New CBS deal, Multiple Trek Show Rumors

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Q99
Jedi Council Member

New CBS deal, Multiple Trek Show Rumors

Post by Q99 »

Report: A Next Generation Sequel Could Be Included in Alex Kurtzman's Expansive New Star Trek Deal

Variety reports that Kurtzman has inked a $25 million deal with CBS as part of a five-year plan to bring more Trek shows to TV in the wake of Discovery’s success. According to the site, five series are currently in early development:

A teen-oriented series set at Starfleet Academy from Stephanie Savage and Josh Schwartz, the duo behind the recent Dynasty reboot and Marvel’s Runaways adaptation.
A limited series with a currently confidential plot.
A limited series based around the beloved character Khan, from the original Star Trek and the classic film The Wrath of Khan—something that’s been rumored for a while as being spearheaded by Wrath of Khan director Nicholas Meyer.
An animated series with another currently confidential plot.

However, The Hollywood Reporter might have details on at least one of those mysterious limited series. The trade reports that one show in Kurtzman’s new deal could bring back one of Trek’s most beloved characters: Sir Patrick Stewart’s Captain Jean-Luc Picard. According to THR, both Kurtzman and producer Akiva Goldsman (who departed Discovery after its first season) are attached to the series, which would be lead by Stewart reprising his role as Picard.

Although a new post on the official Star Trek website has confirmed that a new deal has been signed for Kurtzman to “extend the Star Trek franchise for television, developing new series, mini-series and other content opportunities, including animation,” it doesn’t mention any of the above details about what those series may entail. We’ve reached out to CBS for a comment regarding the rumors surrounding Kurtzman’s new deal—we’ll update this post if we hear more.

That could certainly be interesting. Way too soon to tell much, but I'd embrace a return to the TNG era, especially if it respected continuity.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: New CBS deal, Multiple Trek Show Rumors

Post by The Romulan Republic »

The sad truth is, I don't think that there's much interest in televised Trek, now. Oh, it still has its loyal fan base, but mostly they're loyal to the series from thirty years ago, not what's on the air now. I'd guess CBS wants an MCU-style franchise, with multiple interconnected series... but basically no one has managed to make that work besides the MCU (well, okay, there's a DC shared universe on TV that isn't a total flop). Certainly, I don't think there's that much excitement over Trek right now.

They need to actually make a hit before they can justify spin-offs.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

If the rumors are true, I'd always be down for more Picard.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-06-19 09:57pm The sad truth is, I don't think that there's much interest in televised Trek, now. Oh, it still has its loyal fan base, but mostly they're loyal to the series from thirty years ago, not what's on the air now. I'd guess CBS wants an MCU-style franchise, with multiple interconnected series... but basically no one has managed to make that work besides the MCU (well, okay, there's a DC shared universe on TV that isn't a total flop). Certainly, I don't think there's that much excitement over Trek right now.

They need to actually make a hit before they can justify spin-offs.
Both Discovery and Orville did solidly. I don't think there's a lack of interest either.

Dunno if there's enough for all this stuff, but I feel there's unscratched itches out there.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Kurtzman again, ugh.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-06-20 03:42am Kurtzman again, ugh.
Depends on who he hires, really.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

A little bit surprised, I'll admit, to see Patrick Stewart possibly involved with one of these. Didn't think he was particularly interested in returning. He's also noticeably older than even Insurrection's Picard; he's well preserved, but it shows. They'll have to account for that somehow, though I wouldn't be surprised if they do something like make him an Admiral and the Enterprise-whatever his flagship.

Retired Picard tootling about various archaeological sites would be an interesting take, though...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Yeah really no reason he can't be old and on the show, Trek was supposed to have major human life extension technology after all. Also seems like its a push for a miniseries with him, so it could pretty much come down a a 'Admiral Picard comes back on the bridge one last one' kind of plot.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

So, besides Picard, which TNG-era characters would you like to see return?

For me:

Bashire and Garik.

Worf.

Seven of Nine.

Tom/Be'lanna/their daughter.

Sela.

Kira.

I'd say the Doctor too, but I don't know how you deal with a hologram who doesn't age, played by an actor who does, the better part of two decades later.

