A minor species question.

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

A minor species question.

Post by Lord Revan »

Is there any minor species (besides the orions) active close of enough to the UFP/Klingon border in the mid-23rd century that the federation could use members of that species as spies against the klingons?

FYI:I'm asking this for STO foundry project (essentially fanfaction) so while I could make something up I'd prefer to keep as close to canon as possible, also no Discovery bashing please, I asking about trek species not your opinion about trek series.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Re: A minor species question.

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Well we've seen numerous times in the 23rd century that the Federation and Klingons can surgically alter themselves to spy on each other (Trouble with Tribbles, Trials and Tribblations, Lt Ash from Discovery, Sisko/O'Brien/Odo in Apocalypse Rising) so I'd imagine they'd go that route.

Failing that, the Yridians are known as "information dealers" and have worked for both the Federation and Klingon Intelligence in the past (Birthright) and also work with Romulans (the die is cast) - which may come in useful, idk.

I'm not aware of any other species (other than Orions) who'd really help out. There's the Tzenkathi - but the Federation was hostile to them. There's the Organians - but they won't help. There's the Tholians - but they're hostile. Breen - but hostile to both parties - same for the Gorn.

I'd say the closest you'll get are the Yridians, followed by undercover humans themselves. The rest was done by satellites and other equipment like Epsilon 9.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Prometheus Unbound wrote: 2017-12-31 10:35am Well we've seen numerous times in the 23rd century that the Federation and Klingons can surgically alter themselves to spy on each other (Trouble with Tribbles, Trials and Tribblations, Lt Ash from Discovery, Sisko/O'Brien/Odo in Apocalypse Rising) so I'd imagine they'd go that route.

Failing that, the Yridians are known as "information dealers" and have worked for both the Federation and Klingon Intelligence in the past (Birthright) and also work with Romulans (the die is cast) - which may come in useful, idk.

I'm not aware of any other species (other than Orions) who'd really help out. There's the Tzenkathi - but the Federation was hostile to them. There's the Organians - but they won't help. There's the Tholians - but they're hostile. Breen - but hostile to both parties - same for the Gorn.

I'd say the closest you'll get are the Yridians, followed by undercover humans themselves. The rest was done by satellites and other equipment like Epsilon 9.
Yridians might work. As for satellites the information I'm thinking of it would be something that you probably wouldn't get that way. Also I'm pretty sure Ash hasn't been confirmed as klingon but that's a popular fan theory.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

How about those ones from TNG Suddenly Human?

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Sudd ... _(episode)

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Talarian

Warrior culture and strong "family bonds" like Klingons, "humanoid" and slightly Klingon looking (in fact I think it's modified Klingon makeup), have an aggressive but not war like stance with the Federation ... but they're also not Klingon in every way - so perhaps a neutral third party who understands "both sides" ? Perhaps one of their merchant captains or admirals or someone somewhere might be in league with Starfleet Security or something?

Apparently Raktajinos have some sort of intoxicating effect on them like making them drunk - so even better - a way for the spy to be uncovered or something that fits with canon! A tribble doesn't react to him and he gets drunk on coffee - he's captured and the federation have to rescue him.

They've also had contact with the Klingons (Heat of Glory) and have (merchant? civilian?) ships that cross the border.
NecronLord wrote:
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Also some tidbits:

"Attacking a superior officer, like a captain, was considered the highest offense and was punishable by execution, usually carried out by the offended officer. This was applicable to all superior officers no matter their army or species: for example, the custom would allow a Starfleet commander to execute a rude Talarian soldier."

This is not the same as Klingon behaviour, explicitly. Klingons can and will attack superiours for "cowardice" or bringing dishonor upon the crew/ship through actions or behaviour. Quite what these rules are, we're not 100% sure, so it's certainly not a free for all Capture the Flag event. However, Talarians see this as like the worst thing ever ever ever. So again, a moment of conflict - an undercover agent has to do something that is against their code, and so they are found out? Or something. Some sort of storyline there.

So yeah - they have contact with both, cross the border, look vaguely similar, are "neutral" to both, and have specific "anti Klingon" behaviours to Tribbles, Raktajinos and Attacking a Superiour. They have very specific "pro Klingon" behaviours such as family honor, honor in general, warrior like culture, trained to fight from 4, 5 years old, glory, conquest.

They also have "pro federation" ideals - they do talk rather than fight, sometimes. They understand mercy, collaboration and pragmatism. They are not "racially caring" - good luck being a human in a Klingon household (Worf was joked about for even living with Humans) whereas Talarians are happy to adopt other species and see them as equals.

So I think lots to go on there.

Or um, Horta?
NecronLord wrote: