Discovery Series 2 News

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Discovery Series 2 News

Post by Crazedwraith »

Link
Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts are out as showrunners of CBS All Access’ Star Trek: Discovery, and executive producer Alex Kurtzman will take over as sole showrunner for Season 2, Deadline has confirmed.

“We’ve made some producer changes at Star Trek: Discovery,” producer CBS TV Studios said in a statement to Deadline. “The series continues under the creative vision and leadership of executive producer and co-creator Alex Kurtzman. Discovery remains on course for season two in 2019 with new and continuing stories that build on its successful premiere season.”

Sources said there were no creative problems on the show but more of operational issues. It is possible that another showrunner could be recruited down the road.

The series is in production on Episode 5 of the second season. There is a scheduled hiatus coming up, and filming will continue after that.

This is the the second showrunner change for the series following the exit of Bryan Fuller in 2016 while Star Trek: Discovery was still in pre-production.

Star Trek: Discovery follows the voyages of Starfleet on their missions to discover new worlds and new life forms, and one Starfleet officer who must learn that to truly understand all things alien, you must first understand yourself. The series features a new ship and new characters, while embracing the same ideology and hope for the future that inspired a generation of dreamers and doers.

The cast includes Sonequa Martin-Green, Doug Jones, Jason Isaacs, Anthony Rapp, Michelle Yeoh, Shazad Latif, Mary Wiseman, Mary Chieffo, James Frain and more.

Star Trek: Discovery is produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Secret Hideout, Living Dead Guy Productions and Roddenberry Entertainment.

The Hollywood Reporter was first to report the showrunner change.
Isn't Kurzman the one responsible for STID being well... STID?

I've still not got round to watching series 1 but by all accounts it was okay by the end. This doesn't strike me as hopeful news though.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Re: Discovery Series 2 News

Post by bilateralrope »

Star Trek: Discovery follows the voyages of Starfleet on their missions to discover new worlds and new life forms
while embracing the same ideology and hope for the future that inspired a generation of dreamers and doers.
Did the author of this article watch STD season 1 ?
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2018-06-15 05:02am Link
Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts are out as showrunners of CBS All Access’ Star Trek: Discovery, and executive producer Alex Kurtzman will take over as sole showrunner for Season 2, Deadline has confirmed.

“We’ve made some producer changes at Star Trek: Discovery,” producer CBS TV Studios said in a statement to Deadline. “The series continues under the creative vision and leadership of executive producer and co-creator Alex Kurtzman. Discovery remains on course for season two in 2019 with new and continuing stories that build on its successful premiere season.”

Sources said there were no creative problems on the show but more of operational issues. It is possible that another showrunner could be recruited down the road.

The series is in production on Episode 5 of the second season. There is a scheduled hiatus coming up, and filming will continue after that.

This is the the second showrunner change for the series following the exit of Bryan Fuller in 2016 while Star Trek: Discovery was still in pre-production.

Star Trek: Discovery follows the voyages of Starfleet on their missions to discover new worlds and new life forms, and one Starfleet officer who must learn that to truly understand all things alien, you must first understand yourself. The series features a new ship and new characters, while embracing the same ideology and hope for the future that inspired a generation of dreamers and doers.

The cast includes Sonequa Martin-Green, Doug Jones, Jason Isaacs, Anthony Rapp, Michelle Yeoh, Shazad Latif, Mary Wiseman, Mary Chieffo, James Frain and more.

Star Trek: Discovery is produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Secret Hideout, Living Dead Guy Productions and Roddenberry Entertainment.

The Hollywood Reporter was first to report the showrunner change.
Isn't Kurzman the one responsible for STID being well... STID?

I've still not got round to watching series 1 but by all accounts it was okay by the end. This doesn't strike me as hopeful news though.
He and Robert Orci were both largely responsible for the first two reboot films being...what they were. This does not increase my confidence in s2.
Discovery started bad, got pretty good, flirted with great, then sort of fell apart by the end.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Master Six
Redshirt

Post by Master Six »

I just watched the trailer for Season 2. What utter crap. I'm sorry, I'll admit up front that I have only seen the first two episodes -- most of what I know about the show I've gathered from here and Memory Alpha. That trailer reminded me why that felt like the right decision.

Does anyone know a reason why I should give this show a chance? I've been willing to forgive a lot of continuity fuck-ups, but this is even more brazen than the worst of B&B.
The great virtue of a free market system is that it does not care what color people are; it does not care what their religion is; it only cares whether they can produce something you want to buy. It is the most effective system we have discovered to enable people who hate one another to deal with one another and help one another. – Milton Friedman
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Master Six wrote: 2018-07-21 04:17am Does anyone know a reason why I should give this show a chance? I've been willing to forgive a lot of continuity fuck-ups, but this is even more brazen than the worst of B&B.
STD season 1 didn't feel like continuinty fuckups. It felt like they didn't even care to try and maintain continuity.

