New star trek discovery info at SDCC

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Re: New star trek discovery info at SDCC

Post by Flagg »

Gandalf wrote: 2017-08-07 09:54pm
bilateralrope wrote: 2017-08-07 09:48pm
Burak Gazan wrote: 2017-08-07 09:07pm

They did....
And it's :wtf: level
Please elaborate.
One of the "creature designers for the show put it thusly:
Neville Page wrote:“The Empire is very big. They don’t all grow up on Qo’noS. They don’t all live on the same planets and certainly those different planets would have different environments. So how would the cultures have evolved differently?” We tried to come up with cultural axioms for each house so each looks different and they bear a cultural patina like our cultures do here on Earth.”
So I'm not really bothered by this. It actually seems pretty cool, showing that a species spread out across a quadrant should all look and dress the fucking same.
NO!!! Every major alien species must all act the same, dress the same, and have the same beliefs or it's not Star Trek!

In fact, if it's not overseen by a mean, often drunk, and egotistical ass who claimed all the credit for creating it despite it being created and developed by a large number of writers, producers, directors, and even actors, it's not Star Trek!

If it doesn't fit into this narrow vision of what ended up destroying the brand on TV by it basically being the exact same show (except DS9, which most Trek fatties hated) across 3 series with 75% of the content being utter crap, IT'S NOT STAR TREK!!!

:lol: :banghead: :banghead:
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

As a hard reset, I can get behind Discovery. A solidly new continuity and all the creative directions make sense and can be valued in their own merit.

It's the insistence by CBS that this is in continuity with preexisting Trek that draws frustrated disappointment

Sure Prime continuity has it's share of retcons, but when required past incarnations are respected (the Defiant uniforms in "In a Mirror Darkly")

Micheal is really pushing it with the Spock family unit, seperate continuity...could be an interesting dynamic (Spock the half blood middle child, Sybok the full blood older brother, Micheal the baby human sister), but in Prime it's a hard pill to swallow. Sybok's retcon/backstory atleast made some sense, he advocated a way of life Vulcan condemned and was exiled, disowned, and disavowed as a result. Micheal, (preshow impressions)....no reason to be utterly forgotten by the family...and given human lifespans in the 23rd/24th centuries...where was she when her foster father was on his deathbed?

If a clean break, new timeline/universe, anything goes. But as is advertised...I binge classic Trek religiously, cutting in Discovery would give me an aneurysm
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Nailed it in One
If it was reset, ok, it might be retard dialed up to 14, but it would get a fair shake
But, they have been spending, what? The last YEAR screaming in our faces it's the Prime TOS timeline. And SHUT UP! they explained. They dare not admit, that they have been LYING through their teeth for all that time. Even though that's all they good at. This is going to get what it gets. And that will not be pretty
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Flagg wrote: 2017-08-09 12:45pm NO!!! Every major alien species must all act the same, dress the same, and have the same beliefs or it's not Star Trek!

If it doesn't fit into this narrow vision of what ended up destroying the brand on TV by it basically being the exact same show (except DS9, which most Trek fatties hated) across 3 series with 75% of the content being utter crap, IT'S NOT STAR TREK!!!
IMO both Voyager and Enterprise were at their best when they embraced their differences while still being shows about exploration. Ent was bad when it tried to be Voyager, Voyager was bad when it tries to be TNG, but both were good concepts with plenty of good episodes, Voyager was good when it allowed itself to change and be a cut-off ship community in the unknown, Enterprise was good when it delved into the setting instead of messing around with temporal cold wars.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Apparently the showrunners are going to show several houses with several different looks based on background an so forth as well as drawing upon The Final Reflection. I am molified even though I still hate the look.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

The more diverse Klingons sound good in theory. We'll see how it works out in practice.

And yeah, agreed with everyone who says it should be a hard reboot. Star Trek is ripe for that.

Soft rebooting is just inviting the worst of both worlds. You get the people pissed off that its a reboot, while still partially shackling yourself to the limitations of the prior continuity.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Hard reboot or GTFO. Besides, I haven't enjoyed prime Trek since the end of DS9.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I think I've said it before but it bears repeating IMO-- if they're going to attempt to depict prime Trek around the TOS era or even before it, they NEED to at the very least TRY to echo the visual style and look of TOS in some fashion. Even nu-Trek tried with the uniforms (if nothing else).