Of course, if I really had my way, I'd do a loose adaptation of Star Trek Online's story line.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Sea Skimmer wrote: 2018-06-24 11:43pm Yeah really no reason he can't be old and on the show, Trek was supposed to have major human life extension technology after all. Also seems like its a push for a miniseries with him, so it could pretty much come down a a 'Admiral Picard comes back on the bridge one last one' kind of plot.
Yes, just set the new primeverse series that same amount of time later in-universe that it has been in reality since Nemesis. Or even more if you wish to imply humans age slowly/remain active longer in the future.
The Romulan Republic wrote: 2018-06-25 04:32pm So, besides Picard, which TNG-era characters would you like to see return?
Still I'd prefer they went sparingly with the cameos with old cast and concentrate on building an interesting new one instead.

Can't say I wouldn't be up for Captain Worf though maybe even of the E-F.

Though I don't want any of his old characters, I'd love for Jeffery Coombs to appear in a guest role to continue his streak as a prolific Star Trek actor, maybe something against type and heroic rather than slimy.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I have to say I would find it peculiar to be mixing characters from different shows. I also don't know how the hell they would try to reconcile it, if any, with Discovery and the nu-Trek storylines.

One benefit of alien characters, the ones that used heavy makeup anyway, is that it's easy enough to hide aging. Michael Dorn still looks pretty good, and there's so much rubber on a Ferengi that you probably wouldn't see much change on Armin Shimerman, for example. Human-norm characters would be much harder to pull that off though. Like Data... I'd love to see Data, but Brent Spiner doesn't look much like he used to. Worse actually than Robert Picardo (in terms of general wear and tear, not 'man he looks terrible').

The Doctor is an easy enough explanation though-- 'oh I'm trying out this human thing of aging, I look dignified don't I? Is twenty-some years about right?" Insert gag of him aging/de-aging excessively.

Honestly something of a STO gimmick where old cast just show up as supporting characters would be my preference. USS Applepies goes on a mission to the Delta Quadrant, stops along of DS9, Character A gets a new outfit at Garak's shop, trips over a banana peel and has to stop by Medical and there's a portrait of Bashir on the wall, goes and gets a drink at Quark's before he has to leave, and Morn is *still* at the bar, but Quark is actually a holograph now... something like that.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-06-25 05:04pm I have to say I would find it peculiar to be mixing characters from different shows. I also don't know how the hell they would try to reconcile it, if any, with Discovery and the nu-Trek storylines.
Abrams Trek is no problem- its explicitly an alternate universe.

Discovery, I have no idea. Are they still trying to pretend it fits in the same continuity as original Trek? :lol:
One benefit of alien characters, the ones that used heavy makeup anyway, is that it's easy enough to hide aging. Michael Dorn still looks pretty good, and there's so much rubber on a Ferengi that you probably wouldn't see much change on Armin Shimerman, for example. Human-norm characters would be much harder to pull that off though. Like Data... I'd love to see Data, but Brent Spiner doesn't look much like he used to. Worse actually than Robert Picardo (in terms of general wear and tear, not 'man he looks terrible').

The Doctor is an easy enough explanation though-- 'oh I'm trying out this human thing of aging, I look dignified don't I? Is twenty-some years about right?" Insert gag of him aging/de-aging excessively.
Most characters, you can just say they've aged if you set it late enough after Nemesis/Voyager. Data is trickiest, yes.
Honestly something of a STO gimmick where old cast just show up as supporting characters would be my preference. USS Applepies goes on a mission to the Delta Quadrant, stops along of DS9, Character A gets a new outfit at Garak's shop, trips over a banana peel and has to stop by Medical and there's a portrait of Bashir on the wall, goes and gets a drink at Quark's before he has to leave, and Morn is *still* at the bar, but Quark is actually a holograph now... something like that.
Yeah.

A return to the Delta Quadrant would be interesting. A chance to follow up on the consequences, good and bad, of Voyager's actions there. Maybe have one or two Voyager characters along for the ride (like Obrien making the move from TNG to Voyager), but with a mostly-new cast?

And I would probably use STO as a model to some extent, as I said.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Ugh... I haven't tried to follow Discovery much at all, so I have no idea. Just continuing with the prime universe is good enough for me.

While STO isn't canon (as far as I know), honestly it's the approach that makes the most sense, plot elements like the Undine and Iconians and the Klingons and Federation being at war again aside. There's no reason most of the TNG-era characters couldn't still be around in the interim period; they already gave us Worf and La Forge in STO, after all. Simply advancing the plot post-Voyager to some vague era in the late 24th-early 25th century would probably be fine.

