least one example of her being admitted in the sickbay, was hosting a big blob of fungal spores this whole time. But, I guess its for the sake of some subplot considering that the story was initiated in a scene during last season.

Oh and we get to see more of Jett Reno and Number One makes her debut next week!
Member of Justice League
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

An unknown thing is causing a crewmember to experience specific hallucinations that are having conversations with her. Do you:
a: Talk with it to see what it wants.
b: Go to sickbay to see what the doctors suggest.
c: Hook the crewmember up to the brainscanner and try to suck it out of her chest without giving any of the ships doctors a chance to prepare for it going wrong.

Are there any other Trek crews who would have thought that c was a good idea ?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

bilateralrope wrote: 2019-02-03 11:30am An unknown thing is causing a crewmember to experience specific hallucinations that are having conversations with her. Do you:
a: Talk with it to see what it wants.
b: Go to sickbay to see what the doctors suggest.
c: Hook the crewmember up to the brainscanner and try to suck it out of her chest without giving any of the ships doctors a chance to prepare for it going wrong.

Are there any other Trek crews who would have thought that c was a good idea ?
depending on the characters involved pretty much every single one of them.