Still, the mirror universe episodes were decent. They might be able to pull something off. Though leaning so heavily on TOS characters makes me doubt it.

It's not worth paying for a new streaming service to watch. But might be worth watching if you're outside the US and already paying for Netflix.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

A thought comes to mind: How often did the other Trek series face things that were a threat to the entire Federation ?

With the Season 2 trailer, STD has given us three:
- Klingon war.
- Mirror universe killing all the spores, wiping out all life in all universes.
- Those red flares in the trailer.

Meanwhile, I can only recall DS9 facing one Federation ending threat in its entire run. TNG faced a few (conspiracy aliens, borg, romulans, probably a few more I forgot about), plus another 2 in its movies. I can't recall the other series well enough to give numbers right now.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-07-23 01:05am A thought comes to mind: How often did the other Trek series face things that were a threat to the entire Federation ?

With the Season 2 trailer, STD has given us three:
- Klingon war.
- Mirror universe killing all the spores, wiping out all life in all universes.
- Those red flares in the trailer.

Meanwhile, I can only recall DS9 facing one Federation ending threat in its entire run. TNG faced a few (conspiracy aliens, borg, romulans, probably a few more I forgot about), plus another 2 in its movies. I can't recall the other series well enough to give numbers right now.
TOS had quite a few either direct or implied, just from the top of my head, pretty much any episode involving klingons or romulans, the Doomsday Machine. Remember that during TOS the klingons and romulans were just 1 poorly dealt incident away from outright war and it was always considered something that would end badly for UFP (as in even a victory would most likely be a pyrric one).

EDIT:ENT had temporal cold war, the Xindi invasion and incident with the romulans (not so much federation ending as federation preventing but for this it's the same deal), Voyager didn't have as mainly due to being set mostly outside of federation space.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

A bit off-topic but damn the Discovery is one fine looking ship
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

wautd wrote: 2018-07-23 04:02am A bit off-topic but damn the Discovery is one fine looking ship
It is, rather. It's definitely grown on my since I saw the first concept drawings.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

The Shenzhou is a fine looking ship. The Discovery is a short step above Excelsior.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

You gotta be fucking kidding me. That ship looks like a Klingon ship (real continuity) raped a Federation one and she decided to keep the baby. The Warp nacelles are way too long and the saucer section not only has a giant gap in it for no apparent reason but rotates, also for no apparent reason
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Most of the complaining in the circles I frequent have been about Captain Pike's uniform of all things. Because it's not like the one seen in "The Cage." Personally, I don't want to see baggy velour sweaters in Star Trek ever again.

The new story arc for this season seems to be Discovery Season 2: The Search for Spock (again). But I guess if you're trying to milk the original Star trek for its mythos, then Spock is the main character to exploit. And who better to hunt him down than his commanding officer? I'm totally on board with Captain Pike, this can be very interesting. It also looks like Pike brought some of his own people to fill in for Security and Medical...I'd be stoked if the guy in blue was Dr. Phillip Boyce.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I know it's considered Heresy but personally I wouldn't be sad at all if the uniforms from the TOS pilots would be reconned out, while it has it's flaws this new uniform is better looking and I wouldn't mind if the phased that in as main discovery uniform. It's both a nice step between the DSC uniform and the TOS uniform and doesn't scream "low budget" like the TOS pilot uniforms
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Lord Revan wrote: 2018-07-24 03:07am I know it's considered Heresy but personally I wouldn't be sad at all if the uniforms from the TOS pilots would be reconned out, while it has it's flaws this new uniform is better looking and I wouldn't mind if the phased that in as main discovery uniform. It's both a nice step between the DSC uniform and the TOS uniform and doesn't scream "low budget" like the TOS pilot uniforms
I personally liked the pilot uniforms. They were practical and seemed ideal for field use.
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

FaxModem1 wrote: 2018-07-24 04:22am
Lord Revan wrote: 2018-07-24 03:07am I know it's considered Heresy but personally I wouldn't be sad at all if the uniforms from the TOS pilots would be reconned out, while it has it's flaws this new uniform is better looking and I wouldn't mind if the phased that in as main discovery uniform. It's both a nice step between the DSC uniform and the TOS uniform and doesn't scream "low budget" like the TOS pilot uniforms
I personally liked the pilot uniforms. They were practical and seemed ideal for field use.
You think baggy velour sweaters are practical and ideal for field use?
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

houser2112 wrote: 2018-07-24 09:01am
FaxModem1 wrote: 2018-07-24 04:22am
You think baggy velour sweaters are practical and ideal for field use?
I didn't realize those were velour sweaters, but I really like their field jackets and utility harnesses that the Away teams wore on the planet. Those seemed practical and better than just the bare uniforms they wore on most episodes.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Discovery found its (new character announced)Spoiler

