The other trek series get movies (RAR!)

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: The other trek series get movies (RAR!)

Post by The Romulan Republic »

NecronLord wrote: 2017-08-24 07:37am For a Voyager story if it was set after Endgame, I think the only thing that would make sense as a self contained adventure is if they brought something unpleasant back from the Delta Quadrant. Movies generally work best as self-contained adventures, with a strong action element. Perhaps something Borg related? It might be a little too similar to First Contact though.
Maybe some Manchurian Candidate-style brainwashing by an alien?

Or, yeah, the Borg, though that's kind of obvious.

As to the Threshold discussion...

Its admittedly been a very long time since I saw Threshold, but I recall I rather enjoyed it at the time. In the "campy silliness" sort of way, where its best if you don't think too hard about its gaping holes.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

bilateralrope wrote: 2017-08-25 02:01pm I can see the Federation wanting to repeat Voyager's Warp 10 experiments to try and get a better result.

I can see it going badly.

I can see one of the survivors pointing at Admiral Janeway and screaming she turned me into a NEWT!
Or better yet the Federation is pissed at the crew of Voyager for being a bunch of obnoxious twats (except the EMH and Seven of Nine) and especially pissed at them bringing back Neelix. So they covertly sabotage the Voyager, get them all on board (sans EMH and Seven) and fire up the warp drive to 10 (ensured to be out of the crew's ability to turn it off).

And there will be much rejoicing across the Federation. :P

But if we're going for a serious note then Eternal_Freedom's idea sounds pretty awesome. :)

An interesting but somewhat off-topic note, Bragga wrote the episode as a way of telling people that evolution doesn't automatically lead to "more advanced" species. But he really should have come up with a better story to say that. Oh well, at least he had the humility to admit that the episode sucked.
Last edited by SolarpunkFan on 2017-08-25 05:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

The fallout from Endgame would best be served by a retaliation by the Borg. Since that episode made a disgusting point of trying to play it off as the Queen being the Nemesis of Janeway and Voyager really relied on the Borg for a 'big bad'.
It stands to reason that dealing a crippling blow to the Borg in such a cavalier manner could really piss the Borg off to the point they start throwing weight around like they did against S8472.

Future Admiral Janeway DID allow herself to be assimilated - How poetic would it be if the Borg take all that Anti-Borg expertise and the technology ripped from the shuttle to turn on the Federation. Bonus points if a Borgified Admiral Janeway becomes the new Borg Queen.

Borg Janeway vs Sisko or Picard - I would watch that.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

SolarpunkFan wrote: 2017-08-25 05:49pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2017-08-25 02:01pm I can see the Federation wanting to repeat Voyager's Warp 10 experiments to try and get a better result.

I can see it going badly.

I can see one of the survivors pointing at Admiral Janeway and screaming she turned me into a NEWT!
Or better yet the Federation is pissed at the crew of Voyager for being a bunch of obnoxious twats (except the EMH and Seven of Nine) and especially pissed at them bringing back Neelix. So they covertly sabotage the Voyager, get them all on board (sans EMH and Seven) and fire up the warp drive to 10 (ensured to be out of the crew's ability to turn it off).

And there will be much rejoicing across the Federation. :P

But if we're going for a serious note then Eternal_Freedom's idea sounds pretty awesome. :)

An interesting but somewhat off-topic note, Bragga wrote the episode as a way of telling people that evolution doesn't automatically lead to "more advanced" species. But he really should have come up with a better story to say that. Oh well, at least he had the humility to admit that the episode sucked.
Nitpick- Neelix never came back with them. He left the ship shortly before the finale, remaining with a Talaxian colony in the Delta Quadrant.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

TRR beat me to it.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

That's what I get for only watching a few episodes. :oops:
Seeing current events as they are is wrecking me emotionally. So I say 'farewell' to this forum. For anyone who wonders.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