The primary thing I'm really concerned about is the writing. Trek, particulary TNG and DS9, has a certain flavor that's hard to find these days.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-06-25 06:15pm Ugh... I haven't tried to follow Discovery much at all, so I have no idea. Just continuing with the prime universe is good enough for me.

While STO isn't canon (as far as I know), honestly it's the approach that makes the most sense, plot elements like the Undine and Iconians and the Klingons and Federation being at war again aside. There's no reason most of the TNG-era characters couldn't still be around in the interim period; they already gave us Worf and La Forge in STO, after all. Simply advancing the plot post-Voyager to some vague era in the late 24th-early 25th century would probably be fine.

The primary thing I'm really concerned about is the writing. Trek, particulary TNG and DS9, has a certain flavor that's hard to find these days.
Well, there are inevitably going to be some stylistic differences. TV tends to be written differently now than in the '90s- that's inevitable. So if the measure of success is "It feels like it was written in the '90s"- its probably going to be a failure.

And if Trek can't grow or change and still remain Trek, then maybe its time to retire the franchise. Not that I think that that's actually the case.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I understand changing to fit the times... I just don't really want to lose the spirit of the show. Of course, that's hard to define because each individual show had its own take on Trek-- TNG was probably the closest to TOS, while DS9 went grimdark and long-form, and Voyager was all about that general "we've gotta get home but it's a big quadrant" feel. Part of the problem with Enterprise, IMO, is that for the first couple seasons they didn't really know where they wanted to go with it, so you got a mishmash of episodes varying from pretty decent to lousy.

I'm afraid though that Discovery will sour the whole business of Trek shows. It hasn't been super-popular from what I understand, and having to pay to watch it probably isn't helping.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-06-25 06:30pm I understand changing to fit the times... I just don't really want to lose the spirit of the show. Of course, that's hard to define because each individual show had its own take on Trek-- TNG was probably the closest to TOS, while DS9 went grimdark and long-form, and Voyager was all about that general "we've gotta get home but it's a big quadrant" feel. Part of the problem with Enterprise, IMO, is that for the first couple seasons they didn't really know where they wanted to go with it, so you got a mishmash of episodes varying from pretty decent to lousy.

I'm afraid though that Discovery will sour the whole business of Trek shows. It hasn't been super-popular from what I understand, and having to pay to watch it probably isn't helping.
I think the key thing for Star Trek is that it be fundamentally optimistic. That it has a degree of faith in science and cooperation between different people- that even if things don't always work out, it is possible to create a better future, and that we don't have to be more ruthless and brutal and treacherous than our adversaries to do so. That it shows a hopeful vision of what our future could be.

Star Trek generally has been something of an ensemble cast, as well.

Beyond that, I just want them to avoid obvious continuity errors.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Not necessarily sure if you can call it an 'ensemble cast' if you mean 'a lot of famous people all together'-- at least that's generally what I think when I heard 'ensemble cast'. If you mean a show with multiple protagonists and antagonists, then yeah, that would fit Trek well enough.

Optimism would be nice, but I fear dark is all the thing these days, unless you get into comedy and while I have no doubt you could do comic Trek (there's always been a parody episode or two in the mix) a whole series that's a comic take on would be a bit hit-or-miss. Of course, that's pretty much what The Orville is, and that's doing well enough as I understand it, so...

Honestly given that TNG seems to be enjoying a pretty decent showing on Netflix and streaming media, I'd say it's a good bet that a TNG-style, flavor, whatever, Trek show might do well enough. The response to Orville vs. Discovery is suggesting that to me, at least.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

That Trek can be done right in the 2010s is no longer in question. it's called 'The Orville'. The question is can CBS do it, and 'Discovery' did not leave me with much confidence.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-06-25 04:50pm Yes, just set the new primeverse series that same amount of time later in-universe that it has been in reality since Nemesis. Or even more if you wish to imply humans age slowly/remain active longer in the future.
McCoy appeared when he would have been 137 years old in Encounter at Fairpoint. It's Trek reality that they can usefully extend life.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-06-25 07:12pm Not necessarily sure if you can call it an 'ensemble cast' if you mean 'a lot of famous people all together'-- at least that's generally what I think when I heard 'ensemble cast'. If you mean a show with multiple protagonists and antagonists, then yeah, that would fit Trek well enough.
I mean in the sense of having the dynamic of a large crew of characters, rather than a single core protagonist.
Optimism would be nice, but I fear dark is all the thing these days, unless you get into comedy and while I have no doubt you could do comic Trek (there's always been a parody episode or two in the mix) a whole series that's a comic take on would be a bit hit-or-miss. Of course, that's pretty much what The Orville is, and that's doing well enough as I understand it, so...
No, straight-up comedy isn't the thing. But I think the Orville's success shows that there are people who are tired of the endless parade of cynical, "edgy" grimdark. I think there's a place for an optimistic SF show to fill.
Honestly given that TNG seems to be enjoying a pretty decent showing on Netflix and streaming media, I'd say it's a good bet that a TNG-style, flavor, whatever, Trek show might do well enough. The response to Orville vs. Discovery is suggesting that to me, at least.
Indeed.

Note: optimistic doesn't mean that bad shit never happens. It means that we believe that those problems can be fixed or mitigated by ingenuity and cooperation. That's what Trek is. Trek can do dark, as long as it doesn't start to fall into "Everything is dark, and the only way to win is to be dark and nasty too."

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-06-21 04:26pm A little bit surprised, I'll admit, to see Patrick Stewart possibly involved with one of these. Didn't think he was particularly interested in returning. He's also noticeably older than even Insurrection's Picard; he's well preserved, but it shows. They'll have to account for that somehow, though I wouldn't be surprised if they do something like make him an Admiral and the Enterprise-whatever his flagship.

Retired Picard tootling about various archaeological sites would be an interesting take, though...
I think Ambassador Picard would be more appropriate than Admiral Picard. Transporting him to some talks that various parties don't want him to attend could make a good episode.
Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-06-25 05:04pm I have to say I would find it peculiar to be mixing characters from different shows. I also don't know how the hell they would try to reconcile it, if any, with Discovery and the nu-Trek storylines.
Discovery is easy to deal with. It's a prequel, but has never been mentioned in any episode set after its time period. Which means there is some reason why nobody talks about it. As for why, that's up to the writers of the prequel to figure out. So just avoid any situation where the spore drive might be useful and put the rest of the responsibility for continuity on the Discovery writers.

Abrams Trek is a different story. Sure, most of it takes place in an alternate universe and can be completely ignored. But there is one big event that did occur in the prime timeline: The destruction of Romulus. Everyone else swarming in to claim what they can of the Romulan Empire has lot of potential for stories.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-06-27 12:51am I think Ambassador Picard would be more appropriate than Admiral Picard. Transporting him to some talks that various parties don't want him to attend could make a good episode.
God-Emperor Picard.
Discovery is easy to deal with. It's a prequel, but has never been mentioned in any episode set after its time period. Which means there is some reason why nobody talks about it. As for why, that's up to the writers of the prequel to figure out. So just avoid any situation where the spore drive might be useful and put the rest of the responsibility for continuity on the Discovery writers.

Abrams Trek is a different story. Sure, most of it takes place in an alternate universe and can be completely ignored. But there is one big event that did occur in the prime timeline: The destruction of Romulus. Everyone else swarming in to claim what they can of the Romulan Empire has lot of potential for stories.
They've got a couple options.

1) Not address it (unfortunately likely).

2) Indicate that it didn't happen/retcon it, maybe through time shenanigans (doesn't need focus, but a line or two).

3) Make dealing with Romulan refugees/fallout a thing.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-06-20 03:42am Kurtzman again, ugh.
My thought exactly. A Marvelization of Star Trek with him at the helm (it's a minor thing, but I also dislike his rationalization for replacing the viewscreens with windows)...
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-06-27 12:51am
Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-06-21 04:26pm A little bit surprised, I'll admit, to see Patrick Stewart possibly involved with one of these. Didn't think he was particularly interested in returning. He's also noticeably older than even Insurrection's Picard; he's well preserved, but it shows. They'll have to account for that somehow, though I wouldn't be surprised if they do something like make him an Admiral and the Enterprise-whatever his flagship.

I think Ambassador Picard would be more appropriate than Admiral Picard. Transporting him to some talks that various parties don't want him to attend could make a good episode.

Again, I feel that there's potential to adopt some stuff from Star Trek Online here. And incidentally, make the Romulan Republic canon. :D

FireNexus
Cookie

Post by FireNexus »

DS9 sequel series involving Picard trying to mediate a refugee crisis on Bajor involving survivors on Cardassian Prime.
I had a Bill Maher quote here. But fuck him for his white privelegy "joke".

All the rest? Too long.