"The Orville" is the best Trek I've seen in years

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

"The Orville" is the best Trek I've seen in years

Post by Xisiqomelir »

McFarlane's attempt to hit an Archer-like tone pays off in spades for this show. I realize it's been panned by the snooty critic class, but the yawning gulf between audience opinion and their opinion speaks for itself.

Most of the episodes I've seen hit a goofiness level somewhere around "A Fistful of Datas", so it doesn't scratch the itch for a serious space show the way "In the Pale Moonlight" or the best B5 episodes do, but it is a great romp around the galaxy with an entertaining crew.

On a production note, the designs, set construction, costuming and artistic style of this show make Discovery look risible by comparison. It's actually very nice simply to look at, even before being wonderfully fun to watch.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Re: "The Orville" is the best Trek I've seen in years

Post by GuppyShark »

I thought this had been expressed already? Yeah, it's considered by many to be the spiritual successor to ST:TNG. As usual, professional critics are typically failed artists unrepresentative of the target market.
Steelinghades
Youngling

Re: "The Orville" is the best Trek I've seen in years

Post by Steelinghades »

While a bit too immature at times for my taste, Orville is rather good, at least I think so, especially after the horrid nightmare that was Discovery.