A DS9 movie could take a route similar to the Spoiler
The Expanse
. With the Pah-Wraiths destroyed and Sisko one of the Prophets, new wormholes begin opening up around the station, as part of a grander Celestial Temple, leading to the far corners of the Rim and even into Andromeda or other galaxies. The scraps of the Starfleet/Klingon/Romulan alliance try to reinforce the station as all manner of crazy shit starts to pour through until Sisko returns and needs help finding all the Dragonballs (er I mean Orbs) that somehow got scattered after the Dominion War to seal off the new wormholes.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

PREDATOR490 wrote: 2017-08-25 05:50pm The fallout from Endgame would best be served by a retaliation by the Borg. Since that episode made a disgusting point of trying to play it off as the Queen being the Nemesis of Janeway and Voyager really relied on the Borg for a 'big bad'.
It stands to reason that dealing a crippling blow to the Borg in such a cavalier manner could really piss the Borg off to the point they start throwing weight around like they did against S8472.

Future Admiral Janeway DID allow herself to be assimilated - How poetic would it be if the Borg take all that Anti-Borg expertise and the technology ripped from the shuttle to turn on the Federation. Bonus points if a Borgified Admiral Janeway becomes the new Borg Queen.

Borg Janeway vs Sisko or Picard - I would watch that.
Now I'm imagining the remains of the Borg doing two things:
- Selling tech to Ferengi. What the Ferengi do with that tech becomes the DS9 movie.
- Using the money to hire assassins to go after Voyager and it's crew, no matter where they are now. Because the usual Borg tactics didn't work even before Janeway crippled them. Trying to survive the assassins is the Voyager movie.
Last edited by bilateralrope on 2017-08-26 01:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

SolarpunkFan wrote: 2017-08-25 05:49pm especially pissed at them bringing back Neelix.

They didn't. They stranded him on an asteroid back in the DQ. You know, that Talaxian colony that was 50,000 light years from Talaxia with no explanation even though no Talaxian had gone further than the Nekrit Expanse which is about 1,000 light years from the caretaker but whatever. Second to last episode.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

, leading to the far corners of the Rim and even into Andromeda or other galaxies.
You just came up with an idea, x100 better than anything the current spazoids driving the bus had

Andromeda
The Kelvans. Those guys. Who we last saw were mostly-human and supposedly a robot ship was going there with the proposal. But what if they were already on the way? And didn't Want to be friends. And new wormholes, give them the instant shortcut, HERE
Yep, would be a fascinating idea to try
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

I think anything at all involving Threshold, that requires you to NOT think, would, and should, incur the killing wrath of Chuck :twisted:
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

For the DS9 movie - how about focusing on the uplifting of Bajor into an actual area power? Maybe they've just finished the construction of their first, Bajor-controlled spacedock, and are working with Federation engineers on some ship designs. You could bring in some Bajoran separatists who want the Federation to now leave, or maybe a group of unaligned Cardassians actually extend an olive branch for peace, (maybe displaced by the Dominion war, and there's a lot of skepticism as to whether they're genuine or some covert group).

For Voyager, let's start with them having been debriefed, and perhaps Voyager was undergoing a refit, (the design having proven itself in the Delta quadrant). The Midas array picks up a signal very similar to the Caretaker's array, and since they're the most familiar with it, Janeway & co are ordered back in action, in order to investigate - only this time, they go in the updated Voyager and another ship or 2. Long story short, it seems some remnant of the Borg got a hold of a Caretaker's station, (perhaps as a result of Seven's initial time on board, while she was still connected to the collective)...
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Both good ideas.

The Borg in control of the Caretaker's array (which could apparently detect and beam ships from one side of the galaxy to the other) is a frightening thought.

biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-08-26 07:38pm Both good ideas.

