New star trek discovery info at SDCC

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

New star trek discovery info at SDCC

Post by DarthPooky »

Just as the title says hear we go thoughts?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... on-1023530
DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Re: New star trek discovery info at SDCC

Post by DarthPooky »

Hears a video that shows a bit more.

Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

I'm still not feeling the look of it. It was fine for the alternate universe to look a bit different but this is supposed to be teh prime universe. Why does it seem like the Kelvin universe adheres more to the established designs of uniforms, species, and the equipment then a show set in the Prime universe? Yeah I could give it a pass maybe if the story is good but its still going to be a bother. Nerds are the ones who are going to be nitpicking the shit out of this and guess what, Star Trek is nerd freaking central.

Just the uniforms bother me the most. We saw uniforms from around the same time period in The Cage. Could they not slightly update them, take a page from the Kelvin movies? Having completely different uniforms for an established time period would be like having a WWI movie with the wrong uniforms or weapons. And not like having a WWII era German Stahlhelm, a later era Turkish or Spanish Gewehr 98 standing in for the more period and country appropriate German model, or a M1911A1 instead of the standard model but like having US doughboy troops equipped with multicam and M4s or muskets and Civil War era blue uniforms. It seems lazy to not get more appropriate stuff and is going to make people who notice that sort of thing out of the story.

Discovery has too much riding on it to even get something as relatively minor as period attire wrong. Its got to win the support of fans burned by tv Trek, the fans who will stick with the show and buy its merch and keep the show alive week after week. Not saying their uniform choices or the choice to make the Klingons completely fracking different from anything before will sink the show but certainly will make Trek fans a bit more hesitant to invest in it either with time or money.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Joun_Lord wrote: 2017-07-21 11:50pmDiscovery has too much riding on it to even get something as relatively minor as period attire wrong. Its got to win the support of fans burned by tv Trek, the fans who will stick with the show and buy its merch and keep the show alive week after week. Not saying their uniform choices or the choice to make the Klingons completely fracking different from anything before will sink the show but certainly will make Trek fans a bit more hesitant to invest in it either with time or money.
Why would they want to spend effort trying to appeal to people who would be turned off by different looking Klingons? If that's the fanbase, then fuck 'em. Go for a mainstream audience and actually turn a profit, like ST09.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Post by DarthPooky »

My quick thoughts is I love the retro look of the Phasers communicator and triquorter.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Gandalf wrote: 2017-07-22 12:04amWhy would they want to spend effort trying to appeal to people who would be turned off by different looking Klingons? If that's the fanbase, then fuck 'em. Go for a mainstream audience and actually turn a profit, like ST09.
Because those people are their fans, people that give enough of a shit to watch the show and care about nitpicky bullshit. That is their core audience, people who have been burned before and need to have their hands held and told that they people in charge give a fuck. Completely disregarding what came before probably isn't going to send the message "we care about our fans and franchise". Thats the problem with the different looking Klingons, they might say to fans that the people in charge don't give a fuck.

Trying to appeal to wider audiences like ST09 may not work because of the difference in the medium. Sitting down to put eyes to something for 2 hours every few years is certainly different from sitting down week after week. They are not the people who will be buying ridiculously expensive box sets or overpriced bluetooth speakers in the shape of a communicator.

And lets not forget that fans with their blogs and message boards and bathroom walls tend to be quite loud in their opinion, fans irate can definitely hurt a show by altering public perception of it and hurt wider audience appeal.

If STD doesn't have the fans onboard in atleast some capacity its chances if nothing else are slimmer to succeed.
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Netflix new trailer:

Just watched it and this one kinda intrigues me, so much actually that I really consider getting a Netflix account.
  • A redshirt ship that will appear, the USS Europa - which looks like a new style Miranda class.
  • First look at the new force field special effect - they now have a bright triangular latticework.
  • The klingon empire has been in dissarray for generations.
  • These klingons still have their "howl at the afterlife" ritual when someone dies.
  • These Klingons have been waiting for someone worthy of their attention.
  • The Shenzhou might be the first ship to encounter the klingon forces.
  • Phasers are blueish-white rapid-fire pulses... more like the Kelvin-Universe.
  • The Discovery is part of an experimental project for a new way of FTL travel.
  • Burnham is trapped inside a forcefield, and gets ejected into space without a suit - possibly how she survives the Shenzhou.
  • The USS Europa rams a klingon ship.
  • First look at Harry Mudd. "You are mad!" "I am Mudd!" (I already like this glorious beardy bastard)
  • Jeffrey tubes!
  • Captain Lorca to Burnham: "You helped start a war. Don't you want to help me end it."
  • The Shenzhou is evacuated via escape pods and shuttles.
  • Burnham is ejected from a very intricately marked klingon ship - this time with an EVA suit, that has a damaged helmet.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
CetaMan
Youngling

Post by CetaMan »

Keep in mind that TOS-era phasers actually where blue bursts, at least the enterprise-fired ones. I'll consider these an updated graphic, as if they did the enterprise thing (mirror-universe epidodes and Defiant) and re-used old stuff It would sate us nerds, but also make others go "ew" at the effects/visuals.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Gandalf wrote: 2017-07-22 12:04am Why would they want to spend effort trying to appeal to people who would be turned off by different looking Klingons? If that's the fanbase, then fuck 'em. Go for a mainstream audience and actually turn a profit, like ST09.
It's not so much the Klingons specifically, but appearing to not pay attention to detail or doing change for change sake makes people worried there'll be more issues elsewhere in the stuff we can't see yet.

Personally I'm not a fan of the new Klingon designs not simply because they're different, but because... I don't think they look cool without hair, which is minor, and they don't look as good at emoting/showing acting, which is major, bigger appliances (even flexible ones) hides subtleties. Not a deal breaker, but it means they need to sell me on other stuff more to compensate.

That and there seems to be a pretty dark vibe here with a lot of action and explosions. I was really hoping to get back to the exploration, and this seems thematically much closer to the recent movies (with maybe a higher emphasis on personal drama? Still judging on trailers so hard to say for sure).
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

In a weird way, I feel Discovery looks both risky and unambitious. Unambitious in that it's sticking pretty closely to the Trek cornerstone species, Vulcans and Klingons, and even the most well-known Vulcan *family* at that. Risky, in that it's adding or messing around with those cornerstones. I feel like they felt using those two would be playing it safe, but overlooked how people have a critical eye there.

That said, just trailers, more could happen over the course of the series.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

Um
You might want to do a little poking around , that Vulcan family who so well known, they pretty well pissing on fans from about 40 floors up regarding THAT. And we'll just leave the deviations from canon alone for the moment. Plus, this aint the TOS verse. They really should stop screaming it is. It isn't. They WANT you to think it is, so you get sucked in. Don't make the mistake
When this disaster craters, Trek will need a decade before anyone will dare to touch it again
Ah well
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Burak Gazan wrote: 2017-08-04 10:36pm Um
You might want to do a little poking around , that Vulcan family who so well known, they pretty well pissing on fans from about 40 floors up regarding THAT. And we'll just leave the deviations from canon alone for the moment. Plus, this aint the TOS verse. They really should stop screaming it is. It isn't. They WANT you to think it is, so you get sucked in. Don't make the mistake
When this disaster craters, Trek will need a decade before anyone will dare to touch it again
Ah well
Oh, good news there: They've already got something in the works according to some sources, the director of Star Trek 2 is on it. It seems like they don't have faith in this so they're already readying the 'we always meant it for it to be one season, now enjoy this thing by an actual Trek alumni'. And I suppose if it does well, it'd be "And now you have two Trek things!".

And the family... yea, that's why I said 'risky.'

It's not 100% without precedent, Spock failed to mention Sarek was his father to Kirk until the event where they met, where Kirk said "and while we're in the neighborhood of Vulcan, you could beam down and visit your family, say hi to Mom and Dad." and Spock was, "Sarek is my father." This is after Amok Time and such when Kirk was already pretty much a brother in all but name to him... so Spock really didn't talk family! And then there's Star Trek Five which also introduced a new half brother... ... ok I realized pulling a plot point from STV may not be a great sign as I wrote that out.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

When you ref the Worst Trek Movie EVER (tm) as a guide, I can safely say that not only is that a bad idea, but the level of disrespect to the fans is such you should be burned at the fucking stake. Yeah saw the maybe kinda whatever Nick Meyer floating idea. It certainly clears up why these fuckers wanted to kill Axanar now, doesn't it? Plus , this whole licencing business is a colossal shitshow that I literally did not believe at first.
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Yea, I was kinda boggled by the license stuff too. Still, fingers crossed on the Meyer project, and maybe they can pull off the family thing better than 5 did... I mean, my hopes aren't super-high, but it's not out yet.

Ultimately, what I want, is exploration. Give me exploration in Trek and I'll be happy. Give me well trod existing cultures- or worse, altered versions of them, and I'll be bleh at best.
When you ref the Worst Trek Movie EVER (tm) as a guide,
Hm, I have a thread idea...
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Gandalf wrote: 2017-07-22 12:04am
Joun_Lord wrote: 2017-07-21 11:50pmDiscovery has too much riding on it to even get something as relatively minor as period attire wrong. Its got to win the support of fans burned by tv Trek, the fans who will stick with the show and buy its merch and keep the show alive week after week. Not saying their uniform choices or the choice to make the Klingons completely fracking different from anything before will sink the show but certainly will make Trek fans a bit more hesitant to invest in it either with time or money.
Why would they want to spend effort trying to appeal to people who would be turned off by different looking Klingons? If that's the fanbase, then fuck 'em. Go for a mainstream audience and actually turn a profit, like ST09.
A profit!? True Star Trek doesn't need to make money, and True Star Trek fans KNOW THIS!

Begone, interloper! :lol: :wanker: Sorry I can't keep up the facade of being in the 10% of the audience that hates any new Star Trek show, movie, or anything, really. But they'll watch even just to bitch and moan. It's fucking hilarious. They think they matter!

I mean they are so goddamned deluded that they think most of the audience for the awesome nuTrek movies were them and that the hundreds of millions they made were generated by them.

Brannon Braga said one universal truth that all new Trek writers, producers, and showrunners must learn on the first day of any Trek production: "Fuck the fans". And he wasn't talking about normal humans who love Star Trek, he was talking about the vile, bile spewing "fans" who fucking hate anything Star Trek that's new and/or doesn't fit into their preconceived notions of what a Star Trek production should be.

So "Fuck the fans!" Words to live by.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

I'm not in the "hate it" camp, but I am the "solidly worried it won't be for me," camp. If it's a well-done action SF series, that wouldn't be my desire, could even be fun, but I'm still gonna desire exploration!
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Q99 wrote: 2017-08-05 03:49am I'm not in the "hate it" camp, but I am the "solidly worried it won't be for me," camp. If it's a well-done action SF series, that wouldn't be my desire, could even be fun, but I'm still gonna desire exploration!
Who cares what you want? A good television show that pushes the boundaries and explores what it means to be human will suffice. You know, like 'Star Trek'.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Flagg wrote: 2017-08-05 03:38pm Who cares what you want? A good television show that pushes the boundaries and explores what it means to be human will suffice. You know, like 'Star Trek'.
Well, I care what I want, obviously. I can state my preference you know :) I'm not saying if I don't like it it's bad, it can be good and not-for-me.

And... yea, exploring what it means to be human is a large part of what I want, through the lens of flying around and meeting aliens. What I'm afraid of is it'll largely be internal politics of known powers, be more action-y, and not tread upon much new ground.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

I think I'm not in any real "camp''
But you have to ask yourself, at what point, when things are distorted so badly beyond any miniscule chance of resembling the past 50 years of movies and shows, is it even Star Trek any more? Beyond a logo and a name, which, BTW, they would kill you for your organs to hang on to . For money
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Nothing wrong with making money. I just want them to make good stuff about space exploration too!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

At least nuTrek had the decency to be an alternate timeline to explain why it looked different from prime Trek. This claims to be prime Trek... while looking nothing like it.
And the very fact that they are doing a Trek series means they are trying to get Trek fans, why else do another Trek series?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

The dirty, DIRTY secret they want to keep from the average schlub who just wants to see a good show, is that there is faction in the production people who want a reboot, with utterly nothing connected to the past 50 years of established Trek. But, they are sly cocksuckers, who know that coming out and saying THAT , would bring utter fucking doom upon their heads. So they keep mouthing the bullshit "its TOS timeline!" which is delivered pretty much at the same time as "SHUT UP!!" they explained
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Burak Gazan wrote: 2017-08-05 10:21pm The dirty, DIRTY secret they want to keep from the average schlub who just wants to see a good show, is that there is faction in the production people who want a reboot, with utterly nothing connected to the past 50 years of established Trek. But, they are sly cocksuckers, who know that coming out and saying THAT , would bring utter fucking doom upon their heads. So they keep mouthing the bullshit "its TOS timeline!" which is delivered pretty much at the same time as "SHUT UP!!" they explained
Big irony: If it wasn't Trek, we've be far less critical of it, wouldn't we? Like... it might not be the hopeful exploration show that I want but I wouldn't expect it to be.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

If it wasn't Trek, it would have to stand on it's own merits, say like The Expanse, and not be a completely retarded premise you are supposed to accept "because"
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

I think the production values and characters look good and the concept, divorced from Star Trek, is not a bad one.