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I wonder how badly the writers will screw up Spock.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-08-16 05:01am I wonder how badly the writers will screw up Spock.
With a bit of luck none of them will fixate on those scenes in the TOS episode "The Cage" where a bit of Early Episode Weirdness let him show odd bits of emotion.
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

SpottedKitty wrote: 2018-08-17 08:22pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2018-08-16 05:01am I wonder how badly the writers will screw up Spock.
With a bit of luck none of them will fixate on those scenes in the TOS episode "The Cage" where a bit of Early Episode Weirdness let him show odd bits of emotion.
though to be fair Spock was never truly emotionless, what makes those scenes out of place is how open Spock is about showing emotions not that he is showing them.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

Something to tide us over until 2019...

https://trekmovie.com/2018/09/20/star-t ... he-teaser/
‘Star Trek: Short Treks’ To Premiere On CBS All Access In October – Watch The Teaser

First announced at San Diego Comic-Con, today CBS has released details on their new Star Trek: Short Treks series of mini-episodes which kick off in October. Availability of Short Treks outside of the USA has not been announced.

The first of four standalone short stories will begin rolling out on Thursday, Oct. 4, in anticipation of the early 2019 return of Star Trek: Discovery. According to CBS, each short will run approximately 10-15 minutes and “will be an opportunity for fans to dive deeper into key themes and characters that fit into Star Trek: Discovery and the expanding “Star Trek” universe.”

Each of the four Short Treks will center on a key character, including familiar faces from Discovery: Mary Wiseman (Tilly), Doug Jones (Saru), and Rainn Wilson (Harry Mudd) in a short he will also direct, as well as Craft, a new character unfamiliar to fans played by Aldis Hodge.

The four installments of Star Trek: Short Treks will roll out as follows:

“Runaway” – Thursday, Oct. 4

On board the U.S.S. Discovery, Ensign Tilly (Mary Wiseman) encounters an unexpected visitor in need of help. However, this unlikely pair may have more in common than meets the eye.

Written by Jenny Lumet & Alex Kurtzman. Directed by Maja Vrvilo.

“Calypso” – Thursday, Nov. 8

After waking up in an unfamiliar sickbay, Craft (Aldis Hodge) finds himself on board a deserted ship, and his only companion and hope for survival is an A.I. computer interface.

Teleplay by Michael Chabon, story by Sean Cochran and Michael Chabon. Directed by Olatunde Osunsanmi.

“The Brightest Star” – Thursday, Dec. 6

Before he was the first Kelpien to join Starfleet, Saru (Doug Jones) lived a simple life on his home planet of Kaminar with his father and sister. Young Saru, full of ingenuity and a level of curiosity uncommon among his people, yearns to find out what lies beyond his village, leading him on an unexpected path.

Written by Bo Yeon Kim & Erika Lippoldt. Directed by Douglas Aarniokoski.

“The Escape Artist” – Thursday, Jan. 3

Harry Mudd (Rainn Wilson), back to his old tricks of stealing and double-dealing, finds himself in a precarious position aboard a hostile ship – just in time to try out his latest con.

Written by Michael McMahan. Directed by Rainn Wilson.

Star Trek: Discovery is available exclusively in the USA on CBS All Access. It airs in Canada on Space and streams on CraveTV. It is available on Netflix everywhere else.

The first season of Star Trek: Discovery will be released on Blu-ray and DVD on November 13th.
The episode with Craft can be entertaining, Discovery has done creepy/scary fairly well so far. I'm excited to see some background behind Saru and more Harry Mudd. I'm hoping for a story where Mudd cons someone the audience hates and takes on the "anti-hero" role where he ends up screwing over the bigger villain. More Tilly is good, she's a favorite with the fans although there are other people I'd rather see short webisodes about, such as Detmer or Airiam.
Darth Lucifer
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Lucifer »

A new Season 2 trailer just went up. I'm kind of excited but I'm also hoping it's not as cheesy as the Klingon War arc.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

So "Runaway" released a few days ago. Yet hasn't shown up on NZ Netflix. Does anyone know what's going on ?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

bilateralrope wrote: 2018-10-07 05:22pm So "Runaway" released a few days ago. Yet hasn't shown up on NZ Netflix. Does anyone know what's going on ?
As far as I know (I don't have the means to watch the show) it either hasn't been released here yet, or has some kind of regional delay or some such where it won't be released until certain dates in some areas.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2018-10-07 08:19pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2018-10-07 05:22pm So "Runaway" released a few days ago. Yet hasn't shown up on NZ Netflix. Does anyone know what's going on ?
As far as I know (I don't have the means to watch the show) it either hasn't been released here yet, or has some kind of regional delay or some such where it won't be released until certain dates in some areas.
IIRC there was some "issues" with contract between CBS and Netflix that needed to be solved regarding season 2 (and these shorts), nothing bad from what I've read more red tape that needs to be done so that both parties are satisfied with the contract.