The Borg in control of the Caretaker's array (which could apparently detect and beam ships from one side of the galaxy to the other) is a frightening thought.
Indeed... maybe there's some peculiarity to the detected signal - Caretaker type signal with a Borg encryption or something. Maybe the refitted Voyager is equipped with a modified version of the slipstream drive, due to how dire of an emergency this is, or they now have the first Federation-made (and functional) transwarp drive...
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Honestly, if you want the big action threat for a movie, that's a really, really good one. Borg with Caretaker Array (especially if they can duplicate the tech.) is an existential threat to every non-godlike being in the galaxy.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Pretty sure that's more or less SFDebris's suggested alternate plot for Endgame, minus the time-travel elements.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

Prometheus Unbound wrote: 2017-08-26 01:08pmThey didn't. They stranded him on an asteroid back in the DQ. You know, that Talaxian colony that was 50,000 light years from Talaxia with no explanation even though no Talaxian had gone further than the Nekrit Expanse which is about 1,000 light years from the caretaker but whatever. Second to last episode.
Yeah. I know now. :P

I still say the Feds would want to put everyone except 7 of 9 and the EMH on board and send them on a one-way trip to horny salamanderism. Because it's the Voyager crew, what more need I say? :twisted:
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Keep Tom Paris too. He's kind of cool (there's a reason I chose him to be Chakotay's XO in my plot outline).

SolarpunkFan
Jedi Knight

Post by SolarpunkFan »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-08-27 10:50am Keep Tom Paris too. He's kind of cool (there's a reason I chose him to be Chakotay's XO in my plot outline).
That's doable.

Sorry my joke idea got so big in this thread everyone, I'm going to end it here to ensure everyone else gets a voice too.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

As SFDebris points out, Tom Paris is astonishingly competent. Starfleet could want to keep him around for certain, along with Seven and the Doctor. The rest can be sent off on some pointless mission, but Tom, Seven and the Doctor can be their own crazy-awesome R&D department.

Which could lead nicely to that "Apollo 13" idea of mine, have them design and test something new and amazing, and tell what happens. It would be interesting, IMO, to have a new Trek film that doesn't have a villain. Because it's doable, and it fits the whole ST ethos - they aren't out there to fight evil, or defeat the alien enemy/renegade Admiral/whatever of the week, but to explore. To learn new things.

Tom, Seven, the EMH and some peripheral help from the Voyager crew could do this. Throw Barcaly into the mix as well to complete his character arc. And it could be amazing.

To illustrate: Three of the best TNG episodes that I can think of don't really have villains, they're about learning, exploration and the triumph of humanity's better nature, specifically "The Inner Light," "Tapestry" and "All Good Things..." though I accept that the last one is marginal as far as the "no villain" goes. Add in Voyager examples like "Life Line" or (arguably) "Living Witness." Add in "The Nth Degree" for bonus points. And I'm sure there are DS9 "no villain" episodes that stand up very well too, just none spring to mind.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The problem is, people expect big flashy action scenes for an SF movie.

You could possibly get away with no villain, but you would likely need some sort of threat or antagonist that lends itself to flashy action scenes and big effects. Could be a natural disaster, maybe, but you'd need something.

And now I have this idea for Tom, the Doctor, Seven, and Barclay as an elite Starfleet commando team. :D

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I didn't say there couldn't be big flashy action scenes. I'm thinking something long the lines of Apollo 13 or The Martian or even Passengers. Big impressive scenes are there, but they're working against the unknown/the elements not a villain.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Yeah, that all works.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Or, perhaps, a movie-version of "The Devil in the Dark" in the TNG era. Something where they encounter a new species and have to battle misunderstandings/their own prejudice or whatever to peacefully talk to them.

Basically, anything but yet another "Villain with apparently-nefarious-but-questionably-sane plan that also has ship/superweapon that can curbstomp the Enterprise."

Because that sums up, oh, all the Trek films except for TMP, STV, and Voyage Home, with TWOK and TSFS being marginal cases where the Big E still gets battered bloody. And Voyage Home only gets a pass because the Big E barely appears.

EDIT: Oddly enough, this is one of the things I like about Into Darkness. For all it's flaws and faults (of which there are plenty) Khan actually had a very sympathetic motive: he want's his crew back and he wants them to live. He's not out to conquer or exterminate or for revenge. Just getting his people out of the fire. Hell, even Marcus has a moderately-rational motive - if war really is inevitable, best to start it on the Federation's terms while they have the advantage of Khan's new designs.
Last edited by Eternal_Freedom on 2017-08-27 01:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Though it should also be noted that of the three exceptions you listed, two are widely-regarded as awful films.

Not saying it couldn't work. It just usually hasn't.