I mean. They don't have to go all-out late-60s-cheesy silver-painted cardboard-box scenery, props made of wooden blocks painted up with a few greeblies added, aliens made of cheap rubber masks and sequined costumes. Nobody really wants that all that much, because we can do better with ease these days. But at the very least, keep a similar aesthetic in that your equipment doesn't look hideously futuristic by comparison, holographs all over the place, uniforms with ridiculous micro-print patterns... hell even go with some primary colors, you know?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Every single time I see the "60s looks like cardboard junk" I am reminded of how good it looked in just 2 Mirrorverse episodes. Modern effects made the sets, ship and weapons look fantastic. It really just comes down to, they want shiny, and glitzy and 'splosions , in favour of writing. Whatever, it's their money, and their funeral. Who knows. Maybe they'll make it. Although, that rumoured cost -per-episode might make for some serious sticker shock. 8 million per? owch...
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

That's kind of my point, we can do better than the 60s. The problem is where do we draw the line, how much better is too far?

A hard reboot like nu-Trek is one thing. I can accept nu-Trek being more obviously advanced than old-Trek, because it's old-Trek being made with current technology and capabilities-- if Gene Roddenberry was making old-Trek in the 2000s, that's how it might look.

But to say that you're making a show, in the same timeline as old-Trek, happening even *before* TOS... and it looks like nu-Trek? Sorry, I can't buy that. The visual difference is simply too glaring.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

Burak Gazan wrote: 2017-09-07 05:41pm Every single time I see the "60s looks like cardboard junk" I am reminded of how good it looked in just 2 Mirrorverse episodes.
I can't remember the exact quote, but Archer's comment on how futuristic the Defiant looked made me laugh. Those episodes didn't look good, they looked like TOS, just without the film grain. I don't care for the "each division has its own color uniform" aesthetic, either. I much prefer the uniforms from ENT and II-VI.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

houser2112 wrote: 2017-09-08 08:21am
Burak Gazan wrote: 2017-09-07 05:41pm Every single time I see the "60s looks like cardboard junk" I am reminded of how good it looked in just 2 Mirrorverse episodes.
I can't remember the exact quote, but Archer's comment on how futuristic the Defiant looked made me laugh. Those episodes didn't look good, they looked like TOS, just without the film grain. I don't care for the "each division has its own color uniform" aesthetic, either. I much prefer the uniforms from ENT and II-VI.
Which are also colour coded?
houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

Crazedwraith wrote: 2017-09-08 08:44am
Which are also colour coded?
One small part, not the whole shirt.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Oh. Dear. God.
Star Trek: Discovery to tackle Trump-era political divide

They JUST couldn't resist, apparently. Those widdle SJW warriors, JUST CANT HELP THEMSELVES
One guy reporting this article on twit called it "OK. I am calling this right now: this show is going to suck" Mic drop
See ya in the funny papers, "Discovery"
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Burak Gazan wrote: 2017-09-08 04:22pm Oh. Dear. God.

They JUST couldn't resist, apparently. Those widdle SJW warriors, JUST CANT HELP THEMSELVES
One guy reporting this article on twit called it "OK. I am calling this right now: this show is going to suck" Mic drop
Holy shit!

You mean that Star Trek is going to address current issues in society? This is unprecedented... provided that you ignore some of Star Trek's best (or at least compelling) episodes were clear reflections of their time. Look at Let That Be Your Last Battlefield. It addresses American civil rights strife at the height of the Vietnam War by taking it and placing the conflicts in another context, played through the characters of Bele and Lokai. Look at these quotes;

"It is obvious to the most simpleminded that Lokai is of an inferior breed." - Bele.

"You have read about it in history, I see. How can I make your flesh know how it feels to see all those who are like you, and only because they are like you, despised, slaughtered, and even worse, denied the simplest bit of decency that is a living being's right? Do you know what it would be like to be dragged out of your hovel into a war on another planet? A battle that will serve your oppressor and bring death to you and your brothers?" - Lokai.

The US wasn't really ready to confront its immense racial problems on television in the sixties, but by putting those problems in an alien context it at least made the dialogue easier.

But you may be right, it's probably the SJWs up to their old tricks! Agents of Goldstein they are!
Pretty much. The Mirror episodes were a silly wank, and the sets worked for it. Put them in a more serious setting, and... it'll hurt.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Galvatron wrote: 2017-09-07 03:33pm Hard reboot or GTFO. Besides, I haven't enjoyed prime Trek since the end of DS9.
A prime-Trek show set post-Nemesis could work, IF it had good writers and directors and the studio actually let them be good.

But doing incessant prequel-era shows because apparently they can't think of anything better to do than trying to milk TOS nostalgia even when much of the original TOS fan base is now senile or dead is idiotic, and all the more so if they won't even make a pretense of respecting TOS canon.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

No Gandalf; like most fans who would love to see them succeed and not produce bullshit, I JUST DONT NEED FUCKING LECTURED. Especially from only one single POV. If they would just concentrate on making TREK, I'd bet you this thing would make it. They won't
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Burak Gazan wrote: 2017-09-08 04:22pm Oh. Dear. God.

Of COURSE Trek is going to address Trump. Trek has always dealt with political issues, and Trump is arguably the biggest one facing us today.

Of course, there's a right way and a wrong way to do it, and I'd prefer political messages that are more broadly applicable, to our present politics but also to broader/more universal concerns, rather than a direct, on-the-nose Trump analogy. But your response...

I don't know you, but responding to said criticism of Trump with hateful ranting about "SJWs" that could have been taken right off of an "Alt. Right"/white supremacist/Trumper forum (because campaigning for social justice is obviously the most evil thing ever- dem women and brown people ought to know their place, after all*) does not make me inclined to take you or your criticisms seriously. It does incline me to view you as a probable Right-wing troll/insecure man-child, who assumes he's persecuted because white men only control most of the country instead of 100% of it.

Your knee-jerk hatred of "SJWs" would be comic in its patheticness if such attitudes didn't directly contribute to a political culture where an admitted groper is considered Presidential, and angry mobs of literal Nazis run down peaceful Left-wing activists in the streets while aforementioned "President" condones them.

*Sarcasm, just in case it wasn't clear to everybody.

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Burak Gazan wrote: 2017-09-08 05:45pm No Gandalf; like most fans who would love to see them succeed and not produce bullshit, I JUST DONT NEED FUCKING LECTURED. Especially from only one single POV. If they would just concentrate on making TREK, I'd bet you this thing would make it. They won't
:lol: Did I break your brain?

Concentrating on modern issues transposed onto space people is one of the most Trek things that there is.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

It doesn't necessarily have to be preachy either if well written.

Though to be fair Trek has crossed that line before.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Gandalf wrote: 2017-09-08 11:40pm
Burak Gazan wrote: 2017-09-08 05:45pm No Gandalf; like most fans who would love to see them succeed and not produce bullshit, I JUST DONT NEED FUCKING LECTURED. Especially from only one single POV. If they would just concentrate on making TREK, I'd bet you this thing would make it. They won't

Concentrating on modern issues transposed onto space people is one of the most Trek things that there is.
Yeah.

Incidentally, its also been my experience that when people whine about a show or film or what-have-you being "political", and how they should just make the show without having a message, what they always (or almost always) really mean is "I don't want it to have a message I disagree with."

houser2112
Padawan Learner

Post by houser2112 »

Gandalf wrote: 2017-09-08 11:40pm

Concentrating on modern issues transposed onto space people is one of the most science fiction things that there is.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Star Trek Argentina has a preview of the new main theme:

Parts of it have the composer talking over it but you can hear it in the background.

I actually like it.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I can't play the video- I just get a message telling me that Flash-embedded videos are no longer supported, and to watch it on Youtube.

Edit: This happens to every Youtube video posted on this site now.

Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

The Romulan Republic wrote: 2017-09-13 01:50pm I can't play the video- I just get a message telling me that Flash-embedded videos are no longer supported, and to watch it on Youtube.

Edit: This happens to every Youtube video posted on this site now.
well, despite the seven billion updates the last two months, phpbb is still utterly